Manchester, NH
Saint Anselm College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Anselm College

Since I have been attending college, I have gained many friends and a lot of wisdom that is invaluable. I am making a way for myself in the world with the knowledge I have obtained and I will use my skills to provide a better life for my family.

Kristin

They are very enthusiastic about learning and always look happy.

They are very enthusiastic about learning and always look happy.

College has been beyond what I could have ever imagined. I went to a very good private highschool and thought that I could never get an education as great as that, but I have at my school. I have a passion for the humanities and feel that I am learning truly about the human condition. I believe that everyone should study the Great Books in order to fully understand the past, present and future of the human experience. Not only have I found that I am gaining valuable knowledge and work ethic, but also some great friends that I wouldn't have been able to live without.

Probably more about how the meal plan and the housing worked.

Aleta

The environment of my school is vey small and personable, making it easier to learn. There are great internnship opportunities offered and there is a great carreer advisement center.

My college experience has led me to become more independent and it helped me figure out what I want in my life (both career and personal goals). Participating in community service oportunities at my school has opened my eyes to public service. I now see that gving back to the community is important and want to do so even when I am a lawyer. When I vonunteer with other students, it increases our sense of community and the friendships I will have forever.

Deanamarie

Be flexible. A lot of things change when you go to college: people, living situation, attitudes, etc. Nothing is set in stone because there are so many people all living their own lives in a little place. Be flexible to what people say to you, don't take everything at face value and don't disbelieve everything either. Learn to be able to try to distinguish truth from life. Above all, stay true to yourself. People will try to change you, even say your view-point is stuipid if they don't agree, but if you believe it, then that's what matters. Don't let people change who you are at the core of your being. Especially when it comes to religion and politics-- show someone you are weak or uncertain in those area's, and they pound on you unmercifully. Be strong in your convictions and what you believe in.

If you are into art, stay away from Saint A's. Most of the art classes and art programs offered are really intro/beginner level (same with photography). If you want to study art, this college is not the one for you.

jonathan

they are not judgemental and very easy to talk to. if i need help or have questions i wouldnt feel akward asking.

Jon, being in the position you are in now, id know that telling you to improve your grades would be pointless. You did get a GPA of 3.8 your senior year but the three years before that really hurt your cumulative. Don't worry about that though. right now just concentrate on improving your writing skills as this is very important in this college. You are working full-time in conjunction with school to pay for gas etc., you will need to save any extra money. you will also continue to work while attending college in order to commute so saving is key. Transitioning into this school is going to be easy so dont get worried and distracted about not making it. Instead focus on writing as i previously said, as that really is your weak point and will make getting grades above a C+ very difficult. keep up the good academic work and dont be so hard on yourself, good luck.

the dgree i will be getting. for criminal justice my school is well know to be the best locally.

Erin

College is a fun and exciting time. You are on your own, separated from your parents, but you still have a community of peers experiencing the same situation to help you through. You have all sorts of freedom. You can do what you want and your parents cannot do anything about it. Though you have that freedom just remember that you are in school and that should be your first priority. With freedom comes responsibility. Sure you can eat ice cream for every meal, but it will make you sick and rot your teeth. Staying up until three in the morning with friends can be fun, but what about that class at eight in the morning? Remember that college is preparing you for the rest of your life. Have fun, but be responsible.

Besides the fact that Saint Anselm College is built on a hill and can be hazardous in the winter, one thing that can be a bit overwhelming is the size of the school. Though a smaller school means smaller classes and more professor/student interaction, it also means more drama on campus. As if college wasn?t hard enough, you have to deal with high school drama. The drama produces extra stress that is not needed when you have five courses a semester, two three hour labs, and recitation.

Saint Anselm College is a unique school. It is a small Benedictine Liberal Arts college that strictly obeys the bell curve system of grading. Saint Anselm College is a very challenging and competitive school, and pushes students to do their best. It is not a school for someone who does not have an open mind when it comes to thinking in a new way, nor is it a school for someone who wants a quick and to the point degree in their field.

Zachary

Intellectual superiorty meets religious supremecy.

Intellectual superiorty meets religious supremecy.

This is your chance: it doesn?t matter who you were in high school, the choices you made or failed to make, the grades, the social pressures, the mistakes; this is a fresh start to be who you've grown to become. Over the past four years you worked hard and endlessly to get the grades to get you to this next stage of your life; you graduated from high school, you passed the bar, you made it into higher education and from this point forward you've entered a true sense of the real life. Be hopeful, but also realistic; you'll make friends, friends who you will have for life, but you'll also meet people who will consider you their enemy, their rival, and don't let that phase you. You cannot and will not be loved by everyone, and if you are, than you aren't being true to yourself. Remember why you're there; focus on grades, but balance social interaction. Finally, and most importantly, never forget that we live only once and die for such a very long time.

One who is open to new ideas and pursuit of a higher form of spiritual, intellectual and moral thinking.

