Rockhurst University Top Questions

Given the chance to hop in the Delorean with Doc and head back to 2008, when I was a high school senior, I would have a chat with myself about location, campus size, and course difficulty. First, I would want to let young Samantha know that it's okay to leave home. It's okay to be more than a few hours away from your family because college is the adventure of a lifetime and your family will always be there no matter how far you travel. I would also tell myself that I don't have to go to a small university to get the attention I want from proffesors. Small universities don't always have the research opportunities, facility equipment, or student diversity you want. Many students want small class sizes and close contact with professors because they are nervous that college level coursework will be difficult and intimidating. It's not as hard as it looks! The course work is not as difficult as it seems and many campuses offer tutors or other help if you get in over your head. I promise you will be fine so go have an adventure!

Corwin

I would tell myself to be ready to face challenges to my faith, my beliefs, and my morals. I would tell myself to be ready to trust God when my time is crunched and my money is spent and to step out of my comfort zone to explore opportunities. But, I would also advise myself to pursue scholarships and work opportunities in earnest and to attempt to obtain at least a few, as it will become extremely important when I leave Running Start. I would also encourage myself to not even try to do my scheduling alone and to seek out the help of an advisor after the first quarter of Running Start so that I can pursue my AA more directly. Besides that, I would simply advise myself to press on towards the goal to win the prize for whish God has called me, heavenward in Christ Jesus and to keep my eyes focused on Him as I purse my future career in computer graphics and animation through college.

Anna

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to trust myslef more and not second guess my actions. I would tell myself to have faith and trust my decisions, because they had gotten me as far as I had gotten then and they would continue to help me succeed in the future. I would tell myself to not be as hard on myself and to learn to find the balance between pushing myself to work hard, and expecting the impossible. I would also make sure to tell myself that it is not about being perfect, it is about being happy, and that all things happen for a reason. I would tell myself to not be upset about staying close to home for college, because there will be days where you are happy that you can drive home for the weekend as oppossed to have to fly or drive ten hours. Finally, I would tell myself that, as long as I know I worked as hard as I could, then I should be proud of myself becasue that is all I can do, whether it produces the outcome I hoped for or not.

The advice that I would give myself is, I need to stay focused an to study study study.

Marisa

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be more easygoing, to go with the flow more, and to learn to take myself a little bit less seriously. I would remind myself that a meaningful life is one in which you find happiness and not necessarily worldly success, and I would try to emphasize the fact that even when things conspire against you and you think your life is over, it isn't. I have learned that life is about finding balance, about learning to work hard AND play hard, about being willing to try almost everything once, and about not being afraid to take risks, to meet people, and to put myself out there and make myself vulnerable. But most of all, I would tell myself to stop worrying so much and try to find some inner peace, because after all, we already know that it all worked out in the end.

Jimece

I think about this question all the time. When I graduated from high school, my intentions were to attend Ohio University in Athens, Ohio because at the time they had the best Journalism program. Thereafter, my dream was to attend law school. Secretly, my career path was supposed to be the same as Star Jones. Whenever I would see her on the View, I always believed that she had my job. However, when I told my father about my decision, he told me that he did not want me to go to Ohio University, but first attend the local community college and we will consider after the first year. If I could be transported back into time, I would either attend the community college and transferred to Ohio University or alternatively, attended Ohio University without my father's permission . It is important to follow your dreams and not listen to what anyone else has to say about. it I have learned that It is important to follow your heart, your vision and do not let any road blocks stand in your way. In the words of Nike, "Just Do It."

Rebecca

I would tell myself to relax. College is an exciting time. Moving away from home is a great experience, but going back home for breaks are just as enjoyable. I would also tell myself that I do not change as a person, and the relationships that I want to work will. It takes some extra effort, but the experiences and memories are worth every extra effort. I would also tell myself to get involved but not to stretch myself too thin. It is really easy to want to do everything, but sleep is necessary and people are ok with you taking naps. Just get out and get invovled. It makes the transition process so much easier. I would also suggest to enjoy every minute of it and to not take anything for granted. Before you know it, the semester is over. Enjoy the late nights in the lobby and with friends. They make some of the best memories, and they create friendships that will last a lifetime.

