Rutgers University-Newark Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rutgers University-Newark

Eugenia

I believe Rutgers - Newark is a great school to attend because of its academic curriculum, its cultural diversity, the value it places on scientific research, its professionally renowned and celebrated faculty members, and its commitment to the community the University is housed in.

Puru

Good school.

Alysia

Rutgers Newark isn't that bad, but you definitely cannot come here and expect what I would call the "stereotypical college scene" like movies and really elite schools like Columbia, or even more city based schools let on. I usually walk by myself during the day, but because RU-Newark is a densely populated urban area it is always wise to bring people along, especially at night. Other than that the school does kind of have a high school feel to it because once you make friends you're either with them all the time or with their friends as well and the term backpack school goes for every college I guess because college students tend to do more on tuesdays and thursdays and head back home on the weekend or use the time to unwind from the week.

Meghan

I am proud to be a student at Rutgers University. As a full time dental hygiene student, the clinic facilities are extraordinary. It is as if we are working in private practice. The professors do everything possible to motivate you and help you. We are like one big family and I am so happy to be apart of it. My only wish is that we had a larger library or computer lab for study time. I live an hour away from school, so it is easier to stay and get work done on campus. I cannot wait to graduate and I know all of the knowledge I have gained thus far will help me land a great job.

Caleb

great

Laci

Rutgers Newark is a really good school. They have many opportunities to get involved both on and off campus. Especially for the Art related and Medical majors. It is also a really diverse campus so its nice to meet people from many different countries.

Venessa

Not a fan of the new policies that may become a requirement for all students. Not in a great location

Justinna

The academic at this school are good. Not much for a social scene because it is a commuter school but people who live on campus are involved and social. The dining hall on campus is definitely not something to write home about but there are a few restaurants in the area that are good.

Peter

Friendly, multicultural environment. Not too big of a campus makes easy for getting to class. Lots of food around and a very helpful community from the school across the street (NJIT) The area around is a bit dangerous but the campus has many security guards and rarely does anything wrong go on.

Tyeshia

A school that puts your perseverance and determination to the test

Nikkei

Rutgers University - Newark is much different from the New Brunswick campus. It's smaller but its much more easier to move from class to class unlike in NB where your life depends at mercy of the buses schedule. Newark is great if you're the solo workaholic type of person and allows for quick easy access to Manhattan if you're into the city. The campus safety is not as safe at night but then again this is applicable to all Rutgers campuses but its fairly okay during the day.

Maria

Rutgers University-Newark is versatile. You find your niche and it can be very eye-opening when the entire spectrum is laid out in an afternoon stroll. I love the fact that I can walk outside and see someone playing volleyball wearing only a speedo, but also wander into any building and sit through a seminar about food deserts in urban communities. It is more than simply obtaining a degree.

Javon

Rutgers is... a very interesting place. It's filled with great people, professors and a wide array of campus facilities and services to help students. But, Rutgers-Newark is quite small, and there really isn't very much to do here. Unless you join a club or work, There really isn't much to partake in at Rutgers. However, there is a wonderful athletic center to go to play sports with fellow Rutgers students, as well as internship and job opportunities to help prepare for life after college. For these reasons, I say that Rutgers-Newark is a really good college that many people should attend!

Courtney

You get the Rutgers degree, but with smaller class sizes because Newark is a much smaller campus. This allows for more opportunities, since you get to know the professors better. There’s also ample research positions because it is primarily a research campus. The professors are usually very engaged in our learning and encourage open discussions and hands-on activities. Unfortunately, the administration is the problem here. The “RU screw” is a common term for something going wrong with your student account, scheduling, etc and it mainly comes from people who work for the school, but have no idea what they are doing. Parking is always a nightmare and incredibly expensive. Public transportation is a good alternative if you live near a train station and you get either 20 %or 25% off monthly passes if you’re a student. The business school, law school and criminal justice school are top of the line and seem to get ALL of the funding.

N

Fantastic program with wonderfully supportive professors and talented peers. My only complaint is the lack of information on the real-world "business" side of writing. Your writing will get better and you might leave with some amazing pieces of work ready to shop out, but you won't have a clue as to how to do it, other than the same-old advice of "networking" and going to writing conferences, which, especially given their diverse student population and the goal of recruiting writers who also have "real lives" seems out-of-date and a bit exclusive.

Alicia

Rutgers is a school that allows students to explore many different opprotunities. It also give the comfort of a small campus with the benefits of a large campus. It is a little less "involved

Zainab

It is a great school.

