Chicago, IL
Roosevelt University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Roosevelt University

Scarlett

Roosevelt University is extremely liberal. There is a wide variety of students such as music students, hipsters, jocks, LGTBQ, and preppy students. There is a little bit of everything at Roosevelt which makes it special. Roosevelt is a small school in a big city. Which is great because it allows you and your teachers to bond while still being able to surround your self with tons of other college students. Roosevelt is different in the sense that there is no campus. There are a few buildings that make up Roosevelt University, and there is a new building which everyone is calling it the "Vertical Campus". It will be the second tallest University building in the United States. I however, like to tell people that the city of Chicago is my campus because with museum campus and the Art Institute Museum so close, your learning is not just at school. I love my school and I would never go anywhere else.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The liberal atmosphere, and all my teachers remember my name yet I am surrounded by students made it perfect.

Roosevelt is a pretty social place, there are many lectures for example recently they had a series of lectures on wrongful convictions. The main sports team we have is basketball although sports are not super popular at Roosevelt. There are many organizations such as LGTBQ and Occupy. There is a huge performing arts part of school and so there are many concerts, musicals, and plays offered. I am personally involved in the Criminal Justice Society because Criminal Justice is my major. The dating scene is interesting because there are so many LGTBQ students. If you are not part of that group then many students either date other Roosevelt students or from other colleges that are close by like Columbia, Depaul and Robert Morris. Many Roosevelt Students are friends with other students from other colleges. My closest friends I met last year just through my classes, but I have a lot of friends that go to nearby schools. Often times you meet people through off campus parties which are a blast. As far as fraternities/ sororities are different here they are often directed towards bettering the community and are not as popular as the college town ones would be. Most kids such as myself go to the museums, shop, and travel to different parts of the city. Roosevelt is a great experience.

There are many LGTBQ (Lesbian, Gay, Transgender, Bisexual, Queer) students at my school. There is even a transgendered bathroom. Roosevelt really goes out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. There are students of al racial/ ethnic backgrounds which brings different cultures into Roosevelt. There is also people from all economic backgrounds. The only students that may feel uncomfortable at Roosevelt are small town kids who are not used to a big city with all different types of cultures. I personally am friends with everyone, and for the most part that is how Roosevelt is. Everyone talks to everyone its not weird for the most part we all get along. Many students are focused on being politically active. Roosevelt is a social justice school and often holds talk about changes that need to be made within are government. The school is very liberal and most students are politically active. There is a huge mixture of students at Roosevelt.

There are not to many stereotypes at my school. There are a few jocks, but it is not a sports school. The two stereotypes are probably jocks and everyone else, but even the jocks will sometimes break away from their team members and talk to the non-jocks.

My classmates reflect the great diversity of Chicago.

My classmates reflect the great diversity of Chicago.

I would tell myself to do things that make me happy. For a while I only did things to appease others, but I've finally realized that I am the one who has to live with my decisions and I only get one life to live. I would also tell myself not to stress out over the little things because eventually those all fall into place.

People with open minds should aattend Roosevelt. It is an extremely diverse school that offers many things to thos who are willing to open themselves up to it.

Morgan

My opinion about Roosevelt is that it has its positive and negative points just as every college or university does, but I feel what sets it apart from other colleges or universities is the dedication that the staff has for the students and also the message of social justice. Being that I am a student with a disability, I felt that it was important for me to find a school that would be able to provide accommodations for what I needed. The Disability Services office at Roosevelt provides the students who are affiliated with their office an array of accommodations ranging from extra time on tests, use for a scribe for tests and or assignments, a note-taker, etc. This is beneficial to me because it allows me to receive what I need and doesn't make me feel as if I have to alienate myself from the rest of my peers because of my disability. There are also many different organizations that students attending Roosevelt can partake in that can help enrich their experience while at Roosevelt such as becoming involved in SPEED, Student Government Association, and Student Support Services/Project Prime just to name a few. Project Prime organization prides itself in helping those students within their program with services like the book lending program to helping provide financial assistance by offering scholarships in order to help pay for tuition. When I tell people that I attend Roosevelt University, they are intrigued because Roosevelt is a school that prides itself on social justice and with that making sure that the students who attend there are not only goal-oriented and purpose driven, but also that they strive to enact some form of change that they would like to see happen not only within the community, but within the world, and I think Roosevelt helps to prepare the students for that through organizations like SPEED and Student Government Association. It is my belief that organizations like the ones mentioned plus others at Roosevelt are what help to bring the students together, and make us not only a community of people, but a family.

Roosevelt University has a campus located on 430 S. Michigan with a cluster of stores and restaurants surrounding it. Four blocks away is the other building at 18 S. Michigan with the exact same sentiments. .

Roosevelt's importance on social justice is an important part of why Roosevelt has a diverse population. We have an array of students from those partaking in the music program CCPA to students who are involved in everything from Biology, Psychology, History, and Creative Writing. The students at Roosevelt are nice and welcoming, and are willing to help other students if needed. Roaming through the halls you are likely to find a music major conversing with a Biology or Psychology major, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that students don't look at lables and feel the need to associate with those who are only Biology majors or History majors. We don't partake in cliques. Every student there, is focused on obtaining their specific degree with the intent to find a place of employment. We are not focused on how each student is finanicially able to attend Roosevelt. We focus more on raising awareness about issues that are important to us and that we feel should be changed.

