Rowan University

« See more reviews of Rowan University

In hindsight, I would tell myself to start utilizing all the resources that the school offered relating to career exploration and to do my own research as well. A high school can only do so much to help you figure out your educational path. Consequently, research is essential--I would tell myself to really delve deep inside myself and find something that I loved to do. College means responsibility, and the coursework can be overwhelming. That's why it's important to absolutely love what you're doing. That way, you'll look forward to going to class and completing assignments. In addition, I would tell myself to network as much as possible. Establishing professional relationships is extremely effective in helping people land internships, potential careers, and can open many other doors. Sometimes it really is about "who you know." Lastly, I would tell myself to prepare for a different world because college is nothing like high school; it's exhausting but undoubtedly worth it. Not only is it an educational learning experience, it provides applicable life lessons that will stay with you forever. Ultimately, maximize the potential of everyday because it goes by twice as fast as high school

As an adult returning to pursue a graduate education, I have a decade more experience than my high school senior self. I finished my undergraduate degrees with a fair amount of success and have worked, both in the Education field I pursued fresh out college and in a fair amount of other fields, searching for the career that suited me best. In retrospect, the transition from high school to college was not a difficult one. I had always loved school and been a motivated learner. I wish, rather, that I had been better prepared for the transition out of college. If I were to advise my younger self, I would prepare me for the hardships to come. I would warn myself not to be discouraged by the countless applications that would go unanswered or turned down as "inexperienced." I would tell myself to pursue more avenues since the things I truly loved about teaching could also be found in a variety of human services fields. I would tell myself to pursue each opportunity with the same tenacity with which I pursued my education. Mostly, I would assure myself that each obstacle can be overcome, and that it's all worthwhile.

The college experience is a great one. The best advice I can give about finding the right college is to visit any school you are even slightly interested in. Sometimes when you get to a school you thought you would love, you hate everything about it. Also, don't be focused on the "name" of the school. Sometimes the schools that do not have the division I football team or the IV league reputation, will fit your personality and goals. Also, remember to not put so much pressure on finding the exact right school for you on your first try. Many high school students are only eighteen when they are searching for schools and they can make mistakes. Transfering is always an option and many times a tremendous learning experience. To be sucessful in school, manage your time! You can easily get into the habit of going out every night and skipping a class here and there, just do not lose focus of why you are there... education! Most importantly have fun and try new things. College is a time for growing and most campuses have wonderful opportunities to learn knew and exciting things, so take advantage of your school!

College is one of the most influential times in one's life, and planning for it may seem like a daunting task. Students should survey many various colleges, taking into consideration how they learn and what institution will aid them the most in their career plans. Visiting a college can make a huge difference; what is included in a brochure may not be indicative of what the college has to offer, among other small details. Personally, when I visited the first college I attended, I immediately fell in love. Based solely on their website, however, I would not have felt the same about its atmosphere. Despite what some may believe, "making the most" of a college experience is vital, especially if a student is paying a great deal to attend. Students should grasp every available opportunity to immerse themselves in the culture of their institution. Attending club, Greek life, or sports meetings is a great way to begin. If one does not find that appealing, however, socializing after class or on the weekends will help alleviate stress from schoolwork and create a social network if peer assistance is ever needed.

When I first began my formal education at Rowan University, career planning had been opened up to my life. Although I wasted no time in furthering my studies in geography, I soon began to forsee a bright future based on a specific career choice which, for the first time in life, I am able to stick with. In part, the dedication to my career choice is apart of my "growing up." However, this form of public service has the chief obective of keeping communities safer by aiding police units with spatial analysis in a criminal investigation. My college years, thus far, have been a time to sharpening my communication skills. The ability to work in groups, to establish common ground on a number of concrete issues, and to collaborate ideas and impliment club objectives plays an integral role in my success with others. This ability is one of endless subtle benefits a college education can provide for you as long as you let it. Rowan is far from an IV League. However, the college experience is all about what you make of it. When I applied myself this mindset, I soon began to forsee a bright future.

