Saint Louis, MO
Saint Louis Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Louis Community College

My most crucial advice to myself would be to not believe what everyone tells you about college. Truthfully, every student's experience is different due to a multitude of factors. As a high school senior, I would advise myself to begin preparations for financial aid as soon as possible. Additionally, I would strongly suggest planning my college schedule in advance based on my chosen major. It is never too early to prepare for college.

The "best thing" about St. Louis Community College is the access to resources. Not only are there several strategically placed campuses around the St. Louis area, they cooperate with one another. Library resources from one campus can be used at another campus for example. Technology at St. Louis Community College is state-of-the-art. All campus facilities are kept clean and are conducive to student learning. Each campus has a different atmosphere along with different numbers of classes offered.

I am most likely to "brag" about the general compassion of professors at St. Louis Community College. I have yet to come across a professor who is uncooperative and unwilling to help me succeed. This is my favorite part of St. Louis Community College. I know I can always count on my professors.

Jackilyn

Everyone here is just trying to get the credits they need for their majors so they can move on.

If I could go back in time and give my high school self advice about entering college, I would tell myself to forget about the A+ Scholarship I had earned a go to a four year college or university directly instead. My community college experience has been eerily similar to my high school experience, and that has made me feel stagnant in my life. I would tell myself not to worry quite as much about the future, and to focus more on what was happening right then - on getting good grades and scholarships as I go instead of thinking about what will happen later, but also so remember to maintain my relationships as they are very important to mental health and therefore potential productivity. I would tell myself to take a deep breath and accept opportunities as they come, neither stressing about what may be or turning away things that are.

I wish I had known how long it takes the administration to complete paperwork and put it in the right place.

Renee

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to be more social. I already knew how to study and budget my time before I went to college so the work aspect of college was a breeze. I had a lot of trouble adjusting my social life my freshman year. All of my friends had left town and went to big universities. It seemed like everyone left me and I couldn’t have the same experiences as them. I became depressed for the first time in my life and I didn’t know how to cope with it. The depression hit hard and I began skipping classes and sleeping all day because I felt like I was being left behind. The summer after freshman year I began a new job as a lifeguard and I was around a lot of people who were the same age as me. I started making new friends and coming out of my despair. I think that if I tried a little harder at making friends at my new school instead of worrying about my old ones so much I would have had a much easier year.

St. Louis Community College was very unique in the way that people in your classes would range from ages 18-80. Having all different ages in almost every class made it more interesting because you would get to hear many different perspectives during group discussions. I don’t think that happens very often in more traditional colleges. I think that as a St. Louis Community College graduate I got a more diverse experience than all of my friends who went to traditional 4-year colleges right after high school.

Patricia

I wish that I had known about the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society here on campus, as well as the work studies positions availiable, and all of the clubs, as well. I wish I could have joined PTK earlier, as well as taken some honor classes. Please be active, and educate yourselves on the tools available on campus! There's computers available, online databases, tutors, counselers, Governance Club, sports... explore them and take advantage!

If I could give myself any advise, it would be this- Get help. You just lost your father, go see a counselor and get the closure you need. Get active in sports to help with your stress and anxiety. Take more AP classes, sooner; do not underestimate yourself, you are a bright and smart student. Do not let your social anxiety get in the way of your success (besides, you'll conqure this, soon!). Take part in a school play- you used to take part in so many, don't let these chances slip away! Start saving up for college. It's coming sooner than you think. Study more- you know you coasted in a few of those classes- realize the B's are good, but not good enough! Volunteer more, and enjoy those days off (walking in the park alone, stress-free), you don't get a lot of those days anymore! Show your mom love, and care for her in anyway possible. She has done the best that a mother can do for her children! In total- do not underestimate yourself. You are incredibly smart, you make your mother so proud!

I am not sure what is unique about my school, other than it is two minutes away from my house. It has aslo provided me with a work-studies position which is helping me save money up for when I transfer to Webster University. We do have a highly diverse population, and an international club with a lot of members.

nichole

It would be known for quailtly education, location, and affordability.

It would be known for quailtly education, location, and affordability.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself, I would laugh first because it would be so unusal. I would tell me to push myself harder, study more, and take classes that would get me there sooner, and I would be proud of what I am to become. In high school being a fire fighter was not an option whereas today it is. I am a vol. fire fighter right now and would be proud to become one full time. I love helping people as I did in high school and have an appreciation for what the job entails.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the admission process but that is normal due to size of the school.

