Rutgers University-Newark

« See more reviews of Rutgers University-Newark

For any graduating students heading off to college, choosing the right college may pose a difficulty. However with the right resources and advocates, this task becomes simple. Our course, the college should provide a great academic environment and contain the major of choice for each student. For parents who are worried about students leaving home to dorm on campus, safety, fair financial pricing, and a healthy meal plan should be considered. Students should also research extracurricular activities at this school that would possible engage in, such as an ethnic club, a sports team, or a musical group. Students should also attend college orientations to get a feel of the school's environment and possible create new friendships along the way. Overall, students that are coming into college for the first time should come onto campus with an open mind to the new experiences that one may face. Yes, getting As in college courses and graduating on time may be one's mindset, but students shouldn't forget to enjoy themselves while in the process. College gives a student the opportunity to make life-long friends, enjoy time in extracurricular activities, and opens the door for future careers after college.

In Rutgers University, I completed bachelor of arts majoring in mathematics, and I completed urban education program. There I extend my knowledge in mathematics, and I got prepared to teach math in secondary school. II got teaching certificate from New Jersey by compliting urban education program. Because the competition to teach now is huge, I did not get a teaching job in public schools. Anyway, I starting tutoring geometry, SAT in math section, algenra I, II, and precalculus. Tutoriing job gives me an opportunity to be in touch with my occupation and hopefully to get a teaching job soon. In many states, there is necessary to have a master degree in order to teach. In New Jersey is not the case, but teaching candidates with master have better opportunities for teaching job in secondary schools. So, I applied in Western Governor University in Utah to persue master degree in teaching mathematics from 5-12 grades. I hope, I am going to get the way in compliting master degree, too. I deeply believe Rutgers University prepared me to pas challanges in teaching and learning. Now I hope a scholarship will help me make my dream come true by getting master degree.

The advice that I would give me if I could talk to myself as a high school senior would be to become fully involved in community service activities, internships, volunteering, and extra-curricular activities. Decididing your major, or career path is a complex process that requieres a lot of serious commitment. Therefore, participating in a diverse range of activities allow students to identify interest, passions, or hobbies that can help to make this process easier. Having a GPA, keeping up with good grades, and being a good student is important but devoting time to participate on other activities provide student with the skills neccesary. Working in a team, puntuality, integrity, and time management are skills that high school student are able to acquire from voluntering, interning, and serving. Having an idea of what you enjoy and dislike doing help to narrow your career path options. There is anything wrong with changing majors in college, but it has effect in the time, money, and effort to be spent. Thus, it is better to at least spend time doing activities related to what you would like to do, just to see if you enjoy doing while you are in high school.

I would tell parents and students to definatley do their research on what college they really want to attend. Every college offers different things. Some colleges have better Business, Engineering, or Nursing programs than others. Students should go to their orientation dates so they can actually get a feel of the campus and what it has to offer. Also, actually meeting with a counselor to talk about their goals and aspirations can help them choose where they actially want to go. Students should make the most of their college experience by actually getting involved with on campus activities. Colleges have many clubs and organizations to join. By joinging these organizations they have the ability to meet new people and make new friends as well as give back to the community by participating in community services. I would also recommend to dorm at least one year of their college years, especially freshman year because I enjoyed it so much. You get to meet new people and actually have new responsiblities, which help you grow as a person. You would not get these opportunities in any other places other than college.

If I was allowed to go back in time to address one issue normal college students face, I would give myself the following advice: the people you meet will have differing views and you should be organized in the way you argue since you will be involved in debates with people who argue well and people who argue in a fallacious manner. Over the course of my two semesters here at Rutgers University, I have met many people with different views. These differences occasionally fuel debate. The debates that ensued posed challenges for me as a person and a debater. Learning new information and being able to discuss an issue to hear all the views on the topic is something you will appreciate. The downside to the discussions is that sometimes you will argue with people that are very circular in their reasoning. You will need to have patience and understand that some arguments are not worth it. You will need to be prepared to disagree on certain issues to maintain civility. Finally, being able to debate will expand your overall knowledge so keep up with current events so that the discussions you engage in will enlighten you.

