Rockford, IL
Rock Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rock Valley College

Sharon

RVC is a great place to start off. All the professors I've met have been really nice and willing to help. There are lots of things happening so it's easy to get involved with the school and have fun. Just about every resource you could need is available and it's a really nice campus.

Allegra

The unique thing about Rock Valley Colege is the afforadabilty of classes that transfer to nearly every university. I had intially transfered to a four year university at the junior level of my school of choice accepting classes both in general education and performing arts without having to retake a single class. Affordabilty of a quality education that saves time and money is what I remember.

Assuming I could speak to my high-school-self, I would tell myself to write more. Writing was a category like music, sports, and the arts - where I believed one either had a gift or they did not. I believe writing had a glass-ceiling of potential that could not be surpassed without naturaly gifting. I believed that only the well-spoken would be heard and that only their voices mattered, so there was no use applying myself there. But, that was a lie. No one knew my vocabulary would tripple in college. I would soon own hundreds of books in multiple subjects and learn things that would improve my life and help others succeed in areas where I taught them. The girl that was always passed over in high school worked hard and found ways to teach the unteachable and reach the unreachable. What did not work for her she found could help others and identify with those who struggled in areas those with natural abilities could not relate. Writing is a process and it will always need improvement. Writers make multiple drafts and edit their ideas multiple times. But, it is worth it to write.

The person that wants to attend a school where they can skip class and make up for missed days/work, with extra credit, should attend another school. Many professors could potentially round a grade for one with perfect attendance, while nearly flunking someone with A+ course work who misses a handful of classes. It is rare to get extra credit, and most proffers in colleges never offer it. If you donnot read ad follow the syllabus, donnot expect to pass with a good grade. College is more than listening and turning in work.

Cydney

One of the top rated community colleges in Illinois, and I could live at home while attending.

If I could go back in time to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to study for every exam even if I felt like I knew the material well enough not to. I would also tell myself to pay attention in every lecture and to take extensive notes.

I wish I had been tought how to study more efficiently durring high school so that I was more prepared for college.

James

Ronald Raygun was the worst thing to happen to this nation his racist ideals and lack of compassion to the poor will go down in history as the most destructive Administration of the later part of the 20th century, knoing this I would have left the UsA for Canada.

The classes are managable informative and current. The value is unbeatable there is no where to attend college in the area that can match the cost to learning ratio.

The Conservative administration , they do not hold the idea of redemption as a viable thought process.

Diana

Many of my classmates are respectful and each have their own unique story.

Many of my classmates are respectful and each have their own unique story.

Well, high school senior me, I would tell you to continue working hard because it will be very useful in college. Working hard goes beyond effort, it also means flexibility. Continue trying out new note-taking skills, test taking strategies, and studying tips. The ability to switch between these strategies depending on the college course you take is extremely important and will help you immensely. Also, keep looking for scholarships. Research your heart out and create lists of everything you qualify for. I warn you though, please don't overwhelm yourself with your scholarships, academics, and volunteer activities. Time management and balancing is key.

I think the most frustrating thing is the interactions between students. No one really tries to get to know each other, many are there to just knock out their gen eds and move on. I understand wanting to move on, but it would be nice to have RVC make it known students should make an effort to establish connections. Two years is still a lot of time to be spent at a college, and it frustrates me when students don't get to know the students and faculty.

Carey

I would tell my high school self: Do not eliminate any possibilities. Do not settle for less! There is so much opportunity for you to succeed. Find that drive deep within you (that we know we have) and make it happen. Oh yeah, and by the way, you're gonna change your mind many times as you go through, but that's OK. College is all about finding yourself. It's going to be a heck of a ride, Carey!

The chances to be involved here are numerous. Be sure to get yourself involved in class discussion, get to know your instructors and get to know your classmates. It will make a world of difference in your experience here.

I wish I had known just how beneficial I would find it.

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, the best advise I could give myself about college is not to put anything off such as applications, fees, scholarships, and to never miss a deadline! No matter how stressful and discouraging it feels to be so young and try to plan out your future as well as applying for schools & scholarships that best fit your needs and accomplishments, never give up hope in yourself or in your future. You need to remember that hope and determination can help you accomplish your biggest life goals and you will definitely need that motivation in college. Also, I would remind myself to be more independent, no one can hold my hold my hand and walk me through everything anymore. I would lastly remind myself that the success of my future lies in my own hands, no one else's.

The worst thing about the school I attend is that it's very difficult to get ahold of your advisors and counselors. Most of the time they are never in and they never answer the phone or respond to voicemails. It is very stressful sometimes, especially when you need to discuss financial aid or get your trascripts.

I very impatient person should not attend this school due to the school's lack of guidance and communication. Also, a person who needs constant help and guidance would not work well in the institution due to the lack of available counselors and advisors.

Kyle

Again, being a community college, aspects of school pride, and 'campus life' are typically bereft from one's experience here. The campus is really pretty though, and you will have a chance to meet some pretty interesting people. The math and science building is gorgeous (though being a music major, i don't see too much of it). Early in the spring semester we had issues with a potential faculty strike, though it was resolved. The library suits my needs, and if I have an hour between classes sometimes I go there and read a book, or head down to the practice rooms near the PAR (if I can find an open one).

Ahh yes, students. Many of them are home schooled, which makes an interesting experience for myself. Almost all of them are from the rockford area, and 'middle' class. Political activism is not a standard in our catalog in conversation, so sadly we lack in that area. I suppose ignorance, in the not-so derogatory sense is the best way to describe us.

To the best of my knowledge, the teachers knew my first name in all of the classes that I took, and if I see them outside of class they usually say hi to me at the very least. I haven't had difficulty getting with teachers during their office hours, and the ones in the music department are typically willing to talk with my for extended periods of time about career more than academics. The most unique class I've taken has been music theory, though more because the students are unique, rather than the class. It's much like other theory cirrocumuli at other schools, and I'm convinced our aural skills teacher does an extremely good job.

Being a community college, I suppose the largest stereotype is that most students are lazy, unmotivated, or simply lack intelligence. While those traits exist in many students, once you move past the general courses required for most degrees (Speech, Eng 101, freshman math courses, etc.) you'll realize many students are here for a purpose, and use the community college to their advantage.

Alexander

Because Rock Valley College is located in the rural Midwest, there is a high number of students from farming communities. Many of the other community colleges regard us as hicks, but we sure showed them at the basketball regionals. Also, there is a large number of non-traditional students at Rock Valley due to the current economical issues in Rockford and the surrounding areas.

Rock Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.