Saginaw Valley State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Saginaw Valley State University

Autumn

This school is exactly what I was looking for. It's small, with small class sizes which allow you to really engage in the class and not feel nervous about interacting. The professors have been very easy to learn from and get the most out of their teaching style. I feel safe walking around and there are many things to do in your spare time. It's a clean space and the facilities are exactly what I wanted out of my college experience.

Kaitlynn

Saginaw Valley State University is a diverse school with lots of ways for students to become involved and make new friends. There are clubs for everyone, from Dumbledore's Army for the Harry Potter fans to sororities and fraternities to meet lifelong friends. There is so much to do on campus, whether it be seeing a movie with Valley Nights, hanging out in the Student Life Center, or hanging out with friends at the Marketplace at Doan.

Celest

I think that Saginaw valley is an awesome school. The professors care about the students and are willing to help them whenever the students are struggling with a subject. Overall, the campus is a safe place to be. It is also easy to meet new people and interact with activities that are offered on campus. I love the fact that everything is accessible to students such as dining and convenient stores. I would definitely recommend Saginaw valley to anyone who is looking to attend a great college.

Brady

Originally SVSU was my second option, my original choice was CMU, but after a few months at SVSU my freshman year I was very glad that I chose to go there. My dorm was nice and roomy, and it was right in the middle of campus near everything. My professors were all nice, and really cared about our education. One professor stayed behind after every class to help one of my fellow students figure her life out. Everyone in the Theatre department, that I am a part of, were welcoming and overall friendly, and the professors for my major cared about my growth as a person and as an actor. My second year was even better, I moved to a slightly better dorm with some friends from my department. I grew even more as an actor and as a person, and got to be in two Main-stage shows as a leading character. The on-campus restaurants are all easily accessible, and all clean. There are often events going on all around campus, and they have regular movies every weekend of movies that were just in theaters a few months before. Overall even though SVSU was my second choice, I'm very glad that it was my choice.

Brianna

I LOVE SVSU! I am so proud to be a Cardinal. Everyone sticks together and is there to help whenever you need it. The staff is always happy to be there and provide top quality education. The food is amazing and so is the overall campus. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here! Go Cardinals!

Jacklyn

Saginaw Valley State University is a great University that provides plenty of opportunities for students. Saginaw Valley's campus isn't overly huge making it much easier for students to adjust, and class sizes are usually no more than 35 students which makes it easier for a student to get help during class. Another awesome thing about the University is that you see a lot of people that you know around campus, and it helps contribute to the overall feeling of home.

Aaryn

I just finished my freshman year, and now that I am home, I just want to go back! SVSU has made a huge impact on me, it showed me how much I​ can grow, and has some amazing opportunities, I like to think of SVSU as Michigan's best kept secret. I came from the West side of the state, so I was nervous about moving to the Urban part of the state, just to find out its pretty rural around SVSU. You have a city less than 2 miles away, but around campus is mostly just beautiful farm land. I love SVSU and am very proud to call myself a cardinal!

Alizabeth

I would say that Saginaw Valley State University is a great school for everyone to go to. There are plenty of groups, clubs, and events to participate in, and most of the people that go to the school are very helpful and friendly. Every Thursday and Friday night there is an activity called "Valley Nights" where they play a movie for all of the students who would like to come. The movie is almost always a newer one that has just come out of theaters, for example, last week they played the 2017 version of it. They also have events going on during the week before exams, they refer to this week as "Relaxation Week". During the week, they brought in dogs, cats and had many Christmas events happening. On the Thursday of relaxation week, they played "Elf" for the movie and had a hot cocoa bar that was open to all students. The overall class experience is also great, the class size is usually smaller so that every student can have a chance to talk to the professor when they are available, with that, the professors always have office hours that students can come to, or they can schedule an appointment to talk with the professor. In conclusion, I would say that Saginaw Valley is a school for everyone.

Kaleb

Saginaw Valley State University is an amazing place to grow and to learn. It has amazing on campus living facilities and the food isn't half bad either. They have a great weight room and it is really easy to get involved with anything on campus like club sports, Greek life, leadership clubs, anything! When I got to SVSU I did not know fully what I wanted to do and I felt like I did not want to get involved but the school opened my eyes and now I'm in the Pre- Physical Therapy Club, a fraternity and I am the Vice-President of the Club Lacrosse Team. I feel blessed to be a student here and I am positive others feel the same way.

Tristian

Very friendly school, easy to get around, staff is very helpful and prompt. SVSU offers everything I need.

