Chicago, IL
Roosevelt University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Roosevelt University

Darius

Roosevelt might actually be one of the best schools that the midwest has to offer if you're looking for diversity, an amazing education, and making lifelong friends and networking possibilities.

Roosevelt University is an urban campus with probably the most ethnic/racial, financially, and religiously diverse school I have considered. I feel like I'm exposed to so many different people and backgrounds and ideas that I would have never experienced otherwise. I have the opportunity to learn in an environment most people only dream about. The classrooms are intimate, so everyone gets a fairly great chance to talk to everyone. Roosevelt students and faculty are EXTREMELY personable and the atmosphere alone inspires greatness knowing that your education is not only focused on, but cared about.

Though being a high school senior was not such a long time ago for me, since my start at university life, I feel like I view the world through different eyes, and would have so much to share with my past self. As far as what I know, I would let myself be surprised, but hint that so much would be learned about myself and the career that I want, and Roosevelt is the right place to help get the most out of my education. As far as making the transition, I would suggest saving while I can. When I was warned that college was expensive, I didn't take those words as seriously as I should have. I would tell myself that I would be alone as far as money goes and would not have the emotional and financial support of those around me, and I have to be strong and persistent enough on my own to make it through the years to come, but that the reward of a great education is incomparable to any dollar amount and heartache associated with family betrayal. Be strong, and have faith in yourself would be the greatest words spoken to myself.

Nneka

If I could speak with my self as a high school senior, I would first start by telling her that she needs to take math seriously. While the excuses may have worked in high school, if she wants to succeed to the best of her abilities in College, retaining her mathematical skills are essential. Next, I would tell her to start search from a Federal Work Study job as soon as she had the means to do so. Being ignorant of the fact that jobs were taken quickly, would mean that many of the supplies she needed would have to wait till I had accumulated enough money to do so. Lastly, I will tell her to love who she is and stand firm in what she believes in. Despite what others may or may not think, it is her life and she should be the only one who should affected her future outcomes.

While Roosevelt University's student population is home to various personalities and personal experiences, the best type of person for this school would either be someone who is self-motivated or can recognize when he or she is in need of help and will find the resources they require. The distractions of the being in the inner-city of Chicago, being responsible for yourself and having to realize your limits, may be too much for a student who normally relies on others or is too ashamed to seek out help when essential.

When telling others about what I like most about Roosevelt University, I always start by telling them of the people that I have met. Due to my Mother returning to school while I was in Elementary, I have had enough experience in Universities to know that what I have found at Roosevelt is special. From Faculty and Professors to Students and Resident Assistants, most of whom I have met have helped me improved myself in some shape or form. Without them, I am sure I would not have succeeded my first year and for that I am grateful.

Caprice

The classmates are very serious and focused about their education and usually students will just come to class and then go right home to study. Classmates here arent really concerned about building relationships with other people as much as striving academically.

Going into my sophmore year of college, I feel extraordinarily more prepared for the academic year than I did when I was a freshman. If I had the chance to go back and give myself advice as a high school senior, the most important thing I would suggest would be to start creating and utilizing tutor and extra academic help resources now because those types of services become very vital in college in order to really be successful in college courses. I would suggest developing skills in order to better adapt living with strangers and the different lifestyles that we are all accustomed to living. Although being involved on campus can be extremely beneficial by building relationships and establishing networks throughough the univeristy, I would warn myself not to become overly involved where I become consumed in extracurriculars and as a result become more destracted from my academic work. Reflecting upon these changes now has better prepared me for the upcoming year where I am sure that I will learn and experience situations differently to only grow each year after.

I wish that I would have been more prepared as far as understanding and developing study habits and knowing how to take really important and useful notes from a lecture without any outline or powerpoint.

Joseph

If I were able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell "myself" to never give up. The transition from high school to college is extremely challenging. Most individuals have no idea what to do after they receive their diploma and I was no different. Plus, kids living in dorms may have never lived outside of their parents' domain for a long period of time. So this is when I would mention to my past-self that the passions that have ignited my spirits throughout my life must not become part of the collateral damage that can develop in college due to social pressures. And that the social pressures will need to be faced "head on" as a representation of real life experiences and future obstacles. "This is the time to shine, my friend!"

