Davenport, IA
Saint Ambrose University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Ambrose University

Julie

My fellow classmates are typically young and energetic. Most are attending school full time, such as myself. All are enthusiastic to learn and excited to attend St. Ambrose University. They have good team spirit and respect their professors, regarding many of them as peers. There has been no display of discrimination, quite the opposite. Everyone is friendly, helpful, and support each other in their studies.

I would tell myself not to postpone returning to school for so long. It is possible to attend classes full time along with working full time, and raise four kids. It is not easy but it is possible. At this time in your life, you do not have to work full time and do not have any children. You may find a descent-paying job for now, but lay-offs are not, ?a thing of the past?. Skills without knowledge will be useless as you age. Even if you choose to work and obtain skills and/or get married and start a family, you will be able to continue with school. You worked hard to obtain your high school diploma. This knowledge will fade faster than you think. Starting college and a job will give you both the knowledge to do a job along with skills/experience to do the job. Other than being lazy, there is no reason not to attend college right away. Talk to financial aid today!

That I would have been able to attend years earlier through their nights and weekend excel program. The school staff prepares you well for what is n store. Little is left to question staff are quick to respond and easily available for further needs you may have. They are friendly and respectful at all times, ready to go the extra mile providing a great experience for you to grasp the knowledge needed for your major and plan ahead for the addition of future degrees or plan for graduate school. Tools are avail 24/7 on the internet to assist you.

Nichole

Saint Ambrose is a catholic school known for thie excellent programs. They have ministry, business, physical and occupational therapies as well as a new speech and language pathology program.

I did not start my college career until I was 26 years old. At the time I had been married, then divorced with 2 children. If I could talk to myself at the age of 18 I would say how important a college education is. I think a student must be serious about academics. I would tell myself to go and experience college life. I would tell myseld to go and forge friendships and enjoy a new found independence. I believe that having strong high school education/career counseling and parent encourgement are keys to the success of students. At this time in my life, I must balance class work, time, money, household responsibilties, and my childrens activities. This becomes quite a juggle, but I am very determined to obtain my masters. For my children, college will not be an option, it will be a must.

Someone driven and eager for success. It offers many masters programs, so grades and acheivements are very important at this school. The possibilities of job employment after graduation is excellent and programs are very competitive.

Bradley

I would tell myself to go away to college and finish the first time. I originally lived with my parents and attended the local community college. While this was much cheaper option, it was too close to a high school experience. I would tell myself to take the necessary time in high school to apply for scholorships and apply to the universities I was intrested in. This would have provided the change I needed to stay interested. I would also strongly push myself to not quit. Now that I am balancing a wife and kids with college, I see how easy it would have been. I will say I have more life experience, but this will come so I don't need to worry about it until after I have a degree. At this point I would pat myself on the back, and say good luck because I know I didn't listen to anyone when I was in high school, and I know I wouldn't even listen to myself.

The schools returning student/eventing degree program uses accelerated five to eight week classes. As a working adult, it is difficult to add this much course work into such a short period of time. I would rather take multiple, full semester courses than three accelerated courses, one at a time.

The courses that are offered are limited each semester, and if you don't get in when it is offered, you may need to wait until the following year to get take it. With limited information about the future semester course offerings, it is difficult to plan accordingly. This is made worse by not getting information on the new course's book requirements until 10 to 14 days prior to the day it starts. This does nto allow enough time to order the book and complete the precourse work that is required.

Toni

During my senior year I was extremely stressed out about my college decision process. I was worried about being away from home for months at a time and not liking college. If I could go back into time, I would tell myself to relax. I have not had any difficulty adjusting to college or being away from home. I am 100% satisfied with my college choice. And had I not liked St. Ambrose, it wouldn't have been the end of the world. I felt like once I made my college decision I would forever be locked in to that college. Looking back, I know that thought is absurd. Getting involved in extracurricular activities and meeting new people is almost a sure way to increase individual happiness at school. In the end, if I didn't like St. Ambrose, I could have transfered. Luckily, I love St. Ambrose and have zero desire to transfer. I wish I would have stopped focusing so much on things I could do nothing about, like future happiness at the college and the possibility of homesickness, and spent more time enjoying my last year of high school.

