Newark, NJ
Rutgers University-Newark

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rutgers University-Newark

Michael J.

I'd say take your time in choosing and/or deciding on a major. And start enhancing your time management and self-discipline skills. You'll sure need them for college and really for all of life!

I wish I had a better understanding of the area around the campus before attending school here.

Although Rutgers Newark is in a gentrifying and relatively safe area of the city...it is still Newark and there are reports of crime around and sometimes within the campus.

Brenda

The advice that I would give me if I could talk to myself as a high school senior would be to become fully involved in community service activities, internships, volunteering, and extra-curricular activities. Decididing your major, or career path is a complex process that requieres a lot of serious commitment. Therefore, participating in a diverse range of activities allow students to identify interest, passions, or hobbies that can help to make this process easier. Having a GPA, keeping up with good grades, and being a good student is important but devoting time to participate on other activities provide student with the skills neccesary. Working in a team, puntuality, integrity, and time management are skills that high school student are able to acquire from voluntering, interning, and serving. Having an idea of what you enjoy and dislike doing help to narrow your career path options. There is anything wrong with changing majors in college, but it has effect in the time, money, and effort to be spent. Thus, it is better to at least spend time doing activities related to what you would like to do, just to see if you enjoy doing while you are in high school.

The best thing about Rutgers University- Newark is its campus diversity. Rutgers- University is the most diverse university in the country. Having the opportunity to share and learn with students from all over the world allows students to appreaciate difference. Each student brings to the table personal experience, theoretical knowledge, and cultural diversity. Rutgers- Newark is a small campus that allows students and faculty to connect with each other.

I wish I had known before I came to Rutgers that commutting is actually really dificult. Spendind more than an hour every day just in commutting is complicated.

Roxana

The advice I would give myself is to know that everyday has its challenges but you learn to get through them. At first not so easy like getting through that first midterm or final, but after you succeed because you studied, you find it easier to move onto harder subjects. If going into a 4-year university, I wouldn't take all the easy classes first and hard last; I learned to balance out the classes so you can focus on some classes more than others in a semester, i.e. take an art history (elective) and a major class (biology). Research your major and see what options you have in your future career, i.e. aiming for the therapist job so are you willing to go for your masters? Some people find themselves in a job they didn't go to school for and what a waste that is. Or some people are doing the job but feel overqualified. Especially in this economy employers are no longer looking for that BA/BS, because the competition is more intense. They want to see Masters or higher and also relevant work/volunteer experience. Also get a job that is related.

I wish I had learned more about what the school offered/resources it has. I came across resume building and correcting on my last year. It helped me a lot not only with job-related information but also how you can incorporate your interships, community service, and college credit that is all related to your major. I found this resource when I attended a workshop for the Career Development Center. I know it sounds obvious but not many students used it because it was offered to Business/Finance majors. Sometimes the information that you need is in front of you.

Any person can attend this school. It is a very diverse school. It is not to far from Mahattan and also there are trains and buses that can take you to the school. The school also has parking garages buy a permit. I met many people that lived far away or close. Also this school is a big commuter school unlike its other campus in New Brunswick which is mostly for people who dorm.

Nancy

My school is best know for diversity. There is an abundance in diversity in cultural backgrounds which makes socializing both interesting and educational. Meeting people from other countries is a great experience and it is fun to hear their perspective on life and current events. My advice would be to meet as many people possible, which will broaden your awareness about the world and the variety of people that exist. Everyone has a story to tell.

The most important thing to realize as you enter college, is that you do not need to know right away what your major will be. Most people transitioning into college aren't too sure what they want to do for a career, and that is a common feeling. To me, college is where you are introduced to different fields of study, and within the first year you will find something that resonates with you. A person should always follow their passions, yet some don't get to realize them until their first two years in college. I recommend taking a diverse amount of courses such as natural science, history, art, and literature to get a feel of what is offered. My choice of a liberal arts major allowed me to explore different areas academically and I recommend this major to anyone who is not 100% sure yet what they want to do after college. This is a major decision a person must make, but a liberal arts major for the first year or two will definitely help guide you to your inner passion and will help you find what you are interested in most.

For me, the worst thing would be not enough class time options such as weekend classes or night classes for people who work and need certain classes such as chemistry of biology. In order to complete these requirements, personal sacrifices in a persons' work or home life need to be made to accomodate class times; however, these sacrifices are only temporary and very much worth it.

Jacob

From countries throughout the world, mostly india, middle east, and asia, most are fairly intelligent and most are motivated.

