Saint Louis University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Saint Louis University

Brenna

SLU is a really fun place. It takes COVID-19 very seriously and the academics are great. SLU is also being more proactive about its history and recognizing its students' struggles. SLU is also located in beautiful Midtown St. Louis. It really is a great university.

Lola

I fell totally in love with my university the first day. The campus in Madrid, Spain, is also excellent and with an amazing and open-minded community. I met people from all over the globe along with their traditions, languages and cultures and I have completely loved every part of it. I totally recommend this incredible experience I am having.

Ann

Saint Louis University has a great environment. The campus is really pretty in the fall with all of the colorful leaves on the many trees. The students here are so welcoming and friendly. It's really easy to get involved on campus, with so many different clubs and sports to choose from. It's a great school.

Lily

I truly love this school. The people here are fantastic and genuine. The professors are more than willing to be open, accommodating, and they are great at explaining any question you might have. The faculties of the school are mediocre but well kept. Overall, I would most definitely choose to go here if I had the opportunity to choose again.

Jesus

This university is a good one, however it's prices are a bit hefty for what is offered. I love the academics and rigor here at SLU. The housing is in the improvement stage, which is great but again, the price ranges for living on-campus are difficult to tackle.

Auleiyah

This private college is perfect for those who enjoy a smaller population that allows them to easily connect to others. In my personal experience, the professors are more than willing to lend a hand as well as the students. SLU provides tons of resources to aid in the success of their students and it provides an overall great environment.

Victoria

As a married, 20-year-old, full-time nursing student I can provide an opinion from a unique point of view. Although I commute from a nearby suburb of St. Louis, I feel as welcome as a resident in the community. SLU's Oath of Inclusion doesn't lie when it says "We, as students, from a diverse and vibrant community." This is immediately evident when walking down West Pine, the main walkway of campus. There are countless organizations and clubs revolving around different cultures and they welcome anyone and everyone. The faculty's focus is solely on the students and preparing them for the career path they have chosen. While some meal plans don't fit the need of a "commuter", SLU has various options for all 7 meals of the day! I haven't had the chance to experience the cafeteria food, but the restaurants placed on and around campus are nutritious while delicious. While parking can be hectic in the mid-day, I've come to realize that if I show up early enough I'm sure to find a spot somewhere. Parking passes seem to be very expensive for the lack of spaces they provide. But, even if you park far away SLU offers a safety escort for students after their late night study sessions. Saint Louis University was, and continues to be my number 1 choice. This campus provides resources for success, growth, and passion.

Esther

Saint louis universiy is a good school. There are some safety issues based on the area where the campus is. The food in the cafeteria isn't the best but it is okay. There are some teachers who are extremely good at their jobs while there are others who do not really care. If you want a cheap school for a good education, this is not the place for you. They make you pay a ton for an okay education.

Paul

I am currently a SLU student that plans to transfer to St. John's University in New York. Even though I am planning to leave SLU, I want to leave a review for the university. Firstly, the campus is very beautiful despite being in a sub par area in St. Louis. It is somewhat risky for you to go out by yourself at night so it is safer to travel in groups. Some of the advisors are better than others. I first had a difficult time because I had an advisor who advised me to enroll in a class that I did not need to attend. But I eventually got a new advisor who helped me and tried to emotionally support me. Some of the professors are very good to. Some of them engage with the students and try to establish some sort of relationship with the students so that they are more willing to participate in class.

Stacey

As with any college, what you put in is what you will get out. There are exceptional professors whose love for educating is obvious through their effortless teaching and there are others that struggle to teach as much as you struggle to understand what they are teaching. The important thing is to always meet with professors to discuss issues and progress in class and to follow up any face to face conversations with emails to have everything in writing and ensure everyone left with the same goal.

Grace

Lovely campus, they keep it up well and the buildings are gorgeous. The students joke that the workers will plant flowers at night so when you wake up they are there! There are so many new buildings and facilities that bring in great food options like subway, chipotle, starbucks, chik-fil-a, a grill, and then on-campus grocery stores. The buildings are pretty close together so walking to class is really nice. Also, there is one main road that everyone walks down to get to all of the classes so seeing friends is common. There is a pool that we call "sluruba" because they put in palm trees when the weather is nice. Also, there is always campus security keeping everything safe, and always something to do.

Karis

From the moment you step on campus, you are embraced by a community that cares about you and your success. There are so many opportunities for you to explore your interests and get involved in activities that you are passionate about. The school focuses on academic growth, as well as spiritual, physical, and emotional growth. I am so glad to be a student at Saint Louis University.