Angelica

If I got to meet myself at the beginning of senior year, I would tell myself to start visiting as many colleges as possible. I would want to open up my options and find the perfect school. I also woud have let myself know that applying for scholarships and grants is very important to help pay for school. College life is going to be hard to get in to but if you work for it, you can finish and begin your career.

Kim

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to have more fun! Knowing that I'd always be a studious person, working hard in school would not be the issue. To have a healthy social life is just as equally important as doing well in classes. I would've told myself to speak to more people! That would have made the loud girls in the dorms a little less annoying because I would've been a part of that laughter. I would've told myself to not procrastinate! That opens the doors for regrets! I would say that the high school me should talk to people about classes to take and teachers to avoid. I would've said to look harder for those scholarships! If you don't have enough funds, you have to pay out of pocket, stupid! "You don't have that kind of money!" High school was a breeze compared to college. They trick you because there's less work given but the still needs to be aced! The high school me thought she could do it all without studying much. Think again!!

Chester

Looking back at my college experience, I wish I would have taken more initiative in learning the daily tasks and activities that my mother had always done for me. My mom washed my laundry, cleaned my room, payed my car payment and insurance, made my doctor/dentist appointments, and prepared most of my meals. I had it made easy. Unfortunately she could not go to college with me. Had I taken that initiative before setting out on my own on campus I feel that I would have done a better job of managing my finances, I wouldn't have ruined as many clothing items as I had, and would have been able to avoid "the Freshman 15" (I actually gained 25 pounds my first year). So if I could go back in time I would tell myself to take notes and listen while my mom shopped, payed bills, and washed clothes so that I could do so for myself with ease. The most valuable lesson I learned was that a mother's wisdom is priceless.

Aside from the obvious givens, (stress less, stock up on pre-packaged meals, become an avid coupon-clipper, and please, please, please, color code your folders, so you don't show up for a speech in religion, with only a handful of packets on evolution!) I suppose, out of order of importance, I would narrow it down to "learn the value of sleep quickly, so when your coffee coupons run out, you don't have a mental breakdown". Now, that seems like a good habit I should have established well before the time I graduated high school. Wrong. I don't believe getting adequate sleep ever really becomes a habit, but rather, is a necessity we try to keep consistent. There's a difference, and the key word is "try". It's much easier to bargain with something you can trick yourself into thinking you can skimp on for "just one night". And coffee! Oh, the miracle concoction for a sleepy head, and yet, also a sneaky little thief who's got hold of my wallet. Once I put an end to the bargaining, I learned regulated sleep really does yield more than just a health benefit. Money; focus; happiness.

Mariah

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a senior in high school knowing what I know now about college life and the changes it entails, the most important advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate. In high school, I would allow myself many times to hold off doing something until last minute. It would get done, but it wouldn?t be to the best of my ability. Although my grades were still average, I knew they could have been better if I had taken the more then enough time allotted by the teachers to do the assignment more throughly. College has quickly became a wake up call. Everything for the course is given to you at one time. It is then your decision on whether or not you will apply yourself and do everything outlined, or allow yourself to get behind having to cram last minute. I have chosen to apply myself, and it has relieved me of so much stress come exams and finals time. With the first semester of my college career under my belt, and with the grades I have received, I know now that applying yourself is the key to success.

Meaghan

I would tell myself to not pick a place just because of its location. I might not want to go to school far from home but I should not base my decision on that. Another thing that I would tell myself is to not let others whether it was my family or my friends weigh my decision one way or another. I would also say to visit the school more than once or maybe stay in the dorms with a student there to get a good feel of the school and to get a better idea on whether I would be happy there or not.

Ryan

Stay focused on school and the coursework because making up classes is going to waste the time you're there and possibly delay your graduation time.

kristine

Finding the right college is a process that is worth taking some time to research. I suggest visiting the schools you think you are interested in and actually staying with one of the attenending freshman for a night. This experience might make or brake whether you think the school will be a right fit for you. I would advise new and incoming college students to stay open minded. You dont have to already know what you want to do in college and where you will fit in, just let everything go with the flow. Dont be afraid to try new things, be open to change, and you will eventually fit in where you are most comfortable. Dont forget that if the school you pick turns out to be the wrong one, its okay. Tranfering happens all the time, making new friends and enduring new experiences is what life is all about. Stay confident in yourself and everything will eventually fall into place.

