Rochester Institute of Technology Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rochester Institute of Technology

Keval

Besides dorm life which is incredibly expensive compared to off-campus alternatives this college was a great fit for me, there are plenty of different types of students from all over the country and a solid population of foreign students here to create the unique culture of RIT. Overall I would say RIT is a great college with tons of great opportunities.

Dymen

I love it here at the Rochester Institute of Technology. I love the atmosphere here it's a fun place to be. There are tons of clubs to join and events are happening all over the campus all the time. I can only speak for the Computing College, but the professors there are great. (Be prepared for a very skewed gender ration though.) If you are looking for fun you can find a party, or go to a hockey game(Its RIT's bug sport). It gets cold in the winter(It is in NY) and you better love bricks because there are A LOT of them.

My overall opinion of RIT is that it's a good college with fantastic faculty. The faculty are very professional and are here to help with anything that is needed. The campus itself is a beautiful campus and has a rich history for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. RIT has one of the most diverse campuses that I have visited and attended.

Molly

RIT is very accessible for all the Deaf and Hard of Hearing students, and I love it. There's so many things you can find here that can be helpful for communication. There's so many Deaf and Hard of Hearing students here in RIT as well as hearing students, too. But what's really great about this college is that it provides a lot of resources that many disabled students need.

riley

RIT is not a super pretty campus unless you like looking at bricks. Even if you like bricks most of the buildings are simple brick boxes which is not very energetic. It is very windy here and walking from from freshman dorms down the quarter mile in the winter can be serious health hazard if any skin is exposed. Seasonal depression is a real thing.

Rose

As a Deaf academic-oriented HS graduate, I find Rochester Institute of Technology very advancing, and wealthy of opportunities way beyond my expectation. I am excited to start there this fall and continue expanding my knowledge, experience and ream the benefits as best as possible.

Sophie

RIT is a great institution for academics, my professors are always willing to help if you show you want to help yourself as well. There is a very wide variety of clubs and activities on campus, so there is definitely something for everyone. There is also great support for minority groups, like women in engineering.

Lucas

RIT's academics and co-op program are undoubtedly its main draws. The campus offers plenty of clubs and activities (though I frankly am not one to participate in many of them). RIT lets people be themselves (for better or worse, to be honest). It's not perfect and there are plenty of things people dislike, but they rarely detract from the overall positive experience.

Lily

I really enjoyed my time at RIT - it provided me with an excellent foundation for transitioning on to graduate study. I think the part of RIT I hold the closest to my heart is the embodiment of acceptance. You will find every type of person at RIT and there is such a refreshing willingness to promote and learn about different walks of life. Beyond the classroom, I learned so much about life itself and I have RIT to thank for that.

Amelia

Rochester Institute of Technology is generally one of the most deaf-friendly and accessible campus with interpreters (always striving to improve), which I really appreciate as a deaf person. I'm overwhelmed by how much academic support I've received from most professors - they truly want you to succeed. Their support for helping you to find internships, jobs, and careers are amazing - they're with you 100% if you try your hardest, no kidding.

Mina

I absolutely adore Rochester Institute of Technology. It was my first choice school and I'm so very happy to have been accepted. I'm absolutely loving being a software engineering major. I hope to be able to achieve the amount of money I'll need in order to continue attending. The atmosphere is lovely, the students are wonderful, and the academics are challenging in the best way.

Siobhan

It is an amazing school. I love technology and the arts, and this school has the perfect blend. Whatever you are interested in, people are supportive and eager to help you reach your goal. People are very welcoming here, more so than I noticed when touring other schools. Although it’s not the prettiest campus or in the best location (winters get pretty cold), it is an amazing and united location. Even though it is a large school, the individualized colleges make class sizes very personable (my major has classes of as low as 15 people). There is a surplus of clubs, Greek life, sports, and organizations to get involved with. There are also many charitable events throughout the year such as blood drives and Relay For Life. The enthusiasm of students towards these is amazing! Not to mention there are many events throughout the year such as Freeze Fest, Spring Fest, intense hockey games, Brick Hack, and more that give out lots of free swag. There are so many opportunities here, especially with the co-op program that allows you to take a break from school to get real world work experience in your field (and get paid!). RIT truly helps you make you goals a reality in the most supportive, fun way possible.

Mandi

I love RIT. I knew from the first visit that I had that I would go there. All the Professors are very polite and helpful. They will help you with anything if you need to just talk or need help with your work they will be there for you. the class size is perfect for me. The Athletic Building is great I normally will go 3-4 times a week to go to the pool to swim for an hour. One of the things that I love is that RIT gets the walkways and roads on campus cleaned up really great in the wintertime before classes start so you are not walking in the snow. The only thing that I wish is that the advisors were trained better I have had a little bit of a hard time with my advisor with my classes.

Jack

It is a pretty great school with a very friendly community and good professors. Honestly, it is a bit expensive for me but that's why I try to earn scholarships like this one. However, if you can get over that, I am positive that anyone could have a great time at RIT. From it's multitude of academic opportunities to it's extracurricular activities, there is something here for everyone.

