Saint Johns University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Saint Johns University

Charles

Excellent school if you are looking for a small Liberal Arts University. Great campus with friendly students, faculty, and administrators. If you are considering, visit and you will know if its home for you the moment you step foot on campus.

Simone

I love STJ. It was the best experience of my life

serge

The campus is a beautiful place to be. The student are friendly. There is freedom of religion on campus. Culture diversity is a great thing we have and we also have great merch. It’s overall a great place to spend the next 4 years of your life. Love

Jordan

its okay but there are a few things I preferred didnt happen on campus. I appreciate that they want to keep us "safe" but they seem a bit more over protective. Residence halls have strict guest policies that just don't really make sense. st john's visitors can stay until 3am and cant come back until 7am, what is really the difference between those 4hrs. Most of the time people risk getting a violation because they don't want their friends that dont live on campus to have such long dangerous trips so late at night especially if they are tired. And its nearly impossible to have non-st johns overnight guests to the point of people rather risking the consequence of trying to sneak there friends in instead of going through that whole process. My suitemate last semester had a friend stay for the weekend and on her last night they came home at 1am, they didnt let her friend in because technically she was set as an overnight from the night before and because its technically 1am the next day and was not let in. They had to sleep in public safety that night on uncomfortable benches until her friend had to go at 8am.

Kaprece

I think St. Johns has a lot of spirit, religious spirit and school pride. students feel proud that we go here. whenever there is a political/ race issue students come together and protest and bring conversation and dialogue to it. Sports is a huge ting on campus, even if you don't care particularly for sports, you would want to be involved in the annual tip off we have and the parties and activities afterwards. st. john's is a really cool school to be apart of. It's prestige is real. if you are catholic there is a great church right on campus, and if you aren't catholic the students don't make you feel awkward about it. I love the diversity on campus. its really a great school .

Stephen

I attended SJU from 2003-2006 and I lived on campus for 1 year and then lived off campus in Queens, NY. Being a person that was originally from Allentown, Pennsylvania which was somewhat diverse I was blown away by my experience at the school. I connected with students and faculty from all over the world and thank you to social media I have been able to keep in contact with friends I made as well as school/alumni activities. I loved it so much I still make the drive to visit the school for various events or sporting events too. SJU really paved the way for me to pursue my graduate degree and now I am in a Doctoral program.

I chose Saint John's because it was in New York and thats where I wanted to be, my freshman year I hated it to me I wasn't getting the "college experience" but after awhile I made more friends. I still didn't like it but I studied abroad and realized that this was the 1 thing that made the school different from others. The study abroad program.

Kalvin

Saint Johns University is simply a great place to attend. The food is absolutely delightful with a buffet style eatery or typical deli style, both are great and usually fast! The food at Saint Johns University also tends to try to create other cultures of foods such as Japanese, Jamaican, Hispanic, etc. The academics and professors are great as well, challenging and always helpful. Im always academically tested but never over stressed and as for the professors, their amazing and are always available to help and willing to. The culture and students there as well are so nice and inviting. Even me as a colored person in a very white dominate school, I feel safe and invited. The only downfall of Saint Johns University is the housing, its quite old and students are forced to live on campus all 4 years. However, even thought this is a big impact there are still so much more benefits to prove why Saint Johns University is a great school.

Alexis Colleen

Would not recommend. It's an alright school, has good programs for certain majors such as pharmacy but is very specific to those majors, anything else & you're screwed. Also not very safe, I was a victim of sexual assault on campus by an employee of the university & it wasn't even taken seriously. also, the food sucks

Adriana

I think Saint Johns University displays a good sense of community. It is a very accepting and diverse school, making it easy to express oneself. There is always someone around to help in any situation. The school takes pride in its diversity, and welcomes students from all over the world.

chidima

Fun school with great people, but the science department could use some fixing up. I am a physician assistant major and the course load is a decent amount but the chemistry department is lacking. Being in NYC is a great location for the school. There is always something going on while on Campus so you are never bored.

Erica

Saint John's is all about greek life- if you aren't involved it is hard to make friends. There is often stuff going on but it is never as huge or popular as other large schools. People aren't very friendly and groups kind of keep to themselves. Food is more often bad than it is good; but still palatable. The facilities, class sizes, and academics are pretty solid- I got a good education here. However, I did not love the college itself.

Ariann

I am a first year student at SJU and honestly my experience has been pretty amazing. My teachers have been great and my freshmen advisor has been extremely helpful when it came to change my major and finding what classes are best for me! I can't wait to travel on our amazing study abroad program! I love my school!

John

Pros Monastic community Educational skill development Alum network (for white people) Cons Almost nonexistent post-grad career training for students pursuing anything other than management (internship prep, resume writing, alum talks) Lack of strategy and resource development dedicated for students of color VERY white, and white cultured Remote location Drinking

Jacob

Saint John’s University in Minnesota is one of the top liberal art colleges in the nation and I truly believe that. I come from Los Angeles, California, and go to school in Collegeville, Minnesota. These two places are completely different, from a big city to a town with only a college, and with the help of their freshman orientation I adapted well to the different environment. The academics at Saint Johns is challenging but the professors are amazing and are always there when you need them, for class purposes or even personal purposes. I had the opportunity of studying abroad in Guatemala and their study abroad programs are some of the best programs in the nation of liberal art colleges. Saint Johns has an amazing connection between the faculty and staff with the student body

taylor

I absolutely love st. johns everyone at this school is like family and so friendly its a really great place to be. The professors are so culturally aware and always make themselves readily available. Office hours occur weekly and you can always get in touch using our emails.

Emma

It is a good school if you work with it. Being on campus is a huge must if not you feel secluded and out of the loop. They have a lot of campus activities and there is always something going on you just have to know about it. Greek life is great and a lot of fun. It is its own community. Go phi sig!

David

It can be better but the lack of communication and failure of advisors meeting the standard of kids it is a big problem. But, Classes are “easy to follow and there are never any surprises from the professors,” and most are discussion-based. Students in all majors find that “the workload is not overwhelming and the assignments are helpful and relevant to the subjects.” For commuter and non-commuter students alike, the Monday and Thursday afternoon common hour provides a universal time for most social and academic clubs to meet.

Kara

I love Saint John's University. The professors are great.

Gabriella

I think that St Johns does a great job at getting students connected and making people feel included in things on campus. The faculty is very "family" relationship building where you can really find a group where you feel most at home. The school offers many opportunities on campus to help students get ahead and improve on their skills and there are many different places where a student can go to have their questions answered.

Amandeep

over heard chemistry teachers saying they need to fail people for night budget.