Saint Johns River State College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Saint Johns River State College

Katie

As a community college, SJR is a great school. The classes are a good size (around 30 students), the professors are knowledgeable and know what they are talking about, and there is always help available when needed. There are many options when it comes to getting your degree. Not to mention you will save big bucks if you attend SJR to get your A.A., and then transfer into a university.

Catherine

There are things that could change to make it better, however that is with every college. You'll love some professors, and you'll hate some. The tutors are absolutely amazing, and are always willing to help you. I have used ratemyprofessor.com to research my professors, and it has helped a little. However the biggest problem is that there are select classes that don't go year round, so your best bet is to go to academic advising to look into how to work out your schedule for how long you need to stay here.

Jenny

The school is really great because it has really good things you can use for resources. The teachers are really great. They are always there for you when you need them. There classes are not that full. Maybe they might have 20 students in their classroom. They still find the time to help you. The tutoring center is a really great place to go for help. The library has computers you can use and lots of books you can use. The guidance counselors are always there to help you when you need them. So on a scale of 1 to 200 they wold definitely get a 200 from me so please pick me.

Regan

I have been at this school for 8 years now and am going to continue my education to their Early Childhood Education program. Since day one at this school I have felt welcomed and helped by the faculty and staff there. The counselors are always helpful and the teachers are readily available and willing to answer any and all questions. There is after school tutoring and flexible class scheduling. I truly enjoy attending this college.

SJR is your average community college. No campus housing. Classes are maybe 20 plus students. If you're a freshman, most of your classes with have high school dual enrollment students in them. Other students tend to keep to themselves and their friend groups, so making friends is a bit of a challenge. SJR is the place where you go, take your classes, and leave.

Brian

Saint Johns is exactly what I wanted. Class sizes are small, professors are involved and dedicated, and administration seems to work tirelessly to get the students more resources. Best of all, tuition is incredibly cheap. Of course Saint Johns is basically a community college, so there is no housing and they only offer three, 4-year degrees (Nursing, Early Childhood Education, and Applied Science in Organizational Management). But the State of Florida guarantees admission to other Florida State Schools with an 2-year "Associate's of Arts" degree which is mostly what students receive at Saint Johns. One of the possible cons at Saint Johns is the grading scale, which doesn't have pluses or minuses. If you receive between a 69.995% and 79.994% average in a class then the grade is a C, not a C- or C+. This can be an issue when transferring to specific programs at other universities who may require a C+ prerequisite grade in order to take a class.

Nicholas

It is a good school with helpful professors who care about the students college career. The college is affordable and the students are nice. Although the academic quality of the school is not perfect the professors do try hard at providing a secure learning environment.

Kacen

I like that St. John's River State College, is a smaller college. The staff has very helpful. I felt comfortable on campus the several times that I visited. The class size is also a plus, about 30 students. There isn't on-campus housing, but that's ok, I live close enough to commute. looking forward to attending the the fall.

Nathan Francis

It's a nice small college. Very relaxed. The staff are all nice and there are security officers constantly patrolling the campus. The teachers all care and want you to succeed. The student facilities aren't excessive. They have a nice student lounge area to hang out in between classes. Overall a very good college.

Jaima

SJRSC is a pretty well-rounded college. They basically have something for everyone. They have FloArts, which is an art school that is loved and attened by many. There is also a heavy focus and involvement in baseball and softball, with both teams being very successful. For those not into the afts or sports, SJRSC is still a good option because it offers a wide variety of classes needed to transfer to another university, or you can also stay at SJRSC and get a Bachelors Degree. The class sizes are perfect, and the majority of the professors are easy to reach and very personable. The student life is also perfect for people who want to be involved, but do still want to keep their focus on the academics. Overall, SJRSC is a great option for people from all backgrounds.

Evan

SJR is a good school for our town. It's nothing fancy but the teachers do their job well. The best part is the Viking center, its a great place to chill or study, there are lots of games and good cafe area. There is also free tutoring which is great if you need some extra help.

