Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

Dear college applicant, Before you apply to too many schools, think about it. Which ones would you not go to, even if you were accepted? Look at the campus pictures, or even the campus itself. Look at the classes - do you like the way any of them sound? If not, then you don't need to send an application. If you want to have a safety school, make sure it's a place that's relevant to your interests. If you want to go into engineering, don't apply to an art safety school. Talk to your parents, but remember, this is YOUR choice. You're going to be the one who has to study there, not them. Parents - respect your child's decision, but make sure to tell them what you REALLY think. Don't worry too much about the name of a school, look at the names of the companies who work with it. Most importantly, try to decide: what do you want to do? Who offers you the most opportunity to do it? Do you want to be there? I know it's hard, but you can do it! Good luck!

After I graduate from college I plan on working with professionals ,Scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing and coding for insurance purposes , taking and recording vital signs , medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood and administering medications as directed by physician. My personal ambitions are having a better future, help people and have a good job. I think that attending Apollo College will prepare me and give me the ability to get ahead in life. Attending College and becoming a medical assistant would provide me a better income and better opportunities. I would like to live and work in Tucson Arizona at a hospital or a clinic. My other personal ambitions are to have my own house and vehicle without struggling about how I’m going to get the money to pay for them. I believe that with the income of a medical assistant I can afford to do that and even have a little extra money in my pocket.

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to never stop doing scholarships. Even though you may not win 10 scholarships out of the 1000 you submitted, you should still continue to apply. You never know what you could win if you don't try. One day you could win a full ride scholarship to any school that you choose, but you will not know if you don't try. I would tell myself that I understand how let down you feel when you don't when a single scholarship out of the all the ones you submitted, but you cannot let that stop you. You have to want this more than anything because if you don't no one will. You are the one who controls your future, and no one else. No matter how many times you get knocked down you have to get back up, and try again until you get where you want to go. The most important thing you should remember is to not let having no money stop you from reaching your goals in life.

I would tell myself to not worry about what others think of me; that I should just be myself and join fun groups of people with whom I share similar interests. I would also tell myself how important it is to get school work done earlier rather than later. Having assignments finished allows me to rest my mind and not stress out about all the work I have to do. Another big thing I would have liked to know is how important it is to ask quesitons in class. Even if it seems like it might not be worth it, it definitely allows me to gain a better understanding of the material and remove any doubts that I may have. Finally, the most important piece of advice that I would give my past self is that I should enjoy what I am doing at every moment of my university life, because it flies by quickly and will be over before I know it. This time has given me some of my best experiences so far, and I don't want that to be over before I get a chance to enjoy it.

This school is very intimidating at first. But at orientation and the club fair, explore! Don't be afraid to walk up to a random person and ask about a club, or where a classroom is. Being a lady on campus will work in your favor in this male dominated school, so be courageous! Go take advantage of the free tutoring center if you get stuck on a problem; it does not mean your stupid, it means you are strong enough to ask for help and smart enough to look to others that may know a bit more than you. Walk into the latin dance club with confidence! Do not shy away when a man asks you to dance, smile and run with it, no matter how many times you step on his feet. And on those first few nights when you are feeling lonely, call your mom. Cry and talk about your big classes and new experiences. She will listen and help you realize that this new phase of your life is an opportunity for growth and discovery, not a miserable sentence into the unknown.

College life is nothing like your high school carrier and don't think you can treat it like you did high school. All those friends that you had from high school sports are not gonna be around anymore and you have to make new ones. Do not just stay in your room, do not spend all your time with one person you meet, don't focus on a girl too early. You have to get out there, join clubs and get a good group of guys before you do anything else. When thing get stressful you are going to need a support system in place. Do not let the easy start of your semmester pass you by. Use it to get ahead, and move forward into your new life. You will have no one to push you except yourself. Put away that cell phone and pay attention in every class. This is your future and it is time to take it into your own hands, laziness is your biggest enemy. Don't feel bad for yourself, get out there, get better, and remember one thing, "only the best is good enough".

As a high school senior, I wish I could have told myself that college would not be going to see your friends every day. College is about increasing your knowledge in certain areas of study to eventually obtain a career. Knowing what I do now, I would tell myself to look more into what I wanted to major in. At that time, I was undecided. I also did not know what my options were. If I would have done more research, I may not have wasted my time taking random electives. I wish I would have spoke to counselors at least weekly my senior year about my next step in my education. My parents did not go to college and my older brother only went for a year so we were in the dark. Taking more dual credit courses would have been beneficial as well. College is not cheap and it is not easy. There is no easy way out. You must apply yourself to what you are studying, whether you enjoy it or not, and learn how to succeed in any way possible.

I believe that finding the right college isn't as hard as parents and teachers make it seem. As a student who has some idea of a career choice, you will be able to find a college or university that suits you best. I do think that visiting a college, either before or after applying, is extremely important because, though you might not realize it, the environment of your school will be a huge factor in your studies. I would also suggest applying to as many schools as you can in order to give yourself enough options to make the right decision. You may have the "perfect school" in mind, but you never know what could happen in the time you're waiting for your acceptance letter. It's also really important to give yourself room to breath in this entire process. If you don't like your school, you will have options, but that's not an excuse for slacking off in your decisions. This is an important time in your life, try and make the best of it!

I think the most important part of choosing a college is looking for a school where they have a lot of corporate contacts for job opporunities, the facilities that pertain to your chosen field and if you feel they will be beneficial to your education, the people that attend the school, and the quality of the education. When it comes to making the most of your experience you should always make educated choices, make use of the advisors and other services on campus, get academic help when you need it DON'T LET IT SLIDE AND HOPE FOR THE BEST you'll totally regret it later, and definitely remember to make friends and support those friends and they will support you too. And last of all, do a lot!! DOn't let an opportunity pass you by to do things with others, it will definitely be awesome and you will likely remember a lot of it for the rest of your life. They try to say high school is the best time of your life but it's not, college is!

In the current difficult economic situation of our country, it's important for both parents and students to think and plan for their future. They need to be focused on how their degree will get them a successful career in a highly competitive situation. Choose a college where the material is applicable to industry, where classes are small so you're ensured to get the proper attention, and where industry experience is valued. RIT requires cooperative experience for most majors and employers continually choose experienced candidates over others. The campus life is what you make of it. If you want to be very involved there are plenty of exciting opportunities and if you're interested in doing your own thing you can. Choose a college that will help you get a career by teaching you applied knowledge and skills. Don't choose a college that takes pride in absure theory discussions and has large classes (>45 people).