Quiana

I think it’s a good school. The teachers are extremely helpful and they do their best to help students. Also there are a lot of activities that go on each week which is interesting and it gets students involved (even commuters) in campus life. Although there are improvements that need to be made , I believe Rutgers is an overall good school.

Angela

"It's not safe!" , "Be careful.", "Don't go there." These are the things I heard before applying to Rutgers Newark. However, after 3 years of living on campus and attending the University, I truly enjoy Rutgers Newark. I would not change my experience in any way shape or form. Like any college in a city, you have to be careful and you have to watch yourself. But, I do feel safe going to class as there are plenty of security and police presence throughout the day, and at night. The University offers shuttles to and from the train station and escorts for those who may feel unsafe coming onto campus. There are awesome places to eat and the campus is literally a 15 min train ride to NYC. The school is currently being gentrified and there has been a lot of new improvements and buildings being constructed. One con of this school is: you have to go out and look for resources. Things are not just given to you, you must explore and look for options and ways. Overall, I enjoy Rutgers Newark!

brittany

love it. First, my experience in college has given me a chance to sharpen my skills in my field of choice. There have been, and there will continue to be, many opportunities to learn more ways of improving my craft as a result of my time in school, which I am truly thankful for. For example, the Writing Center at my school has taught me many writing tips and rules that I was unaware even existed, and would still be unaware of had it not been a part of my experience. Because of this, I realized I still had a lot to learn despite what I thought; but this allows me to improve my skills more as I continue to attend school and also gives me more confidence in my area. And as a result, I know one day this valuable experience will help me in my search for another one-a rewarding career.

Valentina

Attending Rutgers university was one of the greatest and fascinating experience of my life. Let’s just applaud its cultural and ethnic diversity in the students as well as the staff diversity. A school should be more than just a place where bunch facts are thrown down student’s throats and expected to be irrefutably swallowed. Rutgers effortlessly seemed to have adapt this principle with its various interactive, fun and educational platform designed for various activities, social events and sports. It is quite easy to have a fulfilling social life in this institution since their multiples clubs promote students interaction as well a mean for study groups. In addition to having student willing to help you with your academic struggles, TA's and professors constantly try their best to help out the students outside of the classroom. In term of tuition, Rutgers is one of the cheapest universities around my area. It was financially convenient for me as the school buses were also a great reliability. Career development, undergraduate research, the language exchange program and much more didactic and diverting activities enrich the educational experience and prepare students for skills needed in the workforce. Its own massive study abroad and internship programs in multiple countries also serve in this readiness for the life after academic venture. I am truly satisfied with the quality of education Rutgers offered and the numerous relationship I built with students as well as professors. Overall, attending Rutgers infallibly prepared me for my future.

Yuda

Rutgers-Newark is a very diverse university and I am very proud to say that I go to this establishment. Sometimes on the weekends it gets a little boring because a decent amount of people go home but all in all, there is usually something to do during the week and everyone here is very open -minded which is amazing.

Zacharie

I really like it. Plenty of nice people and really easy to make friends. Most professors are very good and care about their students. The library is the go-to place for studying and doing homework. So many people study in groups there. Also, there are so many inexpensive restaurants and food carts around the campus that you wont go broke on buying food. There is a game room for you to hang out when board. Also theres a gym, basketball courts, and soccer fields to play on. In general, I would not choose another university if I had the option to choose again. The only negative I find is that too many people dont push themselves to achieve As in all of their classes. Many are satisfied with just a B when they can achieve better if they put their mind to it. Otherwise Rutgers Newark is the place to go.

Katrina

I think they Have good services and resources for students. The students aré friendly and they Have activities available for students. Also they are varíety of programs To offer and some faculty can be helpful. The parties are okay in the college. I really like that they Have study abroad for students. I would be insterested in traveling and studying.

Rowan

Best college to attend. Nothing beats the diversity of this school. You meet so many people from so many backgrounds. Best college to attend. Nothing beats the diversity of this school. You meet so many people from so many backgrounds. Best college to attend. Nothing beats the diversity of this school. You meet so many people from so many backgrounds. Best college to attend. Nothing beats the diversity of this school. You meet so many people from so many backgrounds.

Leah

I enjoy beinga student here and meeting new people of different backgrounds. This university is one of the most diverse schools I have ever been too. To add, the professor are very invovled in there students academics and makinh sure they get the best education possible.

Manpreet

It’s a great school with world class education. Perfect for northern jersey students. more of a commuter college. Professors are great. same professor teach in New Brunswick. Small campus. Accessible thru Newark penn. 15 minutes away from the city. Great school!!!!

