Manchester, NH
Saint Anselm College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Anselm College

Kyle

My classmates at Saint Anselm College are extremely hard-working, motivated, humble and enthusiastic individuals with a common goal to maximize their intellectual abilities, to eventually be ethical leaders and informed citizens, who contribute to a more just community and world.

If i were to go back in time and be my own advisor there wouldn't be too much I would change or a lot of advice that I would give myself but there is one piece of advice i would instill. This piece of advice would be "to focus on life, be happy and enjoy it while it lasts. Don’t get caught up in the many distractions you will face, take it seriously when you need to and lightly when you have to. Surround yourself with good uplifting positive people."

I would have to say the two most frustrating things about attending Saint Anselm College would be the cold winter weather and the non-buffet style of eating. The reason cold weather is one of the worst things about this school is not only does the winter bring excruciatingly cold weather it also brings masses of snow which almost puts you in hibernation, making you not want to step foot outside. The reason non-buffet style of eating is frustrating is because as an athlete you need to consume enough carbs to replenish your body but this obstructs those needs.

Mallory

Saint Anselm is unique in the sense that it plays an important role in shaping who the students are not only as future job holders of America, but it also shapes the students into becoming active members of society. Many colleges merely focus on getting young people equipped and ready to work just to boost up the financial success in this country but Saint A's in unique in that they actually care about you as an individual here. You are not just a number, you are a person.

I think the biggest piece of advice that I would give to myself as a high school senior is to cherish every single moment and realize that time really does fly. Being in college and realizing how fast growing up can be, I notice more how fast time goes by and it becomes almost nostalgic. I enjoyed my high school years but college is a whole new experience that I want to enjoy even more. In order to do so, I think it is important to grasp any opportunity that comes my way and to really take in the whole lifestyle of being a college student. This is the time where you truly get to learn who you are and utilize the tools you learned growing up when it comes to becoming independent and moving up in the real world.

To be completely honest, I don't think that there is a specific type of student that fits the general category to be a member of the Saint A's community. At Saint A's, we take pride in the diversity we have at our school and the integration of many different types of people is what makes our school so special. Coming to Saint A's is a great way to discover your true self surrounded by people you'll be friends with for the rest of your adult life.

Mishaye

The advice I would give myself in high school would be, the struggles are short and pass. You can do anything you want to do without people bringing you down. You can make yourself proud and to not worry about your parents that don’t care. I am in college and it gives me determination to reach my dreams. I am happy but you can make the future even brighter with better choices. We have a son now, and I don’t regret him but I wish we would have waited. Life would have been more smooth and school-orientated. I found ways to make it work with the odds against me, and you can too. You need to fight to get a career in nursing, because it will help people and make a difference in the world. There will be a shortage of nurses in the future and we need to join the fight to prevent that from happening. The greatest thing we can do is stay in college.

Schyler

I would tell myself the exact thing that I did. I used to be shy and I told myself to just be friendly and open. I went into college with the mindset that I would introduce myself to everyone I met, and try to be as friendly and open as possible. It worked very well. I made a lot of friends within the first two weeks, and I'm still friends with them going into our third year at college. I still even keep in touch with people who are Alumni of the school.

The academics. The professors are really dedicated to their fields and always willing to talk after class about more in-depth topics.

I brag about the food and the weekend social life the most. I also like to brag about the monks that live on campus, as well as those who teach at and run our school.

Vallerie

I would tell myself to trust myself. I had a lot of problems with classes at the beginning of college becaues I did not trust myself or have confidence in myself. I would know the correct answer in my head, but I would never take the risk and raise my hand. The best advice I would give myself is to take risks. When you trust yourself and take risks, you learn. Mistakes are a crucial part of gaining an education. I have learned more from my mistakes than my sucesses and I don't regret any of my mistakes. By being too conservative, I missed opportunites. When you take risks, you live. It is better to fail than to never take a chance at all.

I wish that I knew more about work study jobs and financial aid.

I consider my school to have unwritten rules that everyone must follow that create an uneasiness on campus.

Julianne

My high school self would have liked to know a few things about college life. For example, don't give away your roomcode if you don't want your friends running into your room at 3 AM screaming. Avoid sunday night showers that haven't been cleaned since friday morning. Essays definitely shouldn't be written 6 hours before they are due. And finally, boys only have two things on their minds: sex and the amount of money left on their meal plan. When you're caught up in the excitement and anxiety of transitioning into college these are overlooked. You might also overlook crucial pieces of the "Big Picture." Like the importance of finding friends you can party with on saturday nights and respect on monday mornings. How you shouldn't waste any weekends but you shouldn't get wasted every weekend because you're only a freshmen and you should respect your body. How procrastination will get you nowhere but exhausting all-nighters. How boys will break your heart if you aren't careful. College isn't just education for your future career, its experience for the rest of your life and not to be taken for granted.

