Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

The Best thing about RIT is nothing! lol No the best thing will have to be the good companies that come during career fairs to recruit people for coops internships and full time jobs. I guess we have a good reputation of having smart students(true) so good companies come to recruit; mind you I haven't even reached the stage where I'm attending career fairs and yet I know! WHen I first arrived on campus (i never came to open house or anything) I thought the campus was super huge with a lot of people and I'd need a car for sure but I was sooo wrong!! The school is big but it really isn't that big. It's small enough to walk everywhere but large enough to have buses that take the lazies around. Also after the first two QUARTERS (yes quarter system something i did not know) I basically knew people enough to notice when tranfers or any people came in (maybe im jus weird) but you can definitely tell for some reason... Most of my time is spent in my friend's room!! When im not at work, class, job, or a club, her room 4sure!!! The next place would be the Student ALumni union aka SAU We are working on school pride, but currently there DEF is no school pride lol, maybe if they changed the very very ugle colors (brwn and orange not cool). People complain about the registration process! You have to wake up early on your designated day just to be able to register for your preferred class and sometimes you wake up 4 no reason cuz you still dont get in (6am if you're wondering). People complain about the places the buses DONT go off campus and how often it runs. People complain that RIT is WACK (i agree) There is no collegetown(not now anyways they are working on that) . ROchester is a very dull place unles you lik museums and such things and make sure you have a car to get there... Oh yeah not enough parties or good parties something along those lines. A lot of people complain about Gracies ( a dining place for students mostly for the freshmans ha ha lol). People claim the food is not good. In my opinion, Gracies is ok. Yes sometimes the food are a little... something i dont even know what word to describe it.... They have some positives that people usually dnt mention (if you lik to eat a lot this is the place for you because you can eat as much as you want). WHen I tell people I go to RIT they r like WHAT who where when and HOw? lol.. Im not surprised because I never heard of it neither and certainly did not know it was as prestigious as people keep saying it is. An unusual thing about RIT, that people also complain about is the holidays. since we run on a quarter system we have two WHOLE weeks for thnx givin break and another two weeks 4 XMAS break!!!! Other schoools usually have a month at least in NY.\ Controversies? I have no idea... im pretty sure there been a few maybe pero no se. The new President is pretty cool though!!! Quick shout out to PResident Destler lol

RIT's name carries a lot of weight because people see it as a "great school" or one that is "hard to get into". It impresses people when I say I go here, but I'm not sure that I like the quarter system that much. RIT's not too big where you might get confused as to where you are, but it's not tiny either. You typically run into a lot of the same students everyday depending on your major and where your classes usually are, but there are a lot of people on campus that I've never seen before or have never talked to before. I don't spend much of my time on the academic side of campus, the majority of it is spent either in class or back at my on-campus apartment either doing work or trying to get away from the never-ending pile of bricks that is "campus". There really isn't much of a "college town" yet. MacGreggor's is right around the corner and we like to refer to it as Building 0 because it's the most common place for students to go relax and have a few drinks. There is some construction going on now that is supposed to change that whole aspect of RIT by adding some new places to go that are on campus, yet pretty far away from the dorms and the academic side. The biggest recent controversy on campus is that for graduation this year we get the pleasure of hearing our own provost speak, instead of a more famous person, like a senator, or, like last year, a former president (Bill Clinton). There are rumors going around that this is because we were supposed to have Elliot Spitzer speak... but due to the recent allegations, we decided to cancel that.

RIT is a great place. The Best thing? call me wierd but its the architecture. Sure other places might have a little more green space, or buildings older then dust (they call it 'history') but RIT looks like a whole, looks like a campus and has nice new buildings with amazing facilities. As an engineer, I spend most of my time in the engineering building, so the campus feels very small and very big at the same time. Its all about how big you want it to feel whether your more comfortable in your major or end up with a group of friends from another college in the university. Theres not a whole lot of school pride which is depressing because RIT is so unique. We have so many cool clubs and activities, student activites range (literally), from building a race car, to printing the student magazine (We have our own full size newspaper style printing press), to hockey games (our number 1 sport). Its easily one of the most unique (and slightly unusual) schools around. The school is changing a lot lately, more concentration on graduate students and research but at the same time everyone is doing their damndest not to lose focus on the undergrads for whom the school is known. The coop program is in full swing (and paid my tuition this year) and is an awesome experience. Thing I'll remember most? Has to be climbing the sentinel freshman year on a dare...