Chelsea

I would tell every student to look at every school he or she is interested in. To go on visits to those schools so he gets a feel for the personality of the school. Get to know as many students and faculty at each school as she can, because that is what he will deal with every day. Most importantly make sure that the school the student is really interested in has a few majors that she are interested in, in case he ends up changing his or her major. If he is an athlete, she needs to make sure that he is going for the education, not the sport. To make the college experience the best it can be, he needs to go out of his comfort zone, join clubs or organizations the interest her, and realize that you can only have two of the following three things; sleep, good grades, and a social life. Sometimes sleep is a little price to pay for the best experience and making life long friends and getting ready for her career.

Julie

Make sure you know what you want out of a college. I never visited my college campus and ended up hating the small classes, and small community. Remember that you are not stuck with the choice you make, so try new things out. Anything is possible.

Find the place that feels most like home and go with your heart!

Be thourough and take as many personality assessments prior to researching colleges.

Travis

Go to a university that fits you as a person. do extensive research before applying and finally choosing the school you desire. because if you dont , you may end up in an overpriced institution with a really bad social atmosphere such as rockhurst university.

ori

I found it the easiest to say go where you are comfortable and at home because it will be your home for the next 4 or 5 years. At the same time go to a place that will challenge you to expand your mind and you thoughts,wiht room to grow in a safe enviornment.

Johnna

When taking tours of schools, don't listen to what the ambassadors tell you. Watch the students and people on campus interact. When they give you breaks, definitely try to talk to people there. It will give you a great idea of how the school really is. The right college isn't about what will get you the best job, it is about a place where you feel safe and secure. It is only in a place like this that you can find yourself and the path you want to walk through in life.

Matthew

The perfect school probably will not be your first-choice school; young adults will make life out of what they're given - so find a place that is student-centric in attitude, with a diverse and comfortable number of students. Don't let distance matter; the perfect school for you is the one that you attend. Live on campus, meet as many people as possible, and don't be afraid to chase your dreams. The only regret you should have in college is having not met enough people, tried too many organizations, or laughed too hard. Enjoy it - it is the best time of your life, and will create for you a life in your future.

Making the most of your college experience. Try to experience as much as possible. Go outside of your comfort zone. Take a random class. As a High School senior I chose to attend college out of state so that I wouldn't know anyone around me. I would not trade that experience for the world. Everyone that I met was new. Everyone had a story to share. As a College Freshmen I had already chosen my major, nursing, however, through taking required classes outside my major I found that I was passionate about serving the community. My new majors became Nonprofit Leadership and Theology. I have thourghly enjoyed participating in both majors as well as getting my feet wet with multiple internships. Looking back after graduation I know that the hardest semester that I had emotionally was my first semester, not knowing anyone, being in a new city. My hardest semester accademically was my last semester, I was taking 23 credits so that I could finish a semester early. My last semester was also my favorite semester. The friends that I made and have kept are the best friends anyone could ask for. Take classes that are right for you.

Mary

I would definitely encourage students to get involved with on-campus activities to meet new people, and service opportuinities. It is so imporant to manage your time by not taking on too much. I believe an emense amount of schoolwork is the number one cause for depression and a general sense of unhappiness among the student body.

Kyle

I would suggest focusing on what finding a school that is most geared around what you are looking to study, and also fits your personality the most. College is about getting an education, but the extra-curricular activities are also key to enjoying your college experience. I would recommend a parent or student looking for the right college find out what ammenities the school offers to get you ahead in life. It comes down to finding that happy medium of what you are looking for with school size, learning environment, city/town atmosphere, and ability to have an enjoyable experience.

Zach

Take your time and go where you think you will be happy. The rest will sort itself out.

Laura

I would advise that finding out as much as you can about the school that you are considering will only help you with your decision. Knowing yourself and what you expect from the college experience will help you narrow your choices down. I grew up in a very small academic community, so I knew that I wanted that for my college experience.

