Newark, NJ
Rutgers University-Newark

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rutgers University-Newark

Karan

My school has an amazing biology department which works to make biology interesting for everyone.

Rutgers-Newark is best known for the campus diversity. About three in every four people here come from a different ethnical background. Meeting people from different backgrounds has given me an edge because I feel I have received insight that I would not have been able to gain elsewhere. My school produces students that are well-equipped for global competition due to the diversity of people and therefore diversity of thought that is found on campus.

If I was allowed to go back in time to address one issue normal college students face, I would give myself the following advice: the people you meet will have differing views and you should be organized in the way you argue since you will be involved in debates with people who argue well and people who argue in a fallacious manner. Over the course of my two semesters here at Rutgers University, I have met many people with different views. These differences occasionally fuel debate. The debates that ensued posed challenges for me as a person and a debater. Learning new information and being able to discuss an issue to hear all the views on the topic is something you will appreciate. The downside to the discussions is that sometimes you will argue with people that are very circular in their reasoning. You will need to have patience and understand that some arguments are not worth it. You will need to be prepared to disagree on certain issues to maintain civility. Finally, being able to debate will expand your overall knowledge so keep up with current events so that the discussions you engage in will enlighten you.

Albert

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, my past self would probably be amazed by how handsome and mature he looks in the future. I would tell my younger self to prioritize college research and applications as well as doing one's best on the standardized tests. He should be more confident and assertive of getting things done and not rely on parents too much. When things go awry, he should shrug it off and make the best out of the situation and strive to achieve more, learning from mistakes. When taking placement tests he should make the effort to review for them, more specifically the math placement test so he won't get placed in the same class he had/has in his senior year. If he does get placed in the same class, do not get discouraged for I didn't really learn it anyway. I'll tell me the mistakes I will make along the way so he could avoid them. Lastly I would tell me to do more inward thinking as to what I want to achieve in life and what do I want to accomplish and discover ourselves as an individual.

The dorms are above average in size. The campus is 20 min. from Manhattan. Parties are great. You'll never go hungry if you dorm. Student body is very diverse and lots of social interaction.

Most of the students are commuters. About 10-15% live on campus. Surrounding city is not as nice as NYC. Weekends are kind of boring.

Krista

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would go back and tell myself how hard life is after high school. I would also tell myself to better perpare myself for the outside world, because it is hard to function and make on your on. I would tell myself that it is best to appreciate the help that is given to you while your in high school, because after school your just on your own. You have no one to tell you how to fill out college appilcations, fasa's, or how to write scholarship essay's. So if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the most important thing that i would say is to just pay attention and accept all help that is offered to you.

Derek

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the next four years are going to be the most exciting, and memorable years of your life, so don't waste a single moment of them. You will see and learn things that will change your whole perspective on life. These next four years will open your eyes to a whole new world. The only advice I could give my self would be that every ounce of responsibility you show during college will pay pounds of dividends later in life. So take advantage of everything the university has to offer you. Attend all of the optional seminars, utilize your guidance officers, let the career services office help you with your career, most importantly make sure you study early and often. Do not procrastinate. College life is very fun and can be very easy if you simply DO NOT PROCRASINATE. For every time you do, you cause yourself unneeded stress and anxiety. There is a simple equation that you will not learn in class but will help you graduate: Study First + Party Second = having fun at college and graduating too.

The diverse atmosphere is very educational. Working with students and professors from so many different backgrounds is a great way to learn and experience school and life is a way that really expands your mind.

The amazing access my school has to New York City and the atmosphere of living in a big city.

Laura

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would start with "remember your guidance counselor?" Be aggressive in making sure you can get all the help possible to get to school as comfortably as possible, passive indifference is not the way to go. Make friends with your teachers, ask for college advice, they've all been there! I regret not having been more aggressive in my math placements. Had I taken more science and upper level math courses, I'm sure I would have been much more comfortable in related study areas. Saving up as much money as possible is advice I needed as a school senior, I never assumed I would be scraping up whatever I can get from work to pay my tuition. My top advice would be, save money, read as much as you can, practice what you've learned whenever you can, wise study skills, and remembering to maintain a scholar's mentality . That meaning I'm not going to college to get a piece of paper that states I learned something but to have the confidence that I have become innovative through it.

Definitely the worst thing about my school is the parking. Getting to class on time sometimes becomes a hassle when there is absolutely no parking withing a 10 mile radius (exaggerated). The only way I've gotten around that is waking up at 6 to get there at 8 for a 1 PM class. Parking and workload are my top school annoyances.

What I brag about most when I tell my friends about school is the workload for chemistry majors. Not something I'm necessarily happy about, but I can definitely say I'm really working hard.

