Saint Ambrose University Top Questions

I would first tell myself to not care so much about what other's think of me. My time in college spent trying to impress other's cost me a great deal. While the party lifestyle is appealing, it is only temporary. I would tell myself to put forth my best effort. I spent the first two years in school wasting away. After I got in trouble I went from almost failing out to getting a full time job and making straight A's. In life and in school you are capable of accomplishing wonders if you put your mind to it. I would tell myself before deciding on a major take a variety of classes, and choose a major that makes you happy. After I spent time refelecting on college, I realized the most heplful piece of advice would be to listen to my parents. If I had have listened I would not have made many mistakes that I did. When a mistake is made keep your head up, and never stop going forward. I would finally say for every decision you make think to yourself does this get me closer to what I want for my future.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would definitely tell myself not to be scared. College has been an amazing experience, and I was very worried coming into it. I was afraid I wouldn't fit in and I wouldn't find friends. I would tell myself to just be outgoing and friendly, and everything else will fall into place. People in college are much friendlier than they were in high school. There is no reason to be afraid that you wont find where you belong. There are so many opportunities to get to know people, just take advantage of those and everything will be fine!

I would tell myself to not go home nearly as often as I did. I went home almost every-other weekend the first semester of my Freshman year and missed out on a lot of things happening at my school. It was also very hard to make friends at school when I was gone so often, I never had time to hang out with the people I was meeting at school. I hated school that semester because I was never there. As soon as I got involved in things and couldn't go home, I made more friends and started loving college. I know this would have happend a lot sooner if I had just stuck it out and stayed at school most of the times I went home. Not going home very often, at least at first, is the best advice I think I could give myself. Making friends in the place I'm supposed to be for the next 3 or so years of my life is much more important than seeing friends at home, having friends at school makes you a much happier person, helping you do much better in school.

Leticia

As I am sure all current college students would do, most of them would go back to their high school self and say “Be more social”, or “Be sure to get involved with this earlier” or “Choose this dorm because it’s better than this one”. If I had the chance to go back and talk to myself again as a high school student, believe it or not I would actually have nothing to say. All the advice I would have given myself would be redundant because I heard it all throughout senior year of high school and through the summer. Saint Ambrose gave me all the input/guidance I needed to make the most out of my college experience. Every situation I have been involved in this far has shaped and changed me in different ways, and I believe that without them happening I would not be the person I am today. So giving myself unnecessary information would sort of be a waste of time; because I can truthfully say that I would go through everything all over again...no regrets.

Karli

I would tell myself to be open to new ideas and trying new activities and groups on campus. By talking with and becoming friends with people that are different from you, you are able to better understand yourself and why you believe what you do. This in turn will better develop your values, and thats what college is all about. With this in mind it is important to stick to your values and not try or do something because "everyone is doing it" because in reallity not everyone is doing it. Their are other people on campus with your same values, more than you would think.

Becky

Knowing what I know now about college life and the transition after high school, I strongly advise to get organized. Apply, apply, and apply for as many scholarships that pertain to you and definitely get an early start to avoid feeling overwhelmed and rushed. I would also strongly advise to avoid spending money on unnecessary things, because once you are in college you are going to remember buying that expensive new outfit and wish you saved it to buy your now expensive and necessary textbooks. Getting involved in as much as you can in high school, and being an active volunteer are smart things to consider. I would also strongly advise you to be more social and explore outside of your comfort zone, because in college you will be new people almost everyday. My last piece of advice would be to have an open mind to new possibilities and to keep a visualization of where you want to be in the future. To work hard to make that visualization become a reality some day.

