Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

The buildings are possibly the worst aspect of the campus. The campus is constructed of nearly identical rectangular brick structures whose design creates wind tunnels, which are the cause of monsterous localized snow storms in the winter (October until early May) that often lead to red faces and upset papers in untidy binders. The environment does not satisfy aesthetic needs. The administrative buildings house committees that are inefficient and do not competently and effectively assist in student support services such as psychological aid, academic support, student employment support, nor in community services between the school and the community of Rochester.

The attention to students individual gifts and abilities, I think that teachers miss or overlook oppurtunities to get to know students further. It is also fairly easy to destinguish a teachers favorate student, and this fact creates an anxious learning environment. Through my experience attending two different colleges, I have decided to try and come to bearings with my environment. I do not think that there is an ideal college, just and ideal student; hard working, kind, diligent, and creative. Students at RIT know that they may not be encouraged to act this way.

Considering that I'm very happy with my college experience, the worst thing about RIT for myself isn't necessarily related to the college itself. Although there are plenty of events on campus to keep you busy, it isn't really located in a "college town". If your looking for something else to do during the week, you become pretty limited, as RIT is actually located in West Henrietta (just outside of the city). Buses do go to the mall on the weekends, but it really would be nice to have a college town environment surrounding campus.

The worst thing to me about the Rochester Institute of Technology is the amount of walking everywhere. But, I came from an area that was very distant from stores and restaurants, so it was hard for me to adjust to the difference. Here, at RIT, you have to walk quite a ways to certain areas on campus, but when you do find new places it is so exciting. I learned my very first month at RIT that there is a lot of distance from the dorms to the academic side of campus, but I have gotten used to it now.

I think the only thing I would consider to be a bad thing about my school is that its extremely expensive. I always find myself hoping I will be able to continue my education at this school. Unlike some of the students that I have come across, I do not have someone I can ask for help. I have to relentlessly apply to numerous scholarships, and hope that I reviece at least one. Times are hard, though, so everybody is trying to apply and win money for school just like I am.

The worst thing about RIT is the wind. The way they designed the school is so that it creates wind tumbles which makes things so much worse compared to the weather off campus. It is already cold in Rochester and the wind makes it even worse, especially when it is snowing. RIT is also bad at getting rid of the snow on the quarter mile, the way we all get to class. So you have to fight against the wind while trying not to slip from the slush and snow.

I think the worst part about RIT, is the seclusion from the rest of Rochester. The campus is located fifteen to a half hour minutes outside the city. I feel like I miss out on a lot of great things to do in the city. There are many theaters and performing arts centers that I would like to attend a performance at. The culture in Rochester is great and I would like to be around it more, and I think other students should know more about.

What students usually complain about at RIT is the school's calender. We opperate on a quarter system rather than the conventional semester schedule. Because of the quarter system, we haave shorter winter, and spring breaks and summer breaks. Also, the work load is very heavy and overwhelming if the stundent is not focused. An extensive amount of work must be covered in a short nine week quarter.

thanksgiving break is 3 weeks break. I believe it should be move to Spring Break as 3 weeks since spring is nice weather. Also, after 3 weeks is over, we only have 1 or 2 weeks in school then have Christmas break as 2 weeks. It's kinda of waste for students' transportation if they want to go home.

It is very hard to access professors. There are not very many older students at this school. It seems that most of the staff just want the students to hurry up and graduate and care less about the grades student's recieve. The students look stressed out and miserable most of the time.