Rutgers University-New Brunswick Top Questions

I like Rutgers because it is very diverse, and it has many different interest groups. There is no shortage of skaters, anime fans, movie maniacs, theater groups, study groups, environmental advocates, etc. Rutgers is going to be a great place to go because everybody can fit in.

Neha

l

Klaudia

I love Rutgers and everything it has to offer. It's right in the middle of New Brunswick which has tons of awesome restaurants, theaters, and entertainment available whenever your heart desires. It is also close to the city with trains and buses available for transportation to and from NYC. This is great for students who are job searching or have internships there. I definitely think that Rutgers is just the right size and at first, it seems impossible to get around, but within a week you will know every nook and cranny.

Rutgers is a great school. It provides us with numerous options for classes that even the pickiest of students can enjoy. The teachers are all have vast knowledge of the subject, are interesting, and are available for help whenever. There are extra curricular activities that can interest anyone from greek life to sports to clubs that are filled with those with similar interests and knowledge. The night life is also amazing, as one can find something fun do to on almost any night of the week.

I have to say the best thing about Rutgers is everything it has to offer to it's students. With so many students from all over the world, Rutgers is a true melting pot of different interests and studies. Every year there is an involvement fair where the 300+ student run organizations and 60+ fraternities and sororities set up tables and start off the year telling interested students what they have to offer. The student clubs on top of the activities that are held where students can win free prizes and food leaves the students always active on campus. When I tell students or adults that I am in my senior year at Rutgers, most of the kids have questions to ask while the adults can name at least 3 people they know who are alumni. New Brunswick is also a melting pot of sorts, with the small mom and pop restaurants alongside well known chains. I personally live off campus and and can see Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital where I have volunteered in Pediatrics for two years. Rutgers is like every large university in that our school pride can be heard from the surrounding towns. Football games are one of a kind with our stadium that seats 50,000 and a student section where quiet is an unacceptable description. Speaking of sports, our recreation facilities are enormous with an olympic sized pool and more than 13 gyms and fields accessible to the students. In lieu of recent tuition hikes, the administration does an outstanding job at controlling the large student body. They keep our interests in mind by always reacting to surveys and constructive criticism from students. One thing that freshman always have a hard time adapting to is the bus system between the 5 campuses. This is truly the only flaw at Rutgers, with buses hardly being reliable and some campuses being more easily accessible than others. Although this system could be improved, most professors understand the system and are more than happy to talk to any student during their office hours. More than half of the undergraduate classes have 30 students or less while 7 percent have 100 or more. Classes such as General Biology and any of the core math/psychology courses usually have more than 150 students in the lecture portion. What this requires students to do is what I like to call "making yourself a name and not a number". Students have to reach out to the professors more than they would have to in high school by going to office hours and conversing regularly with them through email or school based discussion tools. Looking back on my decision to attend Rutgers, I couldn't be happier. I was able to find a great group of friends with the same interests as mine and was also able to explore interests that I have never heard of before. After visiting our campus and talking to current students, it is clear why the Rutgers name is recognized all over the country.

The best thing about Rutgers is its incredible diversity. I like to think of Rutgers as a smaller model of the "real world." If you go outside, meet people and submerge yourself in Rutgers, you will undoubtably encounter a flood of people from different cultures and backgrounds who will broaden your views. That being said, Rutgers is a huge school. I actually transferred from a smaller liberal arts school to Rutgers, because the college I attended freshman year felt too small, limiting and restricting. Rutgers is incredible because it is constantly brimming with someone new to meet, a new concept to learn, or an organization to become involved with. For a student who is outgoing and ready to look for and seize opportunities, Rutgers is the ultimate resource. The size of Rutgers can be intimidating for some, but because there are five separate campuses, you truly can make the school as big or small as you choose. For example if you live on Cook Campus, you can stay on just that campus for classes, dining and resources, or you could explore other campuses. Every campus has a distinct feel of its own. I spend most of my time between my apartment off campus, and the Art Library on Hamilton and George Street. One of my favorite aspects of Rutgers is that many undergraduates move out of their freshman dorms and into apartments and houses that are walking distance from College Ave campus. The College Ave community is a small city of Rutgers students sitting on porches, walking back and forth from class and trying to cook in their kitchens. Downtown New Brunswick, which includes the streets between George Street and Somerset, which are both walking distance from College Ave are full of restaurants and low key places to get food and coffee. Downtown New Brunswick is a bit of a gritty college town, but it truly is a diamond in the rough. Look closer, and try new cuisines with your new friends. You will find some gems.