Cassea

Cassea, high school is going to go by faster than you think. You need to plan for your future. My advice to you is to explore different careers through job shadowing. Find out what it is like to work in different careers and what really interests you. Take more duel credit classes from your local community college to earn college credit in high school. Life in college will be much simpler if you do. The more college classes you can take in high school, the earlier you will be able to graduate from college and save on tuition expenses. Take time to study each day and review the subjects. Prepare ahead of time for upcoming tests and research papers by organizing notes, making flashcards, and rereading the material. If you don't understand it, request a tutor or extra time with the teacher. Ask questions until you truly understand it. Grades are important. Study hard. Lastly, remember those calls from work asking you to come in and you came up with some lame excuse as to why you couldn't? That is going to cost you. You need to earn and save as much money as you can for college.

The advice I would give myself if to keep going no matter how rough things can get. I would tell myself that I need to buckle down in my school work because I am not going to get by in my classes without studying like I am use to. The people that I have in met in high school will eventually change but the ones that mean the most to me will always be there in the end. I would tell myself to keep my options open and to expect to meet some crazy people that will forever change my life. Times are going to get more stressful then before but I need to stay organized and ask for help even if I feel like Im going to be a bother to someone else. My last piece of advice to myself is that now is the time to open new opportunities and to take it and run with it. I am going to be a new person and it starts today!

When a person is a senior in high school, older people with more life experience will tell him to “enjoy this last year.” However, the senior year of high school is also a transition into major changes that will take place in the student’s life. The advice that I would give myself as a senior would be to pursue my academic passions with persistence and intensity. I would tell myself to perform all of my responsibilities with excellence. Sometimes it is easy to allow yourself to do enough work to get the job done. Having this type of work ethic will not prepare a person to succeed and excel. College is not a place for procrastination, but rather a place for preparation and study. It is also a place where a person can experience many types of activities, clubs and organizations. It is important to participate in activities which fit a person’s talents and personality. The experiences gained from both academics and extracurricular activities will prepare the student for his future. Whatever the student pursues, he should be a diligent worker who takes his schooling seriously. Anyone can succeed in college if he has passion, diligence and discipline.

Kirsten

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stop fretting over my grades so much and worry more about the skills I am learning. At my high school I didn't have to work very hard to get straight A's, but I find it harder to get good grades on tests in college. College is not supposed to be easy, but my problem was when it became time to take the tests, I didn't know how to study. In college professors don't always hand you notes or tell you what is on the test. Most professors will just lecture at you. In high school as well as college, I suggest not taking classes to get an easy A, but take harder classes that you will take more from. Explore different study methods to discover how you learn best. Don't fret over your grades as much as asking yourself what can I take away from a class that will better prepare me for my future career or even skills needed for life in the future like time management, problem solving and budgeting.

I would advise myself to open up to people and try new things. You never know if you like something unless you try it and you wont make life long friendships with out shaking a hand and saying hello. These have been two of the biggest things that I have learned in college this far and without pushing myself, I would never have got to the place that I am today.

Get the education sooner than later. A good paying job does not substitute when times get hard. More education makes you most valuable to a potential employer.

Nikki

I would tell myself that you are about to start a new transition into adulthood in the next nine months. You will get all honors because to have all A's would mean excellence as well as receiving academic scholarships. Your main focus this last year in school is going to attend to studying and doing the best you can do. If this means to cut off people that you've ran with since you were five years old because all they want to do is party and have fun then so be it. They may get mad at you, but it's to better your future. Think about what's going to better you. Success is in you and I know that you will achieve it. You have the brains and I know you can accomplish anything. You just have to apply yourself. The future is full of infinite possibilities. Which ones are you willing to go the distance to achieve? I hope that furthering your education is one of them. Do something with your life that you will look back on one day and say, "Man. I really did it!" It's your time to shine. Do it.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would talk myself into playing on the women's basketball team here at St. Ambrose. Sports were my life in high school and I miss that part of it now. I would also tell myself to learn good study habits now because in college there will be more distractions and I need to be able to put my education first. Basically, I would tell myself to try my hardest and do the very best I can so that when I go to college I know how much I am capable of and know I can succeed in whatever I do. Doing the very best I can do is all the matters. As long as I am trying my best I can succeed at whatever I do.

