Roosevelt University

« See more reviews of Roosevelt University

Make sure that you visit the campus! See the school with your own eyes and get a feel for what it will be like before you make your decision. Going and sitting in on a class is a great idea! By doing so you will be able to see just what the school has to offer. Also, try getting in touch with a guidance councilor from the college. They will be able to share a great deal of information with you about the school when it comes to costs, fees, classes and structure. But make sure you talk to some of the students too! They are going to be able to give you the best advice because they are living the experience. Student will be able to tell you about everyday college life, what the coursework is like and so much more!

Take college seriously from the onset. My biggest regret is fooling around when I was young and fresh out of high school. I am now 26 years old and still have another year to go before I earn my bachelor's degree. Most of my friends finished high school in four or five years and now have careers with well paying salaries. I, on the other hand, am still working every weekend when they have off. I am also now in the situation where my parents are done paying for me to go to college, so I am forced to take out loans. There will be plenty of time to have fun after you earn your degree. The best advice I can possibly give is this: Work hard now, so you don't have to later.

Make sure that the student really knows what they want to do before they go to a big school. If I could change one thing, it would have been to stay at a community college until I knew what I wanted to do. Instead I wasted time and money on classes that didn't go towards my major, since i switched so many times. Make sure the student has enough structure to go to a big school. If not, the smaller schools work out a lot better. I went to a state university with 200 people in lecture halls and never had the structure to go to class, since the teachers never took attendance. Once i went to a smaller university, my grades have dramatically improved, and so has my effort.

If I could go back when I was a senior in high school in 2004 there is a lot I would tell myself about college life and making the transition. I would tell myself to get involved with different school activities it whatever I have time to do. To find different types of organizations or clubs to join that would catch my interest. That trying your hardest is one of the most important things to do in your college life and how important my first semester is. To find a career that you can not wait to get started in. The most important thing I would tell myself is that, you only live once and that participation and academics will structure your life from now until forever.

They should be focused and they should try and select the school they think is the best for their children, especially the school that will make one achieve his/ her goals in life. The schools should not be choosed based on nearness or tuition, i think parent should look at the school way of teaching and impacting knowledge into students, with all these at hand they will surely pick the best. Students should make most of their college experience because in college you learn soo much and you see soo much, these experiences are one time experience that one will cherish most in life.Student should make use of it and utilize it in a positive way.

When you get to college, don't just sit in your room all the time. I know it's a scary experience, but go out there and start getting to know your classmates! I'm not in any way saying to become best friends with everyone you meet, and you don't even have to like all of them, but AT LEAST GET TO KNOW THEM, and respect them for the work that they are doing. If you spend all of your time in the dorm room pining for your high school friends or wishing you knew more people or that your family was closer, then you're going to miss out on the opportunity to make new lasting friendships that you'll carry with you throughout your life.

I would advise students to make a list of their priorities, both academic and social. For instance, if Greek Life is important to you, make sure the universities to which you are applying have acccess to fraternities and sororities. I've also noticed that often students end up transferring because they weren't certain what specific major they wanted to pursue. Even if you do not declare a major initially, prioritize your interests to be sure that the university you select offers courses in related fields. Finally, although it is important to consider your parents' wishes, don't let them hold you back from following your dream.

Take the time out to find the college that suits your personality the best. This helps the student strive academically and socially. I think diversity is key in preparing the student for the real world, so don't be afraid to choose something different from where you were raised. Remember time management is a key skill in college and will help you academically. Try to maintain as low a level of stress as possible. Although school can be stressful and tough, keeping a level headed attitude will make things much easier. Look for ways to release stress in a positive and healthy way. Have fun and enjoy the best 4 years of your life.

For the students who are trying to find the right college, pick a college that you would like. Try not to pick a college just because your friends are going there or because it's known as a party college and all you want to do is party when you get there. College is a very importmant part of your future and what you will become. Take it seriously, because if you don't you might regret it in the future and you won't be able to change what you have done. It doesn't mean that you should not have fun while you are in college. You definetly need to have fun sometime and enjoy the experience of being in college.

If I could back in time to my senior year in high school I would fill out more scholarship and grant applications. I never thought I wouldn't finish college with the rest of my friends. I was one of the many colllege students who failed to finish school due to payment. I entered my college career with a few scholarships and grants but not enough to complete my college career. I don't have many regrets in life but that is one of them. I am almost 30 years old and know if I don't move foward with and take the time to do what I didn't do then now I will not fullfill my dream of becoming a teacher.