Eli

As a student about to graduate, my opinion of Rutgers was contingent on several factors, but most notable, and probably the most important is: did I learn, and did I have fun doing it? I can say that I have and I did. I found a good group of friends with whom I could live and have been with them since my first year. My classes and extra-curriculars provided me with very intelligent, like-minded people without whom I cannot imagine my college experience. I've learned a great deal since my first day in college, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. The school itself is gigantic, and if some feel crowded out by it, that is understandable. For the price one pays because of that size, the school is reasonable. The school also makes scholarships available for those who do well and demonstrate good academic rigor, so payment often is not a problem if one studies. Because Rutgers is not a specialty school (like Georgetown is for politics and the like), many from other universities perceive Rutgers by the negative stereotype of the Jersey Shore, a blight on the image of anyone from New Jersey. Luckily, there are groups such as RU Association of International Relations working to change that. Rutgers is essentially New Brunswick; all of the restaurants in downtown New Brunswick (specifically George Street) are easily accessible for all Rutgers students, and Rutgers offers a monetary account called "RUExpress," allowing for a student to pay for items with their student IDs. The school administration has been a point of contention for several years now, which is why the president recently stepped down and a new one is taking his place. Another point of ire amongst students is the bus system, which is subject to the whims of both the New Brunswick rush hour and the bus drivers themselves. Nevertheless, they are efficient. The most recent bit of controversy for Rutgers came in the wake of the Tyler Clementi incident, which gained notoriety and a feeling of disdain for Rutgers nationally. For those unaware, Clementi was a gay teen who had been afraid to tell his parents or friends of his sexual preference. His roommate, with motivations unknown, decided to record Tyler's sexual encounter with a fellow male student and broadcast it over the internet. After finding out his roommate's actions, Tyler drove to the George Washington Bridge, where he jumped and committed suicide. The school and the students held memorials for Tyler soon after. There is no one personal experience that I'll always remember, simply because I've done so much in my 4 years.

Karan

Rutgers was always my first choice because it was close to home, and i think the best thing about the school is it's diversity. I have been lucky enough to get to know several people from different ethnical backgrounds. One thing i would change about the school is it's size. The school can be a bit overwhelming with it's 4 campuses in New Brunswick. A more smaller university would have been better to network more with people majoring in different fields. I spend most of my time on campus at the Student Center because that is where all my friends meet, and it's close to most of my classes. The College town of Rutgers is New Brunswick. Rutgers is surrounded by pubs, restaurants, Grease Trucks, and a nearby train station for easy commute. The school's administration, i think is one of the best. From the deans to the faculty, Rutgers offers great courses with skilled professors to teach them. Any questions are answered by The Rutgers Helpline or quick replies by the dean via e-mail. The biggest controversy was the death of Tyler Clementi when he killed himself after his roommate filmed him having an intimiate encounter with another man. There is a lot of school pride especially during football season. There are no unusual things i can think of. The school has had faced some criminal activity with students being robbed at late nights. I will never forget the RU day earlier this year. It ended up with kids from the downtown area of New Brunswick getting in and starting fights. The most frequent complaints are of the tuition hikes that the school is facing.

I have really enjoyed my experience at Rutgers University. As an out of state student, I feel that Rutgers has been an amazing opportunity, not only to learn in the classroom, but also to learn about different cultures, and what life is like for other people. There are great opportunities for living both on and off campus, and the administrators and professors are both highly motivated to help students, and are often on the cutting edge of their fields. The main campus is in the college town of New Brunswick, New Jersey, and is within traveling distance of quite a few major cities. In the past few years, there has been controversy in the news about Rutgers, regarding a few different issues. I feel that even though Rutgers has received negative publicity in the past, it is a very well run University with compassionate employees and administrators. Many people are impressed when I tell them I go to Rutgers and I an proud that it is the University I chose.

Rutgers University has much to offer each and every student in a unique way. The best thing about this school is that diversity is present virtually everywhere one goes. There are so many cultural influences present at our school, allowing for everyone to learn from eachother. The school is quite big, yet there are several campuses which breaks the school into comfortable quarters. Students are supplied with dorms if they wish to dorm on campus. The dorms are where kids will spend most of thier casual time, perhaps in one of the many study rooms provided. Students here have many resources to unlock and utilize, however the only thing I could possibly complain about is the soliciting of many of these resources. There are many programs that are offered and presented openly to the public, but throughout the year one may notice several programs or clubs in existance that they were never informed about.