I wasn't interested in school then, I just wanted to get out as soon as possible. Now I would tell myself that it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. You can still work and carry on your life. College won't take up all of your time. Just try it and see how you do and at least you'll know you gave it a shot. Just go on and get your 2 year Associate Degree and be proud of yourself for being the first one in your family to get a college degree.

Stop procrastinating! It's your last year of high school. I know you are going to go to a community college, but do look now to where you want to transfer afterwards. Don't decide last minute after you graduate community college to continue your education. I know it will be hard, but you can do it. Also, please save your money better. I know it's hard to have to save and buy what you need. Just skip out on a couple of those wants you bought. No one said becoming an adult was easy, but you will have some great fun along the way and meet new people too. Relax and enjoy your next step in this journey called life. Without all of this you will never get the opportunity to go that amazing trip in a couple years.

Susan

My senior year of high school was not like most students' senior year. I was enrolled part-time at my high school and part-time at Black Hawk Community College. I had already disconnected myself from high school. I was ready to be done and move on with my life, meet new people, and make new memories. I had fun through the first three years of high school, but by the fourth year, I was ready to get out, which is why I only went half of the day. I think the best advice I could have offered myself would have been to stick with it and go into a field that made me happy, and to stop worrying about disappointing people. I spent the first three years in college being extremely unhappy and dissatisfied with my choice of major. Now that I have chosen to switch my major to Elementary Education, I am so much happier. I am excited to wake up every morning and go to school, because I am working towards what I love. If I had to tell my senior high self one piece of advice, it would be to do what I love.

I would tell myself not to worry, and that not everyone likes to go out and party. I would also tell myself not to worry too much about religious leaders, because all of them on campus are really open and understanding

If I was able to go back in time and talk to my young self I would say to keep an open mind. College is a once in a lifetime experience and not everyone is fortunate enough to experience it. Go into college with the best attitude and treat it as a learning experience. I would tell myself to live everyday and make the most of what is given to you. Take nothing for granted and hard work really does pay off in the future. Keep your loved ones close and treat your fellow companions as you wish to be treated. College is going shape you into who you’re going to be for the rest of your life. I would tell myself to play hard, but work harder, for your future is based in what you know and what you choose to do with your education. If it is to be, it is up to me.

Tanika

My college experience was and still is phenomenal. My study of choice is Criminal Justice and I have learned almost all I need to begin my career. St. Ambrose University has put me in a position to know and understand the basics of criminal justice. Through my internship at the Scott County Jail, I received more hands on learning. The staff there know me and my work ethic and have encouraged me to seek a career with them. I appreciate my school for taking the time to work with me and cater to my needs. I now have the motivation and the drive I need in order to see my future more clearly. Without St. Ambrose Universtiy, my name would not be known in the local criminal justice field that it is. I would say my attendance at my school has been extremely valuable.

Diana

I have learn from my college experience what it is to be away from home and learn how to take care for yourself and to stay healthy. I learned that in college you have to learn how to become responsible for your own life know because you don't have your parents behind your back reminding you to get up to go to class or to do your homework or to eat your veggies. It has been very valuable to attend St. Ambrose because that means expanding my horizons. Getting out of my safe zone to meet new people and new opportunities in what life can offer. College has impacted me because i have made so many amazing friend relationships and gotten involved with the Ambrose Community. I've learned that life can take you many places all i have to do is go for my dreams. I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and minor in Sociology and with that i will be able to help my community and achieve my goals in life.

I am currently attending SJVC Online for my Associated Degree in Medical/Clinical Assisting. I am really enjoying doing online classes because i am on my own schedule, and its a field that i have always wanted to work in.

Jacqui

I've had a lot of issues with both ADHD and PTSD, and my college experience has been very helpful in learning about myself and how to adjust to and nagivate my way through both of those disabilities. I have gone to other colleges, but St. Ambrose has been the most conducive to figuring MYSELF out, which, in the end, is what I think that college should be all about. We're emerging adults and it's our JOB at college to find out who we are, as well as getting prepared for our future as adults. St. Ambrose has helped me to know and love myself, something I don't think I would have gotten so easily at other colleges while preparing for a future AS me in the world.

