Rollins College Top Questions

Annamarie

None......

Annamarie

Rollins is a great school. While the campus is absolutely breathtaking and the weather is amazing, I don't like Rollins for those reasons; I like Rollins because of the intimate classes and the amazing professor-student relationships. Academics are a serious part of life at Rollins. Since class sizes are so small (my first semester I had a class with just eight students), the professors will always know not just your name but a little bit about what you do outside of class and who you are as a person. This helps foster professor-student relationships in activities outside the classroom as well, especially student-faculty research projects which many Rollins start working on during their first few semesters at Rollins. Personally, the small campus is one of the best and one of the worst factors of Rollins. On the one hand, the academic relationships are great, but, in any situation with a small group of people, if something goes wrong everyone seems to know about it. There is still a constant stream of people you do not know on a daily basis, but you are always guaranteed to run into someone you do know as well. For a small campus, there is not much school pride as well. Fraternity and sorority pride and bonds are huge, but Rollins only has a club football team that has recently started. Even though the school soccer team placed second in its division last year, not many students showed up for games, were even aware, or remotely cared. Overall, Rollins is a great school where you can build great relationships, but, like at any school, there are a few downsides as well.

Kaitlyn

I love the faculty of this school; they are dedicated to their work, their students, and continuing their own learning. The environment on campus feels so welcoming especially with the close attention the school pays to the landscaping. Also, Rollins is willing to work with the students whether it is concerning their financial aid, housing, or need for further academic assistance. Being such a small school, Rollins is able to pay that close attention to each student and try to fit each need. Many people think that Rollins is an uptight school where all the rich kids go because their parents send them here. It is not like that from my perspective; yes, there are those select few that are like that, but frankly you can find that at any school. From my perspective, I see hard-working, dedicated students striving for the best education they can find. So when people realize that I go to Rollins, I think that I change their misconceptions. Another great aspect about Rollins is its proximity to Orlando and Park Avenue. In Winter Park, Park Avenue is the "place to be" with all of its shops, restaurants, and the newly-landscaped Central Park. On Saturday mornings, you can walk down Park Avenue (which is conveniently located right at the entrance to Rollins), see all the families and dogs, visit the weekly farmers market, enjoy a great time sitting on the lawn in Central Park, and even sometimes hear great, live music. There's many other places to explore, but I find that Park Avenue is the most popular. And of course, Rollins is about 10 to 20 minutes away from Orlando, which can satisfy the most cultured, or fun-seeking, or party-animal person out there! At Rollins, we have one day every Spring semester called "Fox Day" where there are no classes and everyone has the day off. Usually buses are provided to go to the nominated beach or place and we spend the whole day there, then have a campus-wide barbeque where everyone eats and relaxes together. On the down-side, the most frequent student complaints that I hear are about Student Records; however, EVERYONE knows that they are hard to deal with and measures are being taken to try and make that relationship less stressful. Thankfully, I spend most of my time in the music department (as a music major) and do not have to encounter Student Records very often.

Kaitlyn

Catharine

The school is always changing, trying to make it a more conducive and challenging environment to learn. Currently they are building a new science building exhibiting their projection for growth in the program and size of the school. During the time i have been at rollins, i have seen much growth in the classroom in terms of the materials and outside the classroom with the addition and restructuring of the majors.

Catharine

Jesse

Small classes, so professors know you by first name. People reaction to me saying I went to Rollins has been both positive and negative. Positive reactions is that the school is highly regarded as the "Ivy League of the Southeast"....ranked by numerous sources as a top private school. Negative reactions were that I must be a rich spoiled kid and feel entitled to everything. I will admit that campus feels like a country club and is in an upscale area of Orlando, Winterpark, in a suburban setting.