The thing I love the most about Rutgers is the team spirit that everyone seems to have. Rutgers may fail in quite a few areas but its students never fail to show support in Rutgers events, such as sports games and other causes the students believe in. One thing I don't especially like about Rutgers is its size. I can't say it's too big because this is a personal choice and it changes from person to person. Going to a school with a large student population can be nice for some things, like game days, but it be easy to get a little lost in large classes where everyone is fighting for the professor's attention. If you're someone who doesn't especially need individual attention or help, then Rutgers is probably a great school to attend. However, if you're like myself and like to get personal with the professors, then I would consider smaller schools (also depends on your major; if you are going into a highly popular field, such as science, then classes are large but if you go into something less popular, such as English, then the classes are smaller). In terms of administration, Rutgers could definitely improve (but who couldn't use a little improvement?). I've met quite a few deans at Rutgers and I can only remember 1-2 deans who have truly been helpful AND encouraging. College can get really tough at times and when you seek help, you want someone who isn't going to just tell the shortest answer possible and send you on your way; you want someone who will guide you and show you your options and follow-up with you to see how you are progressing. Dean Anderson on College Ave is the BEST dean to do this; she has not only helped me through my toughest times at school by helping me make a plan, but she always encourages me and shows support in my endeavor to reach success. I think one of the biggest complaints from Rutgers students is the wasting of money. Now, I think this is a touchy subject because unless we're in the position of these school authorities, we don't have a right to criticize and say how easy it would be to fix problems at a college/university. However, Rutgers students feel that Rutgers occasionally wastes money on things like new carpeting in the dining halls or the expansion (drastic expansion..we're talking HUGE remodeling of some campuses) of particular campuses or even the newspaper (that many don't read and are littered everywhere). We feel like Rutgers can spend this money better by fixing AC/heat units in old buildings so that we are sitting in classrooms of appropriate temperatures. Rutgers could also probably offer more scholarships/financial aid to kids who want a college education but can barely afford to pay for it. They could also give more printing credit to students instead of giving us such little amounts and making us pay for printing if we go over the given limit.

Neha

I didn't like the school in the beginning of freshman year, I thought the school was too big and it was hard to just get an answer from any administration office. However, it really takes time, one thing I realized was that it is really up to you as a student and how involved you want to be. How involved you are changes the entire dynamics because the school is so big it's hard to make friends and gain that intimate friendship level. But once you're in, you'll have a great time. There is the greek life, public service/volunteering groups, intramural, Clubs, and work study really ties people together. The great thing about Rutgers University - New Brunswick is that even though it's really big which is a drawback, the pro is that since it is so big there are so many types of people that you can definitely find one that you'll fit in with. When I tell people I go to Rutgers, there's that notion of being from a scandalous/ promiscuous environment but once again it's really what you make of it and who you hang out with. Since Rutgers has so many campuses on the New Brunswick Campus - it is actually College Ave that is the highlight campus to party on because of all the frat and hosue parties, and eat "normal" food. Also another benefit of living on college ave is having the accessibility to catch the train into NYC and not having to wait on buses. Oh, Rutgers has buses that take you from campus to campus because classes are scattered EVERYWHERE. Sometimes, it's fun riding a bus (when you're drunk) and something it's just horrible (when it's raining and you're trying to get to class). Rutgers is known for the "RU-Screw" which basically entails what it's hences. The administration screws you over with credits, requirements, class offerings, financial aid, meal swipes, I mean anything unfair on Rutgers end is the RU-Screw. The beauty of it is that we all experience it ... everyone knows the "RU-Screw." I'm sure everyone is aware of the recent epidemics that have occurred on campus, RIP Tyler Clementi - who was bullied for particular reasons. Eric Legrand's health problems, and Snooki from the Jersey Shore being paid an obnoxious amount of money to talk to students. Rutgers football games are the best, hot fall days pre-gaming with friends and going to the game is great followed by a great win and a good house party is the ideal college story but it just depends if you like to attend sporting events and drinking. It's fun to just go and hang out even if you don't understand the sport, most people don't even listen or watch because they're too intoxicated. One experience i'll remember on campus has to be during the spring semester freshman and sophomore year when the bugs decide to have an epic mating season and just populate every dorm room. It's hard to sleep when you're scared of bugs and they hang out in your dorm room. Most student complaints have to be buses, there may not be enough running, or weekend buses that run at like 40 mins pace, over packed. Also, takeout at some of the dining halls are just horrible like college ave - food is bad ... save your swipes for livingston of douglass starbuck drink swipes.