Prior to going to college, know what you want to do so you can set yourself up accordingly and put the research in to do so. For example, if you're going to be a business major, make sure, prior to attending Rutgers, attend a community college and take all the business classes there that will transfer toward your major. In addition, there's no point attending a larger, expensive school for all 4 years. Start at a community college, ease your way through college faster and cheaper, while taking classes that you've researched that'll transfer to the desired school. If you get good enough grades, and in community college you will, you will be all set up when it comes time to transfer. Dont lose hope and stay motivated. Class seems pointless at times but as long as you put in the work the good grades and rewards will show up.

Anyone looking to attend a school that is geared towards the students should go elsewhere, the classes, structure, and design of the program and websites, tools, and resources available are pretty bad. In addition, if you are attending for the parties and outside of school events and socializing, this isn't the place. If you are focused, wnat to land an internship or work for a large corporation, this is the place for you

Aladekemi

Rutgers University-Newark is best known for research. Prospective students who want a career in the science field as a researcher, or even in the psychology field, would have many opportunities to actually do research and eventually be published (as a student!).

Knowing what I know now, I would make sure that I tell my high school self to take school seriously. If I would have taken high school as seriously as I am taking college, I would only have one thing to worry about: my grades. Instead, because of my nonchalant behavior in high school, I now have to worry about getting kicked out of school because of lack of funds. If my high school self was not so interested in immediate gratification, I would be swimming in scholarship money right now and I might have had the opportunity to study abroad. The most important thing I would tell my high school self that my mother actually does know what she is talking about and everything that she told me, she already experienced.

A person who is not willing to do the work for the grades should not attend Rutgers University. All of the professors are pretty nice and are willing to help you with whatever you need, if you ask. Someone who expects good grades without producing the work, will not do well at Rutgers University-Newark.

Tasfia

When I was struggling with my academics and work in my first semester of college, I always wanted to go back in time and give myself some advice about the college life. If I could go back in time, first of all, I’ll tell myself to be more punctual than was then. It’s very important to have good time management skills in college in order to have a good academic career. Second of all, I would tell myself to set some goals for the first semester of college. For example, getting A’s in every subject, going to the gym every week, getting some volunteer hours done etc. These plans help a student in achieving his goals meritoriously. The last but not the least, I’d tell myself to be less scared about new college experience and to be more confident. Because anything can be done with a little bit of confidence and a little bit of faith in you.

Rutgers Newark is one of the most diverse school in United States. It's small school with a very diverse population. People who like diversity definitely should check out the campus.

If you want a big school then I don't think you'll like the Rutgers Newark campus. The Newark campus is smaller compare to the New Brunswick one. Other than that everything is fine.

Danielle

I would love to be able to go back and start over from high school as far as my schooling goes. The transition from high school to college was one of the hardest things for me personally. I took many college level classes in high school only to find out they are nothing like real college courses. It is a big adjument when you are in a classroom with a teacher five days a week constantly telling you what to do and reminding you of assignments, then all of a sudden you are to only go to class a couple times a week and are to depend on a syllabus for instructions. While you may have a teacher they try to teach you to not be so dependent on them. Not to mention online classes where you have very little interaction and reminders other than the occassional email. It took a while but I got the hang of the college classes and am now furthering my education.

Maisha

Dear High school senior self, use this last year as a practice exam to work and study at your full potential. Be determined to develop the best study habits you can , which will ensure a smooth transition into college life. You only have one more shot at pulling up your GPA to get into the college of choice. Take the focus off getting a job and try instead, to win a spot on the college basketball team. The skills of being a teammate and working with others will prove to be invaluable to you later in life where interpersonal skills will seem to be a commodity in the working world. Take lots of pictures this year of you , your peers, and teachers. you may not see them again and it's nice to be able to look back at those pictures with a since of pride. You never know who will become famous in those pictures. Lastly, develop good cleaning habits as it pertains to your room. You may be living in a shared space for atleast two years after high school. No one wants a junky roomate. Do this for twenty one days and it will become a habit.

I didn't like the location of the school. It's located in the inner city, I did not stay on campus, i commuted and toook public transportation so you had to go off grounds tin order to access public transportation. I am told that this has changed and the school now has shuttles to take students and staff too and from campus. This would be the only thing I did not like about the school. Besides this, I had a wonderful experience, great freinds and most of the professors were great as well. I would definitely recommend this school.

Anyone can attend this school. However, Rutgers Newark is especially known as a cummuter school. In addition to this, I bleieve Rutgers neark, school of business is one of the best and is well known for it's school of Business.

Rutgers University-Newark administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.