Saint Louis Community College Top Questions

taylor

Do more research. Don't waste your money or time. Don't make decisions until you are certain. You do not have all the time in the world - they are lying to you.

karli

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to try harder and apply for scholarships. I came from a poor family of 3 so I am now stuck paying for college on my own. I wish that I would of tried harder in school and cared more about what I got on the ACT. This would have saved me alot of heartache now as I struggle to stay enrolled each semester. I would of warned myself of all the expenses that come with being a college student.

My most crucial advice to myself would be to not believe what everyone tells you about college. Truthfully, every student's experience is different due to a multitude of factors. As a high school senior, I would advise myself to begin preparations for financial aid as soon as possible. Additionally, I would strongly suggest planning my college schedule in advance based on my chosen major. It is never too early to prepare for college.

Jackilyn

If I could go back in time and give my high school self advice about entering college, I would tell myself to forget about the A+ Scholarship I had earned a go to a four year college or university directly instead. My community college experience has been eerily similar to my high school experience, and that has made me feel stagnant in my life. I would tell myself not to worry quite as much about the future, and to focus more on what was happening right then - on getting good grades and scholarships as I go instead of thinking about what will happen later, but also so remember to maintain my relationships as they are very important to mental health and therefore potential productivity. I would tell myself to take a deep breath and accept opportunities as they come, neither stressing about what may be or turning away things that are.

Renee

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to be more social. I already knew how to study and budget my time before I went to college so the work aspect of college was a breeze. I had a lot of trouble adjusting my social life my freshman year. All of my friends had left town and went to big universities. It seemed like everyone left me and I couldn’t have the same experiences as them. I became depressed for the first time in my life and I didn’t know how to cope with it. The depression hit hard and I began skipping classes and sleeping all day because I felt like I was being left behind. The summer after freshman year I began a new job as a lifeguard and I was around a lot of people who were the same age as me. I started making new friends and coming out of my despair. I think that if I tried a little harder at making friends at my new school instead of worrying about my old ones so much I would have had a much easier year.

Patricia

If I could give myself any advise, it would be this- Get help. You just lost your father, go see a counselor and get the closure you need. Get active in sports to help with your stress and anxiety. Take more AP classes, sooner; do not underestimate yourself, you are a bright and smart student. Do not let your social anxiety get in the way of your success (besides, you'll conqure this, soon!). Take part in a school play- you used to take part in so many, don't let these chances slip away! Start saving up for college. It's coming sooner than you think. Study more- you know you coasted in a few of those classes- realize the B's are good, but not good enough! Volunteer more, and enjoy those days off (walking in the park alone, stress-free), you don't get a lot of those days anymore! Show your mom love, and care for her in anyway possible. She has done the best that a mother can do for her children! In total- do not underestimate yourself. You are incredibly smart, you make your mother so proud!

nichole

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself, I would laugh first because it would be so unusal. I would tell me to push myself harder, study more, and take classes that would get me there sooner, and I would be proud of what I am to become. In high school being a fire fighter was not an option whereas today it is. I am a vol. fire fighter right now and would be proud to become one full time. I love helping people as I did in high school and have an appreciation for what the job entails.

Alonzo

The girls, weight room, game room , videogames, and parties are fun and all but your future in life depends on how much you study, listen, and pay attention . Live in the library the research materials and tutors ae your lifes blood in the educational system you should stay with the tutors for at least six hours or more if you have to on a subject you are struggling in. The fun things will always be there after you are done with your schoolastic responsibilities. Keep up the intensity on your studies don't get lazy and start slacking you will always be your worst enemy do not fall prey to your old habits. Don't worry about the financial part God will take care of it; but that doesn't mean don't get a job or stop looking for scholarship money just have confidence you will find the money. Last but not least you are a strong intelligent black man act like it!

Terry

If time travel were possible I would go back to my, highschool, self and give myself advice about college life and making the transition. The lecture would go like this: give 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} to your school work, explore all career options and do not move out of your parents house. If it would have been life changing to hear that advice from myself. With my new perspective: I would have given 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} studying. Which would have improved my study skills resulting in better grades. I would have given myself more career goals by exploring more options. Then I would not have taken a two year break from college to figure out what I wanted in life. If I would not have moved out my senior year: I would have had time for studying, researching career goals and filling out scholarships. Overall I would have been better off academically and financially. Since time travel is impossible I have to take what I have learned about college life and making the transition and work extra hard. I have to give 200{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} studying. I must focus on my career goals. Most importantly I know now important making a future for myself is.

