Saint Mary’s College of California Top Questions

Maisa

The worst thing at my school was probably the lack of diversity. I am a Muslim and couldn’t connect with many Muslims on campus, and I would have loved to interact with a student organization that is similar to me. The diversity organizations were a bit of a joke when you compare bigger school’s organizations. I wish our orgs could have been to the scale of a California state or university school, but I know we were already limited because the small undergraduate population size.

Rochelle

The worst thng about my school would be the location. Here in Moraga, it is a nice close knit area, but it is away from everything such as the grocery store, gas station, etc. Saint Mary's itself is in the hills and getting to the closest grocery store requires a car and not every student has one. by far, the location of the campus is the worst thing, but besides that, everything is fine as it is.

Beatriz

I think the worst things about Saint Mary's was it's relative isolation. Even though it was in the bay area near very diverse, thriving cities - the town it was in itself left much to be desired as far as social life and cultural variety. Despite the number of 'diverse' students it still feels very elite and homogenic, which can be a difficult environment for a non-white, non-rich student.

The worst thing about Saint Mary's is the partiers, because they are loud and annoying, especially at 2 AM. A word of advice, avoid living in or around De La Salle hall.

The times that the cafeteria is open because at times students want to go and get a snack before their next class but are unable to because it is not open.

Julianne

The worst thing about Saint Mary's is the cost. It is understandable for a private college with small class sizes, but for an average family, the price still weighs heavily on income with school scholarships and aid.

The worst thing about my school is since it is so small, the college experience is lost. There is not a football team and there is not much school spirit.

in the middle of nowhere

Because it is a small campus, everyone knows everything and everyone about each other. That can be rather distracting, and creates a great deal of campus drama--it's like living in one giant family. That, and the financial aid could be much better; the cost of attending the school is so enormous that for anyone less than upper class, it takes a good deal of aid to attend. The office needs to provide increased aid to keep their best students.

Dennis

It would have to be diversity, ever since I first enrolled, I felt I did not exactly belong because of financial and ethnical boundaries. Also, I applied to this school because they claimed to have a pre-dental program/major. However, I discovered they had nothing of the sort.

The worst thing about SMC is that many students live around the community. Its hard because many go home on the weekend and for those of us who are either out-of-state or who live farther away from the school, there aren't many things to do on the weekends. Although, transportation is getting better for students who don't have cars on campus.

The worst thing about our school is the liberality. Most of the students, staff, and faculty have very liberal views on religion and politics.