Rockhurst University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rockhurst University

Christina

Rockhurst has a great academic background and is well-known for their success in post-graduate job placement. The campus community is very diverse and has clubs and organizations for every student of all majors. Faculty and staff at Rockhurst always have a smile on their face and welcome everyone with open arms, making it feel like a home away from home. Rockhurst has allowed me to develop more as a person and create friendships that will last a lifetime.

Justine

Rockhurst University is a good regional college. It strives to always follow its Jesuit mission and values and has been making great progress in becoming a more diverse and welcoming community. The student body definitely leans on the conservative side while the faculty is a bit more split down the middle. This may not matter to a lot of people, but for someone who is deeply interested in politics and general uncomfortable discussion, it is important to note. After spending four years here I can say that Rockhurst has brought me a lot of great thing, not the least of it being the profound connections you can make with fellow students, staff members, and professors. Everyone is truly open and the notion of "community" is ingrained in all Rockhurst students and is likely something that also follows all alumni. I am persuaded that those individuals with whom I have a good relationship will be some of my closest allies as I tackle my future. On some of the more administrative and "official" side, however, Rockhurst does not perform nearly as well. In fact, facilities (including on-campus housing) are old and uninviting, school spirit is not well developed, and academics can be lacking at times for individuals who may be looking for a challenge.

Sally

Rockhurst University is no doubt an average school. I'm not saying it's the worst because the academics here are pretty on point and the area(not troost or the paseo, obviously) is actually pretty nice to go out to. That being said, there is such a lack of diversity and anything truly remarkable about this school. We have decent athletics- with the soccer team doing really well this year, but there's not much on-campus spirit. The food is good at first, then you just get tired of it. Too much mass-produced food is never a good thing. There's plenty to do on campus, but it won't really come to you, you have to go out and find it.

Caroline

I could not imagine being anywhere else. Rockhurst is everything a student or parent could ask for in a school. Class sizes are small allowing the student less distractions and give them a chance to really get to know their professors and classmates. However, you have the perks of a huge city with companies of all sizes. Rockhurst gives off the perfect family and community feel that you cannot get at every college. You are more than just a face on campus which makes adjusting really easy.

Karen

I loved Rockhurst University. When I arrived on campus they were super welcoming. The office people are really nice. I was confused because my tour guide never showed me an exercise room, but told me that they are building a new one in the spring of 2019. I wish that their performing arts were better and had active involvement. I also did not get to see an actual dorm room because it was locked. The food looked scrumptious, but I did not eat any. I did not get to peek into a classroom, but I was satisfied about my visit.

Kathleen

I have loved being a student of RU for the past four years (and I'll be here for two years of grad school)! The professors are amazing and always willing to help their students succeed. There are plenty of extracurriculars and activities that can help you grow as a person and straighten your friendships with other students. Honestly I can not imagine myself being anywhere else! Go Hawks!

Angela

Rockhurst has been one of my better decisions. The quality of education is amazing, as all the professors really know their fields and are passionate about the material they are teaching. Some of the facilities are older, but Rockhurst is continually trying to gather the funds to update the buildings or build new ones built on needs. The president, Fr. Curran, is amazing about trying to tend to all of the needs of the school, from new art studios and theatre in our newest classroom building to the plan of starting a new rec center. The school wants each of its students to thrive in whatever their major is. They also have so many resources for the students to use to better learn, to grow, and to experience. The professors, faculty, and staff do what they can to provide the best information and resources for students to be successful in and out of the classroom, during college and beyond.

Nyoko

Really good school. small campus size so its easier to get around. Very friendly environment and always have a lot of events going on. Food is pretty good but lacks variety sometimes. The dorms are OK most of the time but can get quite noisy during quiet hours.

Abby

I love it here at Rockhurst! Everyone is so welcoming, it really is like a big family! I have really enjoyed the variety in majors, I am a nonprofit leadership major with two minors and pursuing the pre-med track. Every week I find something new that I am interested in and want to either join or pursue. The opportunities here are fantastic! I really love this school!

Abby

Rockhurst University is a wonderful school. It is academically challenging as they hold students to high standards, but they want students to excel. Class sizes are fairly small, with roughly 30 students per class, which means the teachers get to know the students and become invested in the lives of those they are teaching. If students have questions, the teachers are more than happy to help. Most have office hours, or if those don't work are happy to meet by appointment. Many of the upper division classes (Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Accounting, Calculus, etc.) have what we call an SI (supplemental instructor). This is a student that has excelled in the class and is willing sit in the class during the current semester and hold tutoring sessions about twice a week to go over what was covered in class. It is a great study tool to help get through those tricky classes. There is a learning center on campus that offers FREE tutoring for nearly every class! You can pop in, or make an appointment! Rockhurst offers a wide variety of athletics including: Men's and Women's Basketball, Men's and Women's Tennis, Men's and Women's Lacrosse, Men's and Women's Golf, Women's Cross-country, Baseball, Softball, and Women's Volleyball. Students are made aware of the games occurring on campus, and sometimes get treated to free food or gear for showing up! If you don't want to play competitively there are also many intermural sports offered on campus including: volleyball, basketball, and softball. If sports aren't your thing, fear not because there are plenty of clubs and organizations to get involved in. Rockhurst offers about 80 clubs/ organizations to join including SAB (student activities board), Voices for Justice, Sororities, Fraternities, Campus Ministry, Active Minds, Business fraternities, PURPOSE, and many others. If there is a club that we don't have and you are interested, you can create it! Rockhurst is known for the Helzburg of Business school, along with many of their Pre-Professional tracks such as Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and CSD. If you are serious about your future, please consider Rockhurst, because they will help you get there!