Emma

The professors are really nice and helpful. They even found a great replacement professor when one of my professors went on maternity leave! I have not had that much experience with the actual campus, I am currently dual enrolled through my high school, but I have heard good things about the facilities available.

Brianna

Clean and beautiful campus, especially the St. Augustine one. The teachers are kind and accessible, and can be a huge help. The students are friendly and the campus feels really safe. This is a community college, so there is no housing or anything, but as far as small, localized colleges go, this is a pretty good one.

nadia

I think Saint Johns River State College is a great place to learn and start or improve your career. There are many opportunities, long or short programs and also for pure entertainment and personal growth. The cafeteria in the St Augustine Campus is a nice place to meet your peers and exchange ideas and suggestions to help each other in the studying process. They often have public and free events to attract students to be part of the college life and there is also a chapter of the International Honor Society, the Phi Theta Kappa, which honor student with good academics achievements.

Kaylee

Saint Johns River State College is a community college with a lot to offer. With another community college in the same town, this particular school is very organized in comparison and strives to keeps it's students safety a priority. Class sizes are a healthy size that allows optimal learning with a more intimate class number (no more than 20, usually). Definitely a good choice for college if one cannot afford a 4-year institute right off the bat.

angel

St. Johns River State College is a community college in North Florida. I attended classes there for about 2.5 years. The courses are okay, they didn't have a lot to offer in the field I was interested in (arts) at the campus I attended, some of the staff that worked in the attendance office and counselors office aren't always helpful but the professors I had were usually available at anytime and very helpful.

Karla

St. John’s river state college is a great place to begin college, since it is a community college it allows you to save some money and transfer to a bigger university after you receive your AA degree. The student to profesor ratio is perfect. There are about 15-20 people in each classroom which allow the profesor to communicate with you and get to know you better, unlike in huge univirsities where you’re just a number

Cassie

I love the college. The professors are very nice and always wanting to help students understand concepts. Most teachers like to carry on random conversations after class. The class size is just like high school and sometimes smaller. Teachers are dedicated to meeting up with students for extra help. All staff members are very welcoming and makes you feel at home.

Kiele

I am dual enrolled with my high school, Orange Park High School, but I will be at this college full time next year. I’ve had professors but never on campus. But the program set up seems to be efficient, but the communication between the schools and the students could definitely use improvement.

Dylan

SJRS is a very accessible and well managed campus. As a nervous first-time college student who has been out of high school for 6 years now, I found that the staff and environment were very welcoming and helpful. The tuition prices are fair however as always and anywhere the book prices are ridiculous. The course catalog is quite ranged however it is annoying how there is a like a separate arts school to the college that you must audition for. Like people have to have folios which is weird for someone just wanting to take a photography class or something and learn. Security is great and safety seems to be a great concern and mission for the college. They offer payment plans which are really helpful as well. I think their classrooms could be updated or at least some of them and they would also do well to have a larger computer lab. That said, roundabout, the college is a great place to get your higher education after high school started. It is also very convenient for many that there are three locations of the school spread out to cover several districts. However the one downside is that it is very annoying and inconvenient that some courses are only offered at specific locations which may very well be an hour away for some people. Like the arts school and its programs is in Palatka which is a 80 minute drive there and back for me. As a full time employee this is very undo-able for me and cuts too much time away from what could be used to take another class or studying. The campus I attend currently is only 10 minutes away from me currently which helps tremendously in terms of viability and motivation.

Carlos

Very good university to study students and professors are very good willing to help , My experience at the school was the best I've had and could improve my academic and my student performance so you can be the person you always wants to be thanks to this university i have a bright future .

Brandon

St Johns River State College is the best State College I've ever seen. They are very reasonably priced even compared to the bigger local state college. I'm attending their college for the Radiology Program and I'm enjoying the freedom to take all my pre-reqs online. Sure with my medical classes, there is a Lab or two, but they let me know far in advance and was able to give my full time employer plenty of notice. This has really been a stress free experience and would recommend this college to my closest family and friends. You won't be disappointed.