Moraga, CA
Saint Mary's College of California

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint Mary's College of California

Sarina

I would tell myself, the most important thing about attending college is to have sufficient funds. There is so much free money being given away, just make sure to apply for scholarships, and grants before you apply for loans. Even if its only a $500 scholarship, that'll pay for your books for a semester. It's great to not have to pay back money after you graduate, just make sure you apply. It never hursts to try.

Julianne

My classmates are diverse in everything from interests and background to beliefs and values; all of us have the ability to live our own lives while learning and growing from each other, with each of us having a different perspective to present.

If I were to go back to high school, I would tell myself to not allow others' opinions to sway me or influence my choices. College is about finding and developing my own ideas and beliefs and that does not depend on others' ideas and beliefs. The transition is hard, I left my family two states away, but it is not only possible, it is an amazing experience. I found out so much about myself and those around me, including how to articulate my own beliefs while respecting others' differing beliefs. I would tell myself to always stick to my gut feeling, it won't lie to me, and believe in myself and allow others to do the same. College life is crazy, busy, and loud. There are so many opinions, questions, and ideas being thrown around, it's easy to get lost in it all. It is about finding my own voice in all this noise, though, and developing that along the path I want to take not the path others want me too. College is the time to explore, develop, and live my own life and dreams.

St. Mary's really gives you the chance to explore new areas of study through our seminar program. It makes you think, question, and discuss. It pushes you to articulate your beliefs and interests and help other students do the same. Living in the Bay Area opens up so many opportunities to explore, whether it's an internship, cultural experiences, or new kinds of people. With the surrounding areas and the ability to investigate new interests, SMC offers the chance to expand your experiences and deepen your understanding of your own wants and desires.

Julianne

Saint Mary's College is a beautiful campus filled with people who are not only intelligent, but extremely friendly as well.

Dear Past Me, It will be hard to believe that I am writing from the future, but it is important to listen carefully. I want you to have a wonderful experience in college?but you need to know that things like this won?t just be handed to you. For starters, college classes are nothing like your classes now. However, it is still important to pay attention in class and to always do the best that you can. Believe me; it?ll help build good habits for your college career, and the transition will be much easier. Most importantly: get into the habit of managing your time. (Yes, this means not procrastinating, as horrifying as it seems!) If you get this skill down, college will be a piece of cake! While everyone else is worrying about the essays that are due tomorrow, you will be able to have some stress-free time to yourself. Your time will be filled quickly, and new friends will be made...but don?t forget your family and friends from home. Check in on them every so often; it will help keep you balanced. Sincerely, Future You PS--Don?t be afraid to take naps!

The worst thing about Saint Mary's is the cost. It is understandable for a private college with small class sizes, but for an average family, the price still weighs heavily on income with school scholarships and aid.

Angelina

We are quite well known for our NCAA Division 1 Boys Basketball Team and Womens Volleyball Team, however most notably we are known for our commitment to our students and fostering the relationship between them and fauculty members. We also have many courses specific to SMC. Our seminar class is a class where students read the writings of ancient-modern thinkers (Aristotle, Machiavelli, St Augustine, MLK Jr., etc) then lead their own discussion based on their readings. We also have January Term, when you take just one class focused on fun subjects for the entire month of January.

First of all, start early. Start looking at colleges and applying for scholarships. The more work you do now the less stress later. Start doing things yourself whether it be paying for gas or getting a summer job. The students we are more engrossed in their finances are the ones who come across looking professional and getting a head start over those whose daddies still pay their bills. When it comes to actually chosing a college, I recommend sitting down with a notepad and listing everything you want out of a college. It doesn't matter if they seem like silly things, put them down anyway. Do you want a college close to home? Do you want a college on the beach? In the moutains? In another country? Do you look good in that school's colors? There are thousands of colleges around the world and your list should help you to narrow those choices down. After that, visit the remaining schools because if it's someplace you are going to live for the next 4+ years of your life, you'll want to make sure that it meets all of your standards and that to you, it's home.

A person who enjoys individualized attention from their professors and a strong sense of school pride.

Victoria

My school is very small private college in a small town that aims towards being seen as a close community.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to go to the college that would make me happy. I would say to do a lot of research and be 100% sure that this is the college I want to go to. Do not go to a college that would impress my family or friends, go to a college for me because at the end of the day I will be the one attending that college for four years. Yes, I should listen other opinions and I should keep an open mind, but do not let those other voices over power my own. If I go to a college that my parents want then I will spend my whole life giving others what they want. It is my life and you only get to live once. Live it to the fullest and do what will make you happy.

The worst thing about my school is since it is so small, the college experience is lost. There is not a football team and there is not much school spirit.

Laura

My Classmates are friendly and kind, they are usually willing to help out any one who asks. the classes are very small and that makes the teacher have more interaction with all of us.

My school is better because the campus is beautiful and the teachers are excellent and willing to help all the time.

All I would say is be open to everything! College is an experience and you need to talk to many people and not shy away from events just because you don't know many people. Also, Good luck!

Ceamantha

Start researching on college options and programs earlier on. Read more news and public affairs information. Sleep more, because in college, you'll get so little. Enjoy the summers you don't have to work and worry about your future. Reseach on internships that you could be interested in. Do better in either math or science so that you'll end up with a more lucrative major -- like engineering or medicine.

people who are laid back; would like professors to know them by name and are accommodating

Rosemeri

It is a bit exclusive and a little hidden away but it is ridiculously gorgeous everyday.

My classmates are intelligent, interesting and definitely have their own personality while still being wonderful, friendly people that really care about each other.

The best thing you can do for yourself when preparing FOR college is to get all your paperwork done before Chirstmas Break during your senior year of high school. Before and after you apply to schools, walk the campuses. Get a feel for what the college is like becuase you're going to be spending most if not all your time there during the school year. Once you're in the school you want to be in, do your work first THEN party. Everything will be easier for you if you just do work first then play.

Jackie

Look into the costs especially the hidden costs and really understand your aide packages and think about what you feel would be right for you. Every school is different and no matter what it may cost it may be what you want. Think about the programs tha you would like to see most and just be well informed.,..

Someone who can work hard and be motivated is more likely to suceed at this school.

I think that a person who is unprepared and not willing to work hard for their dreams should not attend this school.

Ragen

St. Mary's is known for being a liberal arts college. We have a wonderful seminar program which allows students to discuss literary works. We pride ourselves on being a community. We support our amazing basketball team rigorously. The alumni are fiercely loyal and provide many connections for job placement. St. Mary's College is a beautiful campus where students feel at home and connected.

Tour campuses. Talk to students attended school. Participate in overnight visits. Determine what components you find important in a college. Lists including pros and cons help tremendously. The day I decided on St. Mary's, I was in my high school's college center. I laid on the floor in the fetal position with my head on top of a massive college book. One of my teachers, Mrs. Sparks, came in and I spilled my sob story about confusion, doubt, fear, and anxiety. Choosing a college was such a big deal. She talked to me and listened to me. After hearing about my college search thus far, she repeated all the things I had gotten exited about during our talk. All these details I had lit up about lead me straight to St. Mary's and I could not be happier. Ultimately, find the school that feels like home. Listen to yourself when you think about what you want. College is what you make it. So find quality friends who care about you, find the silver lining in everything, and do not lose sight of the main reason you are there....to learn and better yourself.

The food could be better. A new kitchen is in the midst of being built; hopefully, with it will come new and improved meals.

Saint Mary's College of California administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.