St. Ambrose is an extremely expensive school. Even with scholarships, I will have to take out massive amounts of loans to cover my education. I know college is an investment in my future, but St. Ambrose is an extremely large investment! I have always had very good grades in school and so I have a fairly large scholarship, but it is still very expensive for me. I can't imagine being a B or a C student trying to attend St. Ambrose. Given my financial status, I wouldn't be able to afford St. Ambrose.

Any scholarships that a student receives from the school is capped. There is very little housing on campus, yet if a student decides to move off campus his/her scholarship is capped at about seven thousand dollars per year. This means that unless an individual has a lot of money, moving off campus is not an option. I have not been able to use the lounge in my dorm building because of students being forced to live in the dorms because there isn't enough housing, yet the students can't move off of campus.

Jamie

St. Ambrose University is a smaller, but still a very diverse campus. I love that I am able to get to know all of my professors. St. Ambrose offers an education different from many other schools. As a liberal arts school I know that I will have a well-rounded education and be prepared for my next move after college, whatever it may be.

If I were to go back to my senior year in high school, I would advise myself to read all the chapters assigned to read at home. This would have prepared me for all the reading in college. I would also speak up more during class. Even though I am active in class discussions in college, I wish I would have had more practice with public speaking, such as with speeches. Now that I plan on being a teacher, I may have watched my teachers more closely, to observe different techniques used. As a student I would have taken more notes, just for pratice, because in college notes are key to success. Outside of the academics, transitioning into college was a complete lifestyle change. I have also been independent , but I also come from a big family. It was different for me to live with only one other person. If I can go back a year, I would have tried to prepare myself more for separation from my family. I would remind myself that college is a big change, and the best approach is to be myself and try to stay as calm as possible.

St. Ambrose has something to offer to everyone. Those students willing to learn, and those who go into college with an open mind will be successful not only at Ambrose but in their career as well. The professors at Ambrose care about the education their students receive. So even those students who just don't get it will be able to get help and succeed. Ambrose offers a wide range of sports, extra cirricular, and art/theatre programs. There is something for all persons interested in attending.

Allison

?When one door closes another one opens?. Graduation brings many new experiences. It allows students to live away from home, gaining independence, it brings a new set of friends and opens doors one never knew existed. However, if one is not properly prepared, the novelty and challenges of college may feel overwhelming. College introduces newfound freedom. It allows students to make their own decisions with minimal influences from parents. It is helpful to remember that the decisions you make will follow you. It is necessary to make your own decisions but may be helpful to think about the advice your parents may give on a subject, to help you make your own decision. Unlike schooling before when the same group of students moved from grade to grade together and occasionally combined schools college takes students from all over the world. Out of your comfort zone, you must meet new people, make friends, and keep relationships strong with old friends, strewn about the country. College opens many doors but before entering prepare for the changes and know that as important as making new friends is it is also important to keep the old. Remember today?s decisions are tomorrows realities.

I wish I had been told how early things on campus actually close. The cafeteria closes early as does the library and all school offices. Being a person who does most things late into the evening at times this is difficult. Also, there are many changes and they come quick. Remaining grounded and keeping a strong support system will make the transition easier. Friendships and relationships in general take more work but are beneficial to continued success. Staying on top of life will keep it from taking you over which you feel will happen easily with all the changes.

Saint Ambrose is a small school allowing for very individual and hands on learning situations. It is common that teachers know all of their students by name and through the semester are able to discover their strengths and weaknesses making it easy for them to individually help each student find success. The size also allows for some "hand holding" behavior that may not help some students. Class participation is a must as well as forming personal relationships with professors. The school also only has one cafeteria and library which close fairly early so night owls may have some trouble adjusting.

