Rochester, NY
Saint John Fisher College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint John Fisher College

Madison

I love it at St. John Fisher. I could not imagine myself attending anywhere else. Going here was the best decision I have ever made. I've made lifelong friends and so many memories to go along with it. It will always have a special place in my heart.

jahmelia

The advice I would give to myself is dont get deterrred by rejection. Don't give up no matter what. With life comes trials and tribulations. Always always always follow you first mind, gut and heart. Never let anyone make you feel as if you dont belong or are unwanted. Whoever you allow into your life will either build you up or try to tear you down take it as a lesson learned. Your education is something that no one coule EVER take from you.

Julia

Fisher is known for a multitude of things around NY and Rochester: 1. The Buffalo Bills Training Camp 2. Wegmans School of Nursing/Pharmacy 3. Football 4. The student population is predominantly white, high middle class. 5. The amazing food in the dining hall.

I would tell myself to be more selfish. College is the best time of a young person's life (so cliché, but true), and you can't let other people control your experience or happiness. As important as it is to listen to your friends, it's more important to listen to yourself. I have never regretted a decision I made on my own, but I have regretted a decision I made based on other people's opinions. I would shake my high school self and say, "Don't let the opinions of others determine your path, be an individual and leave your own mark. Most importantly, do what makes you happy. You'll always be there for yourself, but others might not be so lucky."

The best thing about Fisher is the small class sizes. During my undergrad studies I got to know my professors on a more personal level, which helped me get a job right after graduation. There's also a pretty strong alumni network, and we all help eachother out.

Kaylee

My classmates are all veryfriendly, hard-working, and determined to reach their goals just like me.

Do not stress about adapting to a new environment and living on campus. Living in Murphy Hall is not as bad as everybody says. It is actually a great place to live because you become friends with everyone! Also, management your time wisely because there will be a lot of work you need to do outside of class on top of maintaining a work study job and having somewhat of a social life. Lastly, get involved on campus. It is a great way to make new friends and have fun while you're here. Again, do not stress. Everything ends up working out in the end.

I love the fact that the campus is small and the class sizes are small because you actually get to know everyone on campus. With the small campus you can get to know your professors on a more personal level; you are more than just a number to them. They know your name, what your aspirations are after graduation and are some of the most helpful people you will ever meet.

Janelle

Any person who focusses on their social life more than academic life should not attend Saint John Fisher College. Saint John Fisher College puts the most emphasis on academics, and students are required to remain focussed to do well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of off campus transportation. The city bus is the only access to downtown, and the campus shuttle only takes students to two designated shopping plazas. This makes freshman year particularly difficult, as they are not allowed cars their first year. For upperclassmen, you need to have a car to be able to get anywhere else in Rochester.

Allison

My current college is exactly what I was looking for;it is on the small side, friendly, and has the perfect major for me.

Ally, don't stress about your college decision! You were upset that you didn't feel ready to go away to school. Junior college is a good option for you and getting really involved in campus life helps make the experience more enjoyable. By the time you are finished at Monroe Community College, you will not only finish your Associates Degree, you'll do it less expensively. Transferring to St. John Fisher may be a little stressful due to the cost of a private college, but you'll find exactly the right environment and major that you've been looking for. Don't let your friends' decisions influence what's right for you. Everyone has their own path to follow. Listen to your instincts and don't be afraid to visit your advisor a few times each semester, it will help to assure you that you're still on the right path to your degree.

I have already bragged that St. John Fisher has the perfect combination of academics and social activities.

Uwa

Dear high school senior self, You have your whole life ahead of you now. I know you may have gotten used to being at the top as a high school senior for the past year but be prepared for a major culture shock when headed to college. Do not be afraid to talk and interact with people that may seem a little different than you, - they may turn out to be your lifelong friends. Prepare yourself to be challenged academically, socially, financially and personally by friends, family, classmates and professors. Some say high school is the time of your life but college is an even better journey. College is the place you learn more about yourself and about the world around you. The daunting transition from being a high school student to a college student will not be as bad as long as you maintain an open-mind and more importantly, an open heart. Be a good friend and a good listener. Help those less fortunate than you and encourage others by letting them know that they too can go to college no matter the obstacles. And remember discovering who you are is a process!