Ashley, Your grades really do matter. I know that you cant tell now, but if you dont care about your grades we wont be able to get into the good college we want to get into later on down the road. And please stop skipping classes because one day soon you really will need to know some of the stuff they teach you. Oh and college is great! you`ll love it. Its way better then highschool and alot less confusing once you are actually here. Talk to you soon!

Nnenna

The classes are pretty diverse and usually generally small in number which is comforting because you can have a one-one-one relationship most times with your professor. Classmates are usually friendly but you do have to be atleast slighty outgoing to get to know them. There are a lot group projects and exercises so you end up getting to know your classmates one way or another. Most people participate in class so you tend to know who is really a taker as well as their diverse views which is great and you can make new friends if your new.

I would tell myself to apply to more colleges and to be very considerate about how much financial aid I get and make the finances be a major part of my desicion. I was just focused on just going far and did not take time to figure out how I could pay for everything. If I could balance the campus life, high school rank, AND finances it would have being been perfect and I would have not had to transfer. I would also encourage myself to not be so afriad of transferring because it was a new beginning and I get a fresh start with a new gpa and I saved a lot of money. It's important to take everything into consideration and not to walk in blindly because everything does have to add up so that you can stress as less as possible and focus on academics and enjoy your college experience.

Although the campus life is lacking Rutgers Unviersity is a very well known school where you have connections and the Rutgers degree is looked upon highly so I expect that finding a job shouldn't be too difficult and if you love what you learn and major in you usually learn a lot about it. My major is sociology and I love my classes, the professors are excellent and down to earth.

Andrew

In this school you are encouraged to be yourself. Many of the professors (95%) have the highest degree possible in their field, so many professors have been teaching and researching at Rutgers-Newark for nearly years. Many of my professors are published authors in their respective fields. In fact, one of my professors has been teaching here since 1975, and has published 20 books and over 200 peer-reviewed journal articles. you can find that alot at our school.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself my senior year I would tell myself of all the fun times I would have, and how much going to college would make a difference in my life. My senior year I was up in the air about college, and if I went back, I would convince myself that all I need is a little motivation. I would let myself know that college is nothing like high school, and to not worry about not being able to get into a good school. I would convince myself to stay away from the large universities and to zone in on Rutgers-Newark. "Rutgers-Newark is perfect for you" I would tell myself. "They have one of the best Criminal Justice programs in the country there, and all the professors are really helpful." I would finish by just reminding myself to not wait so late to apply. "Applying in June is no fun."

Anyome who wants a very good education and actually wants to learn something out of college. Anyone can come to this school, because Rutgers-Newark is the most diverse campus in the country, representing nearly 50 different countries around the world as well as socio-economic diversity. This school is cheap for the amount of education you get out of it as well.

Schauna

Rutgers is well known for their football team, law school, medical school, and engineer school. Rutgers has great transportation to various places around an dnear the campus as well as a train station near the campus to New York.

I would inform myself about the process of applying to colleges and encourage applying early. I would suggest to look at colleges toward the end of my sophmore year and junior year to get an idea of various institutes. I would inform myself about the various waivers you could use for the SATs as well as up to five college applications. I would reccomend to apply online to most colleges, being as though it's mostly cheaper. I would stress the importance of applying to scholarships. I would provide myself with different scholarship websites as well as getting involved in the guidance counselor office to speak one on one with professionals who can guide me in the right direction. Being as though I went away my first year of college just to return to my home state, I would suggest that I consider on attending a community college for two years then transfer to a four year university in hopes of building a strong solid GPA and not waste any money as I did my first year. I would lastly stress the importance of getting onvolved with extracurricular activities and volunteer work before and during college.

Anyone and Everyone should attend Rutgers. It's one of the most diverse colleges in the United States. Rutgers is a very diverse place in terms of ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and just about everything else. Someone who is goal driven, and love to succeed should attend Rutgers.

Kameel

Something that is unique about my campus is the size of it. It is small compared to any other campus that Rutgers has as a whole, which works as a positive in terms of getting in touch with your professors and getting a better understanding of what is occuring in the classroom.

The advice that I would give to myself would be always account for variable change in regards to your grades. I may have been doing well during highschool but when once college came around, my studying habits had to change drastically. Also do not let anything or anyone get in the way of your hopes and dreams of being successful. Because anyhardship in college or highschool will pay off with hard work and determination.

I tend to tell them compared to the life on the new brunswick campus there is less parties that occure. Also compared to the new brunswick campus since Newark has a smaller campus it is easier to get to your classes in timely fassion. Also that the classes are smaller so you get a better relationship with your teacher.

Rutgers University-Newark administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.