If I could go back in time I would tell the high school version of myself to seriously consider the monetary demands of college. I would encourage myself to start off at a community college to finish pre-requisite classes for a reasonable price, and then transfer out to a four year university that specializes in Nursing. I do not think I realized the tremendous amount of debt I was incurring by taking out so much in student loans, and I wish I would have known. I would also inform myself of the amount of effort and time it takes to restore your GPA once you screw it up. When I was a freshman all I wanted to do was have fun and experience the college life. It took a toll on my GPA which required tons of hard work to bring it back up to a 3.84, this is difficult to do when taking extremely demanding nursing classes. While I have enjoyed my college years and try to live life without regrets I would love to go back in time to tell myself how important GPAs are and about saving money starting out at a community college.

I don't think St. Ambrose excludes any "kind" of person specifically. Many non-traditional students, including mothers and older adults, attend the school and are well accepted by their peers. If I had to choose though, I would say anyone not serious about school may not want to waste the $20,000 a year.

The cost of tuition is pretty high. The school offers so many scholarships and grants for those living on campus but there is very little available for off campus students. Another downside of being an off campus student at St. Ambrose is the lack of parking available, even with the purchase of a parking sticker.

Traci

One the first day of class you will be overwhelmed with syllabi full of expectations for the entire semester. Do as I say? After you have received all of your syllabi, sit down with a planner and write every due date for every class in your planner. This way you will be able to consider everything that is due every day and nothing will sneak up on you, and you won?t be completely overloaded the night before a due date. Take the time to read over your syllabus, possibly even several times to make sure you don?t overlook anything. This could be vital! You must motivate yourself to work ahead and stay up on your projects and assignments; you never know what may come up and leave you struggling at the last minute to complete your work. Create a task sheet for yourself. There is nothing more relieving than crossing out a completed task! A task sheet is also a simple way to stay organized and on top of it! These simple and easy organizational tasks will save you from unnecessary stress and loss of sleep!

There are many opportunities to get involved at St. Ambrose, and the student body takes full advantage of it. Students here are very active and involved in all activities. Campus activites holds a "clubs" day in a large center on campus and every club or activiy sets up a table promoting thier group. It makes it very easy for students to learn about groups and activities and get involved. There is also a very accessable activity center on campus for studnets to visit and recieve more information about activities and clubs.

I would consider the worst thing about St. Ambrose to be the cost, but St. Ambrose is a private catholic college and you have to expect that. Even though St. Ambrose does offer competive scholarships and financial aid to compensate for the expenses, I still have alternative loans to cover the costs.

Jenna

Saint Ambrose is a very friendly, caring, and acceptive school to attend; Professors and students are always there to help when needed.

If I could go back to being a high school senior I would tell myself to focus directly on school and less on the social aspect of college life. Freshmen year of college is a big transition from high school and it is important to realize what your priorities are early in life. I would tell myself that school is the most important thing and the social life is for weekends and breaks. It is very difficult to do well in school when you worry so much about what your friends are doing. Always focus on yourself and don't ever make decisions based on other peoples opinions or the fear of not fitting in. There are people out there who will accept you for who you are and go out and find them. I will always live by the quote, "It doesn't matter if your the quarterback on the football team or the most popular girl in school, find out who you are and don't be afraid of it".

The best thing about my school is the small class size and the fact that professors are always there for you when you need them. It is very easy to contact them and get help when you need it. The classes are an 11 to 1 ratio so it makes it very easy to get one-on-one help.

kathryn

I would tell myself to not be afraid. I spent the first year of college in my apartment because I was afraid to put myself out there since i did not know anyone. You have to be brave, it is not until you fully open yourself that you are able to see the great potential you have. If you box yourself up in studying alone you will lose yourself. While grades are very important it is imparitive to remember you must have some social life or you will easily fall into depression, especially if you move states (as i did). The single most important advice i could give would be...Open your mind, heart, and soul. Experience college from every aspect because once it is gone you will either be left with regret or the expirence of a lifetime.

Saint Ambrose University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.