The worst thing about Saint Anselm is probably parietals. Intervisitation hours are 5pm-11pm on weekdays and 5pm-2am/12pm-2am on weekends. To me they're way too brief. I know the school wants us to be moral and all, but sometimes its really feels like they're forcing it on us. Like during finals week, obviously a time to be studying your life away, but taking away all intervisitation kind of sucks.

When I tell my friends about Saint Anselm I brag about the campus. Its gorgeous especially in the fall with all the foliage and the ivy on Alumni Hall. The quad is my favorite place during nice weather. My friends at other schools don't really have a place like that to hang out with your friends on a beautiful day. The food is also delicious in the cafeteria compared to most other schools. The lunch ladies are my favorite people in the world.

Kaley

In going to college, I have gained a new appreciaton for learning. I did not enjoy high school that much, because it was fairly easy, and a lot of time was spent doing "busy work", work that does not require much thought, and only take up time. On the contrary, college does not involve busy work. So much of my college experience has been spent actually learning rather than just copying answers out of a text book. There's no such thing as busy work in college. You listen to lectures, you have to actually learn the material, and then you are tested on it. I have learned so much more in one semester of college than I have in four years of high school. In addition, my social skills have improved because I've had to make new friends. On the first day of school, I was out of my comfort zone. I did not know a single soul, and I really had to make an effort to put myself out there and make new friends. It was something I had not done in such a long time, and it was challenging, but it was worth it.

I wish I would have known that the selection of clubs is not that vast. I cannot really find a club that I am interested in.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is someone who is not open to learning about different religious beliefs from their own. Saint Anselm College requires students to take a few courses involving the study of Catholicism, so students who plan on attending Saint Anselm College should be open to the idea of studying religion.

Erin

I suppose most of what I have learned from Saint Anselm isn't academic, though the academic experience has overall been excellent for me. Instead, I have learned what it means to be a member of a community, occasionally in spite of that community's best efforts to separate you. I have grown as a person, learned to stick up for my beliefs and take a stance, and I have solidified my own viewpoints through the challenges of others toward those stances I take. Saint Anselm has taught me how to believe in myself, though perhaps in spite of its actual aims. For me, college has been valuable not for the education aspect—most of the required classes and all of my classes as an English major have no practical application—but instead for the opportunity it has given me to interact with people in a controlled but still free environment. The value of my college experience lies in the personal relationships I have forged, and occasionally severed. I have made friends who will stick with me forever, and learned more about interacting with people than I would have expected. I've learned how to be human—which is invaluable.

I would advise against anyone with a tendency toward extreme liberality to attend if they don't want to be challenged constantly, particularly those of alternative religion, race, or sexual orientation. This is not a good school for non-Catholic, non-religious students who wish to major in liberal fields like the humanities, or don't enjoy heavy drinking. Students who wish to major in creative fields had best look elsewhere, but driven conservative youths with excellent work ethic and a penchant for the sciences might well excel here, as will many theology and philosophy majors with a Catholic background.

In general, if I have something positive to say about Saint Anselm College, I am discussing the marvelous English department. The experience I have had with them is unrivalled, and I would not give up my excellent professors for the world; in fact, the English department is the only reason I have remained at this school at all.

LaRayne

As a person with a learning disability, I was doubtful, and unconfident that I would have ever been able to attend college because of the limiting set backs I had experienced all through out grade school. When I finally went to college, I realized that that only I could cage myself if I allowed it. I had made it through my first year with excellent marks and realized that I can succeed if I believed in myself. I have gained alot of confidence, self worth, and more importantly, hope for the future . I am attending my second year, the first in my family to attend college. My family is very proud and I am proving to all those who ever made fun of me and doubted me that anyone can succeed, that if you work hard enough, you can do whatever you want. I used to hear that in high school and thought the saying “You can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it” was very corny and unrealistic, but I know now that it’s true. I'm excited to go back. Attending college has change my mind set for life in many good ways.

Courtney

My school is best known for student involvement in volunteer activities and the Benedictine hospitality. We pride ourselves on the sense of community.

I cannot thank the Saint Anselm College community enough for giving me all of the tools necessary to fulfill a successful and happy life. I cannot believe how much I have matured from the timid and insecure freshman moving onto campus just a few years ago. Saint Anselm College prides itself on the strong sense of community, derived from the Benedictine roots. Through this community I have gained the confidence needed to reach my personal goals. One of the policies of the college is anti grade inflation, which has given me true feeling of satisfaction for the well-earned grades I receive. As a liberal arts college, Saint A’s has a nationally recognized humanities program, “Portraits of Human Greatness”, which has given me the opportunity to analyze and reflect upon what it really means for a person to be ‘great’. Through my philosophy and theology requirements, I was able to contemplate aspects of life that I would have never touched upon in my biology courses as a Biology major. I have been blessed with a foundation upon which I further grow and mature in my future endeavors. The value of my experience at Saint Anselm College is irreplaceable.

What I brag about most is our cafeteria food because unlike most schools, it is homemade food. The food is amazing and the staff are incredibly friendly.

Saint Anselm College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.