Maggie

SLU has really excellent professors, classes, advisors and resources for learning. All people I've met are intellectual and curious about things. Everyone there is very ambitious and passionate about one thing or another. The location is wonderful and I adore St. Louis. However, it is very expensive and private medium sized college in the midwest, so it's not very diverse and you meet a lot of the same type of person. Also the freshman meal plan sucks. It's a pretty good school over all n my opinion.

Fareeha

Overall, Saint Louis University is a great place to be depending on how involved you are in the school. If you're living on campus you'll have a better experience and meet more people and stay more involved. This school is what you make of it and if you put in the effort, the next four years will be amazing.

Abbigail

It is the best choice I could have ever made for a college. The people are friendly, the professors are incredibly qualified, and my overall experience has been great. I am only a freshman but I cannot wait to spend the next 3 years here growing into the well rounded individual that SLU is setting me up to be.

Christian

Ultimatly, It seems that everyone is happy with pretty much everything of the school. It’s not too big but big enough so It has anything you can ask for in a college. It’s a good place to have a good college experience without The craze of enourmous and obnoxious schools. All the people here are soooo nice, friendly, and loving. Definently not a party school but there is a good party scene. They are in the process of renovating the Residence halls, which were terrible before. Good place to go if Academics are very important, but still have some fun and passionate with Social Justice, Service, helping others, Anything medicine health related, and don’t mind giving the big fun game day experience, and also don’t mind going to college in the middle of a city in a kind of bad neighborhood. However it’s a pretty good city though. I would recommend a car.

James

It's a developing campus that will be great in a couple of years. I feel like our policies on campus do not reflect the student body. That's mainly due to younger crowds being fairly liberal. But, altogether, Saint Louis always has something to do. This makes SLU and decent school.

Rosemary

Saint Louis University is a lovely Jesuit university with a dedication to community service and developing the whole person. The students' dedication to social justice is palpable, and while not all students are politically active, there is pressure to become involved in causes you believe in, which leads to a fuller educational experience.

Emma

SLU is the perfect size school, where you can walk through main campus and see familiar faces and meet someone new. The class sizes range from small to large and offer a lot of student participation opportunities. The curriculum is rigorous but worth it. Teacher are fair and the community is welcoming. Go Billikens!

Alexis

SLU is a fantastic environment with a lot to offer. It has a diverse student body that is rich in different interests and talents. SLU is made to build leaders and promote higher level thinking. SLU has made me a more well-rounded person and I will graduate with more than just a degree.

SLU is a great community. I love it. The student body is a little lacking in diversity, but students try to be politically engaged.

Karmen

I love how easy the campus is to navigate with a straight path down the middle towards the clocktower and further down to Laclede. The main campus buildings are beautiful and close to the outside city life. I found it nice to almost be 'forced' to navigate all around campus so we are not secluded.

Emilie

My overall opinion of Saint Louis University is that it is an open and welcoming school that holds an accepting attitude to anyone and everyone. Located in the heart of St. Louis, Saint Louis University works with their students to help them meet their goals in life both on and off campus. SLU holds many opportunities for students ranging from Greek life to Learning Communities. The SLU faculty works alongside their students to ensure the best results for their educational careers. The campus is very secure and the security team works tirelessly in order to keep their students safe on weekdays, weekends, or university holidays. With all this in mind, Saint Louis University is an institution that I am proud to call my school for the next 6 years.

Rebecca

There is little funding and professors do not care about their students. The University has cut numerous staff and the confusion has been taken out on the students. Faculty are constantly leaving SLU, sometimes in the middle of the semester. I do not recommend SLU at all.

RIC

Saint Louis University has allowed me to achieve my highest results and they continue to help support me to even get higher in my academics. As a catholic school, I never understood the reasoning behind the cost, but instructors and staff are always available which makes my college life experience a great one!

Emma

I love SLU so much! I have only been on campus for a month, but right from the first week it already felt like home. You will always see a familiar face walking around campus or in your classes, and the sense of community is very strong. Everyone is so welcoming and kind. The campus is beautiful, with so many green spaces and fountains, it does not feel like we are in the middle of a big city. Being in a large city provides students with multiple opportunities to get involved in the community off campus, as well as countless employment opportunities. All of the professors are wonderful and they genuinely want you to succeed.

