Standish, ME
Saint Joseph's College of Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Joseph's College of Maine

Lindsey

Id I could talk to the highschool me I'd tell myself to join every club that even possibly interests you. It doesn't hurt to test them out. Getting involved is the best way to make friends and make the most out of your college experience. The time flys by and before you know it your out in the real world and you might not be provided with as many opportunitys as you were in college. Also, apply for scholarships! It is NOT a waste of time, you'll agree when you graduate and start paying off loans. Lastly, enjoy every second of college, try new things and don't worry about everything so much.

They couldn't adapt to my major as much as i thought. The food wasn't as good as they made it out to be

Katherine

We are best known educationally speaking for our fantastic Nursing program, and in the community for our charitable work.

I was eight years old the first time I told my family I wanted to become a Veterinarian. Now fourteen years later, Saint Joseph's College has gotten me halfway to accomplishing my goal. I am currently a senior in the Pre-Vet program and will be graduating in May. Saint Joe's small campus and close student-teacher relationships provided the perfect environment for me to focus on the curriculum and accel in subject areas where I might have otherwise struggled. The extracurricular activities at the school have provided a social platform where I have made life-long friendships, and have had supple opportunities to learn new skills, build my resume, and give back to the community. Looking back on these four years, I would not change a single step of the way. Saint Joseph's College has made me a better student and member of the community, and I know these values will one day make me a better Veterinarian.

This school is great for one-on-one hands on learning with professors. The small class and campus size is perfect for people looking for a relaxed Maine rural school setting, with town only 3 miles away, and an exciting night life in the Old Port only 20 minutes away. There are plenty of clubs and sports clubs and teams. Saint Joe's is a nice tight knit campus that gives back to the community alot.

Jackie

I've been able to experience different people. I'm the only one from my hometown to attend and so I've had to make all new friends again. Plus it's allowed me to step outside my comfort zone and find out that I am capable of being on my own. But the skill of getting along with new people is only going to help me in the future. And I've had to learn to do things on my own, so my college experience has taught me to rely on myself more to get things done, rather than rely on my parents.

The closeness of the campus. You don't have to walk far from the dorms to be right in the center of everything.

For me, it's the long drive away from home. I live three hours away so since I've forgotten some things, I have to go out and buy them instead of dashing back home to pick them up.

Shayla

I learned how to stand up for myself. During high school I let people walk all over me because I just wanted to be nice, but I learned that I can't let people take advantage of me. My first year I went through some rough times with making friends, changing to the different learning techniques and what was expected of me, and it also created a lot of anxiety for me, but I came out on top and overall my freshmen year gave me strength, courage, independency, and has made me a stronger individual.

For social aspects, being a small school. For academics, the non-doctorate professors being better teachers than the professors and the teachers not being able to receive the credit for it.

Every school has its pros and cons, but it is a small school. I went there because it was small, but sometimes it can get frustrating. Also the professors there have to have a doctorate degree and some of the staff that works as teachers are not allowed to be considered a full time or professor teacher because of it. And they taught better than the professors with the doctorate degrees.

If I could go back and speak with my high school self, the first point I would emphasize would be to be friendly. Luckily I made best friends with my roommate and did not necessarily need to go outside of my comfort zone to make other friends. I think that I should have branched out more in the beginning and really introduced myself to anyone and everyone I met. It would have made the transition much easier if I had a lot of friends...I certainly would not have been so homesick if that were the case. The second point of advice I would tell my high school self would be to take studying seriously. When you only have two tests in a class throughout the entire semester, they matter a great deal to your final grade. In my opinion, I did well in my first semester of college, but if I had just studied a wee bit harder I think I could have made the Dean's List. And the last (but certainly not the least) bit of advice I would give myself would be to simply enjoy myself. You only have four years!

The best thing about my school are the small class sizes. Every class I have taken has had less than 30 students in it. It is a lot easier to manage the material when you can interact with your professor during class instead of simply being a face in the crowd.

Cally

People I laugh with, succeed with, problem solve with, live with, and best of all are lifetime friends.

I love everything about college life! However, as a high school senior I was skeptical. If I could go back in time and advise myself I would say three things: meet as many people as possible, be you, and most importantly HAVE FUN. I know it can be hard, but I think we forget the fun in meeting new people. When you are new to a place it can be intimidating, but the first few days everyone is new. A simple hi or a compliment can go a long way. Be confident, I guarantee after making one new friend you'll be excited to make more. Peer pressure: we all know about it, but in college it's not such a big deal. People aren't as judgmental; it's actually admirable to be your own person. Lastly have fun! Try new things, join clubs, and stay out late once in a while. College is a place to grow. Yes there is work to do, but there's a way to balance it all. Experience life responsibly and you will adjust in no time. If you're like me you may find it hard to believe you were ever worried.