Ebonne

My advise to myself is this, stay focus, listen to my parents, and study harder. I would take time to research occupations and careers so that I would know my major going into college. I would tell myself, not to take a break, keep going and school is most important. Be prepared for the obstacles, it may seem impossible but really it's just a challenge! OVERCOME IT!! I would tell myself, my only friend is my education, my assoicates are my books, and watch out for anything that will come and distract you from your goal.

Yaminah

If I could go back in time I would have told my younger self not to allow relationships to stress me unnecessarily . That the realtionships now are so trivial , both with boys and my female friends . To stay focused on my future , never to have dropped out of college the first time I attended college . I would also tell myself not to allow money to stress me out , if need be to take out student loans . My college degree would give me security for the future , how the clothes , parties , all the trivial nonsense that consumed my thoughts back then will only side track you , if I allow them too . I would tell my younger self to make whatever sacrifices are necessary now , so that I won't have to struggle later , financially , physically or emotionally . Putting money first had me in a relationship where I was the victim of domestic violence . Had I known then what I know now , I would have never gotten into an abusive relationship , never would have dropped out of college . However going through that experience showed me how I needed to finish college . So I'd never be in a predicament like that again .

I would have worked harder in my classes and I would have studied for my ACT. I also would have started out at the Community College to save money and get on my feet, rather then have attended a private college and spent so much money.

Rita

You don't have to please anyone else or prove yourself to anyone, do what is best for you! It may seem like fun to go away to a big university, but it is easy to just become a little fish in a huge pond. Community college will allow you to stay close to home and have the support of your family, plus it is much more affordable! You will most likely change your major a few times before settling on what you really want to do in life. Take your time, take classes that you are interested in, and you will be happy with your college experience. When you take classes that you are interested in, the work doesn't really seem like work, it's fun! Community college is fun, you will make lots of friends, and the transition to a university will be easier!

India

Going back to my senior year i would advise myself to make the decisions upon whats best for me. I would also advise myself to get involved in everyway possible. Along with becoming involved, i would tell myself to take every opprotunity to better your gradres because it will pay off in the end. College life has really taught my to become humble and focused on the "Now" to imporve "Later".

The day you graduate will be the best moment in your life. Going to college is the next level of having your own responsibility and freedom to be experienced or learned. While in college you can pick you own class and the time of the class to fit your schedule. In college you can have the choice when or how long you will finish college. When you go to college, pay attention, as you are paying for your classes.

When I look back at myself as a senior in high school I now see how unprepared I was for college. I expected it to be an extremely boring walk in the park. I didnt get excited about going to college at all just because it was a community college. I spent the whole summer slumping around because all my friends were leaving and going to big universities and I was stuck at home just because I didnt have enough money to move away just yet. I spent most of my first semester stuck in the same funk because I thought community colleges were a joke. Once I finally decided to give it a chance I really enjoy community college and wish I hadnt wasted so much time. If I would have started getting involved when I started taking classes there as a high school senior I would have realized how much community colleges have to offer. I would have loved to take full advantage of some of the opportunities that I missed out on like trying out for the softball team. Basically never make assumptions, take full advantage of every opportunity given to you.

Jimella

During high school I suffered with serious health concerns due to a rare autoimmune disorder, including a total hip replacement my senior year. This resulted in me spending the majority of my senior year completing missed assignments. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would spend unlimited time pushing myself to prepare for the A.C.T. better, and apply for more grants and scholarships. I would also encourage myself to spend more time searching for universities who accommodate disabled students well. Today, I?m attending a local community college due to financial and health reasons, but all of these events in my life has inspired my service others. I?ve begun tutoring children in the community, and I?m also very active at my church in the community outreach program (N.A.C.O.). I?m very adamant about preparing students and making a positive impact on their lives. On a weekly basis I donated time to the N.A.C.O. program and provide tutoring, mentoring, and counseling services to the children in the program. Community service has given me an opportunity to change lives, including my own.

I should have followed through with a science degree. Go with your heart and soul not what others say or suggest to you

Jon

Send out invitations to high school graduation. You get money from almost everyone. Also, don't be afraid to get started because you don't know what you want to do. Just get started and if you are looking you will find it.