Natalie

10/10. I absolutely love Saint Louis University! It is an amazing place with a variety of individuals from different backgrounds. This is a place filled with incredible staff, dining halls, recreational activities, etc. I am very pleased with attending this university.

Subin

I love the campus, it's so quiet and beautiful. The plants are always taken care of and it's just feels nice to walk around and see the view. There are so many ways to get involved on campus and easily able to join. Also, there are so many resources to help you.

Carlie

I am beyond pleased with Saint Louis University. They provide a lot of financial​ aid, and the facilities here are out of this world. I am impressed with the quality of the teachers, facilities and overall quality of learning. Everyone here is also really nice and want everyone to get involved

Sidney

I absolutely love Saint Louis University! I have grown a lot as a person since I arrived on campus. The students here are engaged in volunteering and community service and are truly trying to make the world a better place. The students are incredibly kind and genuinely want their peers to succeed which creates an incredibly supportive environment.

rebecca

As a first generation college student and St Louisan, I was excited and very much proud to attend Saint Louis University. I was soon met with disappointment and rejection. The academics are renowned locally and nationally so the education is undoubtedly superb, but the personal experience for minorities is terrible. I did try. I joined clubs and sports organizations alike, but just like in class, I was ignored or expected to be a stereotype representing the likes and culture of my entire race. Diversity and inclusion are marketed fiercely, freshmen are even required to attending a diversity and inclusion seminar. That did not stop the racist acts the occasionally made the news in Saint Louis (swastikas and the n word incidences). Eventually I left because my program was eliminated, my major was changed along with my anemic advisor very year, each knowing less than the last for 3 years. I was put in classes I did not need and that were too advanced. Therefore I failed a class, lost my scholarship, and left as I could not afford the extremely high tuition. Also it is smack dab in the middle of a dangerous city where students get robbed and one girl even got her throat slit for her iPhone. I hope this helps someone who is unsure.

Hope

I love SLU. The community is great. I feel like I am always heard and everyday is a new adventure. There are over two hundred clubs and organizations available to students and if you don't find what you want you can start your own! There are also learning communities which have been a blast for me. It is a community of people with similar interests or majors as you and it helps you meet people really easily.

Kelley

Saint Louis University is a university which thrives upon the success of the people who attend and who are involved in the community. We are proud of the significance of the Jesuit mission and shaping all students to be men and women for and with others. SLU has given me a place to meet incredible new people, grow in my Catholic faith, and learn in the classroom, as well as about myself each and every day.

Magalene

Saint Louis University is a great school for a Jesuit/Catholic education. Just because we are Jesuit doesn't mean we don't how to party! There is not much night life during the week but on the weekends, the off-campus apartments light up with music, strobe lights, and students running from party to party. Many of these parties are hosted by our sports team on campus. Our men's basketball team is what we are most known for (God Bless, Roll Bills!) as they just made it tot the March Madness tournament for the first time in 5 years. Our men's and women's soccer teams are also pretty good while they are not as recognized as the basketball team. Even though SLU is a DI school, there are still aver 30 club sports for students who don't want to play at such a competitive level. On top of the 30 club sports teams, there are also hundreds of other clubs on campus ranging from the weekly Campion Society to SLU Smash Tournament. Even if there is not a club you like, you can start your own pretty easily. After all the fun stuff, there is still the academics to think about. SLU has outstanding academics with professors who are always there to help you. I'm not going to lie, the classes aren't least, but the professors know that and are always telling students to come to office hours and making time outside of class to meet with students who might be struggling. Not only are the professors trying to help the students, but fellow students are always there for each other. Peer study sessions with tips learned from a review sessions with a professor are quite common to be seen around campus. None of the students are trying to push each other out of the program so they can get their spot; they all genuinely want the best for each other and for them to succeed. The one downfall on campus is the food. Most of the food is OK but they can run out of food in the dining hall very quickly and replace it with mediocre food. They have you classic burgers and pizza, but the healthy options like vegetables are less than subpar. If you have dietary restriction, be prepared to not have much to eat on campus. The only place to get good food for people with dietary restrictions is on the Med Campus where they have an all organic and locally sourced food. Even though there is not a lot of great on campus food options, there are some great off campus food options. There is a Chipotle and two Starbucks within walking distance to campus and a grocery store a five minute Uber ride away. While the food is pretty sub-par, the dorms are just a little bit better. I mean they are college dorms so of course they aren't a five-star luxury hotel. There are about 8 dorms on campus with them spread out pretty evenly all throughout the campus so you are never too far from wherever you want to be. Overall, the campus has a wonderful atmosphere that is very welcoming to all students and is very supportive of all students. I always tell people that if I did the college search again, I would still choose SLU.

