Rockford, IL
Rock Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rock Valley College

Cydney

One of the top rated community colleges in Illinois, and I could live at home while attending.

If I could go back in time to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to study for every exam even if I felt like I knew the material well enough not to. I would also tell myself to pay attention in every lecture and to take extensive notes.

I wish I had been tought how to study more efficiently durring high school so that I was more prepared for college.

James

Ronald Raygun was the worst thing to happen to this nation his racist ideals and lack of compassion to the poor will go down in history as the most destructive Administration of the later part of the 20th century, knoing this I would have left the UsA for Canada.

The classes are managable informative and current. The value is unbeatable there is no where to attend college in the area that can match the cost to learning ratio.

The Conservative administration , they do not hold the idea of redemption as a viable thought process.

Diana

Many of my classmates are respectful and each have their own unique story.

Many of my classmates are respectful and each have their own unique story.

Well, high school senior me, I would tell you to continue working hard because it will be very useful in college. Working hard goes beyond effort, it also means flexibility. Continue trying out new note-taking skills, test taking strategies, and studying tips. The ability to switch between these strategies depending on the college course you take is extremely important and will help you immensely. Also, keep looking for scholarships. Research your heart out and create lists of everything you qualify for. I warn you though, please don't overwhelm yourself with your scholarships, academics, and volunteer activities. Time management and balancing is key.

I think the most frustrating thing is the interactions between students. No one really tries to get to know each other, many are there to just knock out their gen eds and move on. I understand wanting to move on, but it would be nice to have RVC make it known students should make an effort to establish connections. Two years is still a lot of time to be spent at a college, and it frustrates me when students don't get to know the students and faculty.

Carey

I would tell my high school self: Do not eliminate any possibilities. Do not settle for less! There is so much opportunity for you to succeed. Find that drive deep within you (that we know we have) and make it happen. Oh yeah, and by the way, you're gonna change your mind many times as you go through, but that's OK. College is all about finding yourself. It's going to be a heck of a ride, Carey!

The chances to be involved here are numerous. Be sure to get yourself involved in class discussion, get to know your instructors and get to know your classmates. It will make a world of difference in your experience here.

I wish I had known just how beneficial I would find it.

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, the best advise I could give myself about college is not to put anything off such as applications, fees, scholarships, and to never miss a deadline! No matter how stressful and discouraging it feels to be so young and try to plan out your future as well as applying for schools & scholarships that best fit your needs and accomplishments, never give up hope in yourself or in your future. You need to remember that hope and determination can help you accomplish your biggest life goals and you will definitely need that motivation in college. Also, I would remind myself to be more independent, no one can hold my hold my hand and walk me through everything anymore. I would lastly remind myself that the success of my future lies in my own hands, no one else's.

The worst thing about the school I attend is that it's very difficult to get ahold of your advisors and counselors. Most of the time they are never in and they never answer the phone or respond to voicemails. It is very stressful sometimes, especially when you need to discuss financial aid or get your trascripts.

I very impatient person should not attend this school due to the school's lack of guidance and communication. Also, a person who needs constant help and guidance would not work well in the institution due to the lack of available counselors and advisors.

Kyle

Again, being a community college, aspects of school pride, and 'campus life' are typically bereft from one's experience here. The campus is really pretty though, and you will have a chance to meet some pretty interesting people. The math and science building is gorgeous (though being a music major, i don't see too much of it). Early in the spring semester we had issues with a potential faculty strike, though it was resolved. The library suits my needs, and if I have an hour between classes sometimes I go there and read a book, or head down to the practice rooms near the PAR (if I can find an open one).

Ahh yes, students. Many of them are home schooled, which makes an interesting experience for myself. Almost all of them are from the rockford area, and 'middle' class. Political activism is not a standard in our catalog in conversation, so sadly we lack in that area. I suppose ignorance, in the not-so derogatory sense is the best way to describe us.

To the best of my knowledge, the teachers knew my first name in all of the classes that I took, and if I see them outside of class they usually say hi to me at the very least. I haven't had difficulty getting with teachers during their office hours, and the ones in the music department are typically willing to talk with my for extended periods of time about career more than academics. The most unique class I've taken has been music theory, though more because the students are unique, rather than the class. It's much like other theory cirrocumuli at other schools, and I'm convinced our aural skills teacher does an extremely good job.

Being a community college, I suppose the largest stereotype is that most students are lazy, unmotivated, or simply lack intelligence. While those traits exist in many students, once you move past the general courses required for most degrees (Speech, Eng 101, freshman math courses, etc.) you'll realize many students are here for a purpose, and use the community college to their advantage.

Alexander

Because Rock Valley College is located in the rural Midwest, there is a high number of students from farming communities. Many of the other community colleges regard us as hicks, but we sure showed them at the basketball regionals. Also, there is a large number of non-traditional students at Rock Valley due to the current economical issues in Rockford and the surrounding areas.

Most of my classmates are younger than I, and seem to be there for a good time.

Most of my classmates are younger than I, and seem to be there for a good time.

I would tell myself to really think through the college life. I would try and convince myself to go into college with the attitude that I should be thankful that I even have the opportunity to be at a higher education school. I would tell myself that school matters and that I should do the best that I can with the hand that God has dealt me. I would tell myself that if there is any doubt about attending school right away after high school that I should wait, because everything I do at school matters the second I start. I would encourage myself to be serious about everything that I do from that point on.

The worst thing about Rock Valley College is how busy the school is. Every year there seems to be more and more students at school. It makes parking hard and also applying for certain classes difficult. The math and science courses fill up the first day of registration and thus are extremely hard to get enrolled in.

Stefanie

I didn't consider another school because I had heard so many positive things from my peers who had previously attended Rock Valley. I also was limited to a community colllege to start my continuing education.

I would tell myself that college isn't only about academics. It is filled with many opportunities that don't even involve a pen a paper. If I could open my mind to the possiblities of enriching myself as a human being, not just a student, I would be rewarded. Get envolved, get educated in everything that your college has to offer and take advantage of all the opportunties that are waiting for you. Use this time as a trial and error period, rule out nothing until you've tried it. Never decide that something isn't for you until you give it a chance. College is when you can truely discover what your made of and what makes you.

I wish that I wouldn't have worried about choosing a major before I enrolled in college. I have learned more about myself as a person, not just as a student. By knowing more about the subjects that I truely enjoy I can direct myself to a more appropriate career choice. Courses that challenge me and keep my attention indicate a good choice and some of my strengths weren't apparent to me until I was challenged.

Rock Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.