Sandra

The Student accounting and financial aid office are terrible and do not handle student issues in a professional manner. Scholarships from the school are far and few. There's no financial reward for students in the top 5% of their class.

Valeria

After attending Rutgers University-Newark, I have to say it is one of the safest and most friendly institutions. The school is so safe; I can leave my valuables unattended for let's say an hour and when I return my belongs are still there untouched. The students are incredibly open-minded and kind. You can have an intellectual or normal conversation with almost anyone, and no one will look at you differently because of your age or race. In other words, everyone is acceptive. The Professors are also great in their craft as their lectures are entertaining and there is a great deal of learning in every subject. When the weather is perfect, the quad is excellent for lounging around or sunbathing as there is a great deal of green grass and trees. There are some cons such as their food selection is weak. Mainly overpriced junk food with a salad bar. For a much better and diverse food selection, go to the nearby school, NJIT. Dormitories are small, cramped and overcrowded. So living on campus can be a struggle.

Mrittika

Rutgers Newark is a great school- great location and pretty amazing business school!! I'm a Business student so I can't speak for other majors, but it seems as though our business school and the rest of the campus are almost separate from each other(except Greek life and sports).

Ritu

It is the most diverse campus I’ve ever seen. There are people who always help. Once, I was lost and I wanted to go to financial aid office, I asked a girl and she didn’t even think once before helping me. She walked with me all the way to the financial aid office. The dorms are good, and of perfect size. Overall, RU-N is just perfect.

Tracey

I love Rutgers University Newark. Professors are caring, available, and on top of their game. I'm very happy that I have an opportunity to engage and network with Rutgers staff and they let me know that I matter, my academic performance matters, and they want me to succeed. I appreciate what Rutgers is doing for me and I value my education and this opportunity to grow as an individual in a community that speaks to populations in need of services. I think the social work program is designed for success.

Adegoke

Rutgers University- Newark is a very diverse campus, one of the most diverse campuses in America. However, due to students tending to form cliques on the border of racial and cultural lines, there is very limited interactions amongst the very diverse group of students. Rutgers University- Newark is also vastly a commuter school, so while campus lives thrives during the week, it tends to die down by the weekend for those who live on-campus.

Susan

I think it is a great school. It is diverse and you get to meet new people every day. People are welcoming and learning is fun with the right professors. On-campus housing is fun and a great experience if given the chance definitely take it. The activities hosted by the school are always fun and interactive. Students seem to always be engaged in and out of classrooms with the school community.

Jolaade

Rutgers is the best school if you want something intimate. Also if you are intimidated by a big school and people then Rutgers Newark is the school for you. It does not mean you won't have fun because the school is small, but it just makes things more inclusive. The only thing that was terrible is the food. It is terrible and the cooks have no idea what they are doing. Only Sheldon he is the best cook and I look forward to what he cooks.

Adriana

Rutgers University Newark is a very diverse University that provides many outlets of feeling apart of something bigger than the students and bigger than the school. Everyone is like a community of great minds with solutions for the future. We elevate as a university ass one.

Alicia

Overall, some people may look at Rutgers University-Newak and assume that it is just a "decent campus". That is completely false. Rutgers University-Newark has granted me the opportunity to meet some truly fascinating people that push me academically, mentally, as well as spiritually. The professors also push you you think about the difficult issues that palgue our world. I am grateful to attend Rutgers and I know without a shadow of doubt I will be given all of the tools and resources needed in order to demonstrate lasting and effective change in the world aroun

Yamile

It is a competitive university that is always looking to grow not only in academics but also in community life for students. Rutgers University-Newark has a lot of opportunities for students from every race and culture and is a very diverse school. Very good choice to succeed in life from the educational, cultural and personal aspect.

Emely

Overall, Rutgers-Newark is a good school. As a commuter I just go attend my classes and then leave. It s more of a commuter school than anything. Not a lot around, campus is literally about to blocks big, during free periods students just go to the library or go have lunch. Teachers give their lectures, then leave. Overall, good school.

Favor

Rutgers Newark is a very preeminent University in New Jersey, It is a place where dreams come true and produce world best Graduates. The environment It provides to the students is very peaceful and beautiful and It facilities are of a very good standard.

Brianna

Great academics. Great students. Great environment!

Secelia

Rutgers Newark is a small campus but EXTREMELY friendly. There is always something to do on campus and people to meet. I love it here. The professors course work can be difficult but enriching and you work hard for your grades here. In terms of financial aid Rutgers Newark Campus is more willing to provide Aid.

