Roosevelt University

« See more reviews of Roosevelt University

Make sure you pick a college based on the student's individual needs, not just on the school's reputation. Make sure you visit the campus so you'll know if you can really see yourself there. If you can, talk to students who attend that university and try to shadow a class or two. Make sure as a student you get involved early! Go to as many club/student group meetings as you can early on. I highly recommend living on campus at least your first year. You'll meet people much easier and it's much easier to get your questions answered when you need it! Also if you can, get a job on campus; it's easier to work around your schedule. If you spend a semester at the college and it's not a right fit, don't be afraid to transfer - it's much better to find a college where you'll be happy than the convenience of staying at a school where you are miserable. Finally, enjoy yourself wherever you end up - these are the best years of your life!

The most important thing I would tell myself is to plan for the future. I would tell myself to take the time to actually investigate what options I have, pick one, and go to school NOW. I would say you can either decide to work using your brain or your back. Whichever one you decide you will be using for the majority of your working career. I would advise myself to wait to get married and to have a real means of supporting a household. I would enlighten my young self to the struggles of the real world and how much harder things can be if you're unprepared. I would convince myself that there really isnt a better option than pursuing more education and a better carreer as a result. Overall I would try to remove any doubts and fears about attending college. The final point I would drive home is the unlimited potential for sucess that is available if I'm willing to put in the effort and the joy that accompanies reaching my goals.

Take it serious. Don't let people stand between you and your future. You always know what's best for you, deep down inside, and if you stick to that and see it through you can never go wrong. It's ok to help yourself every once in a while, just don't forget where you came from and don't forget where you want to be. Life is so precious and short, it's important to make every minute count, and never forget that things can change in the blink of an eye. Don't be afraid to relax and enjoy the changes, embrace them and you may never know what opportunities could come. College is about making connections and starting out on the right foot in the real world, so make it count. You never know how much you might miss if you don't enjoy the moments while they last. And above all else, remember that it's ok to ask for help. It's ok to reach out when times are hard, no matter how frightening it might be. Being alone is far scarier.

College has been a big difference from high school. In High School it was easy to put things off until the last minute, because sometimes the work could be done in a few hours. In college that is not as easily done. The college professors expect projects and papers to be completed with college level writing, which means you will possibly need a few drafts and somebody to look it over before you complete your final draft. In college it's also different being able to make your own decisions while being away from your parents. Each day you will wake up and choose what you will do instead of following what you are told to do; you can go to class or not go to class, in college no one is on you about completing things. This can hurt you or help you; If you come into colllege prepared it will help you, such as what my parents and high school has done for me, prepared me for being independent and making my own choices in college.

When I was A high school senior, I wasn't really to sure exactly what I wanted to go to college for. I knew that I wanted to attend a college close to home, and knew that I wanted to go into the medical field. I then attended a college where I was goin for A BSN as an RN, I then became pregnant and stayed in school until I had my daughter. I took off a semester where I then went back to school at a different college. I graduated from there with an Associates degree in science. I took the entry test for nursing and didn't do as well as I wanted. It was about two years later that I decided to go back to school, but this time I changed my major to a Surgical Technologist, and I love it. If I knew then, what i know now, I would have made sure that I knew exactly what I wanted to major in before I started school, and I would have not took off a semester after having my daughter, I would have puhed myself t the end.

I would tell my high school self to actually do in depth research on the schools you are interested in. You need to be realistic on the location of the school. Find at least one local school that you would think about attending. Are you really willing to move out of state? Can you afford this school? Finding the right school has a lot to do with who you are and your own personal interests. Look past everyone telling you where they want you to go and choose the perfect school for yourself. Those people are not the ones who are going to the college for you. Find a school that can help you grow not only in smarts but also as a person. It might help to talk to a current student of the school you considering. You will find the right school for you and when you do you will be fine. Make sure you meet all deadlines and plan for life ahead of you as a college student.

If i Could go Back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior,knowing what i know now about college life and making the transtions I would have put more effort in to school did more activites,attened college fairs and vounlenteer! When i was a senior in high school i really didn't have college on my mind i just wanted to finish school,i didn't take high school serious in till i got a taste of the real world and i knew i had to go to college in order to have a better life and provide for my eight month old son! going to college now i love it my grades are better than they were in highschool im more confident and i put effort into my work because i want a better future! being a single mother is hard, but i just want to make my son proud of me in too know that everyone deserves a second chance and that you can do anything if you just put your mind and time to it!

If I had a chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would scream to myself that Education is the key. It took me almost five years after my high school career ended to know that not only did I want to return to school, but that I wanted to return to school to become a teacher. I truly believe that Education is the one tool that can make a difference in someones life. It is the one thing that can fulfill ones life. With out an Education life is so limited. Having an Education is something that no one can ever take away from you and it is something that is never ending. If I were to go back I would enforce this mentality into my Eighteen year old mind. Pointing out that all the classes I once deemed as silly and unnecessary are indeed very necessary. My hope is to be not only a life long Educator but a life long learner.

I have made the decision to return to school due to being seriously injured at my workplace. Since then I have discovered my potential of learning and my inner strength`s to overcome odds that have tried to be an obstacle. I have received a multitude of education so far, and I have done this while recovering from a serious spinal laminectomy and fusion surgery. I have more medical procedures upcoming and I intend on being a full time student. The staff at ECC has given me the resources and the encouragement to fulfill my dreams. I have already been named to the Dean`s list, which is evidence of the excellence in achievement from this institution and how they pride their school in improving people`s lives through learning. As I continue the path to higher learning I will continue to validate that ECC emphasizes both access and excellence.

College is nothing like high school! You have to really study and apply yourself to your work. Don't take a completly full load your first semester in college. Take four classes at the most and give yourself time to adjust to college life. Also, don't start taking any courses that are specific to one major until after you have at least half of your general education credits completed. This is to save time and money. If you go into college thinking you know exactly what direction you want to head in be prepared to change your mind half a dozen times. Take time to explore the different options that are available, this is best done by taking a good variety of general education classes. Don't waste time and money on classes that will not advance you toward your degree. Be smart, talk to an advisor and take a career assessment test.