Sara

go to college fairs, give private schools a chance because they have good scholarships and can be cheaper than state schools. balance school and fun but be spontaneous too!

The most important thing to consider when searching for the college that's right for you is how you feel when you visit their campus. I know this may sound corny, but they say you "just know" when a college is where you want to be. I would definitely recommend visiting each college you apply to because it's a big help to see what it's like to live there and be a part of the campus and its activities. If you don't like what you see and feel when you visit a college then it may be time to reconsider. I know academics and other activities are important , but you won't feel like participating in anything if you hate being at school. I think in order to really do well at college you have to love being a part of the school you choose.

Jesse

I think its important to visit all types of colleges but they should narrow down based on size, how academically challeneged they want to be, and the area surrounding the school. These are the most important factors because they will affect your happiness at your school. I decided that fact that my school was in an urban aread didn't matter. Even though I love the school, I don't like that I sometimes don't feel safe in the area. This is important to consider.

Marjory

There are many things to consider when choosing a college or university. After all, your decision in this area dictates a significant portion of your future. There are so many schools in so many places that its understandably easy to become overwhelmed, but the thing to do is stick to the issues that are important to you. Before you start looking, make a list of specific things that are important to you: school/ class size, majors and minors, tuition cost range, housing, city attractions, diversity. That way when you do your research or begin actually looking into different universities you know which ones will be a fit for you.....and which ones won't. This simple step will save you a great deal of time, and it will help you narrow down your focus more quickly to the school that is the perfect fit for you.

Tyler

Make sure to pick a college that fits you personally. Don't just pick a local University because most of your friends are going there, don't pick a big school just because you want to party, and don't settle. Your high school friends will always be apart of your life but don't be afraid to go away and meet new people. You will be surprised how quickly you will adapt. College is a once in a lifetime experience so it is important to make sure you are content with the surroundings of the University. I know too many people that complain constantly about school but if you choose a school that fits your personality then I believe you will be happy. We have the rest of our lives to work but only 4 years in college so live it up and find the one that FITS you!

claire

I think that a student should go with their gut feeling about a school. This is a big decision, and there are so many options and ways to afford a college education. A student should really make time to meet people, and find surrounding areas to get involved on and off campus. Most importantly, live your life! College is a time of change and experience, and it's so important to be open minded because you can learn so many things about yourself.

Taylor

Choosing the right college or university is like a marriage. Make sure that when you make your decision that you are elated but understand that like all great marriages, there will be ups and downs. I would highly encourage prospective students to understand the philosophies of the institution they are planning on attending and make sure that it is in line with personal philosophies. It is important to take at least one if not a few over night visits to understand the dynamics of campus. In the end, do not settle with less than the perfect match.

Mary

They definately need to visit they campus, tour it with and without a guide. They also need to sit in some classes, see if they like the feel of the atmosphere. They need to tour around the campus, because the student will be living there, they need to see how safe the neighborhood is and how convient everything is to campus. If they know what their major is they need to make that school offers it and if they do sit down with the advisor for that major and have a talk with them about how long it will take to graduate. They also need to see if they are for example, trying to get into nursing school, what the prereqs are and see if they have to have a certain grade in those classes to get accepted into the program. But the big thing is it should be about how the student feels about the school and if they like it, they are going to be spending aronnd 10 months out of the year for 4 years their; they need to be comfortable with that school of their choice.

I

Seek a liberal education, especially if you have yet to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Joni

Find a college that suits your academic goals, and will help you succeed in your future.

Alexis

Narrow down your choices and then visit your top three or four school and make sure you talk to teachers, students, administrators, and financial aid people. Also, dont rule out private universities because they are expensive- they give out more financial aid and scholarships than state schools.

Christina

In finding the right place for yourself it is important to visit the college and feel comfortable with not only the surroundings and the classes, but also to notice things about the students already attending. When visiting my school I found most comfort when every student I passed during my tour said hi or exchanged a friendly smile. Spend more than a few hours at the college if you are interested. Dont just talk to the student taking you around, speak with those in the cafe or study hall if they seem available. The ones who are not part of the admitting process will tell you the most. Facts about the school are important but its also important to know about the social life. The way students behave away from class and away from the party scene is most important. Its also important to look at the city life around the college. For some, the busy and interesting community around the college is a good way to get away from the college scene. Its not all within the walls of the college that sparks the students eye.