The Buffalo Bills training came is at this school!

Alissa

I'm definitely glad that I decided to go to St. John Fisher. One of my main concerns was the size of the campus since I had graduated from a smaller high school. Fisher is the perfect size for me. The small size means that you'll usually know at least one or two people in your classes and always recognize a handful of students walking around campus. The campus is small enough that you can get anywhere in around 10 minutes but also big enough that there are always places to get away for some study time or getting together with friends. There is a blue light system set up so that no matter where you are on campus, help is just a button push away. However, there has never been a time where I have felt scared on campus. Although there aren't really any places within walking distance of St. John Fisher, there are free bus passes available from the Bookstore. There is also a free weekend shuttle that can take students to the mall. Fisher is a small campus but they work very hard to give students all of the benefits of a "college towns."

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Fisher because of the size. I was definitely looking for a smaller school and Fisher had an amount of students that worked for me. I also wanted to go away to school but not too far away. Fisher is only about an hour and 20 minutes or so away from where I live so, again, Fisher just worked out well for the things I was looking for in a school. Obviously it helps that Fisher has a good academic reputation as well.

Some of the most popular student activities are the sports teams. Although Fisher is a smaller school, there are numerous teams and club sports that both men and women can participate in. Since there are also club teams, people can participate in sports without the time consuming commitment that most college level athletics demand. Some of the most active clubs on campus are the Student Government Association and the Student Activities Board. Both clubs put on a multitude of activities and there is usually something happening every weekend. SAB also co-sponsors weekend trips once a semester to somewhere like Boston or Ceder Point for a very low price. There are also many major specific clubs like the Biology Club, the English Club, and the Anthropology Club. These clubs are much smaller than the other clubs on campus but, at the same time, they put on events that draw a more specific crowd which would include people that probably share similar interests to you.

The students at Fisher are very friendly and accepting of all types of people. There are numerous clubs on campus supporting the diverse population. There are events showcasing these clubs, and the campus reacts positively to all of them. There are students from different religious backgrounds and different socio-economic groups. None of these differences seem to have an influence on how everyone interacts. Students interact with each other regardless of religious affiliation or sexual orientation. The only type of person who would feel out of place among the Fisher population is someone who is close minded.

The academics at Fisher are definitely a handful. If you don't do something that you enjoy, it will probably be extremely difficult to excel. Since Fisher is a liberal arts school, it is required that all students take a variety of classes. This is great for discovering what you're really interested in. I originally did not plan on being an English Literature and Anthropology major with a minor in Classical Studies. I came to Fisher undeclared and only decided on my majors and minor after really enjoying the classes that I had taken.The English and Anthropology departments at Fisher are small enough that you will often have classes with people that you already know and are comfortable around. The professors take time to get to know your name and will often talk to you in the hallway even after the semester is over. They are friendly and it is very easy to set up meetings with them outside of class. Fisher also has an Honors program that you can apply to. They require you to take four additional classes throughout your Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years, but they tend to be very unique since they are exclusive to the Honors program and not one field of study.

The stereotype at St. John Fisher is that the students are diverse, welcoming, and studious. Fisher is very big on promoting diversity with all of the different clubs and activities available. If there isn't already a club for something, Fisher is great about starting something new. Most students fit the welcoming stereotype if you are open to meeting new people. Starting conversations before class is normal and, although bumping into people in the dining is expected, it is usually followed by a smile and a quick apology instead of the terrifying repercussions that Mean Girls would suggest. Fisher is a very studious campus, but that doesn't mean that there isn't anything fun to do on campus. There are a wide variety of events going on all the time and it's easy to find something to do when you just need a break from studying and homework.

