Rowan College at Gloucester County Top Questions

Carley

If I could go back to my senior year self, I would tell myself to not slack off towards the end of the year. I started to get out of th habit of doing homework, which has proven to be a problem now that I am in college. I get all of my homework done, but after talking myself through it because of the lack of homework I had toward the end of senior year. Another thing I would tell my senior year self, and even my middle school self, is to get good studying habits. I never used to study throughout middle school or high school, therefore, I have very little study skills. This problem has proven itself every time I have an upcoming quiz or test. Learning amazing, or even subpar, studying habits will be incredibly helpful once you get into college.

Tara

I would tell myself not to worry so much, and just enjoy the process. In high school I was nervous about college: nervous about not being able to find my way, nervous about not knowing anyone, and nervous about the obstacles I would face. Having been in college for over a semester now, I realize that my worries were unfounded. The great thing about college is that it is filled with so many good people. I dropped my books in the hallway once, and two complete strangers helped me to pick them up. In high school, kids would probably just walk around me. Everyone at college is going through the same things that you are; everyone is nervous, and everyone is willing to help because they either are or have been exactly where you are. You are not alone. In fact, college is the place that can make sure you are never alone. There are endless possibilites for making new friends who want the same things that you do from life. So calm down, and just enjoy the ride, because people, including yourself, will make sure that you not only learn, but thrive.

Megan

Have confindence in everything you do. Do not procrastinate because college goes by very quickly and they dont hold your hand like in high school. The syllabus is your bible to every class, do not loose it and look at it often. Make friends with your advisor they will be directing you for the next two years. Don't be so hard on yourself. Be accountable for your own actions. Find yourself, pick a career you love because later in life you don't want to dread getting up everymorning. More than anything stay focused, don 't let others get in your way. "Don't worry about you failures,worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try." -Jack Canfield

Janet

I would tell myself to stay in school. Apply myself in my studies and maintain honors. Plan to attend college as soon as high school is over, without taking any breaks. If you push and apply yourself now, it will pay off later. There will be plenty of time to enjoy life after you obtain your degree. Many things will happen which will try to kick you off track, but stay focused, don't let the stressors of life impede your education. Don't let friends influence your decisions and be engrossed in your studies. Graduate with honors knowing that you have done your very best.

Shannon

If I had the option to go back in time and talk to myself I would definitely take advantage of it. Not that I do not like where I am in life right now, but I definitely would have done a few things differently. I would tell myself that I need to be more out going when it comes to joining clubs, and asking more questions. I would definitely try to make more friends but joining in more. Though I am out going when with friends, I feel like I should have done more in my first year of college to make a bigger group of friends. That would have made me first year of school way better, instead of just missing home and staying in my room.

Folarin

As an adult student looking back a decade, I can see quite a number of things a could have done better. As a high school senior, my greatest intention was to graduate and go to medical school. However, I didn't have well planned objectives as to how I would go and achive my goal. If i knew then what I know now, or perharps half; I would have giving my education more priorities than I did, attended every after school programme to make sure my foundation in my major sciences were as solid as rock. Also, I would had enlisted in the military at a younger age as suppose to when I enlisted at twenty-two. As a veteran, I feel it is good for every young galant youth to service in the military for personal developement. Lastly, I would have given more to my communty than I did, in terms of volunteering. I always had interested in helping people and if I understandstand then the reward of helping people without being paid for it, I would have giving it more time. It is good for a person to look back, finds his or her mistakes and correct them.

Cheryl

The best advice I would give myself is to use my time wisely. Time management is a huge part of starting college. For instance, making datelines, when I signed up to attend college apparently I was not aware of all the datelines and time frames I would have to deal with. I signed up for the spring semester about a month before it started which made me rush through everything. I'm still waiting on my financial aid to be processed, I have not got my books yet and I'm praying that I can get a small loan (if needed) to help with my out-of-pocket expences. So I would definately tell myself to not do everything last minute. Working ahead of schedule and being prepared are also things I would tell myself. However, in the end, it all would boil down to time management.

HopeTrifiletti

After just finishing my first semester at the nearby county college and looking forward to moving on to a four year university this fall, my senior year does not seem to far behind me. And one of my largest regrets is that I don't have more under my belt. I would implore myself to be more involved in academics than I did. I was recently told to invest in my education by someone I hold in very high regard. I would tell myself this when, as a highschool senior I was working many hours each weak and trying to save money. I would be tired at school the next day and often, have trouble concentrating. The transition from high school to college has been easy, and I have learned to put education first, to pace myself and find a reasonable, healthy balance between work and school. The main lesson, is to use your time wisely. At the time, I thought I was, but I realize that I should have put my high school education first, instead of working so hard towards my future educations funds. Prioritize your time, and invest in your education.

Elaina

When I was a senior in high school, I had no idea that getting into college would not be easy. I was a very good high school student, but I didn't want to do more than what was required. I thought if my grades and art were good enough then I would get accepted into college and that was that. I never considered how expensive many colleges were and I had never bothered to look for scholarships since I thought my parents could simply pay for everything. However, it was not until recently that I realized that colleges are more expensive than I had thought, and there is no possibility my parents can pay for everything. If I could go back in time and talk to myself in senior year, I would say: "Stop being lazy and start looking for scholarships!" I would say that my parents "work hard to put you in school and the least you can do for them is to help pay for your education. " I would convince myself to start looking for scholarships then and to continue looking for them in my first year of community college to make life easier in the future.

Kasey

My advice is to give it all you got. I thought just because it's community college that it would be a cakewalk and I wouldn't have to try anything new. Odds were that I met a lot of new people and made new friends even though I was living at home. I would have tried harder for a higher GPA and made it into a higher level of school to push myself.

Denise

I would've told myself that instead of going to Gloucestor County college try and go to a Culinary School. Being a chef is someting i really want to do and it would be a great way to get that much closer to my dream job.

Nikki

I did not enroll for classes my first year out of high school, so to gain health insurance I started to work full time. I became dependent on my earnings and only attended school part time the following year. I would have told myself to focus on school full time and work part time, and to also find out as much information about the scholarships available as possible.