Moraga, CA
Saint Mary's College of California

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's College of California

Shelby

I have made so many friends from all over the world at Saint Mary's! And the teachers are wonderful! Not only am I able to contact my teachers outside of class if I have any questions or concerns, but I am able to talk to them about anything. I have truely become more independent at Saint Mary's and am happy with who I am.

The worst thing about Saint Mary's is the partiers, because they are loud and annoying, especially at 2 AM. A word of advice, avoid living in or around De La Salle hall.

Anyone and everyone! But especially athletes because Saint Mary's offers alot of benefits for those who are althetically inclined. Also those wanting to get involved in the school and its numerous activities should consider Saint Mary's.

Vina

What i have gotten out of my college experience, is that i learned to have time management, As in going to class 5 mins early or setting a time for me to do my homework and then setting a time for me to have fun and actually have a social life. It has been valuable to attend to St Marys because i get the college experience ,but yet i get more from the school because it is a liberal arts school and i dont have to be concern about not getting the classes i need, this is a benefit to have all the classes i need and want while knowing that the classes are going to be small. Which is another reason why i am doing so well in classes and out because the smaller classes are the mor ehelp you will get and the more friends you will make compared to a large school like a university.

Before i came to St Marys i wish that i would have known that the school isnt as big as i thought it would be.

What i brag about the most to my friends is that the people are are really outgoing and the professors here are willing to help students get a better grade in the class. They often tell students to go to certain workshops and even gives credit for on campus events that are related to the class.

hazel

Saint Mary's College is a liberal arts school that focuses on opening the mind of students to new things and to think deeply with happenings.

I have found what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have learned that I can be whoever I want to be as long as I use all my resources to help me get there. Saint Mary's gave me the opportunity to have great teachers who are dedicated and will help their students succeed as long as they are dedicated too. The school also helps map out your four years of college so that you know what to expect. The small classrooms also help you get one on one attention from the teacher and you get to know eveyrone on campus. I value Saint Mary's College because I know one day I will look back and know that this is where I found my self.

The best thing about my school is the teachers. No matter what type of situation you are in, they will help you no matter what and no questions ask. They are dedicated and want you to succeed.

I've always been a small school kind of girl. So when choosing between the schools that I applied to, I looked at the community aspect. St. Mary's is a small campus, allowing me to know everyone in my class, which some people may not like it, but I do. With a small community come smaller class sizes; this allows for me to get that extra help that I need. Just the other day, for my Jan term class, I went to my professor's house for lunch. At what other school can you do that?

College is where many different people come together for the purpose of obtaining an education. With all these people come different cultures, ideas, and anything else; college isn't just about learning in the classroom, but also outside the classroom from your friends and peers. Take advantage of learning about life in Australia, homosexuality, poverty, or whatever. After one semester at St. Mary's, I've definitely learned a lot from my friends. From Hannah, I learned about faith and God. I am not a devout Catholic, but she is. She claims that she has heard God's calling, so after one semester of being a biochemist major with straight A's, she will be leaving school in order to enter a convent. I don't understand how anyone can do this, but she explained to me that God wants her to in order to help others in need. This is just one person that I have learned from out of the 5,000 students attending St. Mary?s, so imagine what else I can learn about from everyone else. So what would I tell myself as a high school senior? I would say be open-minded to everything.

After attending one semester of college, what I wish I had known before is that no one cares! College isn't like high school where people judge others. You know why? It's because people have other things to worry about besides what it is that you're wearing or what you're doing. They have to worry about classes, jobs, futures, and other things. So with no one judging you, don't be afraid of trying new things. Especially since through experimentation, you can find out who you are, which is what college is all about.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to learn the proper way to study and write papers. In high school I was able to do well without studying but had a reality shock on my first exam of college. Besides studying, focus on time management. I was involved with three sports and four clubs but always kind of winged it. Once I got to college I had to make the adjustment to balancing classes, activities, homework, down time and just getting to sleep by a reasonable time. Based on the social point of view, I would have told myself not to worry so much about what others think. When you get to college you meet people from different backgrounds and different experiences that it doesn't matter what you have or haven't done or amount of friends you have. Do what makes you happy and feel comfortable. Also be friendly and nice to everyone. It makes meeting people and forming relationships with your new peers who are complete strangers easier. By this point, I truly have changed a lot but I wish I had been more prepared before coming to school and being completely alone.

I wish I had known more about this school social wise. I came from a big high school but I thought coming to a college of 3500 students would be different but it's not. In the beginning it felt like the were cliques but now that I am pledging a sorority, I've met a lot more new people. Besides that, I wish I knew how difficult it was to get the classes you want. Many students had to take a random class or two just to meet the credit requirements.

The type of person that should attend this school is the type that likes a beautiful small campus. If you like to see familiar faces whether it be walking to class, going to the cafe, or going to the on campus movie theater. Since it is a small school, clubs, sports and greek life are very important. So if a person wants to make strong relationships, get involved on campus and enjoy the many benefits of coming to a small private school, I highly recommend it.

Emma

My classmates love to have fun and party but when it comes to studying, they know how to buckle down and succeed.