Chelsea

St. John Fisher College is a great school if you like small schools and you like to know a lot of the student body. I think that the best thing about Fisher is that it is so easy to get to know people--which includes student and faculty--and you do not feel lost in the crowd. Although for some people I can definitely see this being a downside. One thing people will say when you tell them that you go to Fisher is "Isn't that where the Buffalo Bills practice?" So a lot of people know the campus already. Another upside to Fisher is that many people around Rochester either have gone to Fisher or know someone who does, which is a major help when you are applying for jobs in the area. There is a major downside and that is if you are a commuter, parking is a real pain especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is something most students are complaining about, so one thing I am hoping that they do is make more parking spots. It is very easy to get involved in clubs on campus since there are so many, but unfortunately most clubs have a small turnout of members. I personally spend most of my time on campus either in one of the cafes or in the school newspaper and magazine office because I am an editor. At night a lot of people hang out at the Fishbowl, which is a place on campus where you can get food, sit around with friends and watch television. Most people find out their hangout place once they've made a few friends. To get to downtown, or really anywhere to hang out off-campus you do have to drive, but there are a lot of good hang out places and places to go out at night to in Rochester. One issue I have with the school's administration is that there is no update on big decisions being made to the student population. We only hear about certain things once the decision has been made, which I find to be unfair. Most recently, our school is building a School of Business which a lot of students are reacting negatively to, saying that we don't have the parking for the new students it will bring in and some buildings that were holding student offices are being torn down and the offices are being relocated. A lot of people seem relatively proud to go to Fisher. We generally have a good turnout at our football games and almost every single person is wearing some sort of Fisher paraphernalia daily. I think one thing I will always remember is just how many events are held at Fisher. When we have Fall Fest we usually have bounce houses, sumo-wrestling, bubble races (where you are put inside of a giant bubble and race each other) and you can play games, win prizes and feel like you're at an amusement park. Some events have no expenses spared, and the bingo nights generally have a few prizes like an Xbox or an iPod or a GPS. If you get involved, Fisher can be a really great place.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Fisher was a small school and I liked the idea of that. I also loved the campus and all of the activities available to students.

We have some major student groups. We have SAB (Student Activities Board) which hosts many of the major events we have on campus. We also have Commuter Council, which hosts a lot of off-campus events for commuter students. There is Fisher Players, which is the theater club, and gets a lot of participation for their fall musical and spring play. We get a lot of guest speakers and have a lot of athletic events, but most do not get too many people attending, besides the football team. I am a part of the school newspaper, the Cardinal Courier. I am the Lifestyles section editor. I am also the Editor in Chief of the school magazine, C-Magazine. I have been the president of English Club and I have been a part of several other clubs on campus, including Fisher Players. A lot of people date others that go to Fisher, and many of them stay together after college if they lasted the whole time. I met most of my friends by meeting them in the dorms or at events on campus. During the week, most students hang out with their friends until late and then go back to their dorms and do homework until 1-2 am. People go out on Thursday nights and on the weekends, almost every weekend. We do not have fraternities and sororities on campus, which is something I like. A lot of students go bowling on the weekends, or they go out and get coffee at one of the cafes around Rochester. A lot of people also go to the mall which is about 10 minutes away. Students also go to the movies. Both the movies and the mall have a shuttle. I personally hang out with friends off campus at the mall, at someone's apartment, or we go bowling or putt putt. Bars like The Old Toad have really good food and you don't need to be 21 to go in and you don't need to drink if you are 21.

We do have a variety of races, religions and students of different sexual orientations, but many of the students are in fact white, Christian and straight. This is not to say that this is 90%, but those are the majority. There is an LGBT club on campus, and even clubs called Black Student Union, Asian Student Union, and a Muslim Student Union. I think these clubs are great for anyone feeling left out. The LGBT club hosts a big Drag Show every year which is a lot of fun. Most students either dress up really nice for class, or they wear sweatpants and a Northface or a hoodie. Everyone dresses up very nice for presentations though, which I know is not the case at most schools. Most students in the dining hall sit with their friends from either their major or friends from their dorms. Most of the students in Fisher are from within 75 miles of Rochester, and many of them are middle-class to upper middle-class, though there are a lot of students in the HEOP program that are not very wealthy and many of whom are from NYC. Most students are very politically aware and many are more aware than most about what is going on in the world news, not just the U.S. news. I think that we have a good balance of left-wing and right-wing students. Many students are very career-oriented and are very concerned about what kind of job they will get when they leave college.

