Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

I really like the size of the school - it's big enough so that it's extremely diverse, but each major and college is like it's own group, so you don't have the feel of being at a big school. I spend most of my time on campus at work or in the art building - long hours are spent in the studio for a photography or design major. They're building a sort of college town right now, which looks like it's going to be a great place to hang out. When I tell someone I go to RIT, their reaction is usually a very positive one - this school has a good reputation. Of course, they also assume that I'm going to be an engineer when I tell them I'm going here, and when I say I'm a photography and design student I don't think they're as impressed... There isn't a lot of school pride, unfortunately. We aren't really that into sports (except for hockey!) I think that's mostly because if you come here, you aren't here because we have a sweet football team and party all the time, you're here because you want to get a good education. Unfortunately, the kids who come here and expect a crazy college experience give the school a bad rap... But if you're looking to party every weekend, there's always something going on. Plus, once you turn 21 there's SO many good bars and clubs in downtown Rochester.

Whatever it may be - if it's something fairly geeky or obscure, you'll find a group of people that know it and love it. I would change the housing process, including the mess that is the Park Point apartments - $1000 per student per month, with no priority to RIT students? What a joke. The school is just right- plenty of diversity, and you're rarely stuck with the same group of people for more than two classes. People are impressed when I say that I go to RIT. I spend most of my time in the residence halls. "What college town?" I honestly don't want a college town, I like where the bookstore is placed currently. RIT administration, I don't think they really think things through, or consider what will actually benefit students. Recent controversy? Some graphics media professor being arrested for child rape. School pride is there, but most people don't care. I don't. RIT's building design and placement has created a wind tunnel for students walking to classes. It's terrible on windy days, what is 50-60mph winds elsewhere is magnified to 75-80mph winds between the buildings. I'll always remember the Legend of Zelda race that was held on our floor's lounge. Four tvs, two gamecubes, a Wii and a Nintendo 64, 12 hours of fun.

RIT as a whole is a very small campus. It is completely isolated in the middle of nowhere, however, just 5 minutes of a drive and you have stores, a mall, and anything you could need. There is a project right now to build College Town close to campus, with housing, stores, and maybe some restaurants. The campus was built in the 60's so the buildings are very plain, square, and the same color of brick. It can be kind of boring to walk around in the "brick city". However, they are working on adding more flower beds and more tree's on campus. School spirit for Orange and Brown has been developing more and more every year I have been here. I would say now there is a decent amount of school spirit, especially for the hockey team. If I could change anything I'd decorate a little more the campus. I'd put in imprinted tiles on the walkways, I'd paint some RIT logo's around on benches, and I'd add more school spirit. I think the most frequent student complaint is that RIT is somehow trapped in a wind tunnel and no matter where you are walking it feels like the wind is in your face. You have to just come and visit to experience the wind, but yes it's very windy here.

Mmm the best thing about RIT....right now I'd have to say the networking and prestige that goes along with the name...I feel confident that I will leave this school a step ahead of most people from other colleges... I think the school is a decent size...regardless of the size, you're simply goin to be too busy to meet everyone anyways haha... I spend most of my time either in my class buildings or SAU...or dining areas....and SLC haha...(september-march i'm always in the pool).... School pride here is a little rough..fortunately the hockey team brings some in...but other sports somewhat die around here..I for one can say that swimming brings very little school pride...people prob. dont know we exist haha... I love mudtug..it's one of my fav. RIT events...and I loved my first year here...my dorm situation was perfect and i really enjoyed being a freshman hah...do NOT live in the dorm your second year...bad decision...it's only potentially perfect once haha... People complain a lot...but so it goes....the weather isnt perfect and everyone is stressed...but you learn how to manage time and you become an amazing worker....just do it...

I personally love RIT, which I know may not be the general feelings toward a lot of people at RIT, but if I could change one thing I thing is that I would allow people to legally drink on campus at sporting events, etc. I think it would bring a major profit in for the RIT school and people would enjoy being able to drink "legally" at the hockey games. When I tell people I go to RIT i usually get the "you don't belong there" or "do you hate it?" and most people are surprised I love it as much as I do. Most of my time on campus i can't say i spend it most anywhere. I go to my boyfriends apartment on campus a lot, but I also have my dorm, the tennis courts, the gym, and of course the academic side. The school pride is kind of low at the school but the members of SAAC and I are trying hard to bring school spirit up and I think over time it will work. One experience of my college life I will always remember was my first college party, which happened to be the night I met the guy I am currently dating. That was the night I met most of my close friends and I will never forget any of them.