The academics at Roosevelt are very good. Professors in the specific departments such as journalism for example, know the students by name. The professors at Roosevelt also have actual experience within their field which is helpful for the students because we can learn about what it takes to pursue a career in that field as well as learning about what is currently taking place in that field. For example, I am a journalism major. The professors in my field are able to tell me what editors are looking for in the newsroom when it comes to the style or tone of the articles that we write. Professors also invite other journalists that are working in the field to our classroom to give the students relevant information about what's taking place in the journalism field.

Going to a small liberal school in a big city is great for certain people. If you are looking for the "college experience" maybe Roosevelt is not the right school. There are no frat parties, no football games (but basketball, baseball, tennis and track!) there is no "campus" and the city of Chicago, while filled with colleges, is not a college town. The school itself is great. Wonderful teachers, wonderful facilities, over-all the best experience I could have asked for.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Roosevelt just started having sports on campus. Last year was the first year for the boys and girls basketball teams, the track team, the tennis team and the baseball team. We now have those sports. School spirit has increased so much since the sports have come on campus.

The most popular group is SPEED the student activity board. I myself am a member of Alpha Gamma Delta women's fraternity. There are student groups such as, student government, students for a responsible drug policy, the women's movement group, there is a multi cultural sorority and many other groups. There is something for everyone to join if they want to.

There is every type of person represented on Roosevelt's campus. Student's tend to dress nicer for class than at a traditional campus. No pajamas and often not sweatpants either. Most students do come from Chicago suburbs, I myself did not and had no problem fitting in. A lot of students here get a big scholarship so while it is a private university the majority of students are from the middle class. Students here are extremely liberal as are the professors.

All my classes are extremely small. The biggest class I have ever been in is 40 people. The teachers all have known my name. My major specific classes have been between 8-15 people per class. I have been lucky enough to have plenty of one on one time with pure genius in the profession I intend to have a career in. Everyone participates and the students are all so willing to help each other out. My classes have been interesting and thought provoking. The education at the school is geared toward getting a job and getting it because you are better educated than any other college student from another school. We don't learn from textbooks as much as from hands on experiences and learning by doing.

We are all commuters and older non traditional students but that is absolutely not the case.

Jasmine

If i Could go Back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior,knowing what i know now about college life and making the transtions I would have put more effort in to school did more activites,attened college fairs and vounlenteer! When i was a senior in high school i really didn't have college on my mind i just wanted to finish school,i didn't take high school serious in till i got a taste of the real world and i knew i had to go to college in order to have a better life and provide for my eight month old son! going to college now i love it my grades are better than they were in highschool im more confident and i put effort into my work because i want a better future! being a single mother is hard, but i just want to make my son proud of me in too know that everyone deserves a second chance and that you can do anything if you just put your mind and time to it!

Brenda

Had I been allowed to I would have remained in high school, and went on to persue my education in the medical field as as I did later in life things would have gone much smoother. The only regret I have was that I couldn't get my education earlier. I would tell anyone to persue your education early, make it a top priority. Life will go much better with a good foundation. Then you can build your dreams upon your skills. Your education is something you have earned that no one can take away.

Joshua

The most important thing I would tell myself is to plan for the future. I would tell myself to take the time to actually investigate what options I have, pick one, and go to school NOW. I would say you can either decide to work using your brain or your back. Whichever one you decide you will be using for the majority of your working career. I would advise myself to wait to get married and to have a real means of supporting a household. I would enlighten my young self to the struggles of the real world and how much harder things can be if you're unprepared. I would convince myself that there really isnt a better option than pursuing more education and a better carreer as a result. Overall I would try to remove any doubts and fears about attending college. The final point I would drive home is the unlimited potential for sucess that is available if I'm willing to put in the effort and the joy that accompanies reaching my goals.

Melissa

When I was A high school senior, I wasn't really to sure exactly what I wanted to go to college for. I knew that I wanted to attend a college close to home, and knew that I wanted to go into the medical field. I then attended a college where I was goin for A BSN as an RN, I then became pregnant and stayed in school until I had my daughter. I took off a semester where I then went back to school at a different college. I graduated from there with an Associates degree in science. I took the entry test for nursing and didn't do as well as I wanted. It was about two years later that I decided to go back to school, but this time I changed my major to a Surgical Technologist, and I love it. If I knew then, what i know now, I would have made sure that I knew exactly what I wanted to major in before I started school, and I would have not took off a semester after having my daughter, I would have puhed myself t the end.

yaouzah

If I could go back in time during my high school years as a senior, and knowing what Iam knowing now, I would have to say that I would have to choose college right after. During those times,I really didn't think about how long that it was going to take me to start and pay for school. Back then I did not understand how the payment process of tring to go to school will affect me. I had heard of the financial aid and scholarship s that were out there for me, but I did not have anyone to actually help understand on how the process goes. By then I already enrolled my self into the Army in 1997, having my life planned ahead ofr already. I enjoyed every minute of protecting my country. But something was just missing for me. During mt time in the service I never really had the opprutunity to enroll because I was so busy all the time from work. It's never too late to go to school. I had always admire to to become a nurse or a medical assistant. And now that I am in school, I'm Happy.

Roosevelt University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.