Rochester Institute of Technology Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rochester Institute of Technology

Tyler

Rochester Institute of Technology is fantastic in terms of academics and campus life. The atmosphere is enhanced by the energetic people on campus and the events that occur at least once a week. While the brick architecture isn't the most appealing, some of the buildings on campus are quite beautiful, and the sculptures scattered around campus provide a bit of artistic aesthetic. RIT is a great place to learn and a great place to make friends while doing so!

Seryna

Rochester Institute of Technology is a wonderful school that provides many great opportunities, I could not imagine being anywhere else for school. I always look forward to going to class and learning new things, as well as meeting all sorts of new people.

Anthony

RIT is overall a great school. Most of the teachers come from the industry or have interacted with people in the industry, so they know what they talk about. On top of that, they lay out a path for you to take starting from freshman year, so you know what class you need to do and even require you to take some classes outside your degree in order to give you broader knowledge. Some majors even require you to do co-ops, which make it easier for you to land a job. There is always community activities going on, and we have a broad culture. Every race, religion, and gender has a place at RIT.

Calvin

I love RIT so much. It is an extremely inclusive culture and caters to almost everyone. There are tons of people to meet and interact with, and there is almost always someone that has common interests with you. There are tons of things to do on campus ranging from volunteer work, extracurricular activities, student government, self study, research opportunities, self driven projects, and even super computers! The community is very caring, and you have an enormous amount of resources available to you. If you need help, there are almost always at least three points of contact that you can get in touch with in order to get the needed assistance. This assistance can be, mental health, academic needs, disabilities, sickness, stress, relationship abuse, substance usage, and so many more! In my opinion, RIT is an amazing school, and everyone should consider it. Don't let money be a problem, because RIT will assist you in your financials if you are struggling!

Marchelle

It has a lot to offer in terms of facilities and academic support. The professors are very engaged and want to see the students succeed in their classes. The college also provides many opportunities for future employment. Overall it is comfortable and enriching.

Michaela

The decision to go to RIT was, for me, an easy one. Visiting campus for the first time gave me a feeling in the put of my stomach that told me that this college was going to be perfect. Having gone there for half a year now, I still get that feeling almost everyday. The professors are readily available and always happy to help you do well in a course. Although the academics are something that everyone agrees are tough, there are more facilities than first meets the eye to help students achieve. Transitioning to college was difficult for me and for a lot of students and their mentoring facilities are also very responsive and easy to coordinate with. RIT has one of the most inclusive and inviting communities that I have ever been a part of; it's a place where quirks are doted on and differences are encouraged.

Carlos

I feel as if it is hands down worth the tuition. The campus is extensive, so there can be something for everyone to enjoy. I enjoy my time even with the academic life being hard at times. It definitely challenges you to work your best and away from your comfort zone, which I believe is great preparation for co-ops and the real working world.

If you want to study computer science or any other type of technology, this is probably one of the best places. The Computing security program is getting a new building, and there are full-tuition scholarships if you want to go into computing security for the government. Campus food is campus food. Get the 10 meal plan. You have plenty of options, but Gracies isn't the best dining hall in the world. Gen ed lectures will usually be large, especially for the science lectures but the labs are small. There is a large population of deaf and hard-of-hearing people on campus because RIT is home to the national technical institute for the deaf, so be prepared to learn a little ASL. There are a lot of options for on-campus involvement, so you should be able to find something you like. Some housing options still don't have air conditioning so make sure you check what residence hall you're living in and plan to have a fan or two if you don't have AC, but it cools off relatively quickly. All in all, RIT is on the better end of colleges, and you should be able to find something you enjoy on campus.

