Kansas City, MO
Rockhurst University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rockhurst University

Rebecca

My classmates are full of energy and excitement. Everyone wants to learn and have fun together. We find ways to make long projects fun and exciting. However, all my classmates are also willing to seek help when they need it. There is no judgement when people struggle in a subject, and there are always people who are willing to help. Aside from academics, my fellow classmates are interested in creating friendships that last a lifetime. Everyone wants to make strong connections that will help them grow as a person, but also to help them when they start applying for jobs.

I would tell myself to relax. College is an exciting time. Moving away from home is a great experience, but going back home for breaks are just as enjoyable. I would also tell myself that I do not change as a person, and the relationships that I want to work will. It takes some extra effort, but the experiences and memories are worth every extra effort. I would also tell myself to get involved but not to stretch myself too thin. It is really easy to want to do everything, but sleep is necessary and people are ok with you taking naps. Just get out and get invovled. It makes the transition process so much easier. I would also suggest to enjoy every minute of it and to not take anything for granted. Before you know it, the semester is over. Enjoy the late nights in the lobby and with friends. They make some of the best memories, and they create friendships that will last a lifetime.

I love the people. Everyone cares about each other, and the community at Rockhurst cannot be replicated. If someone's family is going through a difficult time, the Rockhurst family prays and assists them in the ways they can. I also love that even if you can't go to dinner with your closest friends, you can always find people to sit and eat with. People are not exclusive, and they are geniunely interested in getting to know a variety of people. So overall, I love that Rockhurst has a strong support system and cares for each individual.

Angelica

If I got to meet myself at the beginning of senior year, I would tell myself to start visiting as many colleges as possible. I would want to open up my options and find the perfect school. I also woud have let myself know that applying for scholarships and grants is very important to help pay for school. College life is going to be hard to get in to but if you work for it, you can finish and begin your career.

Kim

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to have more fun! Knowing that I'd always be a studious person, working hard in school would not be the issue. To have a healthy social life is just as equally important as doing well in classes. I would've told myself to speak to more people! That would have made the loud girls in the dorms a little less annoying because I would've been a part of that laughter. I would've told myself to not procrastinate! That opens the doors for regrets! I would say that the high school me should talk to people about classes to take and teachers to avoid. I would've said to look harder for those scholarships! If you don't have enough funds, you have to pay out of pocket, stupid! "You don't have that kind of money!" High school was a breeze compared to college. They trick you because there's less work given but the still needs to be aced! The high school me thought she could do it all without studying much. Think again!!

Chester

Looking back at my college experience, I wish I would have taken more initiative in learning the daily tasks and activities that my mother had always done for me. My mom washed my laundry, cleaned my room, payed my car payment and insurance, made my doctor/dentist appointments, and prepared most of my meals. I had it made easy. Unfortunately she could not go to college with me. Had I taken that initiative before setting out on my own on campus I feel that I would have done a better job of managing my finances, I wouldn't have ruined as many clothing items as I had, and would have been able to avoid "the Freshman 15" (I actually gained 25 pounds my first year). So if I could go back in time I would tell myself to take notes and listen while my mom shopped, payed bills, and washed clothes so that I could do so for myself with ease. The most valuable lesson I learned was that a mother's wisdom is priceless.

Aside from the obvious givens, (stress less, stock up on pre-packaged meals, become an avid coupon-clipper, and please, please, please, color code your folders, so you don't show up for a speech in religion, with only a handful of packets on evolution!) I suppose, out of order of importance, I would narrow it down to "learn the value of sleep quickly, so when your coffee coupons run out, you don't have a mental breakdown". Now, that seems like a good habit I should have established well before the time I graduated high school. Wrong. I don't believe getting adequate sleep ever really becomes a habit, but rather, is a necessity we try to keep consistent. There's a difference, and the key word is "try". It's much easier to bargain with something you can trick yourself into thinking you can skimp on for "just one night". And coffee! Oh, the miracle concoction for a sleepy head, and yet, also a sneaky little thief who's got hold of my wallet. Once I put an end to the bargaining, I learned regulated sleep really does yield more than just a health benefit. Money; focus; happiness.

Mariah

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a senior in high school knowing what I know now about college life and the changes it entails, the most important advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate. In high school, I would allow myself many times to hold off doing something until last minute. It would get done, but it wouldn?t be to the best of my ability. Although my grades were still average, I knew they could have been better if I had taken the more then enough time allotted by the teachers to do the assignment more throughly. College has quickly became a wake up call. Everything for the course is given to you at one time. It is then your decision on whether or not you will apply yourself and do everything outlined, or allow yourself to get behind having to cram last minute. I have chosen to apply myself, and it has relieved me of so much stress come exams and finals time. With the first semester of my college career under my belt, and with the grades I have received, I know now that applying yourself is the key to success.

Meaghan

Rockhurst University is like a small community to where everyone tries to get to know everyone else, even the freshman, and everyone is very nice and likes to help others in the communities around us.

I would tell myself to not pick a place just because of its location. I might not want to go to school far from home but I should not base my decision on that. Another thing that I would tell myself is to not let others whether it was my family or my friends weigh my decision one way or another. I would also say to visit the school more than once or maybe stay in the dorms with a student there to get a good feel of the school and to get a better idea on whether I would be happy there or not.

I think the worst thing about my school is the size. Rockhurst University is a pretty small school so there is not that much variety in ethnic backgrounds because most of the students come from three certain cities.

Ryan

Stay focused on school and the coursework because making up classes is going to waste the time you're there and possibly delay your graduation time.

I consider the worst thing at my school is the price of food. They should have it where you swipe your id card and can eat however much you want. Instead, they charge you for each thing you get no matter how many times you go eat.

I brag mostly about the size of my school and how accessible everything is.

kristine

we have a great pt program and get some attention for the business school.. we also have a division II soccer team that does well

Finding the right college is a process that is worth taking some time to research. I suggest visiting the schools you think you are interested in and actually staying with one of the attenending freshman for a night. This experience might make or brake whether you think the school will be a right fit for you. I would advise new and incoming college students to stay open minded. You dont have to already know what you want to do in college and where you will fit in, just let everything go with the flow. Dont be afraid to try new things, be open to change, and you will eventually fit in where you are most comfortable. Dont forget that if the school you pick turns out to be the wrong one, its okay. Tranfering happens all the time, making new friends and enduring new experiences is what life is all about. Stay confident in yourself and everything will eventually fall into place.

sometimes the campus feels too small and you just need to take a break and get away for a weekend. perfect opportunity to visit friends at other schools :)

Chelsea

I would tell every student to look at every school he or she is interested in. To go on visits to those schools so he gets a feel for the personality of the school. Get to know as many students and faculty at each school as she can, because that is what he will deal with every day. Most importantly make sure that the school the student is really interested in has a few majors that she are interested in, in case he ends up changing his or her major. If he is an athlete, she needs to make sure that he is going for the education, not the sport. To make the college experience the best it can be, he needs to go out of his comfort zone, join clubs or organizations the interest her, and realize that you can only have two of the following three things; sleep, good grades, and a social life. Sometimes sleep is a little price to pay for the best experience and making life long friends and getting ready for her career.

It still feels a little like high school with it being so small.

The upperclassmen and the males really look out for the lower classmen and females

Rockhurst University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.