Sabrina

I think it is a very good school. They offer programs to try to get students involved and opportunities to meet other students. The campus is a clean safe campus, with plenty of space to add facilities as necessary. The fitness classes and space they provide is great for students who want to use them

Harley

I enjoy being an SVSU student. There is always something going on, like Pinterest every Tuesday. The campus is safe and security is pretty good, the campus police are so nice and available. The apartments I am in, MJB, and are nice and if anything goes wrong, you just fill out a report and it is fixed within a day or two. I live in a two-person room, with six people in the house total, and we sleep in bunk beds but you get your own desk and dresser. Plus you get pretty close to whoever you are with, which is nice. The food in the Marketplace is overly complicated sometimes but there is always something to eat, like pizza or a burger. They also have really nice desserts and they have juice to drink along with pop, coffee, hot chocolate, and milk. Pretty much all of the buildings are connected so you don't have to stay in the cold for too long. Overall this is a nice place to be.

Shyann

Saginaw Valley State University is a great school. I have transferred from in HBCU ( Historically Black College/ University)and although the school could have a little more diversity it does its best. Students and organizations have done an excellent job making sure everyone is involved. One thing I do wish to improve academically is the math department. Many students,alumni, and even myself have agreed that the math department is not so great and we would like to see improvements.

Nyah

Saginaw Valley State University is a wonderful college to pursue, as I have made the decision to apply in the near future. I believe the campus life and the academic porospects of this college are fit for me and many students with varying characteristics. This college is a great and very involved place to be. Everyone is treated equal and there are many things to do to be actively involved within the campus wether your live on or off campus. It is very close to the city so it will appeal to many students that may choose to attend this college. Overall this college is a great pick for me and for many others that choose to pursue this college as well.

Breeanna

Saginaw Valley State University is a very great school. Actually, I would describe it as outstanding. It is a safe campus with good food. The housing has been ranked within the top 5 in the state too! Also, the professors are very kind and will help you along with your classes. I highly recommend Saginaw Valley State University!

Cameron

The college is great. It has many wonderful opportunities and great academic programs available, so there is a variety of choices. I also enjoy the calm safe atmosphere and the fun activities held on campus to keep students engaged. The best thing is the convienient housing and food service.

Wendy

My personal opinion of Saginaw Valley State University is that, I love coming to class, all my classmates and professors make me feel welcomed. The environment around campus is very family like, everyone helps and is there for everyone else. We used the drywall from the construction for a campus message board and art wall.

Maysa

It is a small school with a few opportunities but great on-cam pus life. It's the type of school you go to if you want the college life, but almost at a community college level. Because class sizes are small, everybody eventually gets to know everyone. Many professors take time to get to know each student personally to find out their learning needs. Overall it is a good school to attend for a first college feel, if you intend tpo transfer to a larger college.

Kirsten

A great school overall, the dorms are great (depending on which ones you choose), the food is pretty good, and there are plenty of opportunities to become involved on campus. there are office hours that all professors set so students can get a hold of them as well. Overall, the school gives a lot of options for students to succeed, if they choose to use them.

Kendal

I love SVSU for my education and I am currently looking at more ways to get involved which is a big step for myself. However, SVSU is a great place for the most part and enjoy my time at school in class and out side of class.

Rhiannon

Overall, I love Saginaw Valley State University. The atmosphere is very home-y and comfortable, and everyone is very friendly. I have never run into anybody on campus who was not willing to help me figure out where to go or give me advice. Although I have run into a couple of professors that I did not like and had a hard time with, I do not think that should reflect on the whole school. At the end of each class you do an evaluation of the class and professor so the Dean of each college can see how students are feeling, so I think that makes up for it. Even though I am only a second year here at SVSU, I have already made friends in my department that I know I will have for a very long time. Although I am a commuter and I do not live on campus, I have not felt excluded from events or organizations around campus at all. My department is like a little family of encouragement, which makes me love coming to school. The smaller campus feel makes me feel very comfortable and allows me to take advantage of educational opportunities. Since class sizes are smaller, I always feel like I am getting the attention I need from each professor. The campus is gorgeous and easy to navigate. Saginaw Valley State University is a college I would highly recommend.

I believe that Saginaw Valley State University is a great college to consider attending. I love that there is only about 10,000 students that go here, so it's easy to find a familiar face when walking around campus. Since it's a smaller school, it's also easy to access and talk to professors when needed. The campus is not as big as other Michigan colleges and I like that my longest walk is only 15 minutes. It's nice not having to rush to class since everything is close by. The dorm rooms and buildings on campus are very nice and clean too. Overall, I love going to SVSU, the atmosphere is great, and I wold recommend this school to anyone.