Emma

Rochester Institute of Technology is overall a great school. I just finished my first year there in the University Exploration Program which is their undecided program, and have successfully moved to their Accounting program in the Saunders College of Business. In the University Exploration Program the advisers were extremely helpful and encouraging while making the transition to an actual program. Advisers were always willing to meet with me when I had a question and replied to my emails quickly. Academics- wise it was a learning curve. Coming out of high school and adjusting to a much more rigorous course of study was a change, but a good one. I'm challenged but not too much that I want to quit. Professors are pretty friendly and were always there to answer questions when needed. Food- wise there are a ton of options. From the everyday buffet at the dining hall, to Nathan's Soups and Salads, to Ben and Jerry's, they have it all. They try to accommodate people with allergies/ food restricting diets but they could do better. Campus- Wise the campus isn't as big as it seems. There's dorm side where most of the freshman live, and academic side where all the academic buildings are. Mostly everything is on or slightly off of what's known as the quarter-mile (the main walkway). From dorm side to academic side it's about a 7 minute walk. In the winter it does get pretty cold but the school has a tunnel system to get to some buildings. As a freshman the tunnels on dorm side were especially helpful since they connected to the dorms and two dining locations and two stores in the tunnels. The only complaint I have about RIT is their financial aid office. Multiple times now they have miscalculated or misled my family and I on how much my tuition really was. Scholarship and grant wise though they gave me the best financial aid package out of all the schools I applied for.

Joseph

I am here for the Game Design and Development program, and the Rochester Institute of Technology's game design program is one of the best in the world. I love this school because it prepares me well for the job market as well as preparing me for future co-ops and internships.

Dexter

Fantastic school. Quickly made friends through the plethora of extracurricular groups and clubs available, never at a loss for things to do.

Jason

The campus life has the greatest variety of interests you'll find anywhere. Weird is normal, and just about everything is accepted. Some of the biggest clubs are for the geekiest things, Anime, tabletop gaming, competitive gaming are all represented amongst the largest clubs. The variety of majors and the strength of disparate programs means plenty of variety in the interests. You can easily find artistic tech people and techy artists. Overall the campus's academics are increasing with the current administration. Top programs are probably mostly engineering and design, but a number of specialized programs (Comp. Sec., Imaging) are very strong. Computer Science and similar are good, but it takes a lot of work to be able to differentiate yourself from the other students, and you can be expecting to do a lot of work outside of class. There's a really strong career focus, and the career fairs, and other career connections that the school has can be immensely useful in the future. Graduates can have piles of full-time work under their belt, and unlike other schools, students pay no tuition, and are full-time students while on co-op. Many of the professors come from a mix of academic and industry backgrounds, so you can get a comprehensive education that prepares for whatever life path follows.

Bethany

I am going into my sophomore year at Rochester Institute of Technology, and I am pleased with my experiences so far. I have stayed with my major that I applied for and am very happy - but I have many friends who have made easy transitions into different majors. Professors here care and there are more than enough resources if you need help. I also love that there are so many events, activities and clubs to do all the time around campus. We receive emails, there are posters, and the club fair that promotes students to stay active and stay busy. But the main reason I came is because of the co-op opportunities, which basically guarantees a job after graduation. The only things I have to complain about is the quality of the food (at least as a first year student) which really isn't too bad, and the cost to come here. But overall, I am very happy and am excited for the years to come. Go tigers!

Jazmin

Great campus life, always extracurricular activities going on. Classes and teachers are awesome.

Craig

The Rochester Institute of Technology blends an atmosphere of higher learning and campus life in a very desirable manner. This college really has there act together regarding there students and the quality of the education. Best decision I have made so far in this life!

I really enjoy going to school at RIT. It is a community where diversity is celebrated in every aspect. They have cutting edge technology to learn and facilities are equipped with top of the line equipment. It is a great place to be apart of.

Ariana

It is good to a point. People do not tend to become involved on campus due to heavy workloads. A lot of people are geeky, which I do not mind, but is not my thing either. There are more men than women, but men always seem to find away. No one cares about the advancement in curriculum. Such as the design program were we are systematically used to produce client related work, rather than learning about the overall external social impact or audiences. A lot of people here are affluent, so being an underrepresented minority on campus, although there is a handful, is not the greatest. They other you if you do not receive the same benefits as them.

