Rocky Mountain College

« See more reviews of Rocky Mountain College

Find a college that suits your needs and also fulfills your extracurricular and social interests. You do not want to spend the next four years of your life in a place where you don't fit in or don't feel confident at. Find a school whose programs are reliable and professors who have a thorough knowledge of their subjects. Decide how large you want class sizes to be; I've heard of class sizes ranging anywhere from 4 students to 300 students just within the state of Montana. Basically, find a college that suits your personality and your goals. When you get to college, take part in whatever sort of orientation your school offers. You make great friends and meet new people, which will make your transition from high school to college a lot easier. Keep in touch with old friends, but remember to spend time with your new classmates. You never know when those new connections will come in handy down the road--whether it is for notes or study groups. Put your best effort into your studies, but remember to have fun and enjoy yourself--you're only going to be in college once!

The most important advice that I would give a parent or student to making the most of college would not fully be to look for the perfect academic school, but a school where the student can grow into a good person, while achieving there career goals. College is not completely for what you want to be when you are older, it is something so much more. You create who you are and make friends that you will always have with you. College molds you into who you will be along with what you will be doing. I am not saying just choose a school because it has a great program of study, but to be happy there needs to be a range of things that includes diversity of culture, social life, religion, if the professors actually care and know their field, and pretty much anything that will make you feel comfortable so that you can learn your program of choice, while still figuring out who you are and will be as a person. College should not be limited to just the academic life, but the life of how you will live. This will truly define what college should be.

OK pal, future self here, listen or suffer. First: Stop. F*cking. Procrastinating. Seriously, it does neither you nor I any favors. Second, you know as well as I do that piloting is fun and all, but trust me, actually going to school for it drains all the life out of it. Go for a history major instead at RMC, and a minor in aeronautical science would be really easy from where you're standing. Being an aircraft mechanic is more suited for you, ask the mechanics at flight ops about it, they have good advice on how to get started. Third, stop being lazy, be a man, and get help when you know you need it. The faculty here are pretty good, and Mom is more understanding than you might think. Alright, those are the main things you'll be concerned about a few years from now. Don't have any advice regarding girls, sorry to say. No lottery numbers or anything like that either. Oh well, perhaps 25 year old us will visit you or me at some point with better advice. Now stop whining about your self esteem and go do something about it. Future you, out.

Hey past self hows it going? I see that you are getting ready to graduate high school and are considering which college to attend. You may feel like you should try for an online art degree to stay in sidney mt, but consider this do you want to leave montana forever when your older based on your career choice? I know I didn't and so after putting time and money towards a degree I didn't want, I switched back to my original idea of becoming a veterinarian. I am now pursuing a pre vet degree with a bachelors degree in biology at RMC. It has been long and hard, and I wish I would have started sooner. I am running out of FAFSA aid, and I now have to pray for scholarships and private loan acceptance in order to finish my degree. If I would have just went for my vet degree to begin with I would have been done sooner and had enough to pay for undergraduate. You should start volunteering and getting experience for veterinary now, and start applying for scholarships as soon as possible. This will save you both time and money in the future.

I was a high school senior in 2010 who was doing something rather untraditional, I had decided to study abroad from 2010--2011 as an exchange student in Per Brahe Gymnasiet (High School) located in Jönköping, Sweden. During that year, I repeated life as a "high school senior", and came to learn a lot about myself, my family, and the country I was currently living in. As I look back upon that year and my last year in the US, I would make myself realize how important it is to take care of finances, and plan ahead. I still struggle with this to some degree, but as a teenager we think of only the immediate future, not what could happen further down the line. I would make myself understand the concept of planning and saving. I believe it is a skill that everyone should learn, people need to realize that sometimes immediate gratification is not better long-term preparedness. Instead of buying whatever I wanted, I should have saved the money I earned, and taken better control of my finances. Thank you for your time, Dakota R. Karlsson

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would encourage myself to seek opportunities to grow and to learn skills that will make me successful in college life (like budgeting!) because college is a completely new world compared to living at home with Mom and Dad; the variety of people you meet is astounding and they come from all walks of life. I still can't believe the people I'm friends with now and how unique they are! I would tell myself that it is essential to be genuine with the people you meet because drama flares up easily and to be trapped in the midst of it is a stressful thing, and friendships could be ruined as a result. But the most important thing I would tell my 17-year-old self would be that the people you meet at college, at Rocky Mountain College, will be there for the rest of your life- that is how great your friends will be in college. And on the first day of new student orientation, you will meet your greatest friend yet and she only lives 30 minutes away from you now.

If I could re-trace my steps and go back in time to give my high school self advice, I would begin by saying that everything happens for a reason and that persistance will take you where you need to go. If I knew then what I know now, I would have focused more on creating friendships and self growth. I know now that in order to be successful in this life, you must come to truly know yourself inside and out. I was always quite studious and academic work came easily to me. Even so, I put many hours every day into perfecting my work and accomplishing my goals. I believe that I may have put too much emphasis on this aspect of my life, and not enough on my personal well being. I have come to know the person that I truly am and now realize, and would say to my high school self, that the journey of personal exploration is the greatest feat one can ever accomplish. I would tell my younger self that, even though you do not know it right now, you have overcome a painful past and will have a bright and successful future.

If there was such thing as going back into the past and just to talk to our "highschool senoir" version of ourselves, it would be so dam awesome. My question to myself now is, where in which time peroid during our highschool senoir year? That, my answer to my own question is, start from the very first day at the start of my highchool senoir year. Knowing what I'm capable of now, and if it' even possible to go back into the past just to talk to my highschool senoir version of me, honestly I would be very glad to use as much time as I can talking to my highschool senoir version of me. What I will do is, I'll give him more than just advices, I'll just guide him so that he should force himself to better himself. Something very basic like studying very hard and always never fall behind, and even if he's a little behind, then I'll tell him, " hey you get caught up so you don't fall too far behind". Hopefully this should help my highschool senoir of me to be prepared before he actually get into a college.

Learn how to study!!! As a high school student you can get good grades without putting much extra time into your studies. College classes and tests are so much more indepth and time consuming than anyone realizes. They say that each hour of a college class equals 2-4 hours of studing, but no one believes that in high school. Learn how to study in your own way and keep up with it. Take dual credit classes or AP classes while in high school. Taking these classes in high school are usually easier and much less expensive for the same amount of credits. I did take some dual credit classes in high school and my parents were very thankful. Save your money and apply for scholarships. College is expensive, but so worth it and so much fun. Apply for as many scholarships as you can. They are time consuming and nobody likes to write essays, but receiving free money for school means that you can spend more time studying and playing and less time looking for a job. Last, but not least - have fun!!!

To parents: Begin to treat your student like a "practice adult." Make him/her responsible for his/her own laundry, do some family meal preparation, manage money, hold a job, set his or her own schedule, etc. Give your student the skills to be independent. Do not hover or micro-manage. Let him or her "sink or swim" while still at home. Give your student more and more responsibilty for themselves and others. Stop "taking care of them 24/7."..even though you are just trying to be loving and supportive. To the student: Start taking charge of your own life before you leave home. High Schools and parents still have a tendency to hover over you and manage your life. They still "wipe your butt" for you. Get a grip and grow up NOW while you still have them to catch you if you fall. At school, it's ALL up to you. You gotta (sic) have the skills to survive on your own BEFORE college. A lot of kids "wash out" (fail) the first year at school 'cause they have never had to take care of themselves.