Bryan

I would tell parents and students to have a good idea of what the student wants to gain out of college. Know how important grades, a social life, the size of the college, the price of a college, and the college's reputation are to the student. Then find a college that meets these criteria as much as possible, and is the college the student has found to be most comfortable at during college visits.

Connor

I believe that parents should consider a Jesuit education highly, because it is in general, a higher education than public schools.

corey

I would urge the individuals prospectively attending college to actually visit the college upon decision of their interest in a particular school. During the campus tour, keep in mind that collegiate officials only show you areas of the campus generally considered "good" and that their tour might not necessarily reflect the overall portrait of the campus living conditions and facilities of the school. Furthermore, I would ask actual students who attend the school what they like, dislike and are otherwise concerned about regarding the schools. To ensure that the sample of students is representative, you should strive to inquire multiple students, from differing economic, social and political backgrounds. Your level of comfortability at a school should be holistic, in others words your political inclinations, religious affiliation and economic status should either be accommodated or at least respected by the school you select. Important, too, is that you compare the various financial aid packages offerred by the schools of your choice. While private universities are generally pricier, they often disburse bigger financial aid packages; as a result, public schools can actually be more expensive than a comparable private school because many of their funding programs are loan based.

Danielle

My advice to parents and students look for the right college is to start early. It is always better to have more time than not enough time and by starting early, you will have more options as well as more time to consider each option. Parents I suggest to encourage but not push your child to make a decision. Ultimately, they have to decide what will be best for them and all you can do is give your perspective. Do not push your ideas on your child let them be free to make this decision. For students who are looking for a school; make sure to ask questions about the school whenever you get a chance. You can learn so much by asking current student how the school really is. Keep an open mind in the beginning of your search and in the end, the right school will be obvious to you. To make the most of the college experience get involved right off the bat. Ask about different organizations and clubs that interests you. Find different activities that you enjoyed in high school that can help you feel comfortable and still meet new people.

Joseph

Find what the school that suits your personality and learning habits - smaller school for greater personal attention and a more friendly environment.

Katie

Apply to a wide variety of schools. Take tours of the campuses and try to talk to as many students and members of the faculty as possible before you decide. Don't be afraid to leave your hometown, new people and new possibilities await in places unknown to you. To make your college experience the best you can, don't be shy, but be yourself. Your opinions and ideals may change, so be open to new ideas. Be real with your professors, they want to help you succeed, not the contrary.

Peter

When deciding on a school, you should really VISIT and STAY at the school. Talking to random strangers on campus might even help. Once you ahve picked your school, GET INVOLVED. Greek life may sound sketch to some, and I know I never in a million years would have though I would have rushed, but it has turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life and I KNOW I have met friends that WILL last my whole life.

Natalie

I kind of blew off the really investigating what college I wanted to go to. I looked at 2 schools and figured I would make it work in the one that gave me the most money to attend. Parents - if at all possible, do not make money a huge factor in where your kids attend there are always loans if they really have their heart set on a place. Students, investigate. When going on a campus tour, see if you can ask random people who are not giving the tour their honest opinion. These will be more trustworthy since they were not hand selected for there love of the school to try to convince people to join. When making most of the college experience, just be true to yourself. If you don't want to drink - don't. My brother and I both made it through college with a very good group of friends - not superficial drinking buddies. If you do want to - just be smart. You don't want to regret something. Know how much you can get involved and don't be pressured to make extra committments. School should take priority - that is why you are there!

Nick

Talk to friends and family who have been through the situation and find out how they handled choosing the right school (or wrong school). Then work out a plan to visit schools and have questions ready based on what you have heard from these friends and family. Each school is going to SELL itself to prospective students so you need to be an educated buyer to make the right decsion (similar to buying a new/used car). Overall, know the facts and come prepared to hear things that may be sweeter than they really are.

Becca

Talk to several students who attend the school but are not employed by the school. People that are employed are going to only talk about the positive aspects of the school. They are not going to talk about anything that they have had trouble with or the negitive aspects of the school.