Rochester, NY
Saint John Fisher College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint John Fisher College

Destinee

Talk to the financial aid office. Talk to the students. Visit the school as much as you can. Get a feel for it, you can only tell if a school is right for you by it's atmosphere. I felt welcome at my college. I was big on sports and music in high school. My school doesn't have a band or a track team, but it was the right school for me. Now we have a visual performing arts minor, I can play for our sister school and we're looking into starting a track team in the spring. My friends laughed at me for picking this school because it was in the suburbs. But now, I'm happier than all of them. And parents, you can't decide your child's future. In the end it will only hold them back from their true potential.

Somebody with a big heart, kind personality, extroverted, open-minded

Jamie

My school is very involved in college life, very concerned with offering activities that students enjoy and does whatever it can to ensure that students have an enjoyable college experience; however, there are some downs to college such as parking issues and the fact that everyone leaves on the weekends.

I would tell them to make sure they do an overnight visit at the college they are interested in attending. Everyone can go on campus tours and get a general feel for what the college has to offer, but you have to enjoy the lifestyle on campus as well. You need to ensure that you go to a college that you love and you love being at. If this isn't the case, you will be miserable for the four years you spend at college, unless you transfer or drop-out, and both are complete hassles. My advice is to just be sure that it's the right school for you and spend as much time on that campus as possible. If you are unsure that it's the right college for you, don't be afraid to express your fears and look for a different college that better fits your needs. The college experience is based on how much you enjoy being at college and it becomes what you are willing to make of it, so you need to care about the college you attend and be willing to put effort into making it what you want.

Before coming to this school, I wish I knew how many people really left on the weekends. It seems that St. John Fisher College is somewhat of a "suitcase college" in that many people will stay the week for classes and then go home on the weekends. Obviously certain weekends, such as homecoming more students stay, but most weekends, the college is pretty dead.

lauren

friendly, and like me.

friendly, and like me.

I would suggest that they look at all types of colleges and not just the area colleges. I would suggest that they take a tour of the campus and do an overnight visit to realy find out what the school is like as you will see the school in a totally different light when you are not doing a tour. Also to make the most of college, try new things, step out of your comfort zone. Talk to people you wouldn't normally talk to. And find the perfect balance between working hard and getting good grades and having fun- don't ever sacrafice either!

someone who doesn't fit the "norm" you have to be just a normal outgoing person to really fit into this school.

Nichole

I feel our school has some great clubs on campus that make a huge difference within the community. A good example of that would be the Teddi Dance For Love which is a student run club that holds a 24 hour dance for love. All the funds we earn go to the Camp Good Days and Special Times for kids with cancer.

The advice that I usually give to parents and/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is figuring out what they are looking for. They have to decide if they think they will be better at a bigger university, more research based classes, more athletics and clubs or more fraternities. If you don't like fraternities/sororities, or athletics running the school then those are certain things you have to consider. Also a major aspect of college students wants to look at is the teacher to student ratio. If the classes are too big or too small for the way of learning that is preferred. Having a smaller class size allows more teacher attention but a larger class size allows you to blend in and not feel like you have to always participate. What it all comes down to is what the students or parents are looking for when they step into the classroom or onto the campus.

My school I feel is based around the football team and basketball team which makes the school more of a guy school. Even though I fit in very well with all the students on campus it was still awkward for people at times because they either weren't in a sport or were a girl.

Saint John Fisher College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.