Jenna

I went on a campus tour during a FIRST of Michigan State competition. I have been to two other colleges, so even though I am only 15, I have those to compare Saginaw Valley State University. The people that lead the tour were full of knowledge about the campus, course and surrounding area. The young man that led my group on a tour was a freshman and already very involved in the college, that made me excited. I think that the programs offered in environmental will draw me back to SVSU. I enjoyed the walk we took through the dorms and college buildings. We were able to see molten metal poured into dies and spoke to one of the students involved. That was cool. I liked that I could walk building to building to get across campus. This would be nice on the cold or rainy days. It was a smaller college with a lot to offer.

Lauryn

The housing at Saginaw Valley is amazing. I am currently a freshman and I love where I live. The RA's are really helpful and interactive when it comes to putting on activities for the students to get together and have some fun and relax. The teachers here are helpful and pretty easy to reach. What I love the most is that the campus is not too big. Everything is easily accessible. The food is good, it would be better if they added a few more restaurants, but still not bad. The campus is very clean and well kept and in the summertime there are a lot of activities to part take in.

Although I am still new to this school I have loved every minute. Even though it seems like a lot of people go here, every time you walk the halls you see someone you know. Most of the teachers care and are very understanding. It is also is very easy to get involved!

Camdyn

I absolutely love SVSU. It makes me feel like I'm at a home away from home. There is a reason why Saginaw is voted as having the best dorms in the state. The dorms are amazing. Each one comes with a refrigerator and microwaves, some come with a stove, and each has its own personal bathroom! The class sizes are pretty small which leads to having a more connected experience with the teachers. Every person in the staff pushes the students to complete their goal and their education. There is so many activities that anyone can be a part of. All of the groups are so inclusive and a whole lot of fun. Everyone would have a great time at SVSU.

Bijesh

SVSU is one of the best decision I have ever made in my life. I love just about everything about SVSU from exceptional academic opportunities to supportive and helpful communities. You are nothing but bound to succeed at SVSU if you unleash your potential by discovering and embracing the opportunities presented to you. To sum up, an outstanding and unique university that offers many different opportunities both in and outside classroom at a affordable rate while maintaining its quality.

lydia

I thoroughly enjoy my school. I love it and am very proud to call myself a cardinal. My school is very academic centered, so the staff is very helpful and they thoroughly care about your education. The students are nice and very smart. Everyone on campus is there to learn and there to further their education and careers.

Celest

I really enjoyed my experience at SVSU. It was small and everyone was so nice in including everyone into the activities around campus. The professors were available when needed and tutoring was a big plus for students who struggle with certain subjects, the option was available. Overall, I love my school!!!

Carsen

Overall SVSU is a great college. It is not too big or too small, its pretty much the perfect size. People know almost everyone too.Everyone on campus is super nice. Housing on campus is one of the nicest I have seen. I like that option of having a lot of roommates. I feel like the only bad thing is the food on campus. It is the same thing over and over but we have the option of the store and papa johns also little other things too.

Ryan

Saginaw Valley State University is a surprisingly good school with an excellent environment for learning. It is welcoming to non-traditional students, and high school graduates looking for a decent education locally. Its shortcoming is that it is a young university and does not carry much influence for graduates.

Tara

It is nice

Sara

It is financially stable. Good for commuters. Needs more parking spaces. Offers a selection of courses. Heard the nursing program is decent. People are friendly most of the time. Some crazy drivers. There is a bus route. Few restaurants on campus to choose from.

Nicolas

Just don’t go there. The food is barely edible. They make it so your best option is to eat from the cafeteria, which also makes sure you only eat so much. There are 5 other places you can eat and after a year you get tired of the same stuff. They under fund the art department so be ready to purchase everything yourself. The computers are older than my house and take 5 minutes to boot up. The bathrooms are usually always clogged or a sink is broken. One time the gym ran out of wipes so they gave paper towels and spray bottles out for 2 weeks. The facilities close around 4pm so it’s difficult to get any changes made or talk to someone about your college status. The professors in most of the fields don’t test you on what you were given in the study guide. They expect you to go look up obscure info and memorize it without them saying so. The professors also do not agree with you free lancing projects. You have to do it their way or make a project similar to what they would grade a B on. The school has eliminated the C letter grade. Anything under a B is failing so it is difficult to pass. The professors won’t grade work until after you do the course evaluations so try not to give them too much credit. The professors also don’t wait for questions. They ask for questions and then move on even when a hand is up. I honestly feel like I’m wasting my time and money and the school is blaming me for not passing. Count on them blaming you and telling you to drop out. Frankly, going to this school made me suicidal. They also won’t do anything about it if you are. A classmate committed suicide and they blocked of the room for a few days. 4 months later they held a vigil to save face. They only advertised it in the paper so maybe 15 people showed up.