Throughout my college career I have acquired new knowledge in the healthcare field as well as grown as an indivdual. College has taught me life lessons that I couldn't have learned anywhere else. I have met great, life long friends. College has made me a better all around person.

To me, college is valuable to attend because I want to learn. Over Christmas break I found myself reading a book. "The History of Mathematics" was the title. Without any scholastic obligation I was reading a book I wouldn't have picked up during high school. I'm not saying I didn't have a drive for knowledge then. I did. In fact, I went to a limited attendance science and math academy. I suppose this 'want for knowledge', as cliche as it sounds, started there. I'm sure that maturity played a roll, too. Either way I know I am changing intellectually and school surely tops the list of personal interests. College has taken over my life and I have no problem with it. When I tell people my plans which include two more years of prerequisites, the MCAT, my residency, and my fellowship, the response is normally the same. Sometimes I'm a little offended by their discouraging words, but most of the time I assure them it's what I want. The self-satisfaction of knowledge is the reason college is valuable to attend, or as Aristotle put it, "All men by nature desire knowledge."

I have learned many important lessons in my first semester of my college experience. I was enrolled in a research biology class my first semester, and I was informed from the beginning that it would be a very challenging class. At first, I was nervous about the amount of work required and whether or not I could really do an entire research project. Throughout the semester I not only learned about the subject of biology, but also about the importance of task management when working in a group, the downfalls of procrastination, and the pride of finishing a difficult task. All of these are very important skills to have when working in the real world. Despite the fact that the class appeared daunting at first, I feel as though I have gained important skills that I would not have otherwise.

Felicia

When I first came to St. Ambrose I felt as though it was almost impossible for me to finish my degree because I would be unable to pay for it. These professors, and staff of mine showed me that having faith can go along way. I moved out when I was fifteen so,me to get into a college like Ambrose meant the world to me because I thought fopr sure that I wasn't able to afford a good education. Let alone a college where I feel like a family member. I go to school somedays just so i can find myself. I bought my own house last year and ever since it's been a little hectic but now at least i have a home. The professors and staff make me forget that I am not only a young adult, but i am a child too. To understand this you must know who I am. I have worked full time since I moved out as well, and have made it to my junior year. Coming from a girl who believed that her life was over St. Ambrose has saved my life litterally.

Chantel

I have made many friends and learned much inside and outside of the classroom. It is valuable for me to attend because it enables me to get out of my home and into the real world. My advisors are wonderful and understanding. The value of my advisor's involvement in the community is invaluable. They are helping me learn to help others like me who have been abused which puts me in the right place.

College has really helped me grow as a person. I have learned that in the real world people have to deal with a lot of people they don't always like or get along with, but they still have to interact with anyway. I have also learned that time management and organization are the biggest tools to make sure you have. College has really allowed me to be a strong leader and I have had opportunities to be interviewed and speak out publically for the issues that I believe are important.

I am currently enrolled with AIU online. This has been an amazing experience. One of the things that I most grateful for is that since it is done completely on-line, I can work on my own time and still hold a full time job. Working towards my degree on-line has enabled me to still have a classroom experience and socialize with fellow students and faculty members. I have discovered a since of accomplishments where there was just dissatisfaction in myself in the past. So far I've achieved my AA and I am currently working towards my BS. I am proud to be able to be a role model to my children so that they can follow by example..