Morgan

This is a school that challenges students to work hard to get what they want. Overall, there's nothing that I absolutely hate about this college. I have met tons of people that I love, and there's so many clubs that you'll always find something to do. I would recommend at least looking into RIT.

Julia

RIT was a great match for me. it has a fantastic technology/engineering department. As far as sports go- hockey is the big thing. I wasn't really a hockey fan before coming here, I'd prefer to watch football, but the whole campus really gets into the men's and women's teams. The college does a good job of offering social events and getting the work out. There is a lot of available community involvement if you want to participate. The college is big, but it doesn't feel that way when you're there.

Bria

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) is an amazing university. It is special because there is something for everyone. There are sports teams with different levels of commitment. There are dance teams and acapella groups. We have over 300 clubs and organizations. The professors care about their students and want them to excel in their courses. There are plenty of resources on-campus from academic to health care. There are always plenty of events to attend on-campus, thanks to our College Activities Board. RIT has everything you need!

Toryn

I was a RIT student for a semester. It was a great school. Unlike other schools, RIT had an amazing disability services, and they were able to provide me all accommodations I needed. Unfortunately, RIT didn't have a nursing program after I found out that I want to major in nursing. I always recommend this school to high school students, if they are interested in programs that RIT has. If it has a nursing program, I would definitely stay there.

Alexander

It's a good school, but the overall outside look, with the bricks and the constant clouds, can dim what a great campus it actually is. The teachers here want you to succeed, and are willing to go out of their way to help, as long as you put in the effort that they are putting in.

Laura

They always say that you'll know when you find the perfect fit for a college. RIT is absolutely without a doubt the right fit for me. Every day I learn something new, whether it's in the classroom or outside. I can definitely say that RIT has so much to offer me, and I'm so glad I enrolled. I can't wait for the adventures I'll have in the next few years.

I love the atmosphere here. Not only is it welcoming, but the teachers and faculty are always around to help out. I really didn't think I would like it at first, but after being here for three years I have really gotten to know and love the community here.

McKenna

I absolutely love RIT, and can't wait to be a student there! I plan to play for the lacrosse team, participate in the honors program, and be part of a competitive 5-year BS/MS program, that has fantastic facilities and clinical experience opportunities.

Maria

My opinion on Rochester Institute of Technology, or RIT, is that they have good communities that people are aware of it like Deaf community and LGBTQ community. I love deaf community because I am deaf and it nice to be able to talk someone else in the community.

Aja

RIT is very diverse and there's something on campus for everyone. It's very easy to find a group of people that are just like you. Even though it's cold for the majority of the year, you'll find people outside doing different kinds of things. There's skateboarders, dancers, singers, computer scientists, politicians, workers, loungers. Everything you can imagine! Hockey is VERY important at RIT as well. Make sure to attend at least one world famous hockey game!

L

I am a graduating animation student. Overall, my experience of RIT has had its ups and downs. If you're looking here for animation, here's the picture: The faculty is generally kind, experienced, and helpful. They are terribly overextended by an incompetent administration that refuses to properly fund and staff our program. Don't let the talks of the green screen, the "renderfarm," and alums in popular films fool you. The green screen is often all scraped up, and we only have one visual effects class (our program head doesn't see VFX as a priority, despite every major Hollywood film having some sort of VFX). The renderfarm barely ever works and we are forced to use lab computers around our building to render our films. Any alum that has graduated and moved on to work somewhere great will tell you that they learned more by pursuing their passion outside of class than within it. The curriculum is changing to adapt with the times, so hopefully the school will prosper. Just a note: we recently had a scandal involving several Title XI complaints that weren't properly handled by our program head. You can look it up. Don't look at school rankings to determine where you go--judge it by what students say. If you're the kind of student that doesn't mind doing research and personal work to supplement what you learn in class, you can do well here. Unfortunately, every school has its problems and some things, you just can't avoid. Socially speaking, this school is a melting pot. You'll meet people from all walks of life, though we could definitely continue to improve on student diversity. At large, we're mostly introverted and nerdy. Politically, we're left-leaning, but tolerant of others's beliefs. The stereotype is that we're completely socially defunct, but that's the case at any tech school...roughly 10-20% of the student population can be awkward a lot of the time. A common pastime is drinking and playing video games with a group of your friends. The food on campus is okay at best. It's highly overpriced--I'd recommend getting into a routine with buying groceries to save money. The meal and debit plans are money pits. The dorms on campus are literal closets. Global Village is nice and spacious but horribly expensive, and the same goes for University Commons. Find somewhere cheap and close off campus, there's plenty of houses to rent that cost a fraction of housing expenses on campus. Don't worry about an apartment being furnished. IKEA furniture will help you save a lot; you're practically paying for furniture every month on campus. I will say that RIT is a very career-focused school. There's definitely a small party/drinking culture here, but most people are here to work toward their careers. Late nights of work are very standard (yes, even for art majors), so try to keep yourself healthy. Our career services counselors are a great, underused resource. I recommend trying out something unfamiliar for your immersion or minor. You might just learn a valuable lesson. So overall, don't come here for the glitz and glamour of RIT's marketing (or any other school's for that matter). Come here because you genuinely see yourself here.