The best thing about RIT is the quarter system. Right when you start to get sick of classes you are in finals week. This system is very business-like. Warmer weather would be nice, but really can't be changed. RIT is just right in size. With so many different areas of training it is large enough while classes remain small and many students take classes in different colleges within RIT. The coffee shop, Java Willies, is a great place for students to hang out and work on projects. Most students can be found here and many hang out there constantly. RIT administrators are very helpful. Some are geeks like many of the students, but by and large the administrators are passionate figures. President Destler, RIT's 9th and newest president, is pushing for RIT's new image as a University for Innovation. Recently, RIT's hockey team was involved in a huge in game fight sparking a lot of student spirit for their D1 team. The most memorable memory I have is taking classes in Second Life, the online virtual reality world. Students often complain of the cold weather.

RIT is very.... designed by an engineer. All the buildings are numbered in some crazy order that you would have to spin the map and throw numbered darts to understand, but you pick it up fast. The size at least compared to what I've grown up next to (THE Ohio State University) this is a small medium sized school in both student population and campus physical layout. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon can normally be done in like 2 or 3 here, and walking from dorms to academic side is over dramatized. Normally on foot (gentle mozzy) it's like 12-15 with a strong head on wind. Freshman year so far has been spent on campus, but really there are so many things to do like events (which normally have FREE FOOD!) are a blast and come on, Free Thursday Night Movie, more people should go, that's all I'm sayin. Hockey games are a must even if you don't understand the game it's a blast, I mean guys shoving each-other into the walls.... WHO DOESN"T WANT TO SEE THAT!

1. The endless amount of opportunities that RIT offers to its students... it is just a matter of promoting them and letting students know what is available 2. I would change the school unity... I would make it exist or help encourage students to interact and support many organizations. 3. I think RIT is just the right size. 4. They are impressed. The automatically assume I'm intelligent and have a great career ahead of me. 5. I spend most of my time in the Athletic Department. 6. There is not a lot of school pride, but we are working on that through Division I Men's Hockey, SAAC, and Tiger Den. 7. RIT is a very big video/online gaming school. Students devote their lives to playing on computers or doing their homework. 8. I will always remember Dr. Destler's Challenge. 9. Lack of school unity, RIT doesn't care about them, quarter system is too hard, we are doing twice the amount of work in half the amount of time compared to semester schools

RIT can be summed up with one word: monotone. For approximately 90-95% of the year, the sky is overcast, snow is falling, the weather is bone-chilling, and everywhere you look, all you see are two colors: the white of the snow and the red of the brick. In the school's infinite wisdom, they decided to build all the buildings from the same type of brick. As a result, whenever walking to class, it can feel like you are walking in a bad cartoon show with the background constantly repeating itself, as all see is red. That is, of course, when students succeed in lifting their heads while walking to class, which only occurs as a result of two things: the first being they were able to overpower the monstrously strong wind blowing at them, created by the wind tunnel of the buildings on both sides of the walking path. The second being the rare occurrence that the nerds/geeks are able to overcome their extreme anti-social tendencies.

The best thing about RIT is the great people I've met here. I have many close friends who are like-minded. One thing RIT could work on is improving the housing situation at RIT. Housing is expensive, dorms are tiny, and the on campus apartments are generally horrific. I know they're expanding and ripping down the older apartments (Riverknoll), but it's still meh at best. As for RIT being a good college apparently a lot of people back home know about RIT and think highly of it as being a good, difficult tech school. It's not as revered as MIT for example, but it's a serious school. RIT is located in Henrietta which is a small, boring town. There are some things to do, but nothing crazy like a big city. Rochester itself is pretty boring and we're surrounded by farms. There's not too much school pride. Sports aren't that huge here with the exception of hockey. It's definitely NOT a jock school.