I've never been the most social or outgoing kid in the group or the brainiac that everyone wants to study with. I consider myself your average, everyday student just trying to get by with decent grades and a reputation that keeps me out of trouble. Beginning college was my chance to change all of that and start a new me with new titles to call my own. I entered college timid and shy and let these traits overtake the ambitions that I had been so excited to achieve. College is about coming out of your shell and displaying the underlying, no-strings-attached you that has been waiting to burst out for the world to see. I know that now, with three semesters of college under my belt. I wish I could run back in time and give my newly graduated, apprehensive self a little shove in the right direction. The longer you stay outside of the spotlight, the more afraid you are to step into it. I don't know if I'll ever be able to make up for the time I stayed in the shadows, but I guess it's never too late to try.

Saint Mary's isn't for everyone. This small school is located in a relatively rural town in the East Bay. It is a perfect school for someone who is focused on the ultimate goal of college: an education and personal growth. Though partying is not the top priority here, having a good time is definitely not uncommon. Someone who can accept that fact and can create their own fun with the other vibrant students here will have an amazing college experience at Saint Mary's.

Saint Mary's College of California is best known for its excellent basketball teams, which have ranked in the Associated Press and ESPN top 25 for the past 2 seasons. Both the men's and women's teams compete in the West Coast Conference, and Gael Force, a crowd of hundreds of students wearing bright red shirts, is always there to cheer them on. Gael Force is an easy club to join, and it gets free tickets to the games, which is always a plus.

College is a lot less scary than you think it will be. I know that being away from home for an extended period for quite possibly the first time in your life can be a horrifying prospect, but once you get used to dorm life and taking college-level classes, it's amazing. Also, don't assume that a problem between you and and your roommate is necessarily a condemnation of your character; sometimes people just clash with each other through no fault of their own. Additionally, if you wish to maintain a long-distance relationship, or if you're getting a bit homesick, get a chat program on your computer such as iChat or Skype onto your computer. The ability to see your partner or you family face to face while chatting with them is quite a blessing, and will alleviate any feelings of homesickness you may have. As for your major, go for what you love; you love music with all your heart, so go for it! Also, you will miss taking math, because though it seems a bit bland at times, it stimulates your mind like nothing else; therefore, go for the double major (and minor)!

The most frustrating thing about Saint Mary's College of California is that a lot of students often complain about the food served at Oliver Hall. It's a lot better than quite a few students give it credit for. Granted, the food served at San Francisco's many restaurants is often better, but for college food, the food served at Oliver Hall is very good, especially their soups. It just gets a little awkward hearing one's peers consistenly criticize the food here.

Elissa

If I could go back in time to just about a year ago and see myself as a high school senior, there are a lot of things I would want to tell myself. I would give myself the advice that was always in the back of my mind, that I never took: get involved. Since I have been at Saint Mary's, being involved in school activities has been relatively easy, except for the fact that I do not have many high school activities to improve my resume. If I had been more involved in high school and had been in more leadership positions, it would be so easy to participate now. Before, I was afraid of taking the first step to becoming involved, but Saint Mary's has shown me the importance of participating in activities and that people actually care whether or not I do become involved. I think leadership is an important skill for everyone to learn and I wish I could have begun to learn this earlier.

The best thing about Saint Mary's is the unique set of traditions which make up the school. Saint Mary's is guided by the Catholic, Liberal Arts, and Lasallian traditions which really give it a warm, community feeling. Saint Mary's is a really close-knit school where in my brief time here, I have already developed many new friendships and found ways to become involved on campus.

Almost anyone can find something they like about Saint Mary's. It is difficult for me to say what kind of person would not enjoy their time spent here. I would say someone who does not like interacting with people should not attend Saint Mary's. I say this because at Saint Mary's one will not find lecture halls filled with 300 students, but they will find small, intimate class settings.

Clifford

I would tell myself to not rush to a major college and take time at community college as an undecided major until I was sure of what I wanted to pursue as a degree. I would also say to network with as many people in your classes and involve yourself in a lot of activities. Work is important but volunteering is helpful in the long run for other people and yourself. Studying is important and it's good to read ahead and go over each section every day and quiz yourself or get a study group together. Don't be shy and take the first step in making a new friend. College is about learning and building skills in your career and networking with people so attend many events, connect, and aim for the best. Don't go overboard on student loans and watch your personal debt as far as credit cards and other loans like a car. Most importantly, take summer classes if you can so you can graduate earlier. Vacations are for when you have your career!

Erica

It is a small campus which allows the professor to know you as a person rather than just a number; therefore, forming a strong community and a sense of familiarity between students and faculty.

The advice I would give myself would be to get involved in the activities that occur around campus because that is a great way to meet a variety of people. I would also tell myself that time management is key in being able to balance school as well as work; therefore, by making a detailed schedule will allow me not to feel overwhelmed . Approaching your professors with questions and getting to know them would be another piece of advice because the they are always willing to help Last but not least I would tell myself to be strong as well as wise in order to overcome any obstacle in our path which might prevent me from accomplishing any goal.

The times that the cafeteria is open because at times students want to go and get a snack before their next class but are unable to because it is not open.

Saint Mary's College of California administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.