Manchester, NH

Saint Anselm College

« See more reviews of Saint Anselm College

I cannot thank the Saint Anselm College community enough for giving me all of the tools necessary to fulfill a successful and happy life. I cannot believe how much I have matured from the timid and insecure freshman moving onto campus just a few years ago. Saint Anselm College prides itself on the strong sense of community, derived from the Benedictine roots. Through this community I have gained the confidence needed to reach my personal goals. One of the policies of the college is anti grade inflation, which has given me true feeling of satisfaction for the well-earned grades I receive. As a liberal arts college, Saint A’s has a nationally recognized humanities program, “Portraits of Human Greatness”, which has given me the opportunity to analyze and reflect upon what it really means for a person to be ‘great’. Through my philosophy and theology requirements, I was able to contemplate aspects of life that I would have never touched upon in my biology courses as a Biology major. I have been blessed with a foundation upon which I further grow and mature in my future endeavors. The value of my experience at Saint Anselm College is irreplaceable.

Take the time to reflect on the type of person that you are and the individual that you wish to become. At each potential college ask yourself a series of the same questions and answer them honestly. Do your answers coincide with who you are and who you wish to become? Try to stay focused without putting too much pressure on yourself to find the "perfect fit". College is about adjusting, about discovering, and about leaving as a more defined, more educated person than when you arrived as a freshman. You may not find the perfect fit; don't feel like a failure. Choose the school that best meets your desires and needs. Remember that your college experience, as with any experience in life will come alive and produce fruits based upon your interaction with them and the energy you decide to give. You may wind up attending the school that was last on your list (I did) but it will be okay. Sometimes not getting what you think you wanted results in an unexpected gain. Try to relax and enjoy the possibilities that each school could have for you. Whatever your school, make your experience count for yourself.

I suppose most of what I have learned from Saint Anselm isn't academic, though the academic experience has overall been excellent for me. Instead, I have learned what it means to be a member of a community, occasionally in spite of that community's best efforts to separate you. I have grown as a person, learned to stick up for my beliefs and take a stance, and I have solidified my own viewpoints through the challenges of others toward those stances I take. Saint Anselm has taught me how to believe in myself, though perhaps in spite of its actual aims. For me, college has been valuable not for the education aspect—most of the required classes and all of my classes as an English major have no practical application—but instead for the opportunity it has given me to interact with people in a controlled but still free environment. The value of my college experience lies in the personal relationships I have forged, and occasionally severed. I have made friends who will stick with me forever, and learned more about interacting with people than I would have expected. I've learned how to be human—which is invaluable.

I would recommend that the student takes over night visits to certain colleges that they are interested in. Overnight visits inform the student about that particular college and he or she will get a better grasp of what the college is like. I would also recommend that the parents bring their child to all different types of school: big, small, medium, city, rural, far from home, or close to home. Campus tours are the best way to become familiar with a college and it helps the student learn about the atmosphere and teaching environment. From various tours the student will be able to determine what they want in a collge. The student must also distinguish what they want from their college experience. Do they want to party, get involved, be prepared for their future etc.? After determining what the student is looking for in a collge, then the student needs to look at the colleges they have visited and find out if that collge offers what the student wants. To conclude, there is always going to be a college that is fit for every individual student. The parent and student just needs to find that perfect fit!

My high school self would have liked to know a few things about college life. For example, don't give away your roomcode if you don't want your friends running into your room at 3 AM screaming. Avoid sunday night showers that haven't been cleaned since friday morning. Essays definitely shouldn't be written 6 hours before they are due. And finally, boys only have two things on their minds: sex and the amount of money left on their meal plan. When you're caught up in the excitement and anxiety of transitioning into college these are overlooked. You might also overlook crucial pieces of the "Big Picture." Like the importance of finding friends you can party with on saturday nights and respect on monday mornings. How you shouldn't waste any weekends but you shouldn't get wasted every weekend because you're only a freshmen and you should respect your body. How procrastination will get you nowhere but exhausting all-nighters. How boys will break your heart if you aren't careful. College isn't just education for your future career, its experience for the rest of your life and not to be taken for granted.

First, what are your interests and do those interests coincide with a career? If so, then you are one of the lucky few who have it all figured out. However, make sure that the school you select offers a good internship program in your senior year. Internships are not as ominous as you think; they are the key to landing your first job. Secondly, if you do not have a career in mind yet, then that's okay. The transition from high school to college is bigger than you think, so consider community college to narrow down your interests and save money. You will be kicking yourself if you spend the first year or two at an expensive school trying to figure out what you want to do. Even if you are lucky enough to find it, then it is unlikely that you will graduate in four years anyway. Furthermore, can you succeed in a classroom with one hundred others? Or would you prefer a smaller student to teacher ratio? Think about it before you select the school that is right for you. Lastly, maintain a balance between work and fun; too much of either is rarely a good thing.

First of all I think parents need to show their children many different opptions of schools, but should not tell the student what their first choice for them is. Second every student needs to determine what the most important thing about the college is to them. If they know that they want a small school focus in on small schools. If it's a certain major then focus on schools that are strong in that major. Saint Anselm college is a perfect example I wanted something somewhat small and that had a good politics program. When I made my decision I based it off what the fact that th program was really good. Now college is really what you make of it. If you want to party you will find the parties, if you want great work experiences you will find that too no matter where you go. You need to get involved and be active in this new community it is your community until you graduate and you need to own it. That's whate makes a college's alumni so faithful and supportive. With strong Alumni networks you will be giving more students opportunities they never dreamed of!

I think the most important thing that you can do in looking at colleges is to ask a lot of questions, and not just to your tour guide or admissions officer. Find people who go to the school, even if you pull students aside during a tour, and ask them whatever questions you have. You can expect more of an honest response from them. It's also important to make sure you get a feel for not only the school itself, but the type of student who goes there. You don't want to be an artsy student at a school full of preppy business majors. Also, if you have a specific career goal in mind, find the school with the best program for that. The social scene is less important than being adequately trained in your field. If you're still choosing between programs, make sure you take into consideration that the schools you're looking at offer all of the programs you're considering. If you really have no idea what you want to do, look at schools with a wide range of majors. You don't want to limit yourself because of the school you chose.

I would tell the parents to relax and let their kids find the right school for them. It will be hard to adjust but remember they gave their kids the tools they need to get by in life now its their child's turn to implement those tools. I would tell the students that finding the right college may be difficult but it's not impossible. Make a choice based on your gut feeling and then go into it with an open mind. Be willing to meet new people and try new things. The most random experiences tend to be the ones they'll always remember. I would also tell the kids to not forget about their parents and remember where they came from. Campus life can be hard at times and staying connected to home will definately help keep them grounded. Another thing I would impress upon is the fact that there are so many things to do on campus and people to meet so don't get stuck in the same humdrum pattern for all four years. Be spontaneous and always smile, it'll attract people to you. Finally, enjoy every minute of it, it goes by fast!

As a person with a learning disability, I was doubtful, and unconfident that I would have ever been able to attend college because of the limiting set backs I had experienced all through out grade school. When I finally went to college, I realized that that only I could cage myself if I allowed it. I had made it through my first year with excellent marks and realized that I can succeed if I believed in myself. I have gained alot of confidence, self worth, and more importantly, hope for the future . I am attending my second year, the first in my family to attend college. My family is very proud and I am proving to all those who ever made fun of me and doubted me that anyone can succeed, that if you work hard enough, you can do whatever you want. I used to hear that in high school and thought the saying “You can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it” was very corny and unrealistic, but I know now that it’s true. I'm excited to go back. Attending college has change my mind set for life in many good ways.