Leena

When people ask me how I feel about Rutgers, the answer is simple. I love it. And true love means taking the bad with the good. The best thing about Rutgers is the diversity. It's a huge school, so you're liable to meet people from all over. And not only are the students diverse, but so are the programs that are offered here. There's such a wide variety of majors and minors to choose from. From Science to the Arts to Humanities, Rutgers has it all. Another great thing about Rutgers is the school pride. On any given day you'll see many kids wearing Rutgers apparel, proclaiming their love for our school. On game days, it's even crazier. You'll see black and red EVERYTHING-painted faces, painted bodies, dyed hair, banners hanging from dorms and apartments. Everyone takes pride in Rutgers. Another great thing is the location. New Brunswick is a bustling city, which means it's culturally diverse and brimming with new experiences. There are so many museums, restaurants, theaters, and parks to explore. There's always something to do, and you don't feel isolated to the college campus. However, there are some frustrations that come with being a Rutgers student. With such a huge student body, the administration has a lot on its plate, and mistakes can be made. Problems you encounter at Rutgers are affectionately called "The RU Screw". But you shouldn't let that discourage you. No college is perfect, and administrators do their best to help you sort out your problems. Once you come out on the other side, it's easy to look back and laugh about the ole RU screw.

Jerry

With a school as large as Rutgers, the opportunities to be involved with organizations, teams, causes, and other groups are plentiful. Every studend should take advantage of the resources that come with a state school. Students can be as active or as passive in however many groups they would like depending on their own interest and schedule. While I would personally recommend becoming invovled with extracurriculars, a tremendous college experience can be had without them, simply by going to class, studying, hanging out with classmates and in and around the dorms. Since the most students who live off campus are within blocks of the College Ave campus, students both dorming and not are still integrated with one another. The bus system, though maligned by many, does a good job of keeping the campus connected. Within Rutgers, students will get the contrasting feelings of both the large and small school atmosphere. Yes, it is a large state school where each student is a number, but within each students' community, whether it be school, major, dorm, campus or organization, one will have that smaller community vibe where each person knows each other. School pride generally surrounds the football team for most people. The campus and community definitely comes alive during the season. All in all there is something for everyone, and like any school, is what you make of it. The one thing Rutgers has going for it is the opportunities it provides and makes available for those who want to use them.

Rutgers is a large university with a diverse student population. Because of this there are enough opportunities for everyone to find where they belong. For in state students it's a great deal since it's about the cheapest respectable big name university out there but out of state students will be heavily outnumbered and asked why they came here. International students probably outnumber out of state US students. Students study very hard since classes in most majors are demanding and in staters get a lot for their money. Each campus has it's own academic focus and they're mostly ugly and prone to flooding in the rain. New Brunswick is an okay city but there's not a lot to do here except for drink, which is how many students spend two or three nights out of the week. Lots of school pride since the football team has been doing well for the last few years and the city has been embracing this. There's a number of great events every year. Tent State is a yearly protest against high tuition and the war and whatever else they feel like and is a good excuse to smoke up and have sex in a tent. Rutgersfest is an outdoor concert with maybe one played out hip hop artist and two unknown or formerly popular bands but causes the whole student body to wake up before noon to start drinking. The football games are fun to go to and the RU crowd is a little rude and rowdy. We also have Hot Dog Day and a number of smaller events during the year. If you have to spend four years somewhere you could do a lot worse than Rutgers. Work hard and you'll get an ivy league education for half the price. Slack off and why bother.

