Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

dork school, anti-social

RIT is known as a tech school by many, even with its broad range of courses and colleges. Some alums will return to talk about past employment when they visit RIT and tell students to expect the question "You went to RIT? You must know a lot about computer." The idea of a "brick city" characterizes people's impressions when visiting RIT, and is the nickname RIT has gained. I am told it is the second largest confluence of bricks in the world. RIT students are often called "geeks" or "nerds" and typically have no negative affect on the students. "There are a lot of deaf people at RIT" is also common. "There are NO girls here!" is another stereotype of the student body. This school is know for technical knowhow. Many stereotypes include students who spend hours on computers and science projects and have extremely pale completions.

I'd say that people really assume that everyone on campus is some sort of computer major and therefore creepy. Well, those people exist here, probably more so than in other places, but its not that bad. Another is that RIT lacks females. I'd agree with this even though it does seem that they are attempting to fix the problem. However, a lot of the girls being brought in are your "artsy" type girls.

All RIT students are individuals and do not have any social skills Students are nerds and live in their dorm rooms/apartments playing video games RIT works hard to bring students in and then forgets about them RIT has not school unity people want to graduate as soon as possible RIT students are only focused on themselves and do not care about anyone else

People tend to say that all the people at RIT are geeky engineering students. While this is mostly true, there are many many other majors and students at RIT. There are lots of students in Fine Arts, Sciences, and Business. RIT has a very diverse population of students. The other stereotype is that there are more men than women, about 7 men to 3 women.

That there are no girls, that the girls here are creepy, stuckup, or bitchy That the guys sit in their rooms and play computer games all day That the guys are socially stunted That the only thing that people study here is computer programming and engineering That the school is one of the top five ugliest schools in america because of all the bricks

The kids that stay in their rooms all the time playing World of Warcraft, the people that take Dungeons and Dragons way too seriously, the obnoxious, immature, and overzealous anime fans, the people that believe they're really a vampire or a red mage, students that don't ever bathe, the cape girls/boys, the Gandalf wannabes, etc. The list goes on.

The average RIT student is a young male, barefoot in a trench coat, sporting a long greasy, dandruff strewn mane, anachronistic facial hair and mystery stained sweatpants. He leaves his room and showers once every 2 months. In his spare time he plays computer games, watches anime and stalks the 5 girls on campus.

RIT carrys a stereotype of being a nerdy school. But it really isn't. I've been to other tech schools and RIT has it's share of nerdy, geeky kids that see the sun more in video games on their computer then the real sun. Also, i's assumed the female population is on the low side.

Some stereotypes for RIT, at least the ones that I told other people were that "RIT students are just a large group of Star Wars, D&D, Lord of the Ring, nerds that do not even see the light of day when it can be avoided.