Alicia

I really love this school. There are opportunities for everything, the academics are great, professors are great. Everyone is welcome no matter where they come from or who they are. Its truly amazing to see all the different lifestyles that get incorporated into this school. No one is an outsider. Overall really amazing.

Kyla

I am currently a sophomore in the health communications program here. The staff here is great, they are always willing to help out students in any way, either in person or by phone or email. I changed my major recently and it was a painless process thanks to my great advisors. Many of the food options on campus pretty decent, though many freshman students complain about the main dining hall which freshman are required to have a dining plan for. There is greek life, it doesn't run the school but for those who are interested it is available. There is a club for anything you can think of: juggling, latin dance, bitcoin club, religious organizations, political organizations, etc. There is an amazing co-op program and the odds of coming straight out of college with a job in your area of study are extremely high. I love it here, honestly. The atmosphere is great, the diverse community here is great, and a large portion of the academic programs here are very underrated. Over all it's a great place to study.

Vanisha

The students and teachers involved with RIT are very welcoming. The area surrounding the school seems very empty and uneventful, but the school itself has a lot of events and activities, so one can always find a group to join. There are many different people who come from various walks of life, so there is a very diverse learning environment. The school is great in terms of education. The teachers really care about their students and want them to learn.

Annie

Great School with lots of different major. It prepares you with material for the real world. Graduates form R.I.T are almost always hired immediately, and if you like travelling like me they are plenty of opportunities to study abroad and explore other cultures while earning a degree. Good to know is you can direct enroll at any of its international campuses.

Aliana

It is a great school and it offers a lot of opportunities, not just for academics, but for social and involvement, networking, as well as food. The college is always sponsoring activities for the students free of charge. Not to mention the opportunities to create, invent, manufacture, and patent our own projects.

Stephen

I am in my second semester at RIT, and I enjoy it so far. All in all, I think it's a fine school. The school's biggest draw was its co-op program. It varies from major to major, but for Game Design, at least, I would be required to do two paid internships in order to even graduate, so I'd be guaranteed some industry experience, and I'd be making money out of it. I still have a lot to get through, but if the rest of my time at RIT is like what I've spent so far, I think I'll like it a lot.

Coby

I love it here. It is difficult at times and requires a lot of hard work, but I learn a lot in my classes. I have also met a lot of interesting people and made friends quicker than I have anywhere else, especially from the special interest housing. It is pretty diverse and overall very accepting of different kinds of people.

Christoph

RIT is a university that promotes greatness. There are so many resources that can be utilized to make this the best experience possible for you, you just need to go out and find them. Clubs and Major Student Organizations are abundant, and there's always something to do around campus. The faculty and staff help students succeed in any way they can. The support you receive here as a student is second to none.

Adena

It's a wonderful school! Everyone there are incredibly nice and helpful. It's a very clean campus with lots to do. You have no reason to leave the campus as everything you can think of is right there. It values high-quality education and its staff does its best to help students succeed.