Ileana

College has demonstrated to me responsibility, maturity, and independence. In college, one has the choice to choose what he/she desires to study and pursue and make the right/ wrong decisions affecting their lives. I am responsible now of waking myself up for school, getting to school, and attending all my classes. I have the responsibility of making sure I get all my work complete and perform at my highest capacity. I no longer have my parents stressing over my academics as much as in high school because, in reality, its only going to affect me how and where my performance leads me in life. Because I attend college, I have grown as an individual in taking care of myself. I work to pay for school necessities and food. I have slowly but surely received little by little glimpses of what the real world will bring. Soon I will have to choose a path and lifestyle for myself that will make me happy for the rest of my life. In the meantime, college is allowing me to explore and experiment all my possibilities.

I attend Tarrant County College now, but i will attend UMHB next semester. I realized a community college doesn't offer much of a challenge as an university can. I love the experience of having way more freedom then high school. Being in college has made me more responsible for my actions. I have experience more freedom in college then I ever have before. It made me grow up and become more mature.

It has been a very valuable experience for me to attend college. Attending college has taught me many things. In high school, I was one of the top students in my class, the one who never studied or had to work hard to succeed. I took the easy way out on things and still got A's in my classes. Once I started college, I realized it really doesn't work that way in real life. Now I have to work very hard to get A's in my college courses and study a lot. College taught me the value of hard work. If you want to succeed, you have to work for it. College has also taught me a lot about working with other people. I am a quiet person by nature, and avoided situations involving speaking in front of others or working with strangers. Here in college I have worked with numerous different people, all in groups assigned to me. I have gained communication and leadership skills from these experiences that will help me get a job some day and excel at it. College has been a wonderful experience that is well worth the money that it costs.

Allyson

I honestly believe that Saint Ambrose University is the best place for me to work on my degree. The class sizes are small which allows for more open class discussions and a better oppirtunity to work with the teachers and proffessors when you don't understand something, or have a question. Being in college has taught me how to better maintain my blood sugar and diabetes because I am no longer living at home, so I don't have my parents to lean on anymore when things get tough. College has made me a healthier and more well rounded person, because there are so many more chances to get involved in something that I am interested in, here at Saint Ambrose than there was when I was still in high school. The people here and the friends that I have made are better influenses and make living on campus fun and comfortable.

I would have told myself to join an athletic team. While not many teams were offered at school, being a part of a team is something I missed out on. The socialization process that is incorperated in the convergence of a team would have eased my transition into college. Making friends would have been easier, especially if I discovered I was talented in the sport I could have chosen and joined a team in college.

The advice I would give to myself is to learn time management skills and apply them to your academic career. I had a few classes that I struggled in because I did not have as much time for them. If I had essential time management skills, then I would have been able to apply more time to them and might have received better grades. Another thing I would tell myself is to not be afraid to ask for help. I have learned that I can ask for help from a number of people, whether it be teachers, students, or even coaches. The teachers here are more than willing to help you out in their classes and I did not learn that until my sophomore year. I also wish I had done more shadowing for my major and possibly more internships when I was younger and had more time to.

I am 18 years old and a senior at Moline High School again... I see myself hanging out with friends and going to class like a normal student, but what can I say to myself to prepare me for what's ahead? I would tell myself...Never say never or impossible when you know you can succeed and everything is possible if you just set your mind to it. Don't second guess yourself even though it is so easy to do so. Rely on your intuition and that gut instinct, because only you know what's best and right for you. Never let anyone make you feel bad about the choices you have made in your life, you made those choices for a reason with love, care, and consideration. Continue to carry yourself with that same confidence because you're going to need it. Dont let those silly girls that you call your best friends in high school, tear you down with their negativity, stay positive and most of all keep believing in yourself. Stress is a part of everyone's life so don't get you undies in a bundle, eventually everything works out!

I would tell myself not to postpone returning to school for so long. It is possible to attend classes full time along with working full time, and raise four kids. It is not easy but it is possible. At this time in your life, you do not have to work full time and do not have any children. You may find a descent-paying job for now, but lay-offs are not, ?a thing of the past?. Skills without knowledge will be useless as you age. Even if you choose to work and obtain skills and/or get married and start a family, you will be able to continue with school. You worked hard to obtain your high school diploma. This knowledge will fade faster than you think. Starting college and a job will give you both the knowledge to do a job along with skills/experience to do the job. Other than being lazy, there is no reason not to attend college right away. Talk to financial aid today!