Alonzo

The girls, weight room, game room , videogames, and parties are fun and all but your future in life depends on how much you study, listen, and pay attention . Live in the library the research materials and tutors ae your lifes blood in the educational system you should stay with the tutors for at least six hours or more if you have to on a subject you are struggling in. The fun things will always be there after you are done with your schoolastic responsibilities. Keep up the intensity on your studies don't get lazy and start slacking you will always be your worst enemy do not fall prey to your old habits. Don't worry about the financial part God will take care of it; but that doesn't mean don't get a job or stop looking for scholarship money just have confidence you will find the money. Last but not least you are a strong intelligent black man act like it!

There are hundreds of students and not enough parking to accomidate them. Students cruise the parking garage and parking lot for hours trying to find a spot and some eventually have to park in a neighboring parking lot or park illegally somewher else. When you do this the campus police write you tickets that are from 10$ to 200$ depending on where you parked.

The kind of person who should attend this school is a person who is patient enough to deal with the bad parking and slow faculty. A person who can afford the high priced books. Also this person should plan to finish there general transfer studies there and move on to a four year institution in which they can excell in there feild.

Terry

If time travel were possible I would go back to my, highschool, self and give myself advice about college life and making the transition. The lecture would go like this: give 100% to your school work, explore all career options and do not move out of your parents house. If it would have been life changing to hear that advice from myself. With my new perspective: I would have given 100% studying. Which would have improved my study skills resulting in better grades. I would have given myself more career goals by exploring more options. Then I would not have taken a two year break from college to figure out what I wanted in life. If I would not have moved out my senior year: I would have had time for studying, researching career goals and filling out scholarships. Overall I would have been better off academically and financially. Since time travel is impossible I have to take what I have learned about college life and making the transition and work extra hard. I have to give 200% studying. I must focus on my career goals. Most importantly I know now important making a future for myself is.

Ebonne

My school is a very diverse and challenging learning environment.

My school is a very diverse and challenging learning environment.

My advise to myself is this, stay focus, listen to my parents, and study harder. I would take time to research occupations and careers so that I would know my major going into college. I would tell myself, not to take a break, keep going and school is most important. Be prepared for the obstacles, it may seem impossible but really it's just a challenge! OVERCOME IT!! I would tell myself, my only friend is my education, my assoicates are my books, and watch out for anything that will come and distract you from your goal.

The most frustrating thing is to have an unorganized teacher.

Yaminah

If I could go back in time I would have told my younger self not to allow relationships to stress me unnecessarily . That the realtionships now are so trivial , both with boys and my female friends . To stay focused on my future , never to have dropped out of college the first time I attended college . I would also tell myself not to allow money to stress me out , if need be to take out student loans . My college degree would give me security for the future , how the clothes , parties , all the trivial nonsense that consumed my thoughts back then will only side track you , if I allow them too . I would tell my younger self to make whatever sacrifices are necessary now , so that I won't have to struggle later , financially , physically or emotionally . Putting money first had me in a relationship where I was the victim of domestic violence . Had I known then what I know now , I would have never gotten into an abusive relationship , never would have dropped out of college . However going through that experience showed me how I needed to finish college . So I'd never be in a predicament like that again .

The classes are filled with adult students , who appear to be very focused on finishing college , attaining their degree . Being that we all happen to be older students , I find we can relate to one another much better . Through conversation I've learned helpful study materials , programs I could look into for my major , various scholarship info , and like minded individuals who are just as focused . Being surrounded by positive peers , working towards the same goals as myself is inspiring to me .

I think someone who is unsure what direction they're life is headed in , not sure if they want to attend college shouldn't be in this institution . The professors seem to have no tolerance for excuses , only interested in helping the students who really want to learn .

Erin

They work very hard to make things easy on students. Classes are offered at any time needed. They do everything they can to help. The professors are always willing to talk with struggeling students

I would have worked harder in my classes and I would have studied for my ACT. I also would have started out at the Community College to save money and get on my feet, rather then have attended a private college and spent so much money.

I think what bothers me the most is the cost of books

Saint Louis Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.