I have found that one of the worst situations at Roosevelt is the lack of scholarship opportunities. While I was able to hold a high GPA from a two-year college, the hard work has not translated into much financial support from the University except for the financial aid that I will probably have pay for for the next ten years of my life.

This college is built for any type of prospective student. The opportunities for night classes are great for working adults and graduates who have already begun their careers. Even recent high school graduates will find the course selection intriguing and the academic background of each professor top-rate.

Antonio

I have developed an appreciation for knowledge. Education is very important. I grew up with very little motivation to learn. Neither of my parents went to college, and my father didn't go to any type of school. I want to make my family proud. I have four siblings and I want to give them a role model. I talk to them about what they want to do. I try to keep them focused on school. I stopped going to school for a while. I couldn't get a decent job, so I decided to go back. I learned that life can be tough. I know that getting an education is very rewarding, both emotionally and financially.

Some classes are only offered in a certain semester. This makes it very important to develop a plan to graduate in a timely fashion.

There is a very limited availibilty of classes.

Nichole

Roosevelt University is known for Social Justice. Social Justice is included in every college that is apart of Roosevelt and also every program. This is a very important in society today and it is a good consideration for a college to be best known for.

School has always been extremely important to me. I am currently studying to be an Elementary Education and Special Education Teacher. I transferred to Roosevelt University in the spring of 2010 into the Education Program and loved it. I have had several opportunities to be placed in classrooms to experience hands-on classroom training with amazing teachers. I have learned so many valuable classroom management/behavior, organization, personal organization, and situational strategies from my experiences through Roosevelt University that I will take with me into my future classrooms for the rest of my career life. Also, this University has many professors that are beyond highly qualified for their jobs and are able to provide their students with personal experiences that I have come to find tremendously helpful. My experience in college at Roosevelt University is very valuable to me and I strongly believe that my experiences, extensive work hours, and hard work will go along way in not only my future as a teacher, but also for my future students and coworkers.

Many students that attend Roosevelt University (Schaumburg Campus) are adults going back to school to get their degree. There are a lot of required group projects, in which make it difficult to complete when placed in groups with adults who have schedules that do not only revolve around them but also their families.

Malaca

my classmates are fun and eneregetic people who are wanting to learn and get an education at a great school.

my college experience isnt like most. i am attending a great school in one of the best cities in he world. i go to school where the lake is only a few minutes away. i meet new people everyday. it is also a great way for me to start off my career because the city is where i need to be for my major. i love the student teacher ratio and all that roosevelt has to offer. we just started sports and all the new an exciting spirit from our school is nice to see.

i tell them about the earlier times of the school and how unique it is. i also tell them that our dorms are built in 2004 so they are bigger then most. i also tell them that it is the perfect size. the student teacher ratio is perfect. i tell them that it is in the middle of the city right on the lake. i also tell them that our library is beautiful and most of the class views are of the lake.

Milton

Small classes allow for good relations with the teachers, while also being in a large city which allows for exposure to different cultures, and different types of people. The college is also very diverse which give multiple perspectives in class.

College has been a big difference from high school. In High School it was easy to put things off until the last minute, because sometimes the work could be done in a few hours. In college that is not as easily done. The college professors expect projects and papers to be completed with college level writing, which means you will possibly need a few drafts and somebody to look it over before you complete your final draft. In college it's also different being able to make your own decisions while being away from your parents. Each day you will wake up and choose what you will do instead of following what you are told to do; you can go to class or not go to class, in college no one is on you about completing things. This can hurt you or help you; If you come into colllege prepared it will help you, such as what my parents and high school has done for me, prepared me for being independent and making my own choices in college.

The lack of athletics which would usually bring a University together, and Roosevelt does not have that.