Charlotte

Rutgers is huge, and as expected, there are not enough administrators to accomadate every student's personal needs. The help is there, if you want to seek it out, but be prepared for a lot of bureaucracy and paper work. It's in New Brunswick, which is a limbo city, neither here nor there. There's a huge socio-economic divide between the kids going to school and the general population of the city, and the school usually gets it's way in terms of zoning, city planning, and funding, often to the detriment of the rest of the New Brunswick community. As a public school, Rutgers is influenced by the tax-payer's and the state's interests. Sometimes this is great and means the school can't cut funding for important academic and artistic programs, but more often it means we spend a million dollars (literally) for a new football coach to boost our image and attract better atheletes. Such is the paradox of public funding. It all depends on how smart the public and the administrators are.

Betsy

It's a bit large so you sort of get lost in the masses unless you become involved in many extracurricular activities. This, I find, is the best way to find people on campus with similar academic and life goals in general. It's nice to be so close to an urban area (The City of New Brunswick) for those times you need to escape campus life. One experience I will always remember is the Anti-War Rutgers Walk-out that happened recently. It's amazing how many Rutgers students become fearless activists with confidence of making a difference beyond our direct communities, both on a local and national level.

the best thing about rutgers is the social life. one thing id change is having equally nicer dorms at all campuses. its a large school, but not for everyone. for me it is okay, i have no complaints. when i tell people i go to rutgers they see me in a good light i guess. even if everyone from where i live goes here or eventually transfers or visits here alot, its still a positive thing. i spend most of my time in the student centers since i do not dorm or live on campus. my classes are close together so i go to class and then chill, study, do nothing, hit friends up. there arent recent controverseys ive heard recently taht are big. there is a lot of school pride around football season. only thing unusual ive seen at rutgers are some of the people here. but it is a very good thing that the school for hte most part is diverse. i can't realli say i have taht amazing crazy experience yet cause i have only been here like 3 months. most frequent student complaints have to do with thinking about going to class or not.

ryan

There is a lot of Rutgers pride, especially when it comes to football. although the latest controversy in our school has been about the approval of the football field's expansion which will cost the school approximately 80 million dollars.

Akira

Ok so being a transfer really gives me a totally different perspective of Rutgers University. At first I loved it, then somedays (When financial aid is on my tail) I hate it and then when I finally accomplish the goals I set out to complete in it I give it a perfect seven (Hey there is always room for improvement). Rutgers has a large amount of activity on campus which is great because you dont have to go very far to enjoy yourself. With sports, various clubs, organizations and parties Rutgers literally has something for everyone. I tend to commute most frequently between Livingston and Douglass because I have more friends on these campuses and all my extra curricular activities are on these individual campuses (as well as classes and the place i sleep and yada yada yada). I have had the priviledge of interacting with some administration and faculty for both academic affairs and leisure. They have always been very professional as well as very helpful when needed. Also, having the priviledge of studying abroad, I have found the faculty to be the most dependable even half way across the world!!! I must say that Rutgers is very openminded which makes it a great place to explore who you are and get away with it! With that said complaints are often minimal with the basics such as housing, financial aid, ect. but overall its a wonderful university because it not only handles its problems, as they arise but it lets the world know "Yeah we have issues just like you so, we know how to fix them".

Rutgers is a great place if you like to be the small fish in a huge bowl. It's a do it yourself school...which for an out of stater...really isn't worth the money. You don't have anything given to you, and no one will help you out...unless you really look. The campus is too spread out...with far too much traffic in between. It can take an hour to get from one class to the other when you rush. Parking is attrocious. I would definately say New Brunswick is a college town...I couldn't imagine the "college town" atmosphere anywhere else. Rutgers Administration is a joke. Full of red tape, nothing gets done...too departmentalized. There is a hell of a lot of school pride...extremely fun athletic events.

I literally have no complaints about Rutgers. This is a safe haven for people who like to destroy stuff everywhere. Freshman year, I caused about 2100 dollars of damage to the quad one tunnels on Livingston, which was later written about in the school newspaper. In addition I have been a chronic marijuana smoker since I was in 11th grade, and on several occasions I was comfortably able to smoke in my room without there being any consequences. Additionally when I was a freshman, on several occasion I TP'd many buildings and smoked weed where I shouldn't have. On probably about 3 occasions I had to run from the police, never being caught. I'm not exactly in the best shape and for me to be able to outrun a police officer from rutgers makes me think this: anybody can get away with absloutely anything. This school is the place that dreams are made of... wet dreams.

