Saint Johns River State College

« See more reviews of Saint Johns River State College

You about to embark on a life changing experience. Here's the break down of college life with the help of the clever Dr.Seuss. Stage One: You arrive to your new location. You suddenly make all your own decisions and while this can be overwhelming, remember, "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose." Use what you know to make your choices. Stage Two: Everything is so different. You are surrounded by kids just as eager, excited, and scared as you. Dr. Seuss tells us, "From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere." Of course, everything is so interesting and new. But, be careful because he also says, "If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good." Have fun, but make good choices about how you decide to have fun and the company you decide to keep. Stage Three: You find out why you're here. To find you. To discover life, and it's meaning to you. "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high schol senior, I would tell myself that it is okay to start small and work my way up. I do not have to automatically apply for universities and pick a major right away, I can start taking classes at a community college to start figuring out what subject I would want to major in. When I was a senior in high school, I still had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. My parents tried to pressure me to apply to universities right away and start picking a major, but my relatives told me that I could easily start at a community college. Community colleges have a plethora of classes that help with figuring out what to major in such as business, health sciences, science, English and literature, education, social sciences, and art, so I would be able to experience the different fields and make my choice easier. Community college also prepared me to have a flexible schedule with different classes on different days, so I could balance my school life with my social life.

My advice to myself would be to stay close to home and go to school locally. That life experiences will happen whether you live at home or go far away. I would tell that young girl to stay focused. Distractions come in many forms and that she does not have to be the person to try to fix everything. I would tell that girl that in order to succeed you have to persevere. That minimizing the down times and maximizing the up times are all possible not just in sports but also in academics. I would tell her that being well read is not enough, you must have a diploma; that a diploma will confirm that you have the skills to receive, process, and reconfigure information, as well as commit to a program from start to finish. I would tell her people do not have x ray vision and that completing school is not only going to show the outside world what she is capable of, but it will be an opportunity to be an example for her (future)son, so that he could see from her life the struggles of being degree-less and the benefits of having one.

Erica, hows it going? Well I'm Erica from the future.. I have SO much to tell you about, but I only get less than 200 words so I will just tell you a little something about your college life. You do amazing! So don't worry, you make straight A's; until your run into macroeconomics, but thats just a small bump in your road. You will get into the nursing program on your first try. Your first semester will be a tough one and your going to run into people that are not the nicest of the bunch. They will try to hurt your and break you down and ruin your future but be strong and remember how smart and succesful you are and that where ever you go people will try to bring you down because they have allowed themselves to be brought down. So keep your head up, shoulders back, and a smile on that pretty face because you will change lives, give others hope, and make our mom so proud. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, RUN to it when you get the chance! AND stay away from your next boyfriend.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would advise myself to focus harder during ,.my first semester of college. I graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA, top 10percent of my class, and plenty of Advance Placement, Duel Enrollment, and honbors classes under my belt. With already having taken classes at St. Johns River State College and everything else I had accomplished, I figured I had nothing to worry about when I enrolled in classes. I took four required core classes that are usually in the schedules of college sophmores, and my Grade Point Average suffered. After my first semester I was left with a 3.0 GPA. I knew then I needed to devote my time more direcctly to my studies and that is what I did my secong semster. Now my GPA is up to a 3.25, and I plan on continuing this improvement. But If I could have gone back to myself before I started college, I would have warned myself to start devoting myself to my studies in the beginning.

In 1968 I graduated from High School and entered college but after only two weeks on campus, like many children of the 60’s, I succumbed to the lure of the whole Peace and Love Generation thing and left for California. For the next 40 years I busied myself with life, always intending to go back to school someday. I marched with King, attended Peace Rallies, lived in a Commune, made a lot of money, saw my name in print as a writer for an underground, and became active in the Women and Pagan Rights movements; not necessarily in that order.I began classes and on December 14th received my first grades in over 40 years on 2 classes – a perfect 4.0. Two days later I received an email saying grades (or rather non grades) had been received from Judson and my perfect 4.0 was now a 1.71 which put me in academic failure so I guess my advice would be finish what you started or at least officially withdraw if you're not going to stick it out

prepare and be focused. Be confident in my career choice locate different things that could help me understand what I am getting into. I would tell myself to not focus on the boys and the streets, strive for the top not just settle for the small parts of education. Utilize my after school programs such as, tutoring or study hall. Ask questions reguarding the cost to go to college, Straight A's or other awards could help me pay for college. Internships, having a great go gett em attitude. Be ambitious and ready to face new challenges, remain open minded even when doors have been shut. Surround yourself around people who wants things such as yourself, Positive thinking, positive enviroments, great energy, commitment, being prompt. These are all things that I discovered later in life if I had half the brain that I have today I probably would be in my career working and being stable on my own.

If I could have a conversation with my 16 year old self, sit down, I'd convince her to stay strong. I'd hold her hand and walk her through the darkness, until she came out a victor in the light. If I could tell her what I know now, she'd be glad. She would know and be reassured firmly that everything was going to be alright. That life and God gave her a second chance, even when the walls caved and solitude crept in. I believe if she knew the outcome, she'd genuinely be happy. for such a young age, she was devoured by hell. She overcame pride, strapping on the boots of bravery, overcoming abuse and homelessness. this girl thought there was no end, that the suffocation would continue. But her spirit never backed down, filling her with life. The advice I would finally give is to face the darkness, to dare to hope, even if all she wanted to do was escape, elope. I'd tell her you'd evolved.

I would tell myself to go with my first instinct to pursue a bachelors degree majoring in business administration. I would tell myself to dump your girlfriend she is a waste of your time. I would have told myself to quit my Kentucky fried Chicken job and dual enrolled full-time at Saint Johns River Community College. I would also advise myself to continue to live with my mother, to not waste my money on useless stuff, and to buy a good car that won't break every five days. I would tell myself to be obiedient, to be thankful for what i had, and to believe in myself. I would tell myself to just focus on school work and apply for as many scholarships as possible. Scholarships are free money to help people to go to school; who says no to free money?Obviously, i did and it costed me a lot of money i could have saved. That was my biggest mistake to not have applied for any scholarships.

Well I have a unique perspective of senior year. I began dual enrollment at SJRCC as a junior in high shool, of which i was homeschooled. When I was a senior all my classes were college courses. I didn't really have an opportunity to know anything else besides that college enivironment since I didn't get to experience the typical public high school environment. My senior year i still went through some awkward transitions: growing up, finally becoming an "adult" (as if turning 18 makes me more grown-up somehow) and beginning to make mature, life-changing decisions about my future. If I could go back and give myself some kind of advice at the beginning of senior year it would have been this, "Ignore your severe case of 'senoritis'. Have fun but don't forget to take this seriously. What you do right now in these momets will affect your future goals, educations plans, and career."