The type of person that would love St. Joes is a person who is looking for a small college that is a family. Everyone is accepted and fits somewhere into the family. Nobody is left behind and we all help eachother succeed. Every teacher is dedicated to helping you learn, even if that means they stay after class and work with you for a few hours. Everyone is kind and helpful and you can go to anyone with a problem. St. joes is not a party school but there are so many fun things going on.

Rebecca

St. Joseph's College is best known for it strong academic values. St. Joseph's College has one of the best accredited nursing programs in New England and many employers know this and look forward to a St. Joseph's Nursing student to apply for a job with them. The program is rigorous and very indepth. Being a nursing student requires one to be determined and stay organized and focused. One must also develop the holistic skills that each St. Joseph's College nursing student leaves with, but students from other nursing programs may not have.

Before choosing a school, I would definitely visit all of my options to see which best fits me and I feel the most comfortable at when I'm there. I would also plan to meet with one of the students in my intended major and have her tell me what her view is of the school and the program. This would ensure whether or not the school would be an appropriate choice for me and my education. When attending Accepted Students Day I would take advantage of the opportunities to meet new people and learn what they are interested in and if they are people I would like to spend time with if I attended the school. Meeting other people that are interested in attending the same school can give one an insight on how the students already attending the school may be like. It is important to meet new people at every chance one can, especially if the school is small, because this allows you to get to know the other students that will be in one's class and could be a majority of the school.

Before attending St. Joseph's College I would have liked to know more about available financial aid to pay for the expenses of attending. The school is rather expensive for the area in which it is located, as well as the state, therefore those attending may have difficulty finding ways to pay for their education. Scholarships do help to pay for some expenses but not every scholarship applied for is received and this can be frustrating for some students with college expenses at schools such as St. Joseph's College.

Everyone wishes at least once in your life that you could go back in time. If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would take that opportunity so I could tell myself about college. What would I say? So much has happened this year. One thing I would tell myself is to study harder and not get mixed up in all the drama. Let's be honest here freshmen year of college is no different then high school for some people. I was one of the first semester, but after looking back I think how could I have been so stupid and choose hanging out over grades, the most important part to college. Another thing I would talk about is sticking up for myself more. I have kind of let myself be dragged into things I wasn't really okay with so senior self don't give into to all the peer pressure and stupidity that will come your way. Although I can't go back and tell myself these things at least I know them know and have learned from them. I can stick up for myself more and realize that homework is important.

Before coming to school I wish I had gotten to know my roommate better. It is true what they say you don't really know someone until you've lived with them. We are just two different people from different walks of life and for a while things worked, but then I saw her true colors. This caused a lack of sleep and a drop in my grades. We have decided to go our separate ways and move on with life. Not all roommates are bad so for anyone entering college I wish you the best of luck.

To be a St. Joesph's Monk you really need to want it other wise college will eat you alive. This school challenges you to be yor best, but at a cost. However, they do give out plenty of financial aid so if you think money's a problem it's really not. Most people here are nursing majors because that's what this school was founded on. They will throw the hardest classes at nursing majors first semester only because they want to make good nurses. So if you're serious about college St. Joseph's is number one.

brendan

My classmates are some of the most fun people to be around with their laughter and sense of hummor they help make me less shy to expreess myself and help make class not only exciting but welcoming.

i have lived in maine my whole life and did not want to stray to far from home. Saint Joesph's College was a perfect match becaue no only was it located in the same state but it allowed me to continue on my traditional catholic education that i value. Saint Joesph's also was a small school which allowed me tto better interact with no only the proffessors but my peers as well.

High school what a drag. Poof what the... why your me! yes but i am the college you. what do you want from me.?. I have come to you to give you some advice as to what college holds for you. Oooooookay. I know you have been sweating over your sat's, your fasfa and even your grades. AND?. I wanted to tell you that you are at a point now where your not a kid but your not quite an adult either and the chapter of your life i mean the one without your parents just you is begining. Its okay to be scared life has its advantages and its disadvantages. People will try to bring you down and you know what. What ? DON'T LET THEM!!!! stay true to yourself and as long as you are happy with yourself and you did the best job you could then thats all that matters. Listing to my mother also was a big help who told me to hold my head up hiigh and to never sweat the small stuff and thats what you need to do its your life live it as you want to.

Katharine

Hmmm...tough question, I'm not really sure what I'd give myself as advice. Maybe advice to live on campus instead of being a commuter because it is surely harder being a commuter than an on-campus student.

As a commuter there are a couple of issues with my college, but the main problem is parking. I mean I have to pay 50 dollars every year for parking and still end up, most of the time, in the lot behind the baseball field, which is pretty far from thebuilding that has most of the classes and is not even paved. It makes me wonder why I pay for parking or what that 50 bucks goes to.

Defiantely, if the student is interested in nuring then St. Joseph's college is for you. It is a liberal arts college so it is open enough for other majors, but its speciality is nursing without any doubt. The best type of student would be one whom like nursing or volunteer work because there are many causes and programs for that, which always looks good on an assume.

Saint Joseph's College of Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.