I liked the small enclosed campus and I can meet and get to know more people in a smaller setting. I enjoy hanging out in the different dorm settings. We also have a coffee shop on campus where my friends and I hang out.

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior ,I would talk about how to be yourself and don't try to impress anyone, because you will make friends ,who are real friends ,who will stick by you. I would tell myself not to get worked up and nervous because there are people exactly like you in that position. If you can be true to yourself than everything else will fall into place. Most importantly,just relax these are the best years of your life. If you can do all your work and still manage to fit in some fun ,whether it's sports or community service, or just hanging out with friends, then you will be a better person for it

I think the best thing about the school is the learning enviroment. I find it much easier to learn in a small classroom setting rather than the lecture halls. I also feel that because of this enviroment I get to know the professors on a friendlier level. I am not just another student in the class. They know me by name and I can go for help whenever I need it

John

It's grading policy stated above. The school's nickname is St. A's , but students call it St. C's

As an athlete, I would simply tell myself that in college, you are a student-athlete. The student comes first for a reason. There is no real off-season in college (I play baseball and we play our season in the spring, but we also play in the fall and have mandatory winter workouts). It is important to stay on top of your courseload and manage time wisely because there is so little time to get things done at the last minute as a student athlete. I think I would have told myself that in order to prepare me for what I went through and learned freshman year.

The grading curve. My school is very academically challenging and with the grading curve, working really hard may only get you a C, which turns out to be a 2.0. It seems unfair when my friends bring home higher GPAs, when I am working harder than them in my classes.

Cameron

Full disclosure: I am tranferring out of Saint Anslem. Also, nothing I say here pertains to the nursing program St A's is run by Benedictine monks. You see them walking around campus. Monks aren't particularly common nowadays, so it's a little unusual. The school is kind of isolated-- there's nothing within walking distance (it's in a residential area). Manchester is a 10-minute bus ride away, but there's not much going on there either. And they really, really love philosophy here.

This school has the most homogenous population I have ever seen. There are a handful of black football players, a smattering of Asians, and one or two Muslims. The rest are white, Catholic, relatively wealthy, and from New England. The majority come from private Catholic high schools. I've met more than one person who has never met a vegetarian before. There is not much of a LGBT community here. "Gay" gets used to describe negative things (this made an impression on me because where I'm from it is never used that way). That being said, people are very accepting of the 3 or 4 gay/lesbian students on campus. The kids here are really nice to each other, which is refreshing after the catty high school years.

It may sound silly, but it is important to remember that this is a RELIGIOUS school. Have been in public school my whole life, this kind of caught me off guard. The campus is definitely in its own little bubble, which some people may find comforting but others find stifling. The campus is extremely safe. You can leave your clothes in the dryer and no one will take them. People will leave their bags unattended in public areas, and no one touches them. Walking around campus at night is not a dangerous activity, unless you slip and fall on the big hill.

The professors here definitely know your name. The classes tend to be pretty small, and they're even smaller if your in the honors program. I don't personally find them particularly rigorous, but I know there are many who would disagree. Academic conversations do not take place outside of class, and the students are not at all competitive. St A's does have a reputation for grade deflation (hence the nickname St C's). It is not something I have experienced, but I have heard professors talk about it. All the professors I have right now do not go along with it. Something that is very important to realize before you go to St A's is the requirements. You have to do their 2-year humanities program, which consists of 2 lectures and 2 seminars every week (for a total of 4 days a week of humanities). You are also required to take 3 semesters of philosophy and 3 of theology. One of your theology classes has to be Biblical Theology. Yes, Bib Theo is a REQUIRED class. You are also required to take at least 2 semesters of a foreign language beyond elementary level. As a senior in college you are still taking classes to fill these requirements. And then you have any requirements for your major. Politics are important here, and I think there are a lot of opportunities for politics majors. But I wouldn't say the students are politically active.

There really isn't a lot to do here on weekends if you're not into partying/drinking. The school has been making an effort to provide more alternatives, though. Free skate night is great; a ton of people go. Last time, they ran out of skates. Community service is another really big thing here. Spring Break Alternative (SBA) has students spend the week of spring break doing various community service projects at sites around the country, and it has a couple hundred participants. Jazz band and the choir seem pretty popular. Guest speakers get no attendence at all unless a professor offers extra credit for attending. St A's has a strict intervisitation policy. On weeknights, members of the opposite sex have to be out of the building by 11. On weekends it's 2 am. You have to sign into the building and leave an ID, and when it's time the RAs come and hunt you down. This is especially frustrating if you want to have visitors from out town. Where are they supposed to sleep? In their car? The dinig hall closes really early: 7 during the week and 6 on weekends. They do have the Coffee Shop, though, and that is open until midnight. The food is really, really good, and they have a nice selection of vegetarian options. The meal plan here is per item instead of per meal. I think you get roughly $2000 per semester.

I honestly haven't heard any. I don't think the school is well-known enough to have stereotypes.

Saint Anselm College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.