The one great thing about Fisher is that professors that you only had once Freshman year or have never had but interacted with know your name. You are required to take certain core classes, which range from sciences to arts. I took some pretty awesome classes that counted towards me graduating but weren't necessarily part of my English major, two of which were a science class about fungi, and an acting class, both of which were incredibly fun and very different than any course you would expect to take. I have taken some bad classes, but they have been unavoidable, though I would recommend looking at ratemyprofessors.com before taking a class with a professor you haven't heard about. There are definitely some classes that are a waste of time and money, even if they are an easy A. The thing about Fisher is that though the students party on weekends, there is a big dedication to studying and doing well. For the last month and a half of school it is impossible to even sit at the library. Class participation varies from class to class, but because the classes are so small (avg. 18-20), students are generally obligated to speak and if they don't it is fairly noticeable so most students manage at least one comment a class, if not more. Most professors are readily available outside of class as well, so it is not hard to get a good grade if you put in the effort. Also, a lot of students are fairly competitive with their grades, and it often makes it more intense when professors sometimes offer rewards to the highest test score. The English department is relatively small, but all of the professors really care, and they all make sure to get to know the English majors by having field trips or picnics reserved for the English majors. I am also a Communication / Journalism minor and the professors in that department are equally as dedicated. They even finance the school newspaper and magazine so that we are not obligated to censor them if we write something controversial about the school. I think that some of the core classes are a waste of time, but they can be fun if you choose the right ones. However, when it comes to getting a job, the entire school seems extremely dedicated towards getting you a job. Some majors require that you do an internship, and the Career Center is very helpful with building resumes. I am an English major and Fisher made me feel like I would be able to find a job because they are so career-oriented.

The stereotype at Fisher is generally preppy students. I would say that for the most part this is accurate, but there are certainly some exceptions, as is to be expected.

Overall, I like that Fisher is small and central - college is overwhelming enough without factoring in an enormous campus to navigate! Because it is so small in comparison to other campuses, I feel safe walking back from night classes and by myself when necessary. As a junior preparing to graduate in a little over a short year, most of all I will miss my professors. I have had wonderful mentors in my English and Philosophy fields of study, and I will truly miss those classes that were so much more fun than they were work!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Basically, if you want to be involved, there is plenty of opportunity to do so... but if not, no sweat! Fisher is not really a sports-centered school, but at the same time offers a variety of options for enthusiasts; football (of course), lacrosse, even golf (on Fisher's own course). Events are usually not packed, unless is is a traditional game such as the Courage Bowl, which usually draws a pretty decent crowd. Any 'pre-gaming' is out of sight, if at all - students are mostly there simply to support their friends and teammates.

What's the Greek scene like?

Fisher does not currently (and hasn't in the past, that I am aware of) hosted fraternity or sorority life.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The upper deck in Lavery Library... it is always hush, and even when it is not, you can rent for a length of time a privacy room fully stocked with a desk, lamp, internet connection and all the room you need to spread out. Try to avoid studying in the Kearney computer lab, or in a noisy dorm lounge - they are 24/7, so they are always filled and busy with chatter!

Describe the dorms.

What your dorm will look like depends on your class year; Freshman are most likely to be tripled in one of the older dorms (such as Ward or Haffey), and do not select their own roommates. You can apply to be de-tripled, and the list order follows on a "first come, first serve" basis. My freshman year, I was tripled on the third floor of Ward with two other ladies, and shared a conjoined bathroom with two other ladies next door. We were pretty squished, having to bunk our beds and make room for under-bed storage, but we made do, and soon enough it was mid-semester and we were able to be de-tripled. All of the cabin fever ultimately led to me making a friend for life, so although it was a bit uncomfortable for a while, it was worth it! Most of the dorms have heating and cooling in the rooms, flat carpeting, a standard desk, dresser, closet, and chair, and large, draped sliding windows. The nicest dorm on campus (usually only open to upperclassmen, Juniors and Seniors) is Founders, which is like a swanky hotel inside, red plush couches and all. I have lived in Ward, Keough, Michaelhouse, and Founders, and prefer Keough and Founders best... the lounges are better stocked, more spacious, and the rooms are a touch nicer, overall.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I ultimately choose my school because of the small, community size. Sometimes students complain that it it boring, or there is nothing to do on campus (and most partiers go off campus to local clubs or rival schools), but as far as an academic atmosphere where you can legitimately learn and grow, it is stellar. Teachers know you by name rather than by number, soon enough practically every face on campus is a familiar one; I even know many of the members of the maintenance staff by name! The small class sizes allow your voice to be heard, but your teachers also know exactly who is in class, so don't sleep in too often!

