Roosevelt University Top Questions

Ralonda

I am an incoming transfer from community college. It's definitely a different environment from what I've experienced before. Larger campus. More resources and opportunities. I'm excited to grasp all the information I can from this institution as this is my second chance at higher learning.

Jana

It's a great school with great options for anyone not interested din the sciences. It's a school with a social justice mission, so there is that sense of humanity in it.

ENLIN

It's a school provides helps for those who deserves it. I'd change some teachers who I don't think are qualified for the subjects and are not enthusiastic in teaching. It's a school with just right size. People don't know this school exist. Library. The administration is not clear in their policies. there's not a lot of school pride. nothing is unusual about the school. one of the teachers told me "you don't need to know how to do this problem to pass the class" when I asked something deeper than the textbook.

Scarlett

Roosevelt University is extremely liberal. There is a wide variety of students such as music students, hipsters, jocks, LGTBQ, and preppy students. There is a little bit of everything at Roosevelt which makes it special. Roosevelt is a small school in a big city. Which is great because it allows you and your teachers to bond while still being able to surround your self with tons of other college students. Roosevelt is different in the sense that there is no campus. There are a few buildings that make up Roosevelt University, and there is a new building which everyone is calling it the "Vertical Campus". It will be the second tallest University building in the United States. I however, like to tell people that the city of Chicago is my campus because with museum campus and the Art Institute Museum so close, your learning is not just at school. I love my school and I would never go anywhere else.

Going to a small liberal school in a big city is great for certain people. If you are looking for the "college experience" maybe Roosevelt is not the right school. There are no frat parties, no football games (but basketball, baseball, tennis and track!) there is no "campus" and the city of Chicago, while filled with colleges, is not a college town. The school itself is great. Wonderful teachers, wonderful facilities, over-all the best experience I could have asked for.

My opinion about Roosevelt is that it has its positive and negative points just as every college or university does, but I feel what sets it apart from other colleges or universities is the dedication that the staff has for the students and also the message of social justice. Being that I am a student with a disability, I felt that it was important for me to find a school that would be able to provide accommodations for what I needed. The Disability Services office at Roosevelt provides the students who are affiliated with their office an array of accommodations ranging from extra time on tests, use for a scribe for tests and or assignments, a note-taker, etc. This is beneficial to me because it allows me to receive what I need and doesn't make me feel as if I have to alienate myself from the rest of my peers because of my disability. There are also many different organizations that students attending Roosevelt can partake in that can help enrich their experience while at Roosevelt such as becoming involved in SPEED, Student Government Association, and Student Support Services/Project Prime just to name a few. Project Prime organization prides itself in helping those students within their program with services like the book lending program to helping provide financial assistance by offering scholarships in order to help pay for tuition. When I tell people that I attend Roosevelt University, they are intrigued because Roosevelt is a school that prides itself on social justice and with that making sure that the students who attend there are not only goal-oriented and purpose driven, but also that they strive to enact some form of change that they would like to see happen not only within the community, but within the world, and I think Roosevelt helps to prepare the students for that through organizations like SPEED and Student Government Association. It is my belief that organizations like the ones mentioned plus others at Roosevelt are what help to bring the students together, and make us not only a community of people, but a family.

Parker

Just after World War II, when most colleges were placing caps on the number of African-Americans, Jews, and other minorities allowed to attend, a few social-justice-minded individuals came together to start Roosevelt University. Today, Roosevelt advertises itself as a "forward-thinking," community of diverse students in Chicago. At under 5000 students (Grad and undergrad), it is small enough to know everyone in the same major. Class size is small, most teachers are attentive, and there is a wide array of people with all different beliefs and backgrounds in each classroom. There is no current "campus" to speak of and this makes fostering community and social life specific to Roosevelt difficult. In the next several years, Roosevelt will be going through many changes as it builds the second tallest university building in the country and changed the look of the Chicago skyline. Additionally, Roosevelt is building a sports program that has garnered interest in ChicagoLand area among media and community members. In addition to the Chicago campus, there is also a suburban campus in Schaumburg. This campus has mostly non-traditional students.