Saint Johns University Top Questions

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Iliya

During my college search in my senior year of high school, I narrowed down three colleges that seemed to best fit my interests, and, ironically, I had only considered St. John's as a possible fit because my parents had mentioned that it is a good, reputable school with a Catholic affiliation. As a music major, I was more interested in two other colleges with more prominent music departments. I traveled to each institution, toured the campuses and attended student and faculty panels as part of their admissions programs in order to learn more about what the schools had to offer me. Each school had terrific facilities, admissions staff, and faculty, but the deciding factor presented itself to me during the tours. Each college stressed its devotion to community on campus, but only St. John's actualized its community claim with flying colors. At St. John's, my tour guide personally knew, on estimate, at least thirty people that we passed. Walking through the residence halls and the other buildings and outside areas on campus, I got the feeling that all of the students, whether they knew each other or not, shared a certain bond with each other, and having attended here for almost a year and a half, I see how that is entirely true. Everyone here is easily approachable, and the alum networking is incredible. At my summer job working at the front desk of a hotel/resort, I met a former Johnnie and a former Bennie who had also not previously known each other, and we struck up a comfortable, ten-minute conversation as if we had known each other for years. The fantastic community and people were the largest factors in my college choice.