Nichole

I did not start my college career until I was 26 years old. At the time I had been married, then divorced with 2 children. If I could talk to myself at the age of 18 I would say how important a college education is. I think a student must be serious about academics. I would tell myself to go and experience college life. I would tell myseld to go and forge friendships and enjoy a new found independence. I believe that having strong high school education/career counseling and parent encourgement are keys to the success of students. At this time in my life, I must balance class work, time, money, household responsibilties, and my childrens activities. This becomes quite a juggle, but I am very determined to obtain my masters. For my children, college will not be an option, it will be a must.

Bradley

I would tell myself to go away to college and finish the first time. I originally lived with my parents and attended the local community college. While this was much cheaper option, it was too close to a high school experience. I would tell myself to take the necessary time in high school to apply for scholorships and apply to the universities I was intrested in. This would have provided the change I needed to stay interested. I would also strongly push myself to not quit. Now that I am balancing a wife and kids with college, I see how easy it would have been. I will say I have more life experience, but this will come so I don't need to worry about it until after I have a degree. At this point I would pat myself on the back, and say good luck because I know I didn't listen to anyone when I was in high school, and I know I wouldn't even listen to myself.

Toni

During my senior year I was extremely stressed out about my college decision process. I was worried about being away from home for months at a time and not liking college. If I could go back into time, I would tell myself to relax. I have not had any difficulty adjusting to college or being away from home. I am 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} satisfied with my college choice. And had I not liked St. Ambrose, it wouldn't have been the end of the world. I felt like once I made my college decision I would forever be locked in to that college. Looking back, I know that thought is absurd. Getting involved in extracurricular activities and meeting new people is almost a sure way to increase individual happiness at school. In the end, if I didn't like St. Ambrose, I could have transfered. Luckily, I love St. Ambrose and have zero desire to transfer. I wish I would have stopped focusing so much on things I could do nothing about, like future happiness at the college and the possibility of homesickness, and spent more time enjoying my last year of high school.

If I were to go back to my senior year in high school, I would advise myself to read all the chapters assigned to read at home. This would have prepared me for all the reading in college. I would also speak up more during class. Even though I am active in class discussions in college, I wish I would have had more practice with public speaking, such as with speeches. Now that I plan on being a teacher, I may have watched my teachers more closely, to observe different techniques used. As a student I would have taken more notes, just for pratice, because in college notes are key to success. Outside of the academics, transitioning into college was a complete lifestyle change. I have also been independent , but I also come from a big family. It was different for me to live with only one other person. If I can go back a year, I would have tried to prepare myself more for separation from my family. I would remind myself that college is a big change, and the best approach is to be myself and try to stay as calm as possible.

?When one door closes another one opens?. Graduation brings many new experiences. It allows students to live away from home, gaining independence, it brings a new set of friends and opens doors one never knew existed. However, if one is not properly prepared, the novelty and challenges of college may feel overwhelming. College introduces newfound freedom. It allows students to make their own decisions with minimal influences from parents. It is helpful to remember that the decisions you make will follow you. It is necessary to make your own decisions but may be helpful to think about the advice your parents may give on a subject, to help you make your own decision. Unlike schooling before when the same group of students moved from grade to grade together and occasionally combined schools college takes students from all over the world. Out of your comfort zone, you must meet new people, make friends, and keep relationships strong with old friends, strewn about the country. College opens many doors but before entering prepare for the changes and know that as important as making new friends is it is also important to keep the old. Remember today?s decisions are tomorrows realities.