As a high school senior, I acted out against my fellow classmates, and a few teachers, because I wanted to believe that they were inferior. If I were able to go back in time and give myself advice, I would have one all-encompassing suggestion: to not undervalue my self-worth. As a teenager, I doubted my intelligence, so I didn’t prioritize earning good grades. I requested to be placed in a special education-like program, and essentially coasted through my junior and senior years. Needless to say, some of my new classmates weren’t particularly studious either. During high school, many of these “friends” engaged in various activities that could have, and already have for some, come back to haunt them. Perhaps it was the fact that I was aware that I was capable of much more that took the biggest toll on my self-esteem. If I could go back, I would encourage “high school senior Mark” to stop feeling sorry for himself and that everything else would fall into place. Fortunately, two years after graduation, that same student would go on to be named among the top community college scholars in the state of New Jersey.

My best advice for students and parents about finding the right college is to take a campus visit. There is nothing comparable to actually seeing for yourself what the campus is like and what resources the University has to offer. Once you feel that a college "fits", go for it! I initially felt at home when I first stepped foot on the campus at Rutgers Newark and to this day, as a Junior, I still feel this way. To make the most of your college experience I also definitely advise students to dorm, at least their first year. It's a wonderful and memorable experience. Your first year will most likely be your best year so take advantage of living on campus and meeting new people! College life should not need to feel stressful all the time. Starting college means leaving high school drama or bad experiences behind and starting off with a new clean slate. Take advantage of all the school's resources. The tutoring services, free health clinic visits, career fairs, cultural events are all free and there especially for you! Get your money's worth by doing everything you can to make your college years unforgettable!

Make sure you start looking for the right college early in high school. there are so many different atmospheres and college settings, that it is never too early to look for what is right for yourself. College offers you an opportunity to build on everything you learned from kindergarten through your senior year of high school, make sure you choose a college that allows you to push yourself to your limits and learn new and interesting things that will allow you to be successful in the "real world." You need to find the right balance both in your college life and in the atmosphere at your college. Sure college is supposed to be about expanding your knowledge and building a foundation for a secure and successful future, but at the same time you need to make friends and build relationships that will allow you to feel complete after you have finished college. Lastly, be yourself and learn from others, college is where you meet new people and are exposed to new things, don't let these aspects of college change you, but allow yourself to become more exposed to such differnces to better yourself as a whole.

I would inform myself about the process of applying to colleges and encourage applying early. I would suggest to look at colleges toward the end of my sophmore year and junior year to get an idea of various institutes. I would inform myself about the various waivers you could use for the SATs as well as up to five college applications. I would reccomend to apply online to most colleges, being as though it's mostly cheaper. I would stress the importance of applying to scholarships. I would provide myself with different scholarship websites as well as getting involved in the guidance counselor office to speak one on one with professionals who can guide me in the right direction. Being as though I went away my first year of college just to return to my home state, I would suggest that I consider on attending a community college for two years then transfer to a four year university in hopes of building a strong solid GPA and not waste any money as I did my first year. I would lastly stress the importance of getting onvolved with extracurricular activities and volunteer work before and during college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the next four years are going to be the most exciting, and memorable years of your life, so don't waste a single moment of them. You will see and learn things that will change your whole perspective on life. These next four years will open your eyes to a whole new world. The only advice I could give my self would be that every ounce of responsibility you show during college will pay pounds of dividends later in life. So take advantage of everything the university has to offer you. Attend all of the optional seminars, utilize your guidance officers, let the career services office help you with your career, most importantly make sure you study early and often. Do not procrastinate. College life is very fun and can be very easy if you simply DO NOT PROCRASINATE. For every time you do, you cause yourself unneeded stress and anxiety. There is a simple equation that you will not learn in class but will help you graduate: Study First + Party Second = having fun at college and graduating too.