Danielle

Great dorms, great people, great food. Highly recommend this school to anyone who likes diversity. So many awesome activities for everyone person on campus to get involved with. Each major offers different ways of becoming involved and meeting new people.

Abigail

Overall, I really enjoy SVSU. The staff and campus are very kind. However, the math department is not the best. Also in Saginaw there is not a lot you can do. However, there are a lot of opportunities in the other tri-cities like Midland and Bay City. Campus is pretty safe as well, I mean we have our own police force and everyone is super caring.

Devin

I enjoy going to Saginaw Valley State University. I think that it would be better if there were more ways to get to know a small group of people and an easier way to make good friends. My dorm room is where I spend most of my time and it is very much like home. I love the rooms and I think that overall SVSU is a good university.

stacey

All my experiences at SVSU have been great! We have access to all our professors and are not taught by teacher assistants. We have top notch undergraduate facilities, especially in the allied health careers. I love the campus and food options. The gym has many options for keeping in shape, including a pool.

SVSU is a great school in a beautiful setting. They have great on-campus services and events. The sports are also awesome. There are so many local shops and restaurants nearby as well. The thing I love the most is the way the faculty and students have genuine discussions about Education and what really is taking place. I feel like my views and thoughts matter and we get a chance to hear from our fellow classmates as well. SVSU is pretty diverse.

Morgan

I love this school. I'm a proud student of Saginaw Valley State University and will never leave it. The campus is diverse and every single professor cares about you and your education. The class sizes are small giving you a chance to personally connect with your professor.

Adelaide

I personally think that SVSU is an amazing school. The medium sized school is perfect for being able to walk from place to place, all while knowing that the school provides a lot of resources for the students. When I visited, I found that I liked the student atmosphere, and how everyone was so welcoming!

Brianna

I love my college. There is always something going on and something to do. There's a job fair every semester and many opportunities to better yourself through your education. Professors hold their office hours and are quick to email back about any concerns. I am glad that I chose this college to attend.

Cameron

Overall my opinion of Saginaw Valley State University is OK. So far in my first semester the class sizes seem to be normal for a class room. Not extremely large like some universities. Also the teachers that have taught me have pretty strict grading standards. Also your grade at the end of the semester is what you receive no chance of bumping it up even only a percentage point just so you can get that next letter grade.

Allison

I think that SVSU is a good school and I feel confident in my education here. There are many things to do and I believe the housing is one of the top in Michigan. The professors are easy to get ahold of and the class sizes are smaller so there is more room for one on one.

Erika

Saginaw Valley is a great place to begin your post-secondary education! With amazing dorms, approachable staff, and manageable class sizes, you would think that would be all you could ever hope for. Turns out there's even more! This college is incredibly affordable and with all of the clubs and student organizations, there will never be a dull moment at Saginaw.

Morgan

I love Saginaw Valley, when i went on my campus visit they made me feel at home, not an outsider. Everyone is super nice and they all say hi to each other as they walk by and they all hold the doors for each other as we were walking in and out of a building.

Gabrielle

It is an exceptional school with plenty to do. Great class sizes and teacher to student ratios. Dedicated faculty and first class housing. I have spoken to many of the teaching staff and they express to me that they care about the students and are excited about the future for the students and the school.

Katie

Saginaw Valley State University is a great school. It has grown rapidly over the last 20 years. A large majority of the campus has newer facilities. Their on-campus housing is great. There are options for both freshman and upperclassmen. The nursing program was fantastic. I felt better prepared than some of the other new-graduate nurses that I worked with right after school. The campus is a nice medium size and you don't feel like just a number.

Dominic

Saginaw Valley State University is a place full of opportunities. I wanted to attend a university that was both fun to be a part of, but also held an academic standard that would challenge me throughout my day to day life. I believe that Saginaw Valley State University is a great fit for anyone, regardless of what they want to major in or be a part of on campus. Campus life is always booming with exciting clubs and student organizations that work hard every day to represent our community in the most positive way. I was made to be a Saginaw Valley Cardinal and I will be one until the day I die.

Jaime

I absolutely love SVSU and even though I am not currently enrolled it's still a beautiful campus. The dorms are one of the best in the nation and the classes are just the right size for me. I think when I attend next fall it'll feel like a second home to me