What are your classes like?

Challenging, but in a good way. If you have a thought of a class you'd like to take, chances are it is offered at Fisher. This semester I took Reading Gender, which was geared towards looking at media artifacts through a rhetorical lens of different gender, sexuality, racial, and political biases. Next semester I'll be taking one of my first Art classes called "Picturing the Past", which will examine basically how a picture can "say 1000 words" as the expression goes. I'm sure it will be as intensive as my Reading Gender class was, but hopefully equally just as fun!

Most students who are involved with something to do with traditional campus life participate in sporting events - the biggest event being the Courage Bowl, attended by a decent number of students from both Fisher and the rival college. Honestly though, few students actively seek out other clubs - between school, work, and family, few have the free-time to devote to another outlet. It is not uncommon for students to do the majority of their platonic and romantic networking online, as Fisher's small pool to select from can be both wonderful academically speaking yet suffocating, personally speaking. I live both on and off campus, holding a dorm as well as an apartment with my partner, and it is difficult to make deep personal connections when I am so nomadic and busy! Weeks are devoted to schoolwork, and weekends are devoted to working doubles at my part-time job, and this seems to be pretty typical for many of my peers as well.

While it is assumed that because of the Christian tradition Fisher follows and encourages that the school discourages sexual diversity, that is not necessarily true. There are numerous clubs and organizations that students can get involved in that promote sexual diversity, including a bi-annual drag show held every year that is always a huge hit. Students split somewhat along racial lines, but not always. There is however an overwhelmingly low number of "alternative" students on campus, and this can be somewhat uncomfortable for anyone who walks a little on the wild side. Most students are "preppy", middle class and center, politically.

Academics at Fisher are challenging, for sure. It is not a party school in the slightest, and prospective students should be prepared for long nights and early mornings! No matter what degree you choose to pursue, you will have to take a minimum of 15 credits a semester in order to graduate on time, which can be quite a heavy load to take on while balancing a part-time job and a family life as well. However, student's efforts do pay off - classes are generally small, which leads to personalized instruction and excellent class discussions. The selectivity of Fisher ensures that you are surrounded by peers that challenge you and encourage you to bring your best to class every day. It is competitive, but not overwhelmingly so. Because of the variety of fields you can choose to study (a loose liberal arts degree, or a more focused path, such as Nursing, Education or Business), you have the choice of whether you are attending college to fulfill the requirements for a prospective job application, or simply for the sake of education I originally was declared as an Education major, but switched halfway through freshman year to an English major with a concentration in literature and a double minor in Philosophy and Women & Gender Studies. English has always impassioned me, but it was my experiences with Dr. Cunningham from the Gender department and Dr. Lowe from the Philosophy department that encouraged me to broaden my studies. The most unique class I have taken to date was "Intro to Queer Studies" with Cunningham, which was focused around an introduction to Queer texts through a genre lens. I had the opportunity to read things I likely would have not found on my own otherwise and was provoked to think about relevant issues current in the news and streets.

The predominant stereotype is that Fisher students are preppy, spoiled kids from wealthy families. I consider myself a member of the 'Goth' subculture, and was prepared to feel slightly out of place at times because of this at Fisher. While it is true that the majority of Fisher students could be considered "preppy", never once has my aesthetic choices or different lifestyle posed an issue with my classmates or instructors while at Fisher - the primary concentration is always on education first. I have made some excellent, lifelong friends - in fact, my "preppy" freshman roommate is now my very best friend.

Saint John Fisher College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.