Rowan University

« See more reviews of Rowan University

The worst aspect of Rowan University is really two things. First, every social event outside of school involves the excessive and abusive use of alcohol. I stopped going to parties after I saw that my first one was exactly how Animal House portrayed it for me. Second, I love the classics. There is something lovely about attending a university, and unfortunately there is only one building on campus that accomplishes that: Bunce Hall. The outside architecture and even inside construction of our buildings is too comtemporary. Our Science building reminds me of the Hospital on House M.D.

The worst thing about my school was the preparation I was given for applying to graduate school. My advisor was no help in this process; he did not give me the appropriate course work to be able to be accepted at Rowan, where I earned my bachelor?s degree. Luckily, I had a professor who liked to help students through the application process. If this professor had not volunteered his time I may not have successfully applied to graduate schools and been accepted at 3 of the 5 I applied to.

Construction creates problems in areas all over, but currently Rowan is under major construction. Traffic around campus is horrible, sounds of drills and trucks wake you up at all hours, and sometimes certain parts of campus are shut down due to it. I absolutely love Rowan so far but the ongoing construction is a huge nusance. Even though I understand that when it is done the university will be majorly improved, it is presently the one aspect I consider the worst thing about my school.

The worst thing about my school is some of the classes. Some of the required classes will not help me with my future at all and others are simply repeats of one another. For example, I had a computer class Fall 2009 that was very informational and I learned a lot, this class was for my Math/Science major. This semester I have another computer class that is for the education aspect and it is a complete waste of time and money. There are a couple classes like this.

Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to find parking all throughout the school. There are too many times to tell about how every spot is filled until you reach the far back of the parking lot. I see many other students complain each morning about this as they try to commute to class with hundreds of others who are also looking for parking spaces. It can become very troublesome to find parking, and I will always find it to be the worst aspect of the school.

The on and off campus police departments priorities. The police are far too concerned with making money for the township rather than creating a safe environment for the students that provide these funds. The allocation of funds seems misguided and the university is trying to become a large school too quickly, rather than allow it to happen overtime, naturally, given the state of most public schools in New Jersey.

I would say non-academically, the food system because it controls when you eat. We cannot eat freely. If you eat one hour you would have to wait four hours later in order to order or get food again in the cafe or anywhere, except if you order food off campus and or buy food from a store on campus. Other than that your not allowed to get food consecutivly with your rowan card (university credit card).

If I had to pick out the worst thing about the school it would have to be the location. It is approximately 100 miles from my house and the campus itself is pretty much in the middle of nowhere relatively. The town of Glassboro is a small community with not that much to do near campus. However, there are opportunities if you can walk a little further or are lucky enough to own a vehicle on campus.

The worst thing about Rowan - I'm sure this applies to any other school as well - is the politics involved with things such as the Student Government Association. SGA elections seem to be solely based on popularity rather than capability. Also, the SGA controls everything from what groups can become official clubs to the funding of those clubs., something that is unfair to me.

Because it is a university that is still establishing itself, there is limited space around campus. Therefore, there are only so many allowable sections for a specific class. More classroom space would allow for a more beneficial experience because a wider variety of classes could be offered.