Since attending Rowan University I have gained many lifelong skills. Such skills include time-management, conflict resolution, responsiblity, networking, acceptance rather than tolerance, patience, and how to prioritize. Overall, I feel as though I have truly learned to grow up. There are no parents telling you to go to class or to come home at a certain time. However, with great freedom comes great responsibility and I am glad that I have been able to learn many things on my own. I watched many former friends get caught up with the "fun” aspect of school, spiral downwards, and forget why it is that they are attending college. I have also benefited from learning how to network while attending Rowan University. I have joined multiple clubs, organizations, and even gotten a job on campus. I have met and befriended people who I never would have thought I would. I have enjoyed taking classes geared towards my major which prove to me that I am going down the right path. Overall I have gained a sense of self from my college experience and I cannot wait to see what the next three years hold.

Finding the right college is unquestionably a challenging task. When choosing the right college, there are several factors you should consider. 1. Size. Do you want to attend a small or large school? 2. Location. Do you want to attend school in an urban or suburban area? Do you crave grassy campuses or a city that never sleeps? 3. Distance from Home. When you decide on how far you want to be from home, consider how often you want to visit. The farther away, the less often you can visit. 4. Activities and special programs. Everyone has different interests. Find a school that has a program to suit your interest. 5. Majors. It is important to go to a college where they will prepare you for your chosen profession. If you are not sure, you should attend a college that will offers many options. 6. Trust your Gut Feeling. Personally visit the school and walk around the campus. If a place feels right, you?ll feel right at home. If it feels wrong, don?t go there. Trust your instincts. After you get into the right college, you'll just have to make it out alive. Good luck!

I think the biggest advice I would give myself is breathe! I was so incredibly anxious and nervous for my freshman year at college. It was my first time truly being away from home and I was skeptical about what the "college life," would be like and if Rowan University was the correct school for me. If I knew then what I did now, I would be excited more than anything! I would tell myself that this would be the most impactful and life-changing experience for myself. Honestly, I wish I could repeat my freshman year of college. I would also tell myself to stay true to who I am, because many things in college can try to change you or effect your morals. I would tell myself to experience everything I can because you never know who's watching you, or what window will lead to a magical door. College is filled with friends, academically hard-work and opportunities you can only gain through experience. College is the time of your life, if you are there for the right reasons and have an ambitious personality with a drive. I would tell myself congratulations and welcome to Rowan University!

I was always a go-getter and self-starter. Independance is my middle name. Attending college (during my tenure, Rowan was known as Glassboro State College) made me realize that I was not the responsible person I thought I was. I didn't know how to choose the classes I needed. Thank goodness I had a wonderful advisor, Dr.Nichols, who was able to shape my classes to achieve my future goals. I was a nontraditional student, older than most, a single parent and on welfare. I was able to skip a semester because of life experiences and was eligible for financial aid. I learned what responsibility meant while attending Rowan and through work study, I had a chance to work in the field of my future. I truly believe that if I had not attended Rowan, I would still be a single mother on welfare. I got my confidence and self worth back. I WAS SOMEBODY! I excelled in my classes. I tutored others. I no longer blamed my situation on my child and my relationship with her got much better. Rowan allowed me to mature not only into a valuable member of society,but also an employable one.

As a high school senior I had big dreams. I initially began college as an art major, but LOVED children. Teaching art seemed to be ideal, but one thing lead to another and I found myself as an elementary school major. If I could talk to my "senior self" I would recommend a few things. First, I would HIGHLY recommend either going away for four years or attending community college first and then transfer. I commuted and missed out on the college experience. Secondly, I would suggest to that senior to continue after graduation and move right into a master's program. It is now 21 years later, I'm just now getting back and it is difficult. However, I'd also tell my senior self, to not sweat the small stuff and make each choice count! Life happens and we have to make the best of each day. Learning is a privilege and should be viewed as such. Appreciate each opportunity and soar. Lastly, I might even tell myself that I am proud of my own accomplishments. I'd tell "me" to hang in there when the going gets tough and keep on keepin' on. Education is invaluable.