Roosevelt University

« See more reviews of Roosevelt University

You will never have any idea whether a college will be a perfect fit for you or not. As terrifying as that sounds, until you've had your own college experience, you won't really know what you want or what to expect. Taking tours, talking to students and professors, and trying to get a feel for a school is extremely valuable, and it will absolutely help you in your decision making process. Still, there is always risk. Be aware of the risk, but don't let it hold you back. Going to college is like jumping off of a cliff into a pool of water. You can stand at the edge of the cliff and evaluate everything that could go wrong, or you can dive in with reckless abandon. Going to college is the most exciting time of your life. Don't wait on the edge, dive in! Find yourself! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Well, I would start with highschool preparation, and allowing the student to really explore possible career choices versees their interests and skills. It seems that higher education in America could be a little better planned out, and that many end up switching majors throughout their calloge career. In addition, I would tell parents to start saving for college when their children are born. Also, I would tell students to not be afraid of reaching out to people who work in the field thay are looking to go in. For instance, if one is majoring in journalism then I would suggest that early on students are given opportunities to hear from real people in the field, and to know about the future of journaiism. Moreover, just more serious planning should start sooner, and college should be looked at as an investment.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self I would tell myself to be prepared for the worst. A lot has happened in the past nine months that have shaped me into an almost completly different person than I was. My sister, Amy, began to suffer from deep depression and almost commited suicide. I would also mention how bad money issues have gotten. Being able to tell myself about the future would've helped me prepare for the craziness that I've experienced. Craziness through my family and through the truely fearful cost of college tuition when you have no money. These events have made me a better person though. Things have gotten better, and they've given me a new appreciation for the things I have. I would also say to take more science/technical classes. As an economics/pre-med student I'll be taking a lot of them.

As I have faced the curve balls that life has thrown at me, my education has been more off than on. Finally I have gotten a break and am going to swing at this chance for a home run. In the time that I haven't been in school, I have learned that it is important to keep learning and that it is possible to do so. I am going to run full tilt around the benchmarks that are a formal education and in the process teach my children to never give up on a dream, education is important and requires effort, work and fun. After surviving a strike and several ball attempts at coming back to school, I have found the perfect degree and the best way for me to achieve my dreams and help make them reality. The last thing I hope to get is a homerun in being debt free and a career that I love with time to spend with the family.

I would have my parents/or students write out what type of environment is best for them to learn. In order for one to succeed in school, one needs to be in an environment that enables them to grow. Some people like large cities or some like small towns. Also, some might succeed in small classrooms while others succeed in large classrooms. Once they find out what environment suites them, then the next step is to find schools with that type of environment and has the desired major the parent/or student wants. After a list is assembled, the next step is to apply to the ones that match the parent's or student's criteria and sit back and wait for the responses. The hard part is then over, now it would just be the time where the parent/ or student would wait to see if they got into the schools they applied for.

I would advise myself of the following. First of all, study as much as possible. There will be times when you want to go out to bars or to party, but you need to find a balance between academics and a social life. It is important in college that you make friends and most of those friends will be there for a long time, but you need to able to tell them when you can hang out with them and when you cannot. It is okay to find out new experiences with friends, but it is also equally important to find out new experiences by yourself. It might feel weird, but you might find people that like the same thing as you. When you begin to live on your own, you may want to not stay in contact with the family, but you should. Your family, especially your parents, are going to be there for you no matter what.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell my younger self that college has its ups and its downs. But if there were no struggles then you wouldn't learn as much. College is not only about furthering your academic knowledge , but also you life knowledge. You learn so much more about yourself and how the world works than you ever could have in high school. I would tell myself not to worry as much because college is a transition that is necessary and there are so many people around that are just there to help if you need it. I would tell myself that college is important so don't take it lightly, but also don't go overboard and let it take over your life because you only care about your GPA. Focus on yourself too. Have free time to read, hang with freinds, and SLEEP! You'll do fine. Best of Luck

I think that I would tell myself that no matter what, pick a plan and stick with it. When I was younger I was trying to prove to people that I didn't need school to be successful. I shouldn't have stayed out of school for so long because it is what I was excpected of me. I guess that is what happens when your a head strong teenager and fight with anyone. I would also tell myself to listen to you heart and go because ultimatly, its for you anyway. The last thing that I would tell myself is that there is no sure things in life. Your life takes roads to other things all the time. I was suppose to be training as a musican. I have found another passion in my life that forfills me more then even music did. So, keep your eyes open for other things. It might just change your life!

If I could speak with my self as a high school senior, I would first start by telling her that she needs to take math seriously. While the excuses may have worked in high school, if she wants to succeed to the best of her abilities in College, retaining her mathematical skills are essential. Next, I would tell her to start search from a Federal Work Study job as soon as she had the means to do so. Being ignorant of the fact that jobs were taken quickly, would mean that many of the supplies she needed would have to wait till I had accumulated enough money to do so. Lastly, I will tell her to love who she is and stand firm in what she believes in. Despite what others may or may not think, it is her life and she should be the only one who should affected her future outcomes.

If I were able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell "myself" to never give up. The transition from high school to college is extremely challenging. Most individuals have no idea what to do after they receive their diploma and I was no different. Plus, kids living in dorms may have never lived outside of their parents' domain for a long period of time. So this is when I would mention to my past-self that the passions that have ignited my spirits throughout my life must not become part of the collateral damage that can develop in college due to social pressures. And that the social pressures will need to be faced "head on" as a representation of real life experiences and future obstacles. "This is the time to shine, my friend!"