Tim

Best thing about Rutgers: a very diverse student body. There are enough of us where you can basically always find one or more people that share your study habits or some of your general interests. One thing I'd change: the course registration process. Sometimes the registration web site overloads within the first 30 minutes or so of it being opened up and if you're waiting to sign up for a popular course section, you might get screwed out of it. But I'm not sure what they'd do to fix it, I just know it sucks. School size?: I like it, but it might be too many people for some. I spend most of my time on campus in the apartment. They have nice apartments. College town: New Brunswick has a lot to do, lots of places to eat etc., just don't get caught in the wrong part of town after hours as there is definitely crime. Same for most college towns though. Rutgers admin: Never dealt with them too heavily, so no real opinion. The school is still running so they must be doing something right.

I just love the whole dynamic of Rutgers. I like that it's set in an urban area where public transportation is so close. College ave is blocks from fine dining, shops, and nightlife spots. I enjoy getting to go to a different campus everyday and I think the bus system is terrific. Rutgers and the city of New Brunswick makes for an interesting college experience, one that prepares you and sets you in the real world. Although aspects of this city are very dangerous and neighborhoods may not be very affluent, I feel it's good for students to see that. It's humbling, it makes you keep in mind what you're working towards by earning a college degree, the amount of people you can help. Living close to College Ave I get nervous when I'm walking home from the computer lab at 2 or 3 in the morning. But when I walk by a Rutgers Patrol car it puts my mind a little more at ease. The College Ave area is very well monitored and controlled. The city Rutgers is situated within also creates a wealth of internship opportunities and business connections. I feel there's a really strong sense of Rutgers pride. I love that Rutgers alumni help out undergrads as much as they can. I love that our stadium is painted scarlet with the red shirts of all the screaming Rutgers students and fans during football games. I'll never forget the chaos of rushing the field during the Louisville game. I'm extremely proud to tell people that I go to Rutgers.

I would say the best thing is the diversity here. There are so many different people and things to do. Even though the school is massive, it's very easy to find people to associate with. Sometimes, though, I do feel like another face in the crowd. There are so many students that seem superior or equivalent in their skill sets around you. However, I think it's better to get over this complex before actually entering the real world. There is always going to be someone bigger and better than you. But you can still distinguish yourself and do whatever is in your power to get where you want. At Rutgers, I was able to learn this mentality very quickly. If I would change anything, I would maybe institute a more comprehensive mentoring programs to help freshmen adjust to thinking like this. With so many campuses, there is always a plethora of options on any given night. Personally, I live close to home and work in a pharmacy a couple times a week. There are always interesting speakers and clubs at the various campus centers. Rutgers is also in near vicinity to the New Brunswick Theater district, which has recently hosted bands like Jimmy Eat World and speakers like former President Bill Clinton. Many of the events offer student tickets, catering to us poor, downtrodden students. The food is GREAT. In my opinion, New Jersey pizza in general is better than anywhere else, so you can't ask for much more. Of course there's always the grease trucks if you're really hungry. There has been a lot of noise lately about the considered budget cuts that maybe arriving in the upcoming weeks. With the approved stadium expansion, this has hit many students hard when they hear about a 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} education cut. While nothing that drastic is expected, my class year already experienced a budget cut our freshmen year. Part of Rutgers' allure is the affordability of education for in-state students. If that changes because of a stadium expansion, something is wrong.

Rutgers is huge. It's divided into 4 or 5 campuses in two cities, divided by a river. I think it's completely normal to take buses to class (yes, sometimes, 2 buses to get to one class). It's easy to get lost among the crowd. You have to assert yourself if you want to get noticed; talk to professors, join a club or three, just get involved.

Dale

Rutgers is huge. If you enjoy being an individual among many, then this if your school. If instead you'd prefer smaller classes, then reconsider, especially since the budget cuts last year, almost every class is as full as the classroom allows.

The best thing about Rutgers is sheer amount of opportunity it provides, for people of all majors and backgrounds. The school is small enough to have a close-knit group of friends, (especially if you get involved) but large enough "disappear" if you wish. People out of state tend to give Rutgers more credit, while in-state people usually have a baseless negative attitude towards it. I spend most of my time on campus within my clubs and organizations, along with the many libraries available for studying. The many Rutgers campuses offer many different "college campus feels," from the "college-city" feel of New Brunswick to the small college feel of Cook Campus. The Rutgers administration, unfortunately, is reflective of New Jersey itself in that I do feel there is a significant amount of corruption and disregard for the wellbeing of students. Controversies, however, are not too common. School pride is most evident at the football games, a great and exciting way to show Rutgers pride. I'll always remember the experiences I've had volunteering and participating in student organizations, which are all extremely diverse, which brings up another one of Rutgers' strong points. Diversity at Rutgers is unparalled, where people from around the globe come to study. The most frequent student complaint is probably the buses, which can be annoying at times but generally work very well for the amount of students they have to transport in and around the four New Brunswick campuses.