Samiha

EXCELLENT

Claire

This is my dream school and I couldn't be happier with my choice to attend SLU! I love the campus and everything about the school. The people are amazing, as well as the teachers. The campus is safe, and clean, and we have everything we need on campus. We also have a wonderful area of programs for all majors.

SLU provides many opportunities for all kinds of students. It keeps up with recent technology as well as social culture. It is respectful of all students and truly cares for each. Campus is beautiful and well kept, classes are good sizes and promote great discussions, professors are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Peers are always positive and willing to lend a hand. Campus safety is known as DPS as does an amazing job making sure students are not only safe on campus while classes are running but also in the evenings, overnight, and on the weekends. They are an amazing resource for small issues as well as emergencies.

Rose

I absolutely love SLU. I cannot express enough how thankful I am for SLU and everything it has given to me. Students will tell you that it's the people who make all the difference and it's so true. I have met my best friends, my future bridesmaids here. There is always something to do, and honestly, coming here is the best decision I have ever made.

Jackson

I have only been at SLU for a short time but so far my experience has been wonderful. Everyone on campus whether they are a student or a faculty member treats you with respect. There are so many things to do on and off campus. I believe I made a great choice when deciding to attend Saint Louis University.

Are you looking for the baddest city squirrels in the midwest? Can't find the weirdest college mascot? Look no further than SLU! Top-knotch education tailored to your interests, but comes with a hefty price tag, although there are tons of scholarships available. SLU really pushes community involvement and students rack up hundreds of thousands of volunteer hours every year. My favorite part about SLU (other than our crazy squirrels) was how many clubs/organizations there were on campus and how most of them focused on giving back to the community and the world! I wish it was more affordable, but SLU has done a great job of setting me up for success post-graduation. I would 100% choose SLU again!

Kyli

My overall opinion of Saint Louis University is that it is decent. I give it a 3 out of 5 stars. There is nothing glaringly wrong with the school, but there are several things they could do to improve the lives of students here. First, I would like to see more restaurant chains on or near campus. We have a few and it's really nice that they offer Meal Swipe Exchange, but the same-old meals get old after about 3 months of rotating through them. Next, other than Grand and Spring, the housing could use a major update. I live in Reinert Hall and almost all the furniture is broken somehow and the bathrooms need some serious attention. I love having a private bathroom instead of a community, but our bathrooms don't have exhaust fans so there is mold on the ceiling of every bathroom I've gone in here. I also think we should have more opportunities for activities, especially on weekends. I don't go home every weekend because I live over 3 hours away and I feel so bored sitting in my room or in a study room on campus. I wish SLU would sponsor weekend activities like other colleges in the area.

Mackenzie

A highly academic place. Great for people who love to learn and enjoy an urban environment. There is a very service heavy list of extracurriculars and could use a wider range of clubs. The campus is absolutely beautiful but could use some food and shopping that is closer to campus but has everything that you could need within a couple minutes drive.

Adelaide

The study abroad program in Madrid is fantastic. The fact that I can finish my US degree in international business in an international environment is something that very few schools have to offer. SLU offers you the ability to fully immerse in another culture, thus gaining immense cultural and academic knowledge.

Cayce

I think it is a great school full of diverse individuals that have opened my eyes to different avenues of life. The academics push me to become the best student, while campus life fits perfectly into the a happy medium of how active it is. If I could change one thing , I would bring back Chick-fil-A.

Joshua

I believe that Saint Louis University is an outstanding college for anyone willing to put in the work and achieve their goals. Saint Louis University is a top choice school for anyone in the area looking for a school of medicine or school of law. Saint Louis University is one of the biggest medical schools in the Saint Louis area.

Ananta

Saint Louis University is a great place to be at. There are always people to help you in terms of the academics. Professors always have regular office hours and are happy to answer questions at the end of class. Also, there are other opportunities such as Supplemental Instruction, the Writing Center, and tutoring if you every need extra help.

Zanieb

Saint Louis University has a great university for those looking for a good education while enjoying their experience. It has a beautiful campus and located in the middle of the city that has a great amount of activities and places to see. The students are all friendly and you're guaranteed to find a group of friends for yourself. As for academics, SLU would fit students seeking a degree in a sciences or engineering field, but not so much for any artistic aspects.