Sometimes I get the impression that RIT is a next-to-Ivy-League school, and sometimes I feel like we're not doing as well as we could. I tell people I'm attending RIT and I get responses like, "Oh, wow, you must be brilliant." However, some of my teachers have been mediocre - the ones integral to my major, incidentally. What I like most about RIT is that it's easy to become a leader in extracurriculars. While RIT doesn't have an official music program and its arts are limited, there's a lot to do in the city of Rochester. All you need is a car and an interest, and you'll be endlessly entertained. For instance, last night I went to a swing dance downtown for the first time, and had a great time. Afterwards everyone was invited to the swing instructor's house for some more dancing. It was fantastic. Also, a lot of touring companies for Broadway shows come to Rochester. This year we had The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Avenue Q, Wicked, among others. There's a good amount of community theater to get involved in, including the RIT Players, RIT's biggest theater group. This year we did a musical: On The Twentieth Century. Our tech crew is fabulous, as one would expect from a technical institute.

The people that you know make the place where you are at. So that is one of the best things at RIT, and Sportszone. One thing I would change is to add flags of RIT colors around campus. It may make campus seem a bit more lively. The school is just right, and it would be good if it got bigger. People are usually impressed that I go to RIT, and more impressed about my major. I spend most of my time on campus in building 7a & 7b, the Phi Kappa Psi house, and the Ritz. College town seems good. Anything having to do with "Tiger Town" would sound stupid. RIT's administration could loosen up a bit. The biggest recent controversy is the Riverknoll apartments being torn down, putting a lot of kids "out on the street." There is not enough school pride, but if planned right, there could be. Maybe we could get a bigger venue to host sporting events. RIT is unusual since it is built on a swamp. One experience I will always remember is being part of Mr RIT my junior year. The most frequent student complaints are that the weather could be better, more school spirit (bigger venue for sporting events instead of a gym), and more girls.

The best thing about RIT is that it's hard to ever get bored. There is way too much to do at any given time. 15,000 students may seem like a very intimidating number, but it hardly ever seems like there are that many people, especially once you find your niche and get involved with clubs, jobs, groups, classes and friends. It's hard to walk down the quarter mile without seeing at least five people you know. If you're looking for a small-town university where everyone knows everyone's name, it's not going to happen here, but I think the size is just right for us because it's nice having that many different people around. There are always interesting people to meet. Right now there isn't much of a college town - in fact, "going out" usually means going downtown or to off-campus houses, but if you've been by the campus at all recently, the improvements are substantial. The "Park Point" college town is expected to be completed by August 2008 and is gorgeous, including new apartments, a Barnes and Noble, shops, bars and more, and will hopefully increase the social life around campus a bit.

The best thing at RIT is hands down the high emphasis upon real World experience with local businesses in classes and in co-ops. One thing that I would change is the color scheme of RIT. It is simply too dull in its approach. It doesn't grip you and is not very modern in its feel and is too unbalanced all around. One area the college of business has more of a modernistic appeal to it and the other colleges do not as much. For one thing Thomas Golisano does not really know design! I don't really know RIT's administration but in general from what I have seen from what they have done I think they are excellent. No real big controversy's have really occurred since I've been going to RIT. There is a lot of school pride for hockey yes. I think the strong emphasis on co-operative education is so relevant and makes RIT unique. One experience that I will always remember is last September when I dressed up like Ritchie and was at the Student Alumni Ball. I do not know what the most frequent complaints are because I am not a search engine or an analytics program. Haha I am a smart ass sorry.

Answers to questions in order asked: We have lots of freedom. I would change the male/female ratio, but I don't think that's what this question is asking. The alcohol policy (dry campus) sucks, but it's never enforced so that's kind of a non-issue. I'd have to say change the faculty. My teachers have been thoroughly disappointing. The size of the school is just right. Some react positively, some negatively. I spend time all over the place, evenly divided between work, class, my apartment, other people's apartment, dining areas, and the gym (the gym is fucking sweet). College town... yeah... The administration is alright, but my professors fucking suck. Last controversy? Some kid bringing a gun into the RIT inn, I believe. We never get any fucking snow days. Really shitty. And the Girl/Guy ratio is abysmal. Life changing experience... can't talk about that, but it happened my freshman year and it was fucking amazing. (No I'm not talking about getting laid.) I hate my life. (Also: I hate my major.)

The best thing about RIT is the number of opportunities. There are hundreds of clubs, activities every day. There are so many things to experience and if there isn't something going on you like you have plenty of opportunities to start something new. This can often be attributed to the size of RIT. Its the perfect size because no one group takes over, there is a little bit of everything. The size also helps the college over a wide variety of classes too. When I tell people I go to RIT they are impressed. Its not an easy school to stay in. The quarter system is intense. Its worth the work in the end though because your degree is that much more valuable because people are impressed with the school. One thing I will always remember about RIT is the people I met here. I met more international students and people from different backgrounds than I would have at most other schools. I have learned so much from these people. They have definitely opened my eyes, given me great experiences and will be something I always remember positively.