Parker

Just after World War II, when most colleges were placing caps on the number of African-Americans, Jews, and other minorities allowed to attend, a few social-justice-minded individuals came together to start Roosevelt University. Today, Roosevelt advertises itself as a "forward-thinking," community of diverse students in Chicago. At under 5000 students (Grad and undergrad), it is small enough to know everyone in the same major. Class size is small, most teachers are attentive, and there is a wide array of people with all different beliefs and backgrounds in each classroom. There is no current "campus" to speak of and this makes fostering community and social life specific to Roosevelt difficult. In the next several years, Roosevelt will be going through many changes as it builds the second tallest university building in the country and changed the look of the Chicago skyline. Additionally, Roosevelt is building a sports program that has garnered interest in ChicagoLand area among media and community members. In addition to the Chicago campus, there is also a suburban campus in Schaumburg. This campus has mostly non-traditional students.

The student body is incredibly diverse and no student is racially, sexually, or economically typical. The school advertises itself as a social-justice campus and, accordingly, many students would describe themselves as liberal or progressive. There is a strong sentiment from many students that they will go into the world and make a difference. Many students have a job that helps to pay bills, have children, or live on their own. Campus housing reflects the independent streak in RU students and offers apartment-style living. Most students at RU have always lived in Illinois and, if they aren't living on campus, they live at home or in a place of their on in Chicago. The fashion at Roosevelt is mostly "urban" and many students blend in with other Chicagoans. It isn't typical to see sweatshirts or pajama pants. There is a portion of RU students that fall into the "hipster" category and dress accordingly.

-There isn't a huge greek life at Roosevelt, instead we make fun of the CCPA theater or music kids. -Though it touts itself as social-justice-minded, RU has not always lived up to that ideal. By contracting out to non-union security and catering services, Roosevelt does not ensure the safety and well-being of employees in the building. Additionally, last year Roosevelt signed a contract with Nike prior to listening to the concerns of students who were worried Nike's record on human rights did not befit the university. -If you want to find the hipsters, the "art" kids, or the radicals, take a look at who is smoking outside. Roosevelt has plenty. -Roosevelt has a pretty decent merit and aid-based scholarship program. -If you are a transfer student, there is no place better than RU when it comes to accepting transfer credits or accepting nontraditional students. -There is very little pretension at RU and there is likely to be little judgement over politics, religion, or academic record. -Roosevelt's Auditorium building is historically rich. +Black-out paint can still be seen on the intricate stained-glass windows in the building from when the school housed soldiers in WWII. +Al Capone was once arrested on the staircase inside the building. Gangster tours frequently stop in the building to point out the spot. +Prominent figures like Albert Einstein and Pearl Buck once served on Roosevelt's earliest advisory boards, stymied by the brave new precedent RU was setting for education. +Prominent alum from RU include: Politicians, Mayor Harold Washington, Congressman Mike Quigley, Congresswoman Melissa Bean, Congressman Bobby Rush and poet, Shel Silverstein.

Some might regard the academics at Roosevelt less rigorous than other schools but what it seemingly lacks in rigor is more than made up for with the grounding, real-life experience and example of the faculty. Many of the professors work in the same profession they teach and there are quite a few who are prominent in their field. Because of the emphasis on real world knowledge and the access to community connections, students are more than prepared to begin a career during college and upon graduating. It's true that the acceptance rate at Roosevelt is high, creating a varied academic capability. However, most students at Roosevelt take their studies seriously because of the wish to better their lives upon graduating. The student body is filled with veterans, continuing education students, and students from every spectrum of the socio-economic scale. Very few take the college opportunity for granted. Roosevelt also has a relatively well-known conservatory program (CCPA) for music, theater etc. This IS known as being quite rigorous and the students in this program are incredibly dedicated. It is not uncommon to find CCPA students singing in the halls or acting out performance pieces to whomever will pay attention!

If you are coming to Roosevelt for the typical movie-style campus life...forget it. You won't find a mascot running around, huge turnout at sports events, or dozens of school-sponsored events on any given day. You will, however, be encouraged to go out into Chicago to find your own community and get involved. There is a student council and activities board that makes up the heart of what goes on at Roosevelt plus several active to semi-active student organizations. The size of the school makes the student council and activities board seem very "clique-y" while most student orgs struggle for members and resources. Do not expect huge on-campus activity. Many students live off-campus and interact socially with other Chicago-area schools like UIC, Loyola, Art Institute, Robert Morris, Columbia, and Depaul.

Roosevelt University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.