The best thing about Rutgers is how amazingly huge this campus is. I love the idea that I live in a town of college students. The houses, the apartment buildings, the restaurants are all filled with Rutgers students. It's quite surreal to me actually. Even in my third year here, I constantly find myself at awe that I'm in this world in between previously living at home and eventually entering true adulthood where I'll really be on my own. I think Rutgers provides a nice transition in that sense. Some might say it's too large, but I love the fact that I can meet anyone and everyone here. People usually respond pretty positively when I tell them I attend Rutgers, but I really don't think people really understand how great it is to actually be a student here. People always seem interested in knowing about the parties and coming here for weekends but Rutgers is so much more than that. When I'm on campus, I love spending time at my apartment building, Rockoff Hall. Being that it's the luxury apartment building of Rutgers University, it offers great facilities along with an entire apartment building of great people. I love hanging out with friends and knowing that when it's too cold outside, a party, a nice dinner, or a friendly hangout can only be floors away. Rutgers provides one of the most pride-filled populations I've ever seen. Not only are the students filled with pride, the faculty, and the entire town of New Brunswick as a whole stands behinds Rutgers. Being that our football team has done quite well recently adds to the feeling of pride that you attend Rutgers University.

Rutgers is a BIG school, and not just in terms of student population. There are really four separate campuses, and you have to take a bus to each. Taking the bus is predictably lame since their usually crowded and some have to drive through the heart of route 18 traffic. The Busch and Livingston campuses are sort of on the New Brunswick outskirts in a town called Piscataway. The Cook/Douglass Campus is technically part of New Brunswick, but also has some farm land to give it a more laid back feel. The College Ave. campus is really where it all goes down, and it's pretty much the heart of Rutgers. Each campus has dorms and academic buildings, but College Ave. is home to most of the really important administrative stuff--but most importantly, the bars, house parties, and restaurants are all within walking distance. New Brunswick itself is actually pretty sweet. I here a lot of people talk about how ghetto it is, but it's improved big time in the past ten years or so. There's the occasional mugging off-campus but otherwise I'd say it's pretty safe. There are tons of bars and pizza places that are open ridiculously late. Plus, there's always Grease Trucks, which is a collection of trailers that serve up "fat sandwiches." Basically, they pile anything (cheesesteak, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, fries, etc) all onto a bun. It's cool at first, but the novelty wore off after a semester or so.

Not that this is news to anyone, but Rutgers is an extremely large school. Coming from a small high school I thought it would be a nice change of pace to attend classes in large lecture halls. What I didn't take into consideration was the minimal amount of contact I'd have with my professors and the impact that would have on my studies. Most professors will tell you that they encourage their students to ask questions during lecture but it really doesn't flesh out. For classes that don't have recitation periods you may find yourself looking for outside tutoring if you need extra help. New Brunswick is a haven for filth and depravity...and that's not a bad thing. Being drunk on the streets of New Brunswick at 2 am on a friday night is an experience you can take with you for the rest of your life. You'll meet strange characters, be invited into dark exciting places, and probably eat a horrifyingly greasy sandwich. School pride was minimal at best until the RU football team beat Louisville two years ago. Now they are putting millions into building a new stadium and selling more RU sweatshirts then they ever have. As far as frequent complaints go, there is one that must stand above the rest. To even mention another minor annoyance would belittle the intensity with which every RU commuter despises the parking administration. There will never be anywhere to park. And just when you think you've found something in the corner of east-bumblefuck and you've assessed the literature provided to come to the conclusion that this is indeed a viable bone-fide parking space, you will return to your car only to find a red envelope stashed tenderly between the wiper blade and your windshield.

