Rockhurst University

« See more reviews of Rockhurst University

I would urge the individuals prospectively attending college to actually visit the college upon decision of their interest in a particular school. During the campus tour, keep in mind that collegiate officials only show you areas of the campus generally considered "good" and that their tour might not necessarily reflect the overall portrait of the campus living conditions and facilities of the school. Furthermore, I would ask actual students who attend the school what they like, dislike and are otherwise concerned about regarding the schools. To ensure that the sample of students is representative, you should strive to inquire multiple students, from differing economic, social and political backgrounds. Your level of comfortability at a school should be holistic, in others words your political inclinations, religious affiliation and economic status should either be accommodated or at least respected by the school you select. Important, too, is that you compare the various financial aid packages offerred by the schools of your choice. While private universities are generally pricier, they often disburse bigger financial aid packages; as a result, public schools can actually be more expensive than a comparable private school because many of their funding programs are loan based.

Making the most of your college experience. Try to experience as much as possible. Go outside of your comfort zone. Take a random class. As a High School senior I chose to attend college out of state so that I wouldn't know anyone around me. I would not trade that experience for the world. Everyone that I met was new. Everyone had a story to share. As a College Freshmen I had already chosen my major, nursing, however, through taking required classes outside my major I found that I was passionate about serving the community. My new majors became Nonprofit Leadership and Theology. I have thourghly enjoyed participating in both majors as well as getting my feet wet with multiple internships. Looking back after graduation I know that the hardest semester that I had emotionally was my first semester, not knowing anyone, being in a new city. My hardest semester accademically was my last semester, I was taking 23 credits so that I could finish a semester early. My last semester was also my favorite semester. The friends that I made and have kept are the best friends anyone could ask for. Take classes that are right for you.

Aside from the obvious givens, (stress less, stock up on pre-packaged meals, become an avid coupon-clipper, and please, please, please, color code your folders, so you don't show up for a speech in religion, with only a handful of packets on evolution!) I suppose, out of order of importance, I would narrow it down to "learn the value of sleep quickly, so when your coffee coupons run out, you don't have a mental breakdown". Now, that seems like a good habit I should have established well before the time I graduated high school. Wrong. I don't believe getting adequate sleep ever really becomes a habit, but rather, is a necessity we try to keep consistent. There's a difference, and the key word is "try". It's much easier to bargain with something you can trick yourself into thinking you can skimp on for "just one night". And coffee! Oh, the miracle concoction for a sleepy head, and yet, also a sneaky little thief who's got hold of my wallet. Once I put an end to the bargaining, I learned regulated sleep really does yield more than just a health benefit. Money; focus; happiness.

To the parents, to let the student choose the college where they feel most comfortable in. And if the parents are going to help pay, to take in consideration how far the university is from home, and see how much money are they willing to spend to bring the student back home (depending on how many times a year they go home). By personal experience, i can say that you can spend a lot of money each time you go home, if you live very far. The student should always double check if they have the deegre or major that they want, in the university they are choosing. They should always make a list of what they expect to get out of a university and see what university meets their expectations, in every sense. And i would say that to make the most out of a college experience the student has to mature and to make wise decisions. There should always be a balance between school work, partying, relationships,work, and other activities. If you get too much of one of them, then you are never going to suceed and enjoy college at the same time. check dorms and weather.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a senior in high school knowing what I know now about college life and the changes it entails, the most important advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate. In high school, I would allow myself many times to hold off doing something until last minute. It would get done, but it wouldn?t be to the best of my ability. Although my grades were still average, I knew they could have been better if I had taken the more then enough time allotted by the teachers to do the assignment more throughly. College has quickly became a wake up call. Everything for the course is given to you at one time. It is then your decision on whether or not you will apply yourself and do everything outlined, or allow yourself to get behind having to cram last minute. I have chosen to apply myself, and it has relieved me of so much stress come exams and finals time. With the first semester of my college career under my belt, and with the grades I have received, I know now that applying yourself is the key to success.

I think about this question all the time. When I graduated from high school, my intentions were to attend Ohio University in Athens, Ohio because at the time they had the best Journalism program. Thereafter, my dream was to attend law school. Secretly, my career path was supposed to be the same as Star Jones. Whenever I would see her on the View, I always believed that she had my job. However, when I told my father about my decision, he told me that he did not want me to go to Ohio University, but first attend the local community college and we will consider after the first year. If I could be transported back into time, I would either attend the community college and transferred to Ohio University or alternatively, attended Ohio University without my father's permission . It is important to follow your dreams and not listen to what anyone else has to say about. it I have learned that It is important to follow your heart, your vision and do not let any road blocks stand in your way. In the words of Nike, "Just Do It."

I kind of blew off the really investigating what college I wanted to go to. I looked at 2 schools and figured I would make it work in the one that gave me the most money to attend. Parents - if at all possible, do not make money a huge factor in where your kids attend there are always loans if they really have their heart set on a place. Students, investigate. When going on a campus tour, see if you can ask random people who are not giving the tour their honest opinion. These will be more trustworthy since they were not hand selected for there love of the school to try to convince people to join. When making most of the college experience, just be true to yourself. If you don't want to drink - don't. My brother and I both made it through college with a very good group of friends - not superficial drinking buddies. If you do want to - just be smart. You don't want to regret something. Know how much you can get involved and don't be pressured to make extra committments. School should take priority - that is why you are there!

My advice to parents and students look for the right college is to start early. It is always better to have more time than not enough time and by starting early, you will have more options as well as more time to consider each option. Parents I suggest to encourage but not push your child to make a decision. Ultimately, they have to decide what will be best for them and all you can do is give your perspective. Do not push your ideas on your child let them be free to make this decision. For students who are looking for a school; make sure to ask questions about the school whenever you get a chance. You can learn so much by asking current student how the school really is. Keep an open mind in the beginning of your search and in the end, the right school will be obvious to you. To make the most of the college experience get involved right off the bat. Ask about different organizations and clubs that interests you. Find different activities that you enjoyed in high school that can help you feel comfortable and still meet new people.

Given the chance to hop in the Delorean with Doc and head back to 2008, when I was a high school senior, I would have a chat with myself about location, campus size, and course difficulty. First, I would want to let young Samantha know that it's okay to leave home. It's okay to be more than a few hours away from your family because college is the adventure of a lifetime and your family will always be there no matter how far you travel. I would also tell myself that I don't have to go to a small university to get the attention I want from proffesors. Small universities don't always have the research opportunities, facility equipment, or student diversity you want. Many students want small class sizes and close contact with professors because they are nervous that college level coursework will be difficult and intimidating. It's not as hard as it looks! The course work is not as difficult as it seems and many campuses offer tutors or other help if you get in over your head. I promise you will be fine so go have an adventure!

In finding the right place for yourself it is important to visit the college and feel comfortable with not only the surroundings and the classes, but also to notice things about the students already attending. When visiting my school I found most comfort when every student I passed during my tour said hi or exchanged a friendly smile. Spend more than a few hours at the college if you are interested. Dont just talk to the student taking you around, speak with those in the cafe or study hall if they seem available. The ones who are not part of the admitting process will tell you the most. Facts about the school are important but its also important to know about the social life. The way students behave away from class and away from the party scene is most important. Its also important to look at the city life around the college. For some, the busy and interesting community around the college is a good way to get away from the college scene. Its not all within the walls of the college that sparks the students eye.