Rochester, NY
Saint John Fisher College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint John Fisher College

Catherine

At Saint John Fisher, there is a strong feeling of community. The first time I visited the campus I was overwhelmed with a feeling of comfort and belonging. My classes are small and intimate so I can easily form relationships with my professors and my peers. At Fisher, I know that I am not just a number on a list of students. making it easier to get the help I need outside of class. The small community feel of Saint John Fisher has made me comfortable enough that the transition to college was as smooth as possible.

Looking back on my high school experience, there are only a few details I am uncomfortable with that I would love to go back and advise myself differently. In high school I closed myself off from my peers by becoming too dependent on my small group of friends. I was so comfortable having the friends I had that I had little motivation to open up to other students or teachers. Making the decision to go to college was one of the best I ever made. Not only will it help support my future, but it gave me the chance to change a part of who I was in the past. I was placed in an environment that took me away from my friends, forcing me to become a member of a new community. After spending a semester in college, I have changed a great deal and wish that I could go back and tell myself how much better I feel about myself now that I have allowed myself to open up to others, and become involved in a community.

A person should be looking for a small, community based camps. They should have an interest in joining campus activities and being involved on campus.

My classmates are very diverse but usually respectful of their peers.

My classmates are very diverse but usually respectful of their peers.

I would tell myself to find out which study techniques work best for me, practice working in groups even more than I did in high school, and regulate my sleep pattern. Knowing how to study is extremely important in college since no one tells you what to do. Most classes involve some type of group project, so you better know how to cooperate with other people efficiently. And lastly, you never get enough sleep in college, so you need to make a schedule for yourself so that you have time to get a sufficient and healthy amount of sleep since sleep deprivation can make you ill if you're not careful.

The location of the school because nothing off-campus is within walking distance.

Shannon

Before choosing a college I would tell students to actually sit down and look at the college. I picked my college because I wanted to play a sport, and now I cant handle the sport and my work load. I feel if I had chosen a school that I liked based off of their program that I might be happier (and a little richer). For parents I would say consider how much debt a school is going to either make you or your child in after they have graduated, sometimes its a lot. But most of all I would say for both parents and students find a college that you just feel right at and that you think you can call your second home.

It is so small that word travels fast and everyone knows everyone elses business. Also it is so expensive which is hard when you're putting yourself through school.

A person who can handle small campus life and someone who comes from money and doesnt have to worry about money issues all the time.

St. John Fisher College is friendly, expensive, academically supportive and there are always activities to get students involved both on and off campus.

Based on personal experience, I would say that it is very important for both parents and students to be comfortable with the size and location of the school. In regards to finding the right college, I believe it is most important to begin looking for schools that are in proportion to the size and hometown of the student?s former high school. This was important to me because I attended a very small high school, and lived in a very small town, therefore I decided to enroll in a fairly small college in a fairly small town and it turned out to be a perfect match for me. In terms of making the most of one?s college experience, I would definitely suggest embracing the campus atmosphere. Become involved on campus, whether this includes participating in a work study job, joining a club, or playing a sport. Another strong suggestion I would have is to live in the dormitories at least one semester. This is very important because it builds a connection with the school that commuting does not provide. By doing so, I have built strong friendships and enjoy my college career more then I ever thought I could.

What i brag about most when i am describing my school to others is my campus. It is very well kept, and the buildings are always clean and renovated. The campus is small, and every building is easily accessible. The campus is very safe, and it is very easy to get anywhere on campus without getting lost.

Danielle

I would advise parents to visit and look up information on many colleges before deciding where to go. Make sure your study of choice is available and meet as many new people as possible. You can make some really great friends.

Mallory

There is absolutely nothing to do on weekends and you have to drive to get everywhere off campus.

Edward

When finding the right college, don't just pick out of a hat, or say "This one looks promising", go see the college, talk to any random student (not those trained tour guides) and get real feedback on how the school is. You want a school that will fit who you are and what you want to be, not just a school for the price tag or social life. Think carefully and see if you can actually see yourself studying in the library, relaxing on couches, or living the dorms. This is your new home away from home, your new indepedence, make sure you don't set yourself up to fail. Most of all, get involved...the students that take their first year and get involved in at least one activity are the ones that make the most connections, most friends, and have the best times of their lives.

People who belive they epitomize pop culture.

Marla

The advice i would give parents and/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience would be to not only visit the school and hear what the advisors and students working there have to say, but emerce yourself in the community and really see what people around the community have to say about the school you are wishing to attend. This is a great way to get other outside views on the college and hear what people who are not paid to promote the school have to say. I would also think about having your child spend the weekend at the school (some colleges offer this feature) so that they can see the classes, dinning hall, people and what the school really has to offer.

The friendly staff in the education department. They were always willing to extend themselves and really become friends with you and not just a teacher.

Kevin

Beautiful campus, small class sizes, sports, chance to find great friends, interaction with professors is great, alot of good looking girls

The classmates here are fun, helpful, smart, good looking

If you dont know what it is that you want to do with your life go to a 2 year school and get your liberal arts out of the way you will save so much more money in the long run.

The best advice I can give to prospective students and their parents is to really do your research. Find out as much as you can about the college: what its most popular majors are, the general makeup of the student population, athletics, the arts. Also it is important to figure out what type of environment you like: traditional college town, big city, rural setting. Knowing all of these things are only going to help you in the decision-making process. You wouldn't want to make a decision and regret it after the first week of classes. This is a very important and exciting time; it would be a pity to waste it being disappointed and miserable.

I wish I knew how to be more "take-charge" about what classes I was signed up for to begin my freshman year. I am now behind in my major courses, which makes it difficult to graduate on time.

The worst thing about my school is the difficulty to graduate on time. If you happen to fail a class or can't get into the one you want, there is little flexibility. Many if not most of the classes are only offered one semester or the other.

Saint John Fisher College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.