The big picture of Rutgers is just that, a BIG picture. The school is huge, both enrollment size and campus-wise. Forget walking from one end of campus to the other, unless you have an hour (probably more, never actually did it) to spare. Rutgers entire campus spans several towns. The drive takes (according to google maps) 11 minutes. If anyone has ever been to New Brunswick, you know that is not nearly true. Driving from Cook Campus to Bush Campus requires a shot down either the horrendous Route 18 or the treacherous back roads that probably have an equal amount of traffic. Rutgers has a very different reputation out of the area than in the area. If you are from the tri-state area, Rutgers is pretty much a joke. If you are from anywhere else Rutgers is thought to be almost like an Ivy League school. New Brunswick is NOT a college town. Yes, there are lots of college kids. Yes, they get pumped for football games (now that they are good). But if you go anywhere off of the main drag, watch out. George Street and Easton Avenue are where the bars and restaurants are. If you venture outside of the immediate area, I hope you know Spanish and aren't alone. Even parts of George Street are not fun to be at night. Homeless people roam the streets begging for change and people are frequently mugged. Recently, controversy has been sparked over the decision to allow expansion of the Rutgers football stadium. The budget has been slashed repeatedly over the past few years, including a multi-million dollar cut that forced the university to disband several NCAA sports teams. School pride is very bandwagon related. My freshman year saw very little enthusiasm within Rutgers. There were your typical die-hard Rutgers fans, but for the most part no one cared about caring for Rutgers. It was just a shcool. Ever since last year it is completely different. There are billboards reading "Global reach. Jersey Roots." Sports teams are making national news and everyone knows Tony Soprano went to Rutgers. That being said, if the football team goes 5-7 next year and the women's basketball team craps out early in the tournament, we will see how long that pride lasts.

Many students feel that athletics are the best feature of Rutgers, but I find the large number of diverse courses to be the best part. I transferred from a very small college with few majors. If I could, I would make transferring to Rutgers much easier because it was torture for me. I had to go to every department that I took a course in to find an equivalence. I think the school could be slightly smaller. I have classes of 250 students and classes of 15 students and I learn much more information in the classes with 15 students. Plus, I have more of an incentive to attend class. People usually smile and ask me if I know their friend when I mention Rutgers. I spend most of my time in the SCILS building and hanging out with friends in the Newell Apartments. I would agree with the term "college town" after interviewing Bill Bray and finding that the financial status of New Brunswick depends on students. I find it unusual that Miller Hall was once a funeral center.

Carson

The people probably qualify as the best thing about the school. I wouldn't change an absolute thing. Getting screwed over by Rutgers makes the day seemingly more exciting. The school is obviously far too large, and far too crowded, but once again, it makes the day worth going through. Most question whether or not I have an STD when they find out I go to Rutgers. I say no. Just incase if you were wondering. I overall greatly appreciate the Rutgers administration because they frequently try to save me from the RUScrew, and often suggest dropping out. I've often taken their suggestions seriously. The biggest controversy must have been the whole Imus-nappy-headed-hoes-situation. Oh, gosh. School pride is at it's highest during football games, I must say. Especially when we play #2 teams, like South Florida. Then, especially when we beat them. The buses are either good to you or bad to you. I wish there were more. That could qualify as another RUScrew.

Overall, Rutgers is a pretty decent University. I feel that I have a decent amount of fun here and that I'm getting an enriching education. However, thats not to say that I wouldn't change several things about the school. In high school, when i first told my fellow graduating class mates that I was going to be attending Rutgers, it was kind of frowned upon to a certain extent. "Oh, so you're staying home for the most part? Not going/doing anything exciting for the next four years?" was the most common response I would receive when telling friends that I was, in fact, staying in Jersey for my college career. However, i have found that what lacks in adventure category has certainly been made up in the convenience one. The NJ transit ride to get too and from school and home is a mere 12 minutes, making it very easy for me to rush home if I have a need for any supplies, rent checks, or emergency family issues. But all proximity qualms and compliments aside, the school still has a few issues which have never sit well with me. The school is too big. It's not that there are too many students, but that it is literally and physically too large. The five plus campuses that make up Rutgers University are too spread out amongst the towns of New Brunswick and Piscataway. The school has a very divided sense and lack of unity considering the only thing that really connects its give campuses is the highway of route 18. This almost gives the university a Disney World type feel, reminding us that the path from MGM to Epicot is not too different from the path to Busch Campus from College Avenue Campus. Considering this division, it makes the school have a much larger feel. If you meet someone on Busch Campus and you live on Livingston, it is possible you will never bump into or see them again. The amount of people is a good thing, but everyone being separate is not.