Rutgers University- Newark is my home away from home. Everyone on and off campus are always willing to help you succeed, are great motivators and are genuinely kind people. No one is ever told or forced to do something they do not want to do. Rutgers University- Newark has great connections for students wanting to go into the medical field (New Jersey Medical School, The Rutgers Dental School, etc). I truly enjoy attending class everyday while at Rutgers because I know I will succeed and be successful in my future thanks to the preparation that Rutgers University- Newark is giving me.

Joshua

It is neat. Professors in liberal arts and English fields are top notch, cream of the crop. Politically saturated left campus. If conservative one may experience biases against them, socially, but almost never academically. Thirsty Thursdays are huge, with people partying like its 1999. On- Campus housing is very nice, and the RA's are amazing most of the time. The food is not as amazing though. Overall in an academic sense, this school is amazing, with professors that will go out of their way to help students and see them succeed. I rate it 7.2/10.

Danaiza

Rutgers University provides many services that make it easy to navigate the campus, enjoy recreational activities, and help the students whenever there is an issue. They give us credit for food, and for books. The atmosphere at Rutgers is comfortable and enjoyable.

Sara

very old. It's sad to see that a high ranked university is so unkept and old. The classrooms are nowhere near modern, with the desks being tiny and the chairs being uncomfortable. The fact that a lower ranked university, NJIT, which is just up a hill is so much more modern, new and kept is very frustrating. In Rutgers-Newark, one of the biggest issues is looking for a place just to study or eat and talk to friends. In NJIT, you can find a place to do those things with ease, and when you do it's very aesthetically pleasing, whereas in Rutgers, my friends and I have been forced to sneak into empty classrooms just to find somewhere to sit.

Skylin

Rutgers University-Newark is located in the downtown area of Newark, New Jersey, near Pennslyvania Station. Overall the downtown area is a great place to be, but there tends to be a lot of traffic during certain times of the day. Off-campus there are things such as the New Jersey Performing Arts Center and Branch Brook Park's skating rink. In Newark, there isn't much to do, so you will usually hear about students going to New York. On-campus there are always events going on. A good tip would be to follow the program board's Instagram account to keep up with the events. Students are very active in the community and are always open to making new friends. If you are not staying in dorms, you must put yourself out there because nine times out of ten, everyone will know each other either from dorms, organizations on campus, or previous schools. The professors are always willing to help you as long as you do your part in the process. If you need help, the tutoring center and writing center is almost always open.

Kevin

I do not like Rutgers University-Newark one bit. I am currently a sophomore, and am applying to transfer in order to get out of here as soon as possible. the campus is awful, from the location in Newark to the dingy, filthy looking buildings, the Newark campus screams the word "ghetto." Furthermore, athletics are not highly emphasized, seeing as it is a Division III school. During my past 2 years here, I have also found that the lethargy of the students is matched by none other than the teachers, and nobody seems to be too happy to be here. Perhaps this is a good choice as a safety school for some, but I would never recommend it as a top choice; this school is below par and I would advise you to perhaps try out the much more highly acclaimed New Brunswick campus. Lastly, this school has been a tremendous burden on my family financially as well. We've had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket due to high tuition costs along with a financial aid office filled with employees that seem like they hate their jobs. Overall, the energy at this school was awful, and I cannot wait to get out of here.

Sabrina

I have lived on-campus at Rutgers University-Newark for a couple of months but it has quickly become like home. Because this is one of the most diverse campuses in the state, I have no trouble fitting in. Being a minority woman I had always struggled with fitting in especially in places like college. There are so many people that come from everywhere and you start to wonder if you are the odd one out. Being at Rutgers, there is no place that makes me uncomfortable I could walk around on campus without worrying that I look like a fool. I already come from an urban area and I was very hesitant that I would feel comfortable in a new setting, however, this is the perfect place to be. Even the professors make me very comfortable. There is something about being in Newark which sets the tone for the campus. They are not afraid to show their minority pride. The school has many clubs and opportunities for students to get involved. I myself personally have got involved with the on-campus pantry which helps students to get groceries for free. This campus is all for inclusion and it is nothing but love and support all around. I don't think I could even comfortably visit another campus because of the fact that Rutgers Newark has everything. I also think even after my Bachelor's degree, I would want to get my Master's degree from Newark as well which is what I plan to do.

kevin

Great school, happy I have chosen it, because quiet frankly I don’t know what would’ve been a better school for me! In addition, there programs and curriculums are very well rounded, and even though the newark campus is smaller than the new brunswick i feel more comfortable at the newark and I feel closer with the community