Curtis

RIT was my top choice school when I was applying to colleges. The main thing I was looking for while searching for schools was a good program in animation because that’s what I was looking to study. I started off by looking at the Animation Careers list of top animation schools in the country, and RIT was on that list. After doing some more research on notable alumni and seeing examples of student work, I thought it would be a great school to check out. While I was most concerned with finding a college with a good animation program, I was also really interested in finding a school that would give me the opportunity to try my hand at several kinds of studies. RIT definitely makes it easy to take classes in things you are interested in outside your major. As a senior in high school, I liked the idea of having the option to change my mind as well. RIT has all kinds of major programs, so I knew that if animation wasn’t what I expected, then I could choose from a whole variety of other programs. I felt like I would be limited in my choices in art schools, so this is part of the reason I chose RIT.

Alexis

It's really great for all the people in the world, even for international people, but NTID (National Institue for the Deaf) is for deaf or hard-of-hearing students only. It is only available at the Rochester Institute of Technology. However, I wish they had more majors such as animal science and pre-vet classes, also some zoology as well for students who wish to go to a vet school after graduation.

I think that RIT is a great school that strives to help there students succeed in all that they do. The school has an abundance of majors, minors, and immersions to choose from as well as extracurricular activities. The campus is large and lively with a diverse crowd of students and the professors are mostly very accommodating.

Bridget

What made me choose Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) is that I truly liked their program above all of the other schools I applied to, and I found that their program really was a better quality when I started attending. I am a film major, so the ability to have access to reliable and high quality technology and equipment was very important to me, and RIT really provided. Seeing as they are a tech school, they have a lot of equipment that students are allowed to check out on the daily. All of the professors in my major are intelligent and they go out of their way to help students gain as much information about their desired careers as possible. As for the school itself, the faculty and staff members are all amiable and knowledgeable of their designated fields. During the past few months with the COVID-19 outbreak, they were nothing but helpful and accommodating with communicating to their students. Even though it is a large school, there is definitely a sense of community within the people who go there and you can really tell that everyone cares about each other.

Peter

It is a great school. Currently I am going here as a student athlete. Facilities for athletics and academics are outstanding. Dorm side can be sucky at times but overall I love the school. Can get cold for long periods of time but doesn't really bother me. Love RIT.

I loved RIT. I was there for my bachelor and master's degree in Communication. The COM department is wonderful with great professors that I keep in touch with to this day. My former chair and mentor even came to my wedding. It was a great experience and wonderful education. I would definitely go back if I could do it all over again. I loved my college days.

Sydney

I have enjoyed being at RIT. The campus culture is nerdy, but there are people who are not nerdy on campus as well. The campus is isolated from Rochester, which is good and bad. The food is decent (RITz, Salsa's, and Crossroads are my favorites). Academically, I feel like most of the teachers are there for you.

allen

how do i apply

Lacey

RIT is one of the best colleges for Computer Science and other related major. It is a tech school so you can expect most of it's time, money, and resources to go into that. However that's not JUST it. Partnered with RIT is the other on-campus college NTID or the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. Not only is this great for hard of hearing and deaf students, but it opens up the opportunity for learning about the culture and community surrounding it with amazing classes. RIT first and foremost is set on getting you a career in whatever you want to do through the use of co-ops or internships and huge career fairs to talk one on one with companies. Career services are easily reachable to help with resumes and interviews. They also have plenty of on campus events for things like this. The only thing lacking when it comes to RIT in my opinion is fine arts, but I also can't speak from personal experience on this. I am a Computer Science major and therefore don't have a lot of experience when it comes to liberal arts. People I have known throughout the years have just always made the same claim that RIT doesn't have the same amount of resources and opportunities for liberal arts majors or even majors outside of Computer Science/Software Engineering/etc.

Jessika

This is a good University, I just come from a very different place with lots of diversity and a different culture so i'm still adjusting. You have to look for your own opportunities but that applies to all schools. I wish they had more students of color.

Jade

It is a fine enough school. But if you are searching for a school with a rich social life, this may not be the best for you. I think that the academics are amazing for anyone who is going into engineering, biology, chemistry or other STEM fields, as long as you don't mind there not being a lot of overly social people around you.

Anna

The school is one of the top rated private technology school in the country and it shows with the rigorous academic standards. The professor's are very helpful and so is the rest of the staff.

Anna

RIT offers great academics and I've yet to run into a bad professor. Most are empathetic and well trained in their field. As a female from an urban background, I have found a hard time fitting into the more nerdy atmosphere of my major. However, it is completely true that every major has a completely different culture from one another and I am in GCCIS. The location and academics are great, but I still haven't found my niche in the student body.

avalon

There is a large group of people. At first I was worried about being able to find people who have similar interests to me. A large population of RIT is know for being "nerdy". Interest in video games is high- as well as computer science and coding stuff. Meanwhile, in a group of 18,000 students, it would be impossible not to find someone who feels the same way.

Joshua

Rochester Institute of Technology is a great school to go to if you love hockey and getting a great education. The main issue with this college however, is that when you are a freshman, you are required to get a mealplan that includes going to Gracies as a part of it. While it is an all you can eat, the food can be pretty subpar, unless there is an event going on. After freshman year though, you can much more flexibility in your mealplans (though if you live in dorms, you are required to have one). Oh, and one last thing, the microwaves come with a built in smoke detector, and are falsely triggered by cooking food, causing causing the microwave to refuse to work. Most people i've met could only get it to work for a solid 1:30 straight before it shut off.