If I could go back in time I would tell the high school version of myself to seriously consider the monetary demands of college. I would encourage myself to start off at a community college to finish pre-requisite classes for a reasonable price, and then transfer out to a four year university that specializes in Nursing. I do not think I realized the tremendous amount of debt I was incurring by taking out so much in student loans, and I wish I would have known. I would also inform myself of the amount of effort and time it takes to restore your GPA once you screw it up. When I was a freshman all I wanted to do was have fun and experience the college life. It took a toll on my GPA which required tons of hard work to bring it back up to a 3.84, this is difficult to do when taking extremely demanding nursing classes. While I have enjoyed my college years and try to live life without regrets I would love to go back in time to tell myself how important GPAs are and about saving money starting out at a community college.

Traci

One the first day of class you will be overwhelmed with syllabi full of expectations for the entire semester. Do as I say? After you have received all of your syllabi, sit down with a planner and write every due date for every class in your planner. This way you will be able to consider everything that is due every day and nothing will sneak up on you, and you won?t be completely overloaded the night before a due date. Take the time to read over your syllabus, possibly even several times to make sure you don?t overlook anything. This could be vital! You must motivate yourself to work ahead and stay up on your projects and assignments; you never know what may come up and leave you struggling at the last minute to complete your work. Create a task sheet for yourself. There is nothing more relieving than crossing out a completed task! A task sheet is also a simple way to stay organized and on top of it! These simple and easy organizational tasks will save you from unnecessary stress and loss of sleep!

If I could go back to being a high school senior I would tell myself to focus directly on school and less on the social aspect of college life. Freshmen year of college is a big transition from high school and it is important to realize what your priorities are early in life. I would tell myself that school is the most important thing and the social life is for weekends and breaks. It is very difficult to do well in school when you worry so much about what your friends are doing. Always focus on yourself and don't ever make decisions based on other peoples opinions or the fear of not fitting in. There are people out there who will accept you for who you are and go out and find them. I will always live by the quote, "It doesn't matter if your the quarterback on the football team or the most popular girl in school, find out who you are and don't be afraid of it".

kathryn

I would tell myself to not be afraid. I spent the first year of college in my apartment because I was afraid to put myself out there since i did not know anyone. You have to be brave, it is not until you fully open yourself that you are able to see the great potential you have. If you box yourself up in studying alone you will lose yourself. While grades are very important it is imparitive to remember you must have some social life or you will easily fall into depression, especially if you move states (as i did). The single most important advice i could give would be...Open your mind, heart, and soul. Experience college from every aspect because once it is gone you will either be left with regret or the expirence of a lifetime.

Teagan

The options in life are endless. Every choice allows for a new twist or turn that will only reveal a new adventure. Though out my journey in life I have enjoyed discovering the different paths I have taken. I would not tell myself specific information about my life because I believe that it was the process of discovering these things that have shaped me into the person I am today. I would instead tell my self to enjoy life more and not worry so much. I find myself now entering graduate school and thinking of all the wonderful times I have had. I have changed my major several time, had my heart broken in a relationship, and discovered who I truly am. Though not all of life is easy I still enjoy uncovering what my future might hold with out information about it.

Douglas

First and foremost, college is not an end in itself, but rather a means to the ends of acquiring the skills necessary to obtain a good career and, more importantly, improving yourself. Whatever you do, don't lose sight of those ends because, if you do, you will temporarily cease to do your best and your education will suffer as a result. Second, start focusing on finances as soon as possible. The moment you graduate, you will be entering the real world and once you're faced with that, you'll wish you had prepared yourself better. If you do your best on preparing yourself from the beginning then you'll find yourself in a much better situation and you won't regret the outcome. Lastly, don't settle with having only your next semester planned out. Plan out every class you need to take from the beginning so that you can spread the work evenly across all four years. It's possible to pick up a second major in your junior year, but you'll pay for that lack of planning when you have so much work some days that you can't go to bed on time.

Do all of the research that I can about the major I am pursuing. Take my time with the decision to attend a four year right out of high school. If necessary start at a two year college and work my way up just to be sure that major is what I want. Join in as many activities as I can. Take advantage of all the points I can earn in a class.