Eden

I prefer small colleges, and this one has about 3000 undergraduate students in an urban setting, very close to a larger, less academic campus called UMKC. The reputation at RU is very high, with several employers choosing RockU graduates over area colleges for their new employees. Everyone I tell about RU is impressed with it, and it is known for its rigorous academics--not a dumb jock school--so don't come to party, slack off, or just for a sport because this is a QUALITY Degree and it will challenge you.

Tayler

As a freshman at Rockhurst University, I can say that the school has a home-like feel to it. The teachers are available at any time to help you if needed and they are easy the contact. Rockhurst is always trying the get students involved within the school and as the commuter, I feel safe and comfortable.

Shahla

Rockhurst University is a very well rounded school. There is a sense of community here that I would not be able to find anywhere else. It is almost unreal. They also care about the students and they never let any Issues we have go unchecked. Academically and socially Rockhurst University is acceptional .

I love the faculty to student ratio. It allows us to form relationships with our professors, and they encourage participation in class, which will transfer over into the workplace. They stress the necessity of communication in any field nowadays. Rockhurst is a good school built on a solid Jesuit foundation, but the students respect all opinions. Sometimes I would say it actually leans a little to the left.

I enjoy Rockhurst University. I love the class sizes; they are typically no bigger than 30 people. The professors are extremely nice and helpful. There are so many ways to get involved in on campus. I also like that the campus is small and compact because it makes it easy to navigate throughout the campus.

Amy

It is a wonderful school with a great atmosphere and student life. There are lots of ways to get involved. The professors are amazing, they are always available and they make sure that the students can achieve in their courses. I would recommend this school for being a great small school while in a big city so there is plenty to do!

Overall, I love Rockhurst. The campus is small and beautiful. The professors, with few exceptions, are amazing and will do anything they can to help students succeed. The staff is also incredibly helpful. We do not have football or a marching band or a pool which really sucks and bums me out but we still have fun. Greek life is awesome, and we do not have houses for fraternities and sororities which makes life a little easier I think. The area is a little sketchy, but the placement kind of goes along with our values. Oh yeah, Rockhurst has some awesome values, being Jesuit. Of course you will run into people, as you will anywhere, who just fake it and do not really have a deep faith or care too much about others, but for the most part, we are a really caring and passionate, helpful community. The residence halls kind of suck, but name a school where they are awesome. Also the caf food, as at most schools, does not rock my socks off, and the other on campus dining options keep shortening their hours, so that is an area in which Rockhurst could improve. But all in all, I love it!

Kayleen

I have attended Rockhurst for a semester now for my graduate program in speech-language pathology. I really love the small class sizes, the professors, and the classes I have taken! Rockhurst gives an opportunity for their SLP grad students to really get a feel for the real world with clinical placements-which I absolutely love!

Aria

Rockhurst University is a primarily white campus that focuses heavily on Greek Life and sports in the social sphere. The diversity it lacks in this aspect is made up for in the variety of fields of study it provides to students. Although the affordability of the school is next to none, if one has the ability to attend, they will find the value of an education here is priceless. The lessons taught both inside and outside of the classroom are enrichment enough, and when paired with a degree from a prestigious Jesuit university that provides numerous opportunities for internships and service to the community, making a life after college is easy.

Monica

Rockhurst University is a beautiful, quaint campus located in the center of Kansas City, Missouri. It's a university that places an emphasis on the pursuit of scholarship in academics, loyalty in Jesuit values, and service to others. Professors are always willing to stop and chat, whether it's just to say 'hi' or have an in-depth conversation about the course. Students are generally friendly, and the administrative staff are respectful. This is a place where students can grow academically, socially, and spiritually.

Tamara

Rockhurst University is a colleg focused on the individual. They strive to build people not just doctors, engineers, etc. There core values of leadership, service, and learning stand true to the everyday campus life. Rockhurst is a place to grow as a person and learn through experiences what you true potential is.

Tamara

My overall opinion would be that Rockhurst cares about the well being of every student and their future not just money. They really make you feel at home and it’s impordant to them that you succeed. As soon as I discovered Rockhurst I fell in love. There are so many activities to be involved with and service opportunities available in the community.

Garret

It’s a great school to go to if you are just focused on studying and nothing else. On the other hand, if someone is looking for a school thar also has a deep Greek life and dedicated to its sports programs, then I recommend going somewhere else. I will say again though that the learning environment is really good at Rockhurst. The professors are always willing to help you if you are struggling with any material.

Zenani

I think Rockhurst is an extremely great environment to learn in. The watchers are always accessible whenever we need them. I think the liberal arts part is extremely strong and everyone is involved with the life of Rockhurst. We maintain a great successful and friendly campus which brings forth new people who look forward to coming here.