Eric

I love it. I could not have asked for a better college experience. The people, professors, and the atmosphere are the most welcoming and helpful of any I have ever seen. I found my brothers in my fraternity, joined a professional organization that will advance my career, and found things I'm passionate about with the help of everyone around me.

Emma

RIT is a great place for people who want a smaller, more compact campus without being at a tiny school in terms of student body. Many students are very involved with campus activities and it's easy to find events or opportunities to try something new or get free stuff. Additionally, most students have academics as a priority.

Youki

This is a tough, but good school. They deserve a far higher reputation than they currently have. While the classes are tough, the people are friendly and I really feel like I’m learning. There are a good variety of activities and clubs, and whether you’re sporty or geeky there’s a place for you. The teachers are always there for you, and you can get in touch with most of them outside of class without much issue. This is an intelligent, challenging, welcoming school!

Jason

Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks. Bricks.

Grace

Rochester Institute of Technology is one the most unique schools you can attend in the country. The spirit of RIT helps connect all different types of people, ranging from extreme comic book readers to your all round sports all star. However, the people of RIT aren't the only characteristic of it's uniqueness. I personally attend RIT because they are 1 of 2 schools in the country to house my major; Museum Studies. RIT gives you the opportunity to be whoever you want to be in one of the best environments of New York State.

Ruman

There is ample opportunity for help on campus outside of class, which students should take advantage of if they are struggling in their classes. A number of wellness classes are also available for students to take that help with evading the dreaded "freshman fifteen." Overall, RIT is an open college that is accepting of people from various backgrounds.

Douglas

It's a great school to go to even if it's a little on the pricey side. You defiantly will be able to find you niche here. Whether you're looking for a sport to join or a computer club to go to RIT offers a wide variety of things to get involved with.

J

Rochester Institute of Technology has been my dream school since junior year in high school. I'm happy to be able to go there and enjoy the environment that the school had provided. I really like the school and attending there is the best choice I've ever made.

LaKera

I really love RIT. Ever since stepping foot on the campus before attending I fell in love with the atmosphere. Yes, the majority of the campus is made of bricks, but aside from that, it's a very nice campus. The professors I've had so far have been awesome. It is costly, but I think it is well worth it if you're getting a degree in one of the top programs. Campus food is ok but pricey.

Thomas

Ft4rff'mmdkdkdkdkxkxkxmcmckxkxkxkxkdkzksksksksksksjsksksjsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsjsjsjsnsnsnsnsnsnsnnnnsjnsnnnsnnnsnnejennennnneenjejkfjdkdkdkdjdjdndndnsnsnsnsjsnsjssnsnsjsjsjsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsnsmsnsnsmsnsnkssnsnsnsnsjsnsjsu4

Paige

I really enjoy going here and, even though it was very far from my home, I am happy that I chose to go here. It has a bit of everything and everyone can find somewhere they fit in.

limits

not worth for international students who are looking to work in USA after master's. It's good for US students in terms of core study. but if you are looking for market oriented study.. you need to be cautious for chosing department. mostly Industrial department gives funding, but again feature work is a hurdle. CS and electrical are famous but it feels all business in terms of international students. Also the college is at remote location, so it's hard to get interviews calls. you only had to depend on career fair. IST department is bit market oriented but you need to learn a lot of things on top of that by yourself. If you will depend on-campus job for your expenses... it will again eat up your valuable time and you will feel it as waste of money and you important time of career. There are so many student at present across the USA that it's hard to get into job, just because of remote location and high expenses. Many professors are unpredictable and biased to their judgment..

I feel that RIT has a little bit of something for everyone. If you are the type of person who likes to be involved in the arts, there is a way for you to get involved with that. If you were an athlete in high school, there are a lot of ways to continue playing sports in college. If you were shy in high school and prefer things like video games, anime, or other things of that nature, there are clubs for that. In college they say that you find your friends for life. I didn't necessarily believe that before I came to RIT, but now I think that there are people for everyone at RIT.