Saint Johns University Top Questions

sugly

There is an abundance of an incredible, genuine and diverse population.

Everyone at my school is extremely involved in sports, on campus clubs, and on campus academic opportunities and programs. We have a Career Center that readies students for interviews by helping them dress professionally, create professional, online accounts (i.e. LinkedIn), and proper etiquette with prospective employers. As well, we have Global Language and Community Center (GLCC) that aids anyone taking a foreign language, which 2 years of is required by every student, with native speakers. Our school has people from all over the entire world, numbers in 50+ countries, along with our campuses in Europe.

The students at St. John's are very welcoming and nonjudgmental. They are respectful and kind when it comes to the small things, like holding the door or folding my laundry. The student body is some what diverse in a way that is not uncomfortable for some students. I personally love diversity and have had a chance to get in touch with many sides of the diverse student body!

Most students are white people from Minnesota. But that doesnt mean everyone is. Of the minorities, most are international (and fun to hang out with). Almost all students are friendly and well-off (the tuition is pricey so most students are well-off). No one should feel out of place though as it is a welcoming community to almost all races, religious affiliations, LGBTs, and what ever other groups there might be. Most drink, which I am not that fond of, but if you are looking to kick back, there are a lot of people that are willing to do that with you. However, there are also many people that dont drink (me included) that also like to have fun on Fridays and Saturdays which might include talking, movie watching, going to a friends house, gone on a club (for me Frisbee and Mock Trial) trip out of town.

Iliya

I can't think of any student that would feel out of place here. There are many diverse kinds or groups of students ranging from things like race and religion to LGBT and socio-economic status, and all have their place here. Even though CSBSJU is a Catholic-affiliated pair of institutions, students of any faith or non-faith will have opportunities and freedom to practice their beliefs. Students are aware of issues in the outside world, and they take a lot of action towards them. We have many different student-led political clubs and other organizations, as well as organizations to help people in third-world countries. Many different types of students interact with each other, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the groups of friends that I've seen and met over my year-and-a-quarter spent here.

Peter

Coming from the urban area of Los Angeles, I would mostly interact people of my own enthicity: people from Latin America. However, coming to CSB/SJU allowed me to interact with all kinds of people. I became good friends with my neighbors and courses the first year of college. I got to meet people from other countries who are really friendly. I also got to meet people from other states; even though CSB/SJU mostly has students from Minnesota, there are other students representing other states, and I realized that we're not so different from one another because some of us have the same interests and likes. Finally, I got to learn about a culture I only heard of once in my AP US History course in high school: the Hmong culture. Some of them are in a scholarship program I'm part of and we all became a family after a retreat we all attended. Now, they're trying to teach me their language, try their food, and share any similarities we have with our cultures.

Peter

The rate of diversity on this campus is not as high as some larger schools, however, the interaction between cultures on campus is very high. There are all sorts of clubs that represent cultures from around the world that give presentations and sponsor events. The campus has a majority of Catholic students, but religion is not forced upon anybody at anytime. Politically, the campus covers the spectrum from very left leaning liberals to very right leaning conservatives and everybody in between, and it is a very active studnet body. The majority of students come from middle class families and so the amount of diversity in that aspect is not very high.

Cory

Description of my classmates is supporting, smart, out going and willing to go out of the way to help each other.

An extremly diverse group of people, who for the most part are friendly, and very accepting of you; but at the same time are very close knit in their groups of friends.

Luke

Classmates are very interesting because they are all different.