Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

First, I guess i'll start by saying that i absolutely LOVE my school. One of the only things I think I would change is that I wish it was smaller so that it was easier to register for the classes that I wanted, and so that administration could pay more attention to individual needs rather than our needs as a whole. When I tell people I go to RIT they get pretty excited, I guess it was a great reputation, especially for Photography. Rochester is not really a "college town", but more of an art town. It's filled with all kinds of art, and it's beautiful. RIT is located on the outskirts of the city in henrietta, so it's not crazy or dangerous, but if you wanted to travel into the city it would only take about 10 minutes. Our school pride is ridiculous, especially for our hockey team. Our hockey team is our pride and joy, and the energy that can be seen at the matches is amazing, i highly recommend attending one before you decide to come here so you can see what i'm talking about.

RIT makes me smile and shake my head sometimes. I see people walking down the quarter mile wearing a Santa hat in the spring, holding a "free hugs" sing, or just a large group of people having a heated argument about video games. The culture here just amazes me. It's just such a unique culture. The best thing about this school is that you can do what you want and hardly anyone will look twice. It's college, and people do the craziest things. One of the most memorable experiences that I've had, is when it was announced that the D1 hockey team would play in the Frozen Four. This was the first time this had happened. I was a freshman at the time and EVERYBODY was going insane. When the team came back to campus that night from playing a winning away game, their fans were waiting for them by the Sentinel statue beaming. The captains and goalie crowd surfed while everybody went wild with excitement. It was great that everybody came together to celebrate this wonderful occasion.

I truly love RIT. I think the best thing about this school is that the faculty and administrators want the experiences here to vault you to as many future opportunities as possible. Everyone stands committed to help you understand and achieve your goals. Through Co-Ops (meaning within the engineering discipline) I have received a very good reaction toward my being a student at RIT. The school has done a great job of making a name for pumping solid professionals into industry. The RIT community can seem fractured at times. Students typically move away from campus after their first year, and the school has little outside of class to attract students back to the bubble. There is no "college town" vibe. After regular class times, RIT can seem a bit vacant. With that said, there are always events going on in and around campus, its just a matter of going.

I was in the animation school, which was kinda ignored by the administration. The administration didn't care too much about the arts (in my opinion) and the school of film and animation didn't really understand animation. A lot of the film teachers were unwilling and didn't care about it, so you got a lot of ridiculous feed back. But in the end that was kind of preparation for the real world. As to hanging out on campus, I spent almost all my time in the lab. Towards the end, I slept the 6 nights a week. So yeah I worked a lot, but it was fun and a cool experience. I think I was pretty prepared for working in the real world. If I could do it again, I would have learned to spend more time enjoying my college experience and not working as much. I guess if it wasn't for climbing at the barn, I would have gone insane.

RIT's pretty much what you make of it. There's tons of teachers with loads of experiences that can help you get where you want to go if you're shooting for something really grand. But there's also a bunch of potheads that just chill around all day, and do whatever it is that amuses them. The dorms are pretty nice because of the cleaning staff, and there's a selection of apartments that are nice to move on to. If you're semi-rich, they just built a huge college town where the apartments are amazing...from what I hear. You can find good food usually, and if not there's always the magic of Wegmens. Library's nice and there's some pretty spots on campus. Just beware of the wind, it can make you tear by the time you get to class.

When I tell people I go to RIT, I get mixed reactions. Some people say, "Oh, cool! I had a [friend/relative] go there!" Others say, "Oh, where's that?" Once I say "...Institute of Technology" they assume I'm a tech person or an engineer. I'm technically an artist. I personally like the campus. Other students are tired of all the brick and like other campuses better, but I like the enclosed campus we have. Everything is together on one campus. If you live on campus you don't have to drive to class. I spend most of the time in the library, the labs, or the gym. If the weather is ever nice, I'll sit outside. I have a lot of friends, and sometimes we'll just sit around and discuss whatever.

the best thing about rit is... the classes and the actual learning. I'd change the campus atmosphere. It is just right as far as size as far as I am concerned. People always ask me if I am a virgin when i tell them i go to RIT. My classes and at the liberal arts building. "what college town?" The administration is trying to make sure all the students have no fun whatsoever. Party busting. Very little school pride. The campus is isolated and dead and the students are keep indoors away from the world. The experience i will always remember is getting my party busted. The most frequent student complaints is: "why is my party being busted?"

RIT is awesome! I did not go to RIT my freshman year, but when I transferred here I felt like I belonged. The students here are friendly and the professors are helpful and overall very nice. The best thing about RIT would have to be the atmosphere. If you felt like you did not fit in with the students in your high school, then you will most likely fit in here. When I tell people I go to RIT, they are very impressed. The school has a good reputation and it deserves it. I did not have school pride at my high school or my first college, but I definitely do at RIT.

RIT gives me several responses when i tell people that is where i go. I either get WOW! thats a great school you must be smart or i get OUCH...hows the nerds? But the WOW is enough to keep me here RIT has a good rep and thats all that matters to me. You can have fun if you let yourself. The student body is the perfect size and the worse thing about campus is the bricks.. not going to lie its a brick city but among all things its a pretty chill place

The best thing about RIT is co-ops. Not only do you get paid good money while in school, but its a walk in the park to have a full time jub lined up before even graduating. There needs to be more school spirit, but it is changing and growing. Almost everyone knows the school when I say RIT. We